Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

infinit
Topic Author

What was Iran Air like pre-revolution

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I came across some literature about how culturally liberal Iran was before the Islamic revolution of 1979.

I couldn't find much on Iran Air during the time beyond this article that shows its FAs in short skirts, a contrast to the present where all females on board need to have their hair covered and no alcohol is served:
https://stepfeed.com/10-photos-that-sho ... d-70s-4603

So what was Iran Air like in the 60s and 70s in terms of their hard and soft products, and were they doing well financially?

Channex757

Re: What was Iran Air like pre-revolution

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:50 pm

On a par with Pan Am, easily. They flew 747SPs and also had orders at one stage for Concordes.

It was a top shelf operator. IR and MEA in Lebanon were the Emirates and Etihad of their time.

ricport

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 pm

When I was a kid, we flew IR JFK - LHR - THR and return THR - FRA, as well as THR - IFN and THR - SYZ. It was 1976 - before they had any widebodies in the fleet. We flew all legs on 707s & 727s. On the international legs, the service seemed to be OK, but slightly below that of the U.S. carriers. On almost all of the legs, they were horribly delayed. One time, their excuse was they had to clean the toilets(!). We took Swissair from FRA - ZRH - JFK, and it was much, much better.

n729pa

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 pm

LHR had 3 flights a day in late 78. 707 from THR plus a 74L to JFK and another from JFK to THR. LHR had 550 staff based in London, that fell to 50 almost overnight at the time of the revolution. Before the revolution their central London office used to get the pro-Khomeini supporters come in, smash the place up and stray anti-Shah slogans all over the walls. After the revolution, the pro-Shah supporters would come in and do it. They had security on the door and a panic button linked to the Police.

I used to have a pre-revolution 747SP model, big one from the office that had its tail broken off in one of the office riots. It was in the old colours without the Islamic Republic titles, so it was nearly chucked out. Wish I still had it.

My dad worked for them from 1978-92, really nice people. They respected and treated the Western staff very well. Involved them in their religious festivals. Paid two bonuses a year, one at Christmas one at Iranian New Year. Shame politics etc get in the way.

I've still got a snow bubble (one of those things you shake and it snows). "Iran Air 747 daily to New York" it's says with a 747 flying past the Statue of Liberty. Guess it will be while before that happens again.

dangerhere

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Looks fun, just not sure what sort of language the guy is speaking :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDDd5BgeQe8

TheEuphorian

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm

It's basically the EK of the 70s