danvs
Topic Author

JFK layover: Can I "visit" a different terminal?

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi there,
I'm flying into JFK next Sunday (terminal 4), with bags to collect. I have another flight 8 hours later from terminal 8.
Since there's little to do in terminal 8 (even plane spotting is bad there), my idea is to checkin the bags at terminal 8, return to terminal 4 and spend my afternoon there. However, I'll have a boarding pass to a flight that is not departing from that terminal.
Will TSA agents refuse to allow me in terminal 4 (or any terminal other than terminal 8)? Or having a boarding pass will allow me into any JFK terminal?
Thanks!

ChrisKen

Re: JFK layover: Can I "visit" a different terminal?

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 pm

You should be refused entry to airside in a terminal other than the one you're departing from as the boarding pass won't be valid. You can visit the landside terminal though.

spacecadet

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:58 pm

You can get in to T4 but there's not a lot you can see or do. I haven't been to every terminal at JFK recently but I'm pretty sure they're all similar in that way, and one or two won't really let you in at all (I think T2 has security right at the door, if I remember right). You can go to the arrival and departure halls at T4 but they're not that impressive and there's not a lot in them other than ticket counters and waiting areas, respectively.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

asuflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:54 pm

There is really not much before security at all of the JFK Terminals, save for Dunkin Donuts. Terminal 4 has a diner on the arrivals level. The rest everything is airside and TSA will only allow you through security for the terminal you are departing. JFK spotting at the airport is best on the upper levels of the T5 parking garage.

fbgdavidson

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 am

ChrisKen wrote:
You should be refused entry to airside in a terminal other than the one you're departing from as the boarding pass won't be valid. You can visit the landside terminal though.

This is incorrect. You should be able to access the airside portion of any terminal with a same day boarding pass from that airport. I have done this at several airports over the last 10yrs for lounge access or similar.

The TSA should not give any issue with this. In fact the last time I did this (at EWR to access the UA Polaris lounge) the TSO gave me a load of grief for letting him know I knew I was going airside in a different terminal.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ubeema

JFK layover: Can I "visit" a different terminal?

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 am

fbgdavidson is right. TSA mandate is to control passengers, and accredited airlines and airport employees to prevent prohibited items from entering the sterile area of an airport.
There’s lots of shopping and food in T4 but 8 hours is still a long time unless you shop like a lady

spacecadet

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:22 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
This is incorrect. You should be able to access the airside portion of any terminal with a same day boarding pass from that airport. I have done this at several airports over the last 10yrs for lounge access or similar.

"Should be" and "will be" are two different things, especially at JFK. He *may* be able to access the airside portion of other terminals, depending on the terminal, the TSA officer on desk duty, and what he/she had for breakfast that morning. There are lots of people around the internet, including here, who have not been able to transfer between terminals at JFK, and others who have. But telling someone they definitely will be able to is setting them up for disappointment. They can try, but there's no guarantee of success, and depending on what you're carrying with you and how you do it, it can be a big PITA going to a different terminal and only then finding out that you can't get in.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

danvs
Topic Author

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:04 am

Thank you for your answers.
I still haven't decided whether I take the LIRR to NYC and spend my afternoon there or if I try re-entering the airside of terminal 4. If I decide for the latter, I'll let you know if they let me in or not.

fbgdavidson

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 am

spacecadet wrote:
fbgdavidson wrote:

"Should be" and "will be" are two different things, especially at JFK. He *may* be able to access the airside portion of other terminals, depending on the terminal, the TSA officer on desk duty, and what he/she had for breakfast that morning. There are lots of people around the internet, including here, who have not been able to transfer between terminals at JFK, and others who have. But telling someone they definitely will be able to is setting them up for disappointment. They can try, but there's no guarantee of success, and depending on what you're carrying with you and how you do it, it can be a big PITA going to a different terminal and only then finding out that you can't get in.

It's a TSA policy, not just luck that I've accessed the airside portion of other terminals with a 100% success rate over the last 10yrs.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

evank516

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:10 pm

danvs wrote:
Thank you for your answers.
I still haven't decided whether I take the LIRR to NYC and spend my afternoon there or if I try re-entering the airside of terminal 4. If I decide for the latter, I'll let you know if they let me in or not.

Going to be honest with you, this seems like the better idea. There really isn't much to do at JFK. Terminal 4 is huge and has a nice retail area, but I wouldn't really make an effort to re-enter the sterile area just for that. Hop on the AirTrain to Jamaica and take the LIRR into the city and enjoy it. Plenty to do, see, eat, and buy there. If you really are stuck on staying at JFK though, I think T1 has a food court before security with some decent options.

jetstar

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:09 pm

In TPA we wanted to eat dinner at a restaurant that was in a different terminal than from where we were departing from, not only did the TSA let us through security, the TSA even honored our pre check privileges.

The only problem we had was with the private security checker at the entrance to the line, she did not recognize the boarding pass because it looked different from the ones she was used to looking at and at first refused to let us in, but a supervisor came over and allowed us in.

The TSA told us as long as the boarding pass was for the same day travel we would be allowed to enter any terminal at TPA.

JetStar

danvs
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:09 am

So here's what happened...
When I checked-in in Savannah, I realized my DL ticket included the AA leg from JFK to my foreign destination, which allowed me to dispatch the bags directly to my final destination without having to collect them at JFK.
I decided to stay in terminal 4. I could have taken the LIRR to Manhattan, but after having lunch in terminal 4, it was already 3 pm, so I would have only 2-3 hours in NYC before having to return to my 10pm flight in JFK.
I love watching planes and it's not in every airport in the world (or even in the US) that you have such a variety of airplanes and airlines. In JFK you can see from CRJ-200 to A380s. Also, last Sunday JFK was using runways 22L and 13L for landings and 13R for takeoffs. At the viewing area near gate A6, I could see the planes making the last turn from the VOR/DME approach to 22L, as well as airplanes departing 13R. I spent 4 hours there, and it passed like a breeze. Then I took the Airtrain to terminal 8, where I could see some airplanes banking right to land at 13L (but soon it became dark and the reflections on the windows made it impossible to watch anything outside).
When I passed security in terminal 8, I remembered that I had promised you an answer, so I asked the TSA officer who was checking the boarding passes if I could have entered another terminal in JFK, and he said that yes, I could have, as long as I had a valid boarding pass.

Thank you all for your inputs!

*My DL flight SAV-JFK was quite memorable. The captain made several speeches during the flight, and you could feel by the way he talked that he truly loved flying. He actually said, among other usual stuff, that he loved landing in JFK, and also that it would be a smooth landing. It was a quite hard landing though, and then when taxiing to the gate, he apologized and said he "didn't know where that came from", all in a "oops" tone of voice. The guy is one-of-a-kind! Also quite exhilarating to me was to experience the famous Canarsie approach inside an airplane (I had seen only on YT videos), an approach I've always wanted to experience and that I'll never forget.

aeromoe

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 am

danvs wrote:
So here's what happened...
When I checked-in in Savannah, I realized my DL ticket included the AA leg from JFK to my foreign destination, which allowed me to dispatch the bags directly to my final destination without having to collect them at JFK.
I decided to stay in terminal 4. I could have taken the LIRR to Manhattan, but after having lunch in terminal 4, it was already 3 pm, so I would have only 2-3 hours in NYC before having to return to my 10pm flight in JFK.
I love watching planes and it's not in every airport in the world (or even in the US) that you have such a variety of airplanes and airlines. In JFK you can see from CRJ-200 to A380s. Also, last Sunday JFK was using runways 22L and 13L for landings and 13R for takeoffs. At the viewing area near gate A6, I could see the planes making the last turn from the VOR/DME approach to 22L, as well as airplanes departing 13R. I spent 4 hours there, and it passed like a breeze. Then I took the Airtrain to terminal 8, where I could see some airplanes banking right to land at 13L (but soon it became dark and the reflections on the windows made it impossible to watch anything outside).
When I passed security in terminal 8, I remembered that I had promised you an answer, so I asked the TSA officer who was checking the boarding passes if I could have entered another terminal in JFK, and he said that yes, I could have, as long as I had a valid boarding pass.

Thank you all for your inputs!

*My DL flight SAV-JFK was quite memorable. The captain made several speeches during the flight, and you could feel by the way he talked that he truly loved flying. He actually said, among other usual stuff, that he loved landing in JFK, and also that it would be a smooth landing. It was a quite hard landing though, and then when taxiing to the gate, he apologized and said he "didn't know where that came from", all in a "oops" tone of voice. The guy is one-of-a-kind! Also quite exhilarating to me was to experience the famous Canarsie approach inside an airplane (I had seen only on YT videos), an approach I've always wanted to experience and that I'll never forget.

Glad you had an enjoyable experience at JFK. The end of jetBlue T5 is also a very good viewing location.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Tenaja85

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for sharing-- JFK is a fun airport for planespotting!