Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
tlecam
Topic Author
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Just read this article. http://skift.com/2018/09/28/delta-ceo-d ... is-coming/

I haven’t seen anything official from DL, but if so, I think this will be popular with consumers.

Will be interesting to see how this performs with everyone using it, even on the newer “fast” WiFi systems.

Mods - delete if this is a dupe - I searched but couldn’t find anything.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3652
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:28 pm

I’ll be totally honest that this will make difference when booking flights with work. I will make a preference towards do when going TATL. Already used their free messaging that goes along with every ticket (iMessage and Facebook messenger works great, also seems that it lets Tapatalk work partially too) and it was brill to text wife at 38kft.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3150
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Ed has talked about free wifi for a while now. It all comes down to bandwidth. Only when there is enough bandwidth available to give a good speed to a plane load would they do it. I have no idea how far they have gotten towards that goal.
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5362
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

I wouldn't think this is something he is saying for the short term. More of a long term idea, which I'm sure will be true at some point.

The technology isn't there and the costs aren't there right now. The wifi is slow enough with just people paying for it, it'd be a mess with everyone on the plan using it.


*note 2ku is much better, but i still don't think its good enough.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm just thinking of what may happen if I actually need to get real work done and 160 other people are using all the limited bandwidth on YouTube. Until bandwidth manages to get better on planes, I actually think a paywall helps keep traffic clear for business travelers for whom wifi is a deciding factor when choosing flights.
-Andrés Juánez
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I've always wondered if they could install 2 of the same systems on one aircraft. A premium connection for J/F and econ for Y.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
I'm just thinking of what may happen if I actually need to get real work done and 160 other people are using all the limited bandwidth on YouTube. Until bandwidth manages to get better on planes, I actually think a paywall helps keep traffic clear for business travelers for whom wifi is a deciding factor when choosing flights.

I think you'd want to limit the individual bandwidth anyway, and/or offer guaranteed high speed offers for a premium. You could also implement a data cap. 200 MB is fully sufficient for a couple of hours of light surfing and messaging, but 1080p YouTube will eat that in less than 20 minutes. Our local trains and busses work that way.

Btw a friend happened to enjoy a free "unlimited wifi for 1 hour" promo by BA earlier this year and still got some pretty decent wifi speeds over the atlantic. In fact better than at his home (in the US). Just had a huge ping :chat:
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3652
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Just had a huge ping
Surely that sort of content would be banned in flight?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2574
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm

given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
Cactusjuba
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

It's still a few years off before free wifi arrives. Listening to Ed Bastian speak about this at other times, he understands the concerns brought up on these posts. DL cares about business travelers, and has to keep the paywall up to protect the quality. But the tech is being developed and will be available in a few years for free wifi that allows high speed data for all, including video streaming. DL has even formed an alliance with Airbus, Sprint and others to help push this forward. See link below:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tele ... SKCN1GA0TT
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8271
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:41 pm

VS4ever wrote:
given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.


When did you take your flight, and on what aircraft? DL has 2Ku wifi on over 400 narrowbodies at this point? Gogo ATG and ATG-4 experiences just aren't relevant to 2Ku.
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:42 pm

I would suspect that when free WiFi is offered, it will be the limited tier (e-mail and general web browsing), perhaps limiting the amount of data transferred, offering passengers an opportunity to upcharge.

I’d be surprised if we see DL, or any other major airline, offer free, unrestricted high speed webacesss anytime soon. It’d be cheaper to reinstate meal service...

deltal1011man wrote:
I wouldn't think this is something he is saying for the short term. More of a long term idea, which I'm sure will be true at some point.

The technology isn't there and the costs aren't there right now. The wifi is slow enough with just people paying for it, it'd be a mess with everyone on the plan using it.


*note 2ku is much better, but i still don't think its good enough.


Uh oh, somebody’s accusing DL of an SEC violation. (Sarcasm)
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
N649DL
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
It's still a few years off before free wifi arrives. Listening to Ed Bastian speak about this at other times, he understands the concerns brought up on these posts. DL cares about business travelers, and has to keep the paywall up to protect the quality. But the tech is being developed and will be available in a few years for free wifi that allows high speed data for all, including video streaming. DL has even formed an alliance with Airbus, Sprint and others to help push this forward. See link below:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tele ... SKCN1GA0TT


DL is my preferred carrier as I'm Gold with them but Gogo Wifi is absolutely terrible. It drops in pockets and the price keeps going up as if it's the price of gas. Generally it's terrible going over the Rockies and over Utah. The 2K system is a lot better as I've been able to watch Youtube videos on it reliably.

I always say that UA should be looking more into free Wifi as they have that streaming program on a lot of it fleet. When that drops it would be good to go on the internet for free.
 
ibthebigd
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:10 pm

How does Southwest free TV work?

I have used it on some pretty long flights and had little issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
FWAERJ
Posts: 2815
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:23 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 am

ibthebigd wrote:
How does Southwest free TV work?

