Waterbomber
Topic Author

Ryanair: end of free carry-on. The last straw?

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm outraged that Ryanair is making me gate check my carry-on.
Starting November 1st, only passengers with a paid priority ticket will be able to take their bags on board.

This will p*ss off many passengers, without doubt.

SonomaFlyer

Re: Ryanair: end of free carry-on. The last straw?

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 pm

As long as folks think its a great deal, they will put up with the Spirit/RyanAir model. Folks will be pissed off but I doubt RyanAir would force women to check purses etc so are they limiting the size further to something that fits under your seat or?

Samrnpage

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:49 pm

The prices are such that if you get annoyed and leave, someone else will fill the seat you vacated.

pompos

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Press Release: https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new- ... ng-delays/

What surprises me is that they aren't increasing the price for priority boarding. While I happily not carry anything around for boarding, I even hate waiting for my bag to arrive at arrival even more. So for me the 6Eur for priority boarding are much more valuable than the 8Eur for the extra bag. But it's probably just a question of time until Ryanair increases priority boarding prices :(

Breathe

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Say what you want about Ryanair, but they sure know how to make money in the aviation industry!

leghorn

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:10 pm

According to the Q&A when the last financial results were released they intend to reduce ticket prices. the net cost of carrying the same amount of baggage won't go up by 6 or 8 euro . when I'm travelling alone for weekends I think it will be actually cheaper to fly Ryanair than it was before as a result of this as I have a small bag that I can put under the seat in front of me.
The headline prices on the website will be lower but the majority of people will end up paying a small bit more, maybe 2 or 3 euro when it all washes through. If you can travel light this is good news; that excludes 50% of the population straight away.

StTim

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:14 pm

So they would force me to put my laptop in the hold if I didn’t book a priority seat. I think not.

Waterbomber
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 pm

This is just not going to work, the same way their current system doesn't work.
8 EUR one-way is 16 EUR return.

Can you still call it priority boarding when more than half the plane is queued up in there?
They might as well let the non-priority board first as they will be heading straight for their seat.

I was on a FR flight today, and so was I 2 days ago. And next Saturday. And the Wednesday after that.
With about 30 flights per year with them, one could say that I'm a frequent traveler.

I was already quite pissed that they took out most flight options to my frequent destination for the winter.
I had to play cat and mouse against their revenue management to not overpay for my recent trips, with great success but waste of time. 300 EUR one way for a 2 hour sector? Are you mad boy?
But I was p*ssed every time I had to leave my luggage at the gate, take out my laptop and my power banks and my documents and my passport and my keys, etc....
Ow well, most of the time I pulled the tag off, and got through. Recently I got caught though and got a new one applied at the aircraft even though my small trolley perfectly fits under the seat in front of me. I even had quite an argument with a F/A with ensuing threat of deplaning me.

I think that a lot of people will think twice now before booking Ryanair.
Checked luggage is a convenience, but the carry-on isn't. It's a basic necessity.It's like paying to use the toilet.
The perception of value changes completely.

JBLUA320

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Waterbomber wrote:

Can you still call it priority boarding when more than half the plane is queued up in there?
They might as well let the non-priority board first as they will be heading straight for their seat.

I was on a FR flight today, and so was I 2 days ago. And next Saturday. And the Wednesday after that.
With about 30 flights per year with them, one could say that I'm a frequent traveler.

I was already quite pissed that they took out most flight options to my frequent destination for the winter.
I had to play cat and mouse against their revenue management to not overpay for my recent trips, with great success but waste of time. 300 EUR one way for a 2 hour sector? Are you mad boy?
But I was p*ssed every time I had to leave my luggage at the gate, take out my laptop and my power banks and my documents and my passport and my keys, etc....
Ow well, most of the time I pulled the tag off, and got through. Recently I got caught though and got a new one applied at the aircraft even though my small trolley perfectly fits under the seat in front of me. I even had quite an argument with a F/A with ensuing threat of deplaning me.

Checked luggage is a convenience, but the carry-on isn't. It's a basic necessity.It's like paying to use the toilet.

It seems to work well enough for millions of others. To me, it sounds more like you're unwilling to abide by a published set of rules and are keen to game the system to fit your needs. Clearly, it doesn't work for you, but your 'perception of value' is flawed to begin with. Ryanair charging 300 EUR for a 2 hour segment doesn't matter just because it's Ryanair. They play the RM game like every other airline and sector length has never and will never be equated to price paid.

You sound spoiled and entitled; unwilling to play by the rules because you got away with not doing so in the past. Ryanair won't be sad to lose your business - plenty of others will take the vacant seat.

Waterbomber
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 pm

JBLUA320 wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

It seems to work well enough for millions of others. To me, it sounds more like you're unwilling to abide by a published set of rules and are keen to game the system to fit your needs. Clearly, it doesn't work for you, but your 'perception of value' is flawed to begin with. Ryanair charging 300 EUR for a 2 hour segment doesn't matter just because it's Ryanair. They play the RM game like every other airline and sector length has never and will never be equated to price paid.

You sound spoiled and entitled; unwilling to play by the rules because you got away with not doing so in the past. Ryanair won't be sad to lose your business - plenty of others will take the vacant seat.

Thank you sir. I am spoiled and entitled.
Ryanair won't lose my business, since they are one of the few to fly the route that I use them on. But this year I have used other options such as Eurowings, TUI and SN.

They will lose a lot of business because it completely changes the value proposition. And that matters when you are competing head to head against a Wizzair that is creeping Westwards, but also the likes of Eurowings, Vueling, Norwegian and Transavia that are becoming more competitive and more present.
It also opens the door for new start-ups that could wipe off many of their most profitable routes.

The airline industry is very unforgiving and every misstep could trigger an avalanche.

With the ongoing formation of unions and probable strikes, reduced value in their offering, an ageing fleet and airports more and more eager to increase charges, Ryanair is moving away from it low fares model.
They are wielding a double-edged sword, trying to increase revenues while reducing service levels.
Ryanair runs high margins relative to its revenues but its revenues are very low compared to the size of the operations. A decrease in revenue quickly wipes off any profits.
In other words, 40 less pax per flight and Ryanair can kiss their business model goodbye.

The best days are behind them.

Can't wait to see new challengers on the market.

VirginFlyer

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:44 pm

What the thread starter said:
Waterbomber wrote:
Starting November 1st, only passengers with a paid priority ticket will be able to take their bags on board.

What Ryanair actually said (emphasis theirs)
– Priority Boarding customers (currently 30%) can continue to bring 2 free carry-on bags (1 x 10kg wheelie bag and 1 small bag).

– Non-priority customers can only bring 1 free (small) carry-on bag from 1 Nov.

So no, after November 1st it won’t only be priority customers who can take a bag on; anyone can take a bag on. It will only be priority customers who can take two bags on including a large roll-aboard. I guess if it upsets you that much you’re welcome to change to another airline. Ryanair seem to think it is a wise move. No doubt they will quickly change if it causes delays for them or sends too many customers elsewhere. Personally I don’t think it is much of an issue; if more people would check in bags rather than trying to take ridiculous amounts on board with them, it would make life better for everyone.

StTim wrote:
So they would force me to put my laptop in the hold if I didn’t book a priority seat. I think not.

If you pack it in a small bag it should be fine:
5. What are the small bag dimensions?

We have increased the size of the free small carry-on bag by over 40% from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 40 x 20 x 25cm (20,000 cm³).

We have almost doubled the size of our small bag sizer from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 42 x 20 x 30 cm (25,200 cm³) to allow carry-on bags that are considerably (25%) larger than our permitted small bag dimensions. (See diagram)

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

holcakker

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 pm

JBLUA320 wrote:

You are the role model of the obedient FR passenger who likes learning their ever changing rules before travelling and who is willing to pay 5 EUR to get air on board if they let you travel with them from Memmingen to Oujda with a 1,99 EUR ticket.

Waterbomber
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
What the thread starter said:
Waterbomber wrote:

What Ryanair actually said (emphasis theirs)
– Priority Boarding customers (currently 30%) can continue to bring 2 free carry-on bags (1 x 10kg wheelie bag and 1 small bag).

– Non-priority customers can only bring 1 free (small) carry-on bag from 1 Nov.

So no, after November 1st it won’t only be priority customers who can take a bag on; anyone can take a bag on. It will only be priority customers who can take two bags on including a large roll-aboard. I guess if it upsets you that much you’re welcome to change to another airline. Ryanair seem to think it is a wise move. No doubt they will quickly change if it causes delays for them or sends too many customers elsewhere. Personally I don’t think it is much of an issue; if more people would check in bags rather than trying to take ridiculous amounts on board with them, it would make life better for everyone.

StTim wrote:

If you pack it in a small bag it should be fine:
5. What are the small bag dimensions?

We have increased the size of the free small carry-on bag by over 40% from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 40 x 20 x 25cm (20,000 cm³).

We have almost doubled the size of our small bag sizer from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 42 x 20 x 30 cm (25,200 cm³) to allow carry-on bags that are considerably (25%) larger than our permitted small bag dimensions. (See diagram)

V/F

I can live with that since I only carry my convertible laptop and some papers. I have clothes and laundry machines at both ends.

But most people use the 10kg bag to carry a week worth of clothing. In addition, most carry a purse or small backpack.

So even if Ryanair allows a bigger small bag, you can't fit a week worth of clothes in your purse or backpack.

Smoother boarding? That's what they thought when they added assigned seating, gate checks, etc...
The reality is that I see my FR flights missing their ATFM slots very frequently now and cabin crew sounding the fanfare based on landing time instead of door opening time, despite the huge slack built in their scheduling.

jde91

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:29 am

JBLUA320 wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

Completely agree... this has been s long time coming, there just isn’t enough space on board for 200 cases, £16 (or £12) Is nothing, I imagine Ryanair will still be the cheapest option. At least this way the turn around times will be faster. I only had one though... can passengers bring two 10kg suitcases and put them in the hold? This works out at £32 for a return journey vs £50 for one 20kg case!

SCQ83

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 am

If I read correctly, any cabin baggage (unless it is the very small size almost nobody uses) will have to pay. Only backpacks or handbags will go for free.

I like the idea. Most of the times I fly Ryanair is for short weekends (1-2-3 nights) so a backpack is fine for me. Otherwise paying 6 euros is not the end of the world... that is the price of a sandwich in many airports.

cougar15

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 am

StTim wrote:

No, us Metrosexuals are at least allowed to bring one handbag (boy or girl) , otherwise it would be discrimination as per EU laws...…..
some you lose, others you can´t win!

leghorn

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:18 am

This is my new Ryanair Bag which I used for the first time on my last trip.
https://www.amazon.de/Regatta-Rucksack- ... B0052QBTPM
25 litres and it is squidgy and will fit in the sizer.
The staff tagging bags for the hold had no interest in my bag while we were waiting to board.
It is suitable for long weekends(for your average man) and no more than that.
It rolls in to a tiny ball which zips up when not in use.

As this was going to be my Ryanair bag going forward I am not affected by the changes which have been imposed. I avoid checked baggage at all costs as Dublin and Stansted airport are famous for long waits for baggage after your plane has landed.
Last edited by leghorn on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:21 am

People seem to be thinking this is a no bag thing and getting into a tizz. All it is is no overhead luggage. Underseat is still part of the base fare so your backpack is safe.

As for the policy I can't say I'm shocked and it will another thing to consider when pricing out flights. But as my last Ryanair flights for a long while are this weekend it really isn't going to affect me. Not unless they open up an NZ branch in the near future.

Delta777Jet

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:27 am

To be honest , I think its the right move. All airlines, traditional and low cost make money with baggage nowadays. The Ryanair baggage policy was very very fair, no more weighting at the gate and almost no size control and you could take two bags for free. Which airline, even from the classic ones offered this ? I was recently on a Lufthansa flight and they leave often delayed because cabin is full with baggage. So the Ryanair system to load them into the hold was a good move. Now they just finetune it. Of course paying 50 € for a hold bag is way too much, but 6 or 8 GBP is a price tag which is not too high and I see probably everyone taking it. Next thing they will do then is to make priority boarding more expensive, so there is lets say 6 GBP second hand bag fee or 15 GBP priority boarding with 2nd hand bag for free.
For example Transavia has a strict one hand bag policy, any additional must be checked in, no option of 2nd hand baggage.
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-787-8/-9/DC-10-10/30/L1011-1/500/MD81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL18/ATR42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

FlyRow

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am

Doesn't Wizzair do the same? Nothing new in EU-LCC-Land.

And seeing how some people try to stretch a carry on to the maximum (even not able to lift it in the overhead anymore) I understand ryanair. Probably also speeds up the boarding progress.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

evomutant

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:53 am

It is what is.

