FromCDGtoSYD
Topic Author

Airports with the most 5th freedom routes

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:51 am

I was just wondering which aiport had the most 5th freedom routes, SIN must be high up there with EK, MK, KL, BA, QF, ET and many more in the past.

And whilst we're at it, what is your favorite 5th freedom route ? Mine would have to be be CMB - MLE, a seemingly normal route that has 5 airlines dueling it out, 4 of them using air freedom rights (KE, CZ, MU and EK).

LAX772LR

Re: Airports with the most 5th freedom routes

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:29 am

Don't know off hand, but I'd be shocked if BKK wasn't in the top 3, or even #1.

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
And whilst we're at it, what is your favorite 5th freedom route ?

SIN-HKG-SFO (SQ) - for no real profound reason, other than I love HKG, am fascinated by HKG airport, admire SQ, and love SFO. The route brings them all together.

Felt the same about SQ's SIN-HKG-LAS, back when they offered that.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

vhqpa

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:52 pm

While not so much anymore for a while AKL used to see a fair amount of fifth freedom. Now it's just EK AKL-DPS; CI AKL-BNE; D7 AKL-OOL and LA AKL-SYD. But BI/TG/GA/UA/AR/QF have had fifth freedom flights passing through AKL in the last 20 years. It wasn't that long ago that EK used to fly AKL-SYD/MEL/BNE.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Kno

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:30 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

SIN-HKG-SFO (SQ) - for no real profound reason, other than I love HKG, am fascinated by HKG airport, admire SQ, and love SFO. The route brings them all together.

HKG really is an aviation lovers paradise. Tons of action, widebodies from all over the world, high ceilings and giant windows with panoramic views of the action surrounding you at all times, and just an efficient and easy airport all around.

BENAir01

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:32 pm

I think BKK is pretty likely. As for my favorite routes, I think QR GRU-EZE and EK GIG-EZE are pretty cool and interesting.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Let see...right now BKK has:
CX BKK-SIN
MS HKG-BKK (Not 100% sure whether they have fifth freedom rights. They just restarted the route not long ago)
EK BKK-HKG and BKK-SYD
ET BKK-HKG
BR BKK-LHR/AMS/VIE
KQ BKK-CAN
RJ BKK-HKG
QR BKK-HAN
U6 BKK-DSN/CGQ (Had to look this one up...and yes, it's bookable).

There were probably a few more airlines that were on HKG-BKK, can't remember the exact list from top of my head, though.

HKG is also up there:
EK/ET/RJ/(MS?) HKG-BKK; ET HKG-MNL (Don't remember whether they have fifth freedom on that, though)
TG HKG-ICN (Ending in October, though)
CI HKG-CGK
SQ HKG-SFO
AI HKG-KIX/ICN

There was UA HKG-SGN/SIN and IIRC HKG-NRT, also NW then DL on HKG-NRT just from the top of my head.

As for my favorite, definitely CX's HKG-YVR-JFK. Fascinating that the route stayed even after CX began flying HKG-JFK non-stop.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

simpv

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:37 pm

AF on MIA-PAP is a weird one since it has a narrow-body plane in North America. AF still flies others like LAX-PPT and MIA-FDF, but I guess those aren't technically 5th freedom routes.

alex0easy

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm

My guess would be BKK, HKG or NRT.
TPE and SYD has quite a few as well.

blandy62

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Probably still BKK even if they lost a lot over the past 10 years. All the bkk-sin are gone. Bkk-mnl is gone. Bkk-hkg has lost a few players too. Cx only have bkk-sin left.... Bkk-sgn are gone. Bkk-han is soon history. Bkk-maa on air Austral us gone too

Bkk got this interesting bkk-wuh on Maldivian once a week. Bkk-ccu on bhuhtan airlines and drukair. Bkk-gau and bkk-ixb on drukair.

