Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

Places to visit+eat/things to do in Seoul, South Korea

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:41 am

Can anyone please advise what to do in Seoul, South Korea in 5 days and 4 nights? Also places to visit and where to have good food? Korean BBQ?

I haven't been to South Korea for a few years.

Thanks!

hoons90

Re: Places to visit+eat/things to do in Seoul, South Korea

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:26 pm

My favourite part of Seoul is the Hongdae area. Lots of cool cafés, restaurants and hangouts, and the nightlife is vibrant as well.

Then there's also Myeongdong, Insadong, Gangnam and Itaewon which are the major tourist spots.

The Lotte World Tower observation deck is really cool, one of the highest observation decks in the world. There's also the N Seoul Tower, Cheonggyecheon stream and Banpo Bridge fountain that you can check out.

Wikitravel.org is a good resource to check out for more information.

zakuivcustom

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:41 pm

For food - if you like seafood, you should head to Noryangjin Market. Namdaemun Market also has its shares of food stalls. You should also try Gejang (Spicy Raw Crab) if you can stand that.

I do second Hongdae area, though, IMO it's less touristy than Myeongdong (Which I personally think is a giant tourist traps, and unless you're really into shopping, it gets boring quick), still have the young vibe, and you can find some pretty good restaurants around (I'm not those person that research where and what to eat for every meal, though, so can't help you much with restaurant recommendations).

Other tourist spots that hoons didn't listed yet is Bukchon Hanok Village and if you want to go there, palaces like Changdeokgung. Nice place to look at traditional Korea, although it highly depends on the type of tourist you are.

P.S. It had been awhile since I've been to Seoul, so there are probably tons of stuff I'm missing.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:49 am

Any good Korean BBQ restaurants? Also Korean restaurants?

Thanks everyone!

zakuivcustom

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:08 pm

United Airline wrote:
Any good Korean BBQ restaurants? Also Korean restaurants?

Thanks everyone!

Not sure what you mean by Korean restaurant. If you're looking for US-style Korean restaurants, those are actually fairly hard to find AFAIK, since most restaurants specialized in 1 or 2 things (and usually do very good at it).

As for Korean BBQ, you can try chains like Wangbijib, Palshik, and Mapo Sutbul Galbi. Majang-dong (it's a meat market) also has a street full of Galbi restaurants. I've seen some recommendations for Piggy Bank in Hongdae also. Quite frankly, just google search and many will come up, and most of them should be at least above average. (Makes me craved Galbis and Samgyeopsal now...damn it).

Of course, if you're adventurous, just walk around neighborhoods like Hongdae or Myeongdong,there is a Korean BBQ restaurant every other building there anyway. Plus most of the time you actually find better food than following guides. Not BBQ, but the best Samgyetang I have in Seoul is some low-key establishment while walking around some neighborhood in Central Seoul, better than one I find in Myeongdong or Tosokchon (It's pretty a pretty famous Samgyetang restaurant near Gyeongbokgung).

neutrino

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Can I safely assume that as an a.netter, planes do pique your interest.....to whatever degree?
So, I'll suggest a visit to The War Memorial of Korea in Yongsan-dong.
Worth at least half a day just to leisurely take in the more than two dozen mostly western aircraft; including a mighty Stratofortress, and also former USSR types from Antonov, Yakovlev and MiG.
For food, a favourite of mine is samgyetang which is ginseng chicken soup, very popular with the natives. Its been a long 13 years since I last set foot in Seoul but I still whip up the dish at home every now and then. In fact, the last time was only a week ago.