Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PDX88
Topic Author

Why does Delta have a Sky Club in SCL?

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 am

I was looking at the map of Sky Club locations around the world and noticed something strange. There are only 2 locations outside the United States, one in Narita and one in Santiago. Narita makes sense, but I don't understand why Santiago would warrant a Sky Club. Anyone have an idea why this lounge exists?

MIflyer12

Re: Why does Delta have a Sky Club in SCL?

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am

There are dozens of clubs available to Delta One passengers outside the U.S. - most of them are partner-carrier-operated. Delta doesn't have a partner nor joint SkyTeam lounge in SCL. Why it operates its own club vs. using a 3rd party (contract) lounge might be a good question - if such things exist in SCL.

Aisak

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 pm

It might come from the days of NW-KLM alliance. NW running some lounges at SouthAmerica while KLM operated some elsewhere... KLM flies to SCL, don't know if they did back then or even if NW did, so it's a wild guess.

PDX88 wrote:
I don't understand why Santiago would warrant a Sky Club. Anyone have an idea why this lounge exists?

Easy... to make money out of it

Lounges are just like retail shops at the airport. Quite expensive and exclusive use of a limited available space and they charge customers for their services. Note customers does not equal users.

Pretty much like BA runs about 20 lounges in the US.... the question would be Why not?

usflyer msp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Aisak wrote:
It might come from the days of NW-KLM alliance. NW running some lounges at SouthAmerica while KLM operated some elsewhere... KLM flies to SCL, don't know if they did back then or even if NW did, so it's a wild guess.

PDX88 wrote:
I don't understand why Santiago would warrant a Sky Club. Anyone have an idea why this lounge exists?

Lounges are just like retail shops at the airport. Quite expensive and exclusive use of a limited available space and they charge customers for their services. Note customers does not equal users.

Pretty much like BA runs about 20 lounges in the US.... the question would be Why not?

NW never operated lounges in South America, in fact NW never flew to South America.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I suspect the SCL Sky Club may not be long for the world with the announcement of a joint Skyteam lounge there.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

PDX88
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Aisak wrote:
PDX88 wrote:

Sure, Delta is good at that. My question was more about why Santiago, with only one Delta flight and a couple partner flights, would have one of the only two international Sky Club locations, and why aren't there more in much busier cities with a larger Delta presence?

EddieDude

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
There are dozens of clubs available to Delta One passengers outside the U.S. - most of them are partner-carrier-operated. Delta doesn't have a partner nor joint SkyTeam lounge in SCL. Why it operates its own club vs. using a 3rd party (contract) lounge might be a good question - if such things exist in SCL.

Just like YVR, PEK, DXB, HKG, SYD and LHR (non-SkyTeam hubs) have SkyTeam lounges (i.e., not operated by a member and available to eligible pax of all carriers), it might make sense for SkyTeam to open a lounge at SCL. AM, DL, AF, AR, KL, AZ would benefit.

Actually, I wonder if there is an AR lounge at SCL. EZE-SCL is such a huge route that AR would do well to have a lounge at SCL.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

mackdad

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I believe that club was opened at the same time the one opened in GRU. GRU was closed after the GOL lounge was opened. They use to have lounges in ICN and FRA all closed and moved over to a partner lounge. It seems SCL lounge days are numbered. It’s only open in the morning couple hours when the ATL flight gets in. It closes around noon and then opens again like two hours before the ATL flights leaves then closes. Not much interest in keeping a dedicated SKYCLUB if you can farm it out to a partner and keep operating costs low.

It’s a matter time before the NRT lounge also closes and it’s farmed to AF. They aready closed one of the two Clubs.

enilria

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 pm

PDX88 wrote:
Aisak wrote:
PDX88 wrote:

Sure, Delta is good at that. My question was more about why Santiago, with only one Delta flight and a couple partner flights, would have one of the only two international Sky Club locations, and why aren't there more in much busier cities with a larger Delta presence?

Where Delta offers Delta One they have a club. It’s basically part of the product. I would guess there was no partner option in SCL or if there is a KL/AF lounge it was very expensive and they wanted a lower cost option. You can be sure it’s one of those.