The mistake people make is always assuming Ryanair are cheapest. They often are, but I often find BA cheaper on HBO fares when I factor in onward transit at both ends. This charge will probably make that more likely, though still less than half the time.

The wise person shops around.

pdp

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:06 am

evomutant wrote:
It is what is.

The mistake people make is always assuming Ryanair are cheapest. They often are, but I often find BA cheaper on HBO fares when I factor in onward transit at both ends. This charge will probably make that more likely, though still less than half the time.

The wise person shops around.

The problem with BA is that they don't serve the Midlands or East Anglia. They also don't serve any of the smaller regional airports that the LCCs do.

I've no problem with this myself, it stops people trying to cram a duffel bag into the bin and blocking everybody else. My preferred carrier is W6/W9 and I just get the (very cheap) priority boarding.

Plus BA economy short haul is just Ryanair with a different logo on the plane.

Spiderguy252

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 am

The nickeling and diming in the aviation industry has to get worse before it gets better.

Let RyanAir lead it to the edge of the cliff if they want to - at one point, the flying public will realize the ins and outs of this game and vouch for a quality flying experience vs dozens of rules, regulations and fees to go with it - let's hope.
Vahroone

ZaphodHarkonnen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:40 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
The nickeling and diming in the aviation industry has to get worse before it gets better.

Let RyanAir lead it to the edge of the cliff if they want to - at one point, the flying public will realize the ins and outs of this game and vouch for a quality flying experience vs dozens of rules, regulations and fees to go with it - let's hope.

I wouldn't hold my breath. lol

What's more likely to happen is what has happened. People realize that the advertised fare is just one component of the total cost. Travel to and from the airports and other ancillery fees often add up to more than the initial airfare.

metalinyoni

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:42 am

This suits me, to be honest. I fly Ryanair to Dublin many times a year and very seldom need more than a small bag that fits under the seat. I learnt long ago that it was cheaper to buy a few clothing items that I could leave in a spare cupboard at the in-laws rather than pay for luggage on an airline. Even with these charges I still think Ryanair will be cheaper than EI/BA from Heathrow. Despite LHR being the quickest airport for me to get to Ryanair has always been sufficiently cheaper to warrant travelling to other airports.
300, 310, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 342, 343, 345, 346, 380, 707, 727, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 742, 74L, 743, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L 773, 77W, D10, AT46, AT76, AT75, 142, DH3, ER4, AR1, AR8

OO-VEG

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:50 am

This is an easily anticipated measure which will be followed by more airlines. You could question if it's fair that people have to pay for such luggage, but in general this will improve the flight experience greatly. Less trolleys = faster security check / faster boarding / more space in the bin above your seat. I think the cost of having <10kg bags in the hold instead of in the bin will be cheaper.

flyingphil

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 am

Having flown Ryanair many times I think the system of putting bags in the hold for free worked fine..

Their flights are almost always full.. so there will never be enough room in the overhead lockers for all the cases and bags that people try and drag into the cabin.

chonetsao

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 am

There are ways to fly Ryanair for free (literally). You can book hotel rooms or even dorm rooms with Ryanair APP or website and earn commission as travel credit on Ryanair. So very quickly when Ryanair has £8.99/9.99 or occasionally £1.99 sales, you can fly for free with one night stay at a very cheap hotel. Unlike BA/IAG's high taxes (minimum £17.50 and up to £400) miles redemption ticket, for someone travel within Europe, Ryanair is still the cheapest option. Of course you get nicked and dimmed by Ryanair, that is the way of their business. The great things for consumer is to have a choice. Smart consumer adjust their travel plan to get the best deal and the way suits them best. Other moans and whines and bluntly pay the other airline charges them an arm and a leg. Like American Airlines always says: 'We know you have a choice in air travel...'. I am just grateful that we do have several choices in Europe. And they compete with each other. If anyone who had a look how much it would cost them to buy a London - Glasgow/Edinburg train ticket 2-5 days in advance and then compare how much Ryanair is charging, you would get to appreciate the choices are good for consumers.

offloaded

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:59 am

FAO EMA FAO for me last week.

As I had checked baggage anyway, I was entirely happy to get rid of 2 out of our 4 family carry ons at check in for free. At EMA we had less than a 15 min wait for the bags, and at FAO, the bags were out before we'd cleared passport control. Not bad for August I say.

That said, when I travel FR, I'll pay for fast track security, priority boarding, and decent seat, which I'm convinced had more legroom than my last BA flight. Why do I pay for it? Because I want the additional facilities, and to get those on FR, and actually most other carriers, I have to pay. FR do not force me to buy their extras, and if you think it's your God given right to take a free carry on on board on an airline that may in future charge you for that same carry on, you are mistaken. Not happy? Fly someone else. It's actually quite simple.

One think that puzzles me is how FR pays for baggage handling. Is it per aircraft regardless of number of bags or per bag? If it's per bag, isn't putting hand baggage in the hold counter productive?
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

ro1960

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 am

I don't think FR will lose business over this new charge. Except maybe the OP :D And there are people who don't have other choices than FR when flying.

What will be interesting to see is what the other European LCCs will do. Particularly U2 that already has a strict one carry-on only policy.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

Vasu

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 am

I know everyone’s different... but I just paid £30 for a return flight to Germany so I’ll go along with whatever their latest rules are.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:42 am

Using an overhead bin is not a basic necessity, like a bathroom.

30 years ago people walked onto planes with a hat, a sweatshirt and a book.

With the invention of

1. Cheap rollarboards in the 90s

2. Larger overhead bins in the 2000s

3. Bag fees in the 2010s

4. Smaller, fuller planes in the post 9/11 era

Overhead bags became a cultural thing.

Frankly, they are a pain to the operation and slow down boarding.

I have no doubt that during the next downturn, airlines will find a way to monetize it industry wide

leghorn

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:49 am

[list=][/list]
Vasu wrote:
I know everyone’s different... but I just paid £30 for a return flight to Germany so I’ll go along with whatever their latest rules are.

It isn't the one return flight. It is the repeat business. I get those type fares and as a result travel more regularly to see friends and family
All hail Ryanair.

MIflyer12

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:56 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:

Personal item only - max 22x25x43cm - has been a limitation of United's Basic Economy fares. AA's limit has been 20x35x45cm domestically although it goes back to allowing a regular-sized carry-on item 5 Sept.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... onomy.aspx

There are plenty of European travelers seeking the absolute lowest fares. This won't faze them a bit. There will be people wearing three layers of clothes to avoid the charge, or not changing their clothes for a week.

Noshow

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:58 am

Many Airports are too chaotic these days. So I don't check my bag anymore. I carry it on board. I'm happy to stay within IATA size and to pay a little extra. But 10 kg max weight and some very restrictive sizing goes over the top. So they will lose some business travellers again.
For their MAX 200 they should have BIG SIZED bins for everybody.
With neo and MAX you can already see where this squeezing in more and more seats leads to. Not enough lav space and not enough room and edgy fellow travellers.

vfw614

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:05 am

If airlines cram in the max number of seats - like the LCCs and many legacies nowadays do - there simply is not enough space for everybody's 55x40x23 suitcase in the cabin. Unless you want to resort to survival of the fittest principles incl. fistfights in the cabin, all you can guarantee as an airline is a smallish carry-on of a size that allows 189 pieces of it to go in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you. For anything larger, there needs to be some sort of selection.

Noshow

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

Okay so make the people sit on some carry on locker or upsize the bins but when you travel you have stuff. Maybe we need new bag drop at gate systems. But just nothing to carry on doesn't cut it for me. Again I'm ready to respect IATA size.

SCQ83

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:18 am

metalinyoni wrote:
This suits me, to be honest. I fly Ryanair to Dublin many times a year and very seldom need more than a small bag that fits under the seat. I learnt long ago that it was cheaper to buy a few clothing items that I could leave in a spare cupboard at the in-laws rather than pay for luggage on an airline..

Primark and Ryanair. The two biggest contributions of Ireland to the modern era :)

BrianDromey

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am

OO-VEG wrote:
This is an easily anticipated measure which will be followed by more airlines. You could question if it's fair that people have to pay for such luggage, but in general this will improve the flight experience greatly. Less trolleys = faster security check / faster boarding / more space in the bin above your seat. I think the cost of having <10kg bags in the hold instead of in the bin will be cheaper.

I think the new 10kg check-in bag is a good product. It would have been nice if they had introduced it first, before charging non-priority customers for 10KG carry-on. I think a lot of people would prefer to check-in their carry-on, as the current system of gate-checking it has a lot of disadvantages - emptying the bag of liquids, electronics, etc at security, secondary searches, etc AND having to wait for the bag to come off the carousel at the destination. The split between Priority Boarding and 10KG Check-In will be interesting.

I would guess that not only will boarding be quicker, but that security queues could be quicker too with fewer carry-on bags.

rouelan

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Waterbomber wrote:

I havent travelled with FR for a long time. But if I understand correctly their rules, you already had to pay (the priority pass) if you wanted to keep your carry-on with you. Otherwise, it was tagged at gate and put in the hold (for free).

Am I right ?

iRISH251

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:40 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
metalinyoni wrote:
This suits me, to be honest. I fly Ryanair to Dublin many times a year and very seldom need more than a small bag that fits under the seat. I learnt long ago that it was cheaper to buy a few clothing items that I could leave in a spare cupboard at the in-laws rather than pay for luggage on an airline..

Primark and Ryanair. The two biggest contributions of Ireland to the modern era :)

You don't have to love Ryanair, their various business practices and their (sometimes) high-profile CEO. I suspect that not that many people really do. However it has undoubtedly transformed travel right across Europe in ways that no one could have imagined. There were always some people who could fly at the pre-LCC fares but what FR and similar carriers have done is make regular air travel very affordable for almost everyone. For a company from a small country on the western periphery of Europe, I think that is a major achievement.

It's pretty plain that the company will continue to experiment with and revise the various charges for baggage and other "extras" so as to maximise revenue. They can surely measure very quickly what happens when they change the rules and if they saw that a change was having a negative impact on bookings they would most likely review their approach. However only the most price-sensitive travellers are really going to walk away and I would say that Ryanair already have a good sense of how customers generally will respond.

ckfred

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Waterbomber wrote:

I read on the Q&A section that for a 189-seat aircraft, Priority is limited to 95 passengers. Now, that seems like a lot. But, I've been on AA flights between ORD and DFW, where there are only a few people, say less than 15) left in the gate for an MD-80 (call it around 140 seats), after AAdvantage Ex. Plat., Plat. and Gold have been called. In other words, for 140 seats, 125 passengers were AAdvantage elite and were boarded ahead of the non-elites.

My guess is that Ryan Air has determined that 95 Priority is the maximum number of people that can board together and not throw off the boarding process, and that far fewer people than 95 will buy a Priority add-on.

Kadish

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 pm

A Long time ago I decided not to fly with them anong other things for not being treated like catle...and with this new policy they r proving me right.
They r modern pirates

marcogr12

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 pm

I think a lot of people forget that not only weekend backpackers fly with FR but families with kids as well, senior citizens etc and they certainly cannot pack extremely lightly..Charging them for a 10kg wheelie is certainly nickel-and-diming tactic as its the lightest you can pack/cram into a small luggage..Basically they are blackmailing people to pay either way (Priority or baggage fee)..And after the recent round 2 of cancellation-storm,still going on, and the policy of not seating people together, who have booked together in one booking, unless they pay, this is not gonna go down well with pax..Easyjet for e.g. so far,gives you a no-weight-limit hand luggage, BA too, Transavia has the 10kg free,Wizzair used to charge for the 10kg but now it doesnt, you just need to do what Ryanair does,check it in free of charge..Anyway we'll how it pans out for FR and if it will turn pax away or if we will just have to grunt-and-bear it..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:26 pm

rouelan wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

I havent travelled with FR for a long time. But if I understand correctly their rules, you already had to pay (the priority pass) if you wanted to keep your carry-on with you. Otherwise, it was tagged at gate and put in the hold (for free).

Am I right ?

That is the current policy yes. I flew yesterday with them and they made that clear. The OP is about a new policy from November where you won’t even have that.

XAM2175

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
gives you a no-weight-limit hand luggage, BA too, ...

BA do have defined weight limits for hand luggage - at the moment for passengers other than infants on flights other than those to or from Brazil it's 23 kg each for a laptop bag/handbag and one extra, in addition to dimensional size restrictions.

CrimsonNL

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Every time MOL or FR announce something controversion, the Anet Anti-FR squad starts screaming that THIS time it will surely mean the end of them. It never does, and it won't this time either!
I don't understand why people here get so worked up about them. Just don't fly them if you don't like to. Clearly there are tens of millions of people who disagree with you and will keep flying them as long as they are the cheapest.
Always comparing your flown types list with mine