blooc350
Topic Author

How SQ handles delays.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Why cant more airlines handle delays like SQ?

When it comes to flight delays, airlines in the U.S. tend to respond with the minimum of care, because their organizational structures are based on tight margins and giving (for free) only when it's absolutely unavoidable.

Article link: https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/the-way-this-famous-airline-handled-a-flight-delay-is-a-lesson-for-united-american-every-us-airline.html

1. Singapore Airlines Manager Haziq Sulaiman would go to the mic every so often, to deliver clear updates about our flight and the situation in Manila. He would apologize at the start of every announcement, as if the NAIA runway overshoot was his fault.
2. Right after the first announcement of delay was made, SQ rolled out unlimited sandwiches, muffins and drinks.
3. A little later, we were all instructed to line up for a one-by-one instruction about our accommodation for the night.
4. We were all given five-star hotel rooms, buffet dinner and limo cab service to and from the hotel.
5. Three SQ Managers were at the hotel lobby, early in the morning, to facilitate our swift checkout and made sure we get cabs to the airport.
6. When we arrived back at the airport, they provided special lanes for the cancelled Manila flights, making sure we checked in the fastest.
7. Back at the boarding gate, again, unlimited sandwiches, muffins and drinks.
8. An announcement about another hour and a half delay was made. Right after the announcement, we were given a $15SG voucher each for breakfast at specifically appointed restaurants.
9. Before flying, all passengers were given a flight delay survey, to help the airline assess how they handled the situation.
10. Upon clearance to fly, a number number of SQ Managers lined up on our way to the plane to apologize for the last time and wish us all a pleasant flight

macsog6

Re: How SQ handles delays.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:55 pm

My experience with both SQ and other carriers at SIN, when I lived there, was less optimal than outlined here. SQ did do well after a fairly long delay, both other carriers were the same as most other carriers at other locations.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

LHUSA

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 pm

This story almost feels 'planted' by SQ - maybe to outline new delay protocol? I've had several delays on SQ while living in SIN and never had any where near this level of service. They handled the delays well and better than the US3, but certainly not to the extent executed in the article/blog. Also, many times while flying AA, UA in the States, I have been provided snacks, refreshments and meal vouchers (not often but it does happen). So, let's not count them out altogether.

XAM2175

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm all for recognising good service and really recognising excellent service, but this does indeed have a whiff of fresh paint to it...

Indeed the last time I even took a delay of more than a couple of minutes on a QF flight (in a long long sting of flights over many years) they didn't hand out any free refreshments but that's because the delay was simply the resolution of a fault with the aircraft and was of indefinite length - in the end it was about 90 mins and there was no shortage of updates and apologies.

Time before that was nearly fifteen years ago and was about two hours delay on a domestic out of BNE - for which we were invited to present our boarding passes at any restaurant in the terminal for a credit of AUD10.

As an aside - the SGD15 offered here is converts to USD10.90 / GBP8.45 / EUR9.40 (roughly, anyway).

CRJ900

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Is Manilla a lucrative destination in SQ's network with good revenue (hence the importance of keeping customers happy?)?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

FermiParadox

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:07 pm

A Four Points is a 5 star hotel now? I mean they're not bad but they're not exactly the Ritz.

cskok8

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:51 am

It's a lot easier to handle any problem at their home base. The true test is when shit happens somewhere else, especially at an airport that they don't normally fly to

Coal

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am

FermiParadox wrote:
A Four Points is a 5 star hotel now? I mean they're not bad but they're not exactly the Ritz.

Indeed, it's four stars, but the one in Singapore is not bad and the location is excellent.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

E90SLAM

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Similar experience happened to me back in 2009 in SIN-HKG with A380. After everyone boarded the flight, the flight deck announced there was an issue with the engine fire bottle indicator/sensor etc. Where they do not think it will be resolved in short amount of time, and need to swap into another A380 which will take an hour or so to prepare. Thus the ground delay "protocol" kicked in.
There was announcement before they deplane everyone indicate the boarding pass is good for about 15-20 SGD (cannot remember the exact amount). But given the food court in SIN is not expensive, myself and companion's boarding pass ended up a feast on our table. (We still see a few passengers passionately complaining to the ground crew still). Although we did not see any food and sandwich being rolled out. But seems like SQ is prepared for any short or lengthy delays and execute different protocols.

neutrino

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:28 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
Is Manilla a lucrative destination in SQ's network with good revenue (hence the importance of keeping customers happy?)?

Not sure about that but my February '18 SQ economy SIN-MNL-SIN flights cost me only SGD168 or roughly USD123. That's lower than the LCCs' no frills fares at the time.
Couple of weeks ago, I checked for the same sectors for end January '19 and they were SGD248 or roughly USD181 (for full service), which is in the ballpark of the LCCs' basic fares + taxes only rates.
Based on these, looks like a bloodbath on this route.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Coal

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:09 am

neutrino wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

Not sure about that but my February '18 SQ economy SIN-MNL-SIN flights cost me only SGD168 or roughly USD123. That's lower than the LCCs' no frills fares at the time.
Couple of weeks ago, I checked for the same sectors for end January '19 and they were SGD248 or roughly USD181 (for full service), which is in the ballpark of the LCCs' basic fares + taxes only rates.
Based on these, looks like a bloodbath on this route.

Sounds like a sale fare with tons of restrictions, catering to those who would otherwise fly LCCs. But go check the prices for full fare flexible Y, or J, and it's a different story.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

neutrino

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:06 am

Coal wrote:
neutrino wrote:
Sounds like a sale fare with tons of restrictions, catering to those who would otherwise fly LCCs. But go check the prices for full fare flexible Y, or J, and it's a different story.

I know and, and did all that somewhat often. The sales fares do happen quite relatively often. Booked for a friend second half of last year to Frankfurt and back, for below USD1,000. They are forced to do these offers more and more frequently. But go check ALL the prices more often and see the other side of the story too. That's why I mentioned bloodbath. Admittedly not fullblown but still.........
Btw, I fully agree with your first sentence.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis