Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
tomaheath
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:55 am

I’ve gotten good ideas here in the past about planing up coming trips so I’ll give it a try again. Heading to LAS for the first time at the end of September for three and a half days. I arrive around 1 pm on the first day I was planning on visiting the strip on this day. I had a day trip to Death Valley in mind for another day. Day for the Hoover dam, lake Mead, Valley of Fire. Looking for some more ideas. I’ll be staying at the courtyard in green valley. Definitely more interested in natural sightseeing easy hiking scenic road trips things like that. Can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with. Thanks.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11223
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:20 am

uh.....Celine?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:08 am

Red Rock, Mt Charleston.

Also, at night, take the 215 south to 95 north, get off at Charleston, head east (turn right) take Charleston down to Nellis, right on Nellis, a couple of blocks take a left on Vegas Valley, take that all the way up, you will go past Hollywood, past the school on the right hand side, through the gate (it will be open) and you will end up in the best place to view the valley at night.
 
Airstud
Posts: 4890
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Red Rock, Mt Charleston.

Also, at night, take the 215 south to 95 north, get off at Charleston, head east (turn right) take Charleston down to Nellis, right on Nellis, a couple of blocks take a left on Vegas Valley, take that all the way up, you will go past Hollywood, past the school on the right hand side, through the gate (it will be open) and you will end up in the best place to view the valley at night.


Which, is what I said basically.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Airstud wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Red Rock, Mt Charleston.

Also, at night, take the 215 south to 95 north, get off at Charleston, head east (turn right) take Charleston down to Nellis, right on Nellis, a couple of blocks take a left on Vegas Valley, take that all the way up, you will go past Hollywood, past the school on the right hand side, through the gate (it will be open) and you will end up in the best place to view the valley at night.


Which, is what I said basically.


Okay...Where ?
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:23 pm

It's hard to do vegas in just a few days and get the whole experience. I've been a handful of times and still haven't even done hoover dam yet.

I know you're looking for natural scenic stuff but you need to also experience fremont street at night. Fremont is more enjoyable than the strip at night. Strip is enjoyable during the day.
 
aklrno
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Hiking in Red Rock Canyon is one of my favorites. If you are a tech geek, the Atomic Testing Museum on E. Flamingo is the kind d of thing you can see nowhere else. The Mob Museum in downtown Vegas is good too. If you can spend the night at Death Valley, and have a some money to spare, the Inn at Death Valley (Formerly Furnace Creek Inn) is a great place. While at Death Valley be sure to check out Zabriskie point and Dante's View. If you have a spare driver who doesn't want to hike, get dropped off at Zabriskie point and walk down to Badwater Road at the bottom of Golden Canyon. If you have a spare driver and a bike, drive the bike (on a car) to Dante's View and ride the bike to Furnace Creek. It's downhill all the way with a descent of about 6000 feet. Take a lot of water everywhere in Death Valley
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
It's hard to do vegas in just a few days and get the whole experience. I've been a handful of times and still haven't even done hoover dam yet.

I know you're looking for natural scenic stuff but you need to also experience fremont street at night. Fremont is more enjoyable than the strip at night. Strip is enjoyable during the day.


Just to echo this, if you can hit downtown on a Friday/Saturday night it's a fun place to be, I spent two years down there running a couple of places, I always disappeared for a couple of hours on a Friday night just for fun.
 
Airstud
Posts: 4890
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: LAS trip.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Red Rock, Mt Charleston.

Also, at night, take the 215 south to 95 north, get off at Charleston, head east (turn right) take Charleston down to Nellis, right on Nellis, a couple of blocks take a left on Vegas Valley, take that all the way up, you will go past Hollywood, past the school on the right hand side, through the gate (it will be open) and you will end up in the best place to view the valley at night.


Which, is what I said basically.


Okay...Where ?



You heard me.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
tomaheath
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: LAS trip.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. A family member told me that Death Valley wasn’t that great I’m glade to here otherwise. I was hoping to get to Fremont Street. Any suggestions on parking for the strip? I was thinking the MGM garage on Tropicana ave looks like an easy in and out.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: LAS trip.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm

tomaheath wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. A family member told me that Death Valley wasn’t that great I’m glade to here otherwise. I was hoping to get to Fremont Street. Any suggestions on parking for the strip? I was thinking the MGM garage on Tropicana ave looks like an easy in and out.


I've never actually driven in Vegas. The public transportation that is available always steered me away, and for getting a car to go to death valley - pretty sure you can just go to the transport concierge desk and they will arrange it for you. But could be wrong - again I've never rented a car in Vegas - the only place I've never had a rental on travel.
 
tomaheath
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 am

Is there any decent viewing at Mojave or Victorville from public areas?
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: LAS trip.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:00 am

Mojave has some decent views from outside the perimeter fence, Victorville has none that I've found.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PHLapproach and 12 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos