Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Boarding pass - good at other airports?

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 am

I have an odd question about boarding passes. I will be traveling to SFO from MIA on AA and returning on the same route in December. However I am interested in visiting SJC (San Jose) so I am curious if the boarding pass for my return portion of my SFO - MIA trip could be used to gain entrance to the air side of SJC if I presented the boarding pass on the same day? I am going to assume it would be a "no" but thought I would ask anyway...LOL.

Thanks for your responses.

aeromoe

Re: Boarding pass - good at other airports?

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 am

Umm...yeah...no. I wouldn't think so.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

LGAviation

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am

In the US with its TSA in-person checks certainly not, also from my experience here in Europe where it's basically just a device scanning your boarding pass whenever I accidentally scanned my onward boarding pass, I got a red light and thats how I figured out. In Australia, there are no checks whatsoever and anyone is allowed airside.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

FlightMode

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 am

LGAviation wrote:
In Australia, there are no checks whatsoever and anyone is allowed airside.

Not completely true. Using the example of PER, in the domestic terminals non-travellers can proceed air side within the terminal but will need to be security screened. They may not proceed beyond the boarding gate.

At the international terminal only passengers can proceed through security. Passengers must present a valid passport and a boarding pass if being manually cleared by Border Protection, or input their flight number and scan their passport and have their photo taken if using the e-Gate system.

LGAviation

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 am

FlightMode wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
In Australia, there are no checks whatsoever and anyone is allowed airside.

Not completely true. Using the example of PER, in the domestic terminals non-travellers can proceed air side within the terminal but will need to be security screened. They may not proceed beyond the boarding gate.

At the international terminal only passengers can proceed through security. Passengers must present a valid passport and a boarding pass if being manually cleared by Border Protection, or input their flight number and scan their passport and have their photo taken if using the e-Gate system.

Thanks, yes you're right with no checks I was clearly referring to the boarding pass part and obviously that only applies to domestic terminals.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 pm

In short no.

I had a connection flight a few weeks back and when I got to the TSA Agent in the Pre-Check line at IAH I handed her my connecting boarding pass by mistake. She immediately told me "sir you are at the wrong airport" to which I quickly felt like a total idiot and handed her the correct boarding pass. She joked and said something like, you tried to trick me didn't you. Boarding passes for the airport you are departing from or you're out of luck.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

PatrickZ80

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:52 pm

As others have said, it doesn't work. Sometimes when an airport has multiple terminals your boarding pass only works for the terminal at which your flight departs, it's not valid for other terminals. You'll simply be denied access.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
As others have said, it doesn't work. Sometimes when an airport has multiple terminals your boarding pass only works for the terminal at which your flight departs, it's not valid for other terminals. You'll simply be denied access.

A couple of years ago at DFW I was on AA flying out of Terminal A but entered the airside area through Terminal E as it was easier for me. Of course I had my boarding pass on my phone and just a check in bag.

JPhoto

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Last year I was at LAX after a vacation with my girlfriend, she flew back home with AS and I flew with KL on a business trip to AMS. We decided to grab a bite to eat and a drink at T6 since her flight left an hour earlier, I would then go through the connecting tunnels to TBIT for my flight. TSA at T6 didn't let me in with the boarding pass on my phone, the officer told me to get a paper boarding pass, so I had to walk to TBIT, get the boarding pass at the agent (somehow the machine there didn't work for me) and walk back to T6 and got through security. It was a nice walk under the CA sun!
PDX-AMS

nws2002

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:02 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

A couple of years ago at DFW I was on AA flying out of Terminal A but entered the airside area through Terminal E as it was easier for me. Of course I had my boarding pass on my phone and just a check in bag.

DFW is all connected airside anyways so they don't care. Where it matters and where they will usually direct you to the correct TSA checkpoint is when the airside areas are not connected.