I have used it on some pretty long flights and had little issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


WN uses DISH Network, the same satellite TV company DL uses. Difference is that the DISH signals (from their own TV broadcast satellites) are streamed over Wi-Fi on WN and channeled to PTVs on DL.

I think Panasonic worked with DISH on both systems.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1895
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 am

I can't even get the free messenger to work. I'm trying to think if it was Delta or another carrier I paid for wifi and had no luck. I'm not willing to pay until the systems are upgraded.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8156
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 am

Considering 50% of the time I'm on a DL aircraft, the wifi system seems to be INOP.....
In the past month, I've been on an A320, MD-90, and CR7 with INOP wifi service.

Hey the 2ku on a brand spankin' new 739 was nice a few weeks ago.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2574
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.


When did you take your flight, and on what aircraft? DL has 2Ku wifi on over 400 narrowbodies at this point? Gogo ATG and ATG-4 experiences just aren't relevant to 2Ku.


Middle of August and on a 752, couldn't give you the reg. number i am afraid. Doesn't matter to be honest, if you are going to offer an experience, have one that is usable, this was not it. I am sure the 2Ku is better, but charging $9 an hour for ***t that don't work, is ridiculous. PS, wasn't much better on the 319 i subsequently took from MSP-AUS, but at least i could check my email.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3698
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 am

It was a ridiculous article. DL could have already rolled out free Wifi. They simply don't want to yet--like the other big 4 carriers and AS. It's not technology. It's money.
 
IADFCO
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 am

Wow! Something for free?! What kind of a business model is that? Someone might come up with the idea of offering free chickenorpasta! That's no way to run an airline!
 
Justapax
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:31 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 am

spinkid wrote:
I can't even get the free messenger to work. I'm trying to think if it was Delta or another carrier I paid for wifi and had no luck. I'm not willing to pay until the systems are upgraded.

I had the same problem on DL until I updated the OS on my iPhone. Now it works really well using iMessage.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 am

flipdewaf wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
Just had a huge ping
Surely that sort of content would be banned in flight?

If you're thinking about online gaming, it might have been. He didn't try. The stats came from an online bandwidth / ping checker.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am

VS4ever wrote:
given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.


Agree, the 2017 refurbished A320 I was on in mid September had maybe a 3% functional wifi. I could not even send one email on corporate network. They really need to start from square one here. They need to actually do real problem solving, real diagnostics, hire real people who understand customer requirements. The executives responsible today should be let go. Enough years of this.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2957
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Robert Isom, president of AA, has publicly said that AA will never offer free WIFI. I wonder what UA's position is on this? Probably the usual, wait and see what DL Does and then react. DL will do it, I have no doubt. DL invests in the customer experience. The others, maybe with the exception of B6, do not.
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5362
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 pm

compensateme wrote:
I would suspect that when free WiFi is offered, it will be the limited tier (e-mail and general web browsing), perhaps limiting the amount of data transferred, offering passengers an opportunity to upcharge.

I’d be surprised if we see DL, or any other major airline, offer free, unrestricted high speed webacesss anytime soon. It’d be cheaper to reinstate meal service...

deltal1011man wrote:
I wouldn't think this is something he is saying for the short term. More of a long term idea, which I'm sure will be true at some point.

The technology isn't there and the costs aren't there right now. The wifi is slow enough with just people paying for it, it'd be a mess with everyone on the plan using it.


*note 2ku is much better, but i still don't think its good enough.


Uh oh, somebody’s accusing DL of an SEC violation. (Sarcasm)

not getting the reference but okay.


nice sig line btw, assuming it is what I think it is. (no sarcasm)

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Considering 50% of the time I'm on a DL aircraft, the wifi system seems to be INOP.....
In the past month, I've been on an A320, MD-90, and CR7 with INOP wifi service.

Hey the 2ku on a brand spankin' new 739 was nice a few weeks ago.

yep. I have had about the same luck with reliability.

MIflyer12 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
given how awful my experience with PAID wifi was the last time i took DL, (BOS-MSP), they have a long way to go yet and others are right, if they switch this to free, it's going to be infinitely worse. I couldn't be bothered to go after a refund, but frankly I should have done, it was basically unusable.


When did you take your flight, and on what aircraft? DL has 2Ku wifi on over 400 narrowbodies at this point? Gogo ATG and ATG-4 experiences just aren't relevant to 2Ku.

2ku is much better but its still like going from dial up to some of the first DSL systems. I was on a 319 with 2KU a few weeks ago and it was a struggle just to check facebook.
 
danvs
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:33 am

I'm not sure if this adds anything to the topic, but...

As you probably know, Norwegian offers *free* wifi on its flights, and I had the chance to experience it on a 738 last June when flying Catania-Madrid. I used FR24 app on my Android (the app isn't heavy, but it's not as light as text messaging). It worked perfectly fine, even with the wifi being free and with most passengers being tourists.
 
rj777
Posts: 1807
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:47 am

Re: Free Wifi coming on DL?

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 pm

He said he can't think of anywhere else that doesn't offer free Wi-Fi? Try some AIRPORTS? (MKE for example)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos