Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

penelope
Topic Author

Pregnancy travel suggestions?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 am

How safe is it to travel via flights while being pregnant? Please help... I need to travel in the next 3 months.

ChrisKen

Re: Pregnancy travel suggestions?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 am

desertjets

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:21 pm

I would say this question really needs to be addressed to your OB/midwife and not an internet forum.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

trpmb6

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:34 pm

penelope wrote:
How safe is it to travel via flights while being pregnant? Please help... I need to travel in the next 3 months.

It is highly dependent on each person and each pregnancy. This is a question you need to ask your OBGYN. There are varying risk levels in every aspect. Some OBs will let you continue playing physical sports up to 5 months. Others will tell you to stop immediately. Your OB is best suited to make the call based on your specific situation.

I'm assuming you just recently discovered you are pregnant and that you're only maybe a month along. Maybe two. Also assuming your flight(s) were already booked which helps place the timeline of your pregnancy being fairly early on. In general, flying early on in a pregnancy is inconsequential, particularly in low risk pregnancies. You should also consider the potential issues if traveling in your third trimester and going international. You may have health coverage issues, risk of infectious diseases etc. My wife and I flew to Cancun during one of the peaks for ZIKA virus. You may recall there were some links between ZIKA and Microcephalus in newborns. Her OB advised her on the matter and we took it under consideration and contacted our resort to understand how they were handling the situation. Apparently they had been quite proactive in managing the local mosquito population because we didn't see a single one while there. I believe she was in her first trimester.

Bottom line, speak to your OB, they are best positioned to answer your question, and are probably asked about flying on a regular basis.

Also,
twindocstravel wrote:
may be able to chime in. He is an OB if I recall correctly.

ExpatVet

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Second the call to talk to your doctor. Certainly some rules of thumb apply (any Grandma will have lots of advice, some of it useful, some of it silly).

Avoid lifting heavy bags and loads in the first trimester

Stay hydrated

Avoid excessively tight clothing, especially shoes.

If you're suffering from morning sickness, strong smells such as food may affect you adversely. You may want to consider a seat near the toilets, but smells there can cause problems too.

For what it's worth, my wife flew pregnant with no problems, but they were low risk pregnancies.

Also, many airlines don't like to accept 8months pregnant women for travel. Giving birth on a plane is overrated. It may look great on TV, but I bet it's hell on the scheduling.
L101, 733/4/5/8/9, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Pediatrician here. Generally after 24-25 weeks, the OB/GYNs do not recommend traveling in such a manner that it would be impossible to receive prompt medical attention if you should go into labor. The younger the infant is when born (by gestational age) the worse the risk. A premature infant's lungs are not mature, so it's especially dangerous for the infant to be born at altitude with low oxygen tension where there are unlikely to be any trained pediatricians or the equipment needed to manage a premature infant. I certainly don't want to be managing an unexpected 25-weeker six miles above an ocean.

Also, if you hemorrhage after delivery and there are not advanced medical services available, you could die (or worse. There are things worse than death).

You should, of course, discuss this with your OB/GYN.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

twindocstravel

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Flying during pregnancy is by and large completely safe. As OB/GYN‘s we restrict flying for a patient after 36 weeks not because it is less safe but just because of the risk of going into labor either in flight or away from your doctor and hospital. There are certain high-risk situations like multiple gestations, preterm labor, and high blood pressure that may further restrict flying during pregnancy, so be sure to talk to your doctor or midwife but in the absence of those types of conditions, you should be good to go. Granted my wife had an OB/GYN with her when we traveled but we we’re flying all over the world until her last month of pregnancy. Hope that helps and safe travels!

TC957

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Airlines in the UK generally allow passengers up to 28 weeks, and even up to 32 weeks with appropriate GP/Medical approval.
Most airlines have info on this matter on their websites.