HKG has lost a lot too. Hkg-nrt is gone. Tg will soon terminate hkg-icn. Hkg-tpe has gone a long time ago. Hkg-sin is no more

The low cost killed quite a bit of 5th freedom in asia

lightsaber

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:00 pm

My guess is that the order is:
BKK
DXB
SIN

Anyone have numbers?
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

fraspotter

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:33 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
And whilst we're at it, what is your favorite 5th freedom route?)

While I've never flown on either of them, I always thought that the JFK-FRA on SQ and ORD-FRA on Air India (when it was still operating) were cool flights. I would routinely see the SQ and Air India 747s coming in for landing at FRA and had a few good friends that were able to travel to Europe due to Air India's routinely rock bottom prices. Does anyone know the exact date that the ORD-FRA Air India flight was canned?
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

konkret

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:42 pm

lightsaber wrote:
BKK
DXB
SIN

Anyone have numbers?

Why DXB? With Royal Brunei gone there will be only Cathay Pacific to Bahrain and Swiss to Muscat left.

RetiredWeasel

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:56 pm

During their heyday, red tails flew the following 5th freedom flights at one time:

NRT-TPE
NRT-MNL
NRT-BKK
NRT-KUL
NRT-SEL/ICN
NRT-PVG
NRT-PEK
NRT-PUS
NRT-HKG
NRT-SIN

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:36 pm

blandy62 wrote:

It's not necessarily just LCCs. Between alliances growing in prominence (i.e. UA at NRT), growth of market (Many CX fifth freedom out of BKK are turn into non-stops, i.e. BOM/CMB), more efficient airplanes enabling more non-stops, opening up of airspaces (i.e. Polar Route over Russian/PRC airspace basically "killed" NRT fifth freedom network, same for many flights that used to stopped at BKK), etc. are also among the reasons why we're seeing less 5th freedoms.

P.S. For SIN:
CX SIN-BKK(-HKG)
EK SIN-BNE/MEL (and also CMB for now)
ET (ADD-)SIN-KUL
GA (CGK-)SIN->AMS (one way only)
KL (AMS-)SIN-DPS
QF SIN-LHR
HY SIN-KUL(-TAS) (Not sure if they have fifth freedom or not)
KB SIN-GAU or CCU (Again, don't know if they have fifth freedom or not, since GAU or CCU are more of a "technical stop" on the way to Paro). They actually stops at IXU/GAU/CCU between BKK and PBH depends on the day of the week also (along with a daily non-stop BKK-PBH), but I'm not sure whether those are bookable or not.

JayBCNLON

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:36 pm

simpv wrote:
AF on MIA-PAP is a weird one since it has a narrow-body plane in North America. AF still flies others like LAX-PPT and MIA-FDF, but I guess those aren't technically 5th freedom routes.

They are not just technically not 5th freedom routes, they simply aren’t. Some of France‘s territory - fully integrated territory that is - is located in North America (f.e. the islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique) ans so MIA-FDF is a flight from the USA to France. And Tahiti is a French overseas department where aviation law is French. So nothing weird here :)

mafaky

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:39 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
I think BKK is pretty likely. As for my favorite routes, I think QR GRU-EZE and EK GIG-EZE are pretty cool and interesting.

TK also has 5th Freedom right for GRU-EZE-GRU.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

lightsaber

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:46 pm

konkret wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
BKK
DXB
SIN

Anyone have numbers?

Why DXB? With Royal Brunei gone there will be only Cathay Pacific to Bahrain and Swiss to Muscat left.

DXB has 5th freedom rights granted in many bilaterals. That is how the airport started. If they are not using those rights, I would like to know.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

konkret

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 pm

lightsaber wrote:
konkret wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
BKK
DXB
SIN

Anyone have numbers?

DXB has 5th freedom rights granted in many bilaterals. That is how the airport started. If they are not using those rights, I would like to know.

Lightsaber

Sorry, missed the past tense in the original question.

FA9295

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Huh, I had no idea that a HKG-LAS leg was ever ran? Well, I guess you learn something new every day! :D

I don't want to get too off topic though, but do you know when SQ had flown this route...?

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:17 pm

FA9295 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Huh, I had no idea that a HKG-LAS leg was ever ran? Well, I guess you learn something new every day! :D

I don't want to get too off topic though, but do you know when SQ had flown this route...?

August 2002 - around April 2003:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2002/mar/1 ... ice-to-la/
viewtopic.php?t=195449

SARS greatly affected travel demand to the region in 2003, and SQ killed off a bunch of routes that they never operated since.

Otherwise, reading some old threads:
viewtopic.php?t=570977
viewtopic.php?t=209047

BKK definitely tops it all (and probably still does). BKK-HKG and BKK-SIN were full of fifth freedom. Other notable one would be SIN-CGK or HKG-MNL or even HKG-TPE (The like of KLM Asia, British Asia Airways, etc. all used to fly that route IIRC). Then there's NRT of course, with the numerous flights on NW and UA.

gunnerman

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 pm

I've been on loads of 5th freedom flights but none as memorable as UA's SIN-HKG-SFO, specifically the Checkerboard Turn on the approach to Kai Tak in December 1992.

blandy62

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:58 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
blandy62 wrote:

It's not necessarily just LCCs. Between alliances growing in prominence (i.e. UA at NRT), growth of market (Many CX fifth freedom out of BKK are turn into non-stops, i.e. BOM/CMB), more efficient airplanes enabling more non-stops, opening up of airspaces (i.e. Polar Route over Russian/PRC airspace basically "killed" NRT fifth freedom network, same for many flights that used to stopped at BKK), etc. are also among the reasons why we're seeing less 5th freedoms.

P.S. For SIN:
CX SIN-BKK(-HKG)
ET (ADD-)SIN-KUL
KL (AMS-)SIN-DPS
QF SIN-LHR
KB SIN-GAU or CCU (Again, don't know if they have fifth freedom or not, since GAU or CCU are more of a "technical stop" on the way to Paro). They actually stops at IXU/GAU/CCU between BKK and PBH depends on the day of the week also (along with a daily non-stop BKK-PBH), but I'm not sure whether those are bookable or not.

Yes you are but you look at sin-bkk and sin-hkg it is clear that the l caused it. Yes still has 5th freedom on ccu-sin and soon-to-be more to sin-gau. The segment between BKK and Indian ports are also bookable on both Bhutan airlines and drukair air

blandy62

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 am

blandy62 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
blandy62 wrote:

P.S. For SIN:
CX SIN-BKK(-HKG)
ET (ADD-)SIN-KUL
KL (AMS-)SIN-DPS
QF SIN-LHR

Yes you are right but you look at sin-bkk and sin-hkg it is clear that the LCC caused it at least initialy.Yes druk still has 5th freedom on ccu-sin and soon-to-more to sin-gau. The segment between BKK and Indian ports are also bookable on both Bhutan airlines and drukair air

blandy62

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

August 2002 - around April 2003:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2002/mar/1 ... ice-to-la/
viewtopic.php?t=195449

SARS greatly affected travel demand to the region in 2003, and SQ killed off a bunch of routes that they never operated since.

Otherwise, reading some old threads:
viewtopic.php?t=570977
viewtopic.php?t=209047

BKK definitely tops it all (and probably still does). BKK-HKG and BKK-SIN were full of fifth freedom. Other notable one would be SIN-CGK or HKG-MNL or even HKG-TPE (The like of KLM Asia, British Asia Airways, etc. all used to fly that route IIRC). Then there's NRT of course, with the numerous flights on NW and UA.

I have been trying to find out who was having the 5th freedom on hkg-mnl before? I remember seeing the SR md11 leaving for mnl. Not sure if they had the right or not. I wonder if ET will eventually get the right on that segmenr

Galwayman

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:27 am

Are all of FRs flights at STN 5th freedom routes ?

That’s about 100 at STN straight away

My favourite 5th freedom routes were ( sadly past tense ) all the SU flights from SNN to Havana , Mexico City etc

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 am

FA9295 wrote:

SQ tried to capitalize on the burgeoning ties linking LAS with HKG/MFM; as well as the exploding interest in LAS itself, by Asian markets who were swiftly recovering from that region's massive recession in the '90s.

