Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tlecam
Topic Author

Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Just read this article. http://skift.com/2018/09/28/delta-ceo-d ... is-coming/

I haven’t seen anything official from DL, but if so, I think this will be popular with consumers.

Will be interesting to see how this performs with everyone using it, even on the newer “fast” WiFi systems.

Mods - delete if this is a dupe - I searched but couldn’t find anything.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

flipdewaf

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:28 pm

I’ll be totally honest that this will make difference when booking flights with work. I will make a preference towards do when going TATL. Already used their free messaging that goes along with every ticket (iMessage and Facebook messenger works great, also seems that it lets Tapatalk work partially too) and it was brill to text wife at 38kft.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalmd88

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Ed has talked about free wifi for a while now. It all comes down to bandwidth. Only when there is enough bandwidth available to give a good speed to a plane load would they do it. I have no idea how far they have gotten towards that goal.

deltal1011man

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

I wouldn't think this is something he is saying for the short term. More of a long term idea, which I'm sure will be true at some point.

The technology isn't there and the costs aren't there right now. The wifi is slow enough with just people paying for it, it'd be a mess with everyone on the plan using it.

*note 2ku is much better, but i still don't think its good enough.

ahj2000

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm just thinking of what may happen if I actually need to get real work done and 160 other people are using all the limited bandwidth on YouTube. Until bandwidth manages to get better on planes, I actually think a paywall helps keep traffic clear for business travelers for whom wifi is a deciding factor when choosing flights.
-Andrés Juánez

Varsity1

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I've always wondered if they could install 2 of the same systems on one aircraft. A premium connection for J/F and econ for Y.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

mxaxai

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
I'm just thinking of what may happen if I actually need to get real work done and 160 other people are using all the limited bandwidth on YouTube. Until bandwidth manages to get better on planes, I actually think a paywall helps keep traffic clear for business travelers for whom wifi is a deciding factor when choosing flights.

I think you'd want to limit the individual bandwidth anyway, and/or offer guaranteed high speed offers for a premium. You could also implement a data cap. 200 MB is fully sufficient for a couple of hours of light surfing and messaging, but 1080p YouTube will eat that in less than 20 minutes. Our local trains and busses work that way.

Btw a friend happened to enjoy a free "unlimited wifi for 1 hour" promo by BA earlier this year and still got some pretty decent wifi speeds over the atlantic. In fact better than at his home (in the US). Just had a huge ping :chat:

flipdewaf

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Just had a huge ping
Surely that sort of content would be banned in flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VS4ever

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm

given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Cactusjuba

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

It's still a few years off before free wifi arrives. Listening to Ed Bastian speak about this at other times, he understands the concerns brought up on these posts. DL cares about business travelers, and has to keep the paywall up to protect the quality. But the tech is being developed and will be available in a few years for free wifi that allows high speed data for all, including video streaming. DL has even formed an alliance with Airbus, Sprint and others to help push this forward. See link below:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tele ... SKCN1GA0TT

MIflyer12

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:41 pm

VS4ever wrote:
given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.

When did you take your flight, and on what aircraft? DL has 2Ku wifi on over 400 narrowbodies at this point? Gogo ATG and ATG-4 experiences just aren't relevant to 2Ku.

compensateme

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:42 pm

I would suspect that when free WiFi is offered, it will be the limited tier (e-mail and general web browsing), perhaps limiting the amount of data transferred, offering passengers an opportunity to upcharge.

I’d be surprised if we see DL, or any other major airline, offer free, unrestricted high speed webacesss anytime soon. It’d be cheaper to reinstate meal service...

deltal1011man wrote:
I wouldn't think this is something he is saying for the short term. More of a long term idea, which I'm sure will be true at some point.

The technology isn't there and the costs aren't there right now. The wifi is slow enough with just people paying for it, it'd be a mess with everyone on the plan using it.

Uh oh, somebody’s accusing DL of an SEC violation. (Sarcasm)
We don’t care what your next flight is.

N649DL

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
It's still a few years off before free wifi arrives. Listening to Ed Bastian speak about this at other times, he understands the concerns brought up on these posts. DL cares about business travelers, and has to keep the paywall up to protect the quality. But the tech is being developed and will be available in a few years for free wifi that allows high speed data for all, including video streaming. DL has even formed an alliance with Airbus, Sprint and others to help push this forward. See link below:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tele ... SKCN1GA0TT

DL is my preferred carrier as I'm Gold with them but Gogo Wifi is absolutely terrible. It drops in pockets and the price keeps going up as if it's the price of gas. Generally it's terrible going over the Rockies and over Utah. The 2K system is a lot better as I've been able to watch Youtube videos on it reliably.

I always say that UA should be looking more into free Wifi as they have that streaming program on a lot of it fleet. When that drops it would be good to go on the internet for free.

ibthebigd

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:10 pm

How does Southwest free TV work?

I have used it on some pretty long flights and had little issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FWAERJ

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 am

ibthebigd wrote:
How does Southwest free TV work?

I have used it on some pretty long flights and had little issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WN uses DISH Network, the same satellite TV company DL uses. Difference is that the DISH signals (from their own TV broadcast satellites) are streamed over Wi-Fi on WN and channeled to PTVs on DL.

I think Panasonic worked with DISH on both systems.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

spinkid

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 am

I can't even get the free messenger to work. I'm trying to think if it was Delta or another carrier I paid for wifi and had no luck. I'm not willing to pay until the systems are upgraded.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 am

Considering 50% of the time I'm on a DL aircraft, the wifi system seems to be INOP.....
In the past month, I've been on an A320, MD-90, and CR7 with INOP wifi service.

Hey the 2ku on a brand spankin' new 739 was nice a few weeks ago.

VS4ever

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

When did you take your flight, and on what aircraft? DL has 2Ku wifi on over 400 narrowbodies at this point? Gogo ATG and ATG-4 experiences just aren't relevant to 2Ku.

Middle of August and on a 752, couldn't give you the reg. number i am afraid. Doesn't matter to be honest, if you are going to offer an experience, have one that is usable, this was not it. I am sure the 2Ku is better, but charging $9 an hour for ***t that don't work, is ridiculous. PS, wasn't much better on the 319 i subsequently took from MSP-AUS, but at least i could check my email.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

MSPNWA

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 am

It was a ridiculous article. DL could have already rolled out free Wifi. They simply don't want to yet--like the other big 4 carriers and AS. It's not technology. It's money.

IADFCO

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 am

Wow! Something for free?! What kind of a business model is that? Someone might come up with the idea of offering free chickenorpasta! That's no way to run an airline!

Justapax

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 am

spinkid wrote:
I can't even get the free messenger to work. I'm trying to think if it was Delta or another carrier I paid for wifi and had no luck. I'm not willing to pay until the systems are upgraded.

I had the same problem on DL until I updated the OS on my iPhone. Now it works really well using iMessage.

mxaxai

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 am

flipdewaf wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
Just had a huge ping
Surely that sort of content would be banned in flight?

If you're thinking about online gaming, it might have been. He didn't try. The stats came from an online bandwidth / ping checker.

Flighty

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am

VS4ever wrote:

Agree, the 2017 refurbished A320 I was on in mid September had maybe a 3% functional wifi. I could not even send one email on corporate network. They really need to start from square one here. They need to actually do real problem solving, real diagnostics, hire real people who understand customer requirements. The executives responsible today should be let go. Enough years of this.

jumbojet

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Robert Isom, president of AA, has publicly said that AA will never offer free WIFI. I wonder what UA's position is on this? Probably the usual, wait and see what DL Does and then react. DL will do it, I have no doubt. DL invests in the customer experience. The others, maybe with the exception of B6, do not.

deltal1011man

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 pm

compensateme wrote:
I would suspect that when free WiFi is offered, it will be the limited tier (e-mail and general web browsing), perhaps limiting the amount of data transferred, offering passengers an opportunity to upcharge.

I’d be surprised if we see DL, or any other major airline, offer free, unrestricted high speed webacesss anytime soon. It’d be cheaper to reinstate meal service...

deltal1011man wrote:

Uh oh, somebody’s accusing DL of an SEC violation. (Sarcasm)

not getting the reference but okay.

nice sig line btw, assuming it is what I think it is. (no sarcasm)

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Considering 50% of the time I'm on a DL aircraft, the wifi system seems to be INOP.....
In the past month, I've been on an A320, MD-90, and CR7 with INOP wifi service.

Hey the 2ku on a brand spankin' new 739 was nice a few weeks ago.

yep. I have had about the same luck with reliability.

MIflyer12 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

2ku is much better but its still like going from dial up to some of the first DSL systems. I was on a 319 with 2KU a few weeks ago and it was a struggle just to check facebook.

danvs

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:33 am

I'm not sure if this adds anything to the topic, but...

As you probably know, Norwegian offers *free* wifi on its flights, and I had the chance to experience it on a 738 last June when flying Catania-Madrid. I used FR24 app on my Android (the app isn't heavy, but it's not as light as text messaging). It worked perfectly fine, even with the wifi being free and with most passengers being tourists.

rj777

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 pm

He said he can't think of anywhere else that doesn't offer free Wi-Fi? Try some AIRPORTS? (MKE for example)