The flights were SQ010 (eastbound) and SQ009 (westbound), and opped from 2002 to 2003.
They were flown by 2-class 77Es of the 9C-SV* series only, and featured the "SpaceBed" product.

The above is the only external pic of an SQ ship in LAS, and the following is the A.net thread about the inaugural flight:
viewtopic.php?t=163745

Unfortunately, the US market was still weak from 9/11, and traffic was very 1-sided:
the flights would come in full from HKG, but they'd often depart LAS with less than 100 pax..... due to many Asians extending their journey to LAX/SFO, rather than return on the nonstop.

Even massive discounting on the US side wasn't enough to stem the difference.
The SARS outbreak dealt this service a coup de grace. Was sad to see it go. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ZK-NBT

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 am

vhqpa wrote:
While not so much anymore for a while AKL used to see a fair amount of fifth freedom. Now it's just EK AKL-DPS; CI AKL-BNE; D7 AKL-OOL and LA AKL-SYD. But BI/TG/GA/UA/AR/QF have had fifth freedom flights passing through AKL in the last 20 years. It wasn't that long ago that EK used to fly AKL-SYD/MEL/BNE.

Yep few more current, VA-AKL-RAR, AKL-TBU.

Few more previous in last 20 years, MH AKL-BNE, KE AKL-NAN.

AKL-BNE, MH 744, TG 744/M11/773, BI 763, GA D10/333, EK 380/773/77W/345/332
AKL-SYD, TG 744/743/742/773, AR 342/742, EK 380/77W/773/345, PH 733, CI 333/343/M11, CA 744
AKL-MEL, UA 744, EK 380:773/77W/345
AKL-TBU, PH 733
AKL-NAN, KE 744/773/772/M11
AKL-PPT, QF 763
AKL-LAX, QF 744/743/332
AKL-EZE, QF 744
AKL-SIN, JQ 332

c933103

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:57 am

NRT (DL and other), DUB (ET and others), BKK (CI and others), GRU (EK and others using it as stop over point, while Asian carriers using it as fifth freedom termination point), etc...
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

bhxdtw

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am

BHX used to see fifth freedom routes

BHX - JFK on Uzbekistan - 767
BHX - YYZ on Pakistan - 743/742(?)
BHX - YYZ on Air India - 77E(?) / 788

When PK first started BHX they flew the 742 via IST, FCO, CPH... They flew to KHI, LHR and ISB... I think the services from BHX to these European stops were sold

I believe Manchester has some routes still on Asian carriers that go by a European city. SQ used to stop in MUC I think and doesn't SV stop someplace?

B777LRF

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:56 am

CDG or CGN, courtesy of FedEx and UPS respectively. Almost all their flights are 5th freedom, barring a few trans Atlantic, and they operate 50+ out of each hub every night to destinations all over Europe.
Signature. You just read one.

blandy62

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 am

B777LRF wrote:
CDG or CGN, courtesy of FedEx and UPS respectively. Almost all their flights are 5th freedom, barring a few trans Atlantic, and they operate 50+ out of each hub every night to destinations all over Europe.

I might be wrong but I thought freighter routes are différents

blandy62

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 am

Galwayman wrote:
Are all of FRs flights at STN 5th freedom routes ?

That’s about 100 at STN straight away

My favourite 5th freedom routes were ( sadly past tense ) all the SU flights from SNN to Havana , Mexico City etc

Nope they are not. Not so sure how it will work out after brexit

mjoelnir

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 am

lightsaber wrote:
BKK
DXB
SIN

Anyone have numbers?

I do not think that DXB is high on that list.

https://www.flypointyend.com/5th-freedom-flights/

You can have a look yourself.

Victorville

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:42 pm

BENAir01 wrote:

EZE has a few:

QR GRU-EZE
ET GRU-EZE
TK GRU-EZE
EK GIG-EZE
KL SCL-EZE

Plus a few LATAM flights that may or may not be 5th freedom depending on your definition

LA JFK-EZE
XL LIM-EZE
PZ GIG-EZE