Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Your thoughts on Surinam Airways ?

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Your thoughts on Surinam Airways ?

Has anyone here flown on their Airbus 340. How was it, service , condition of aircraft etc ?

I read somewhere that they were planning on getting an additional long haul aircraft, but it does not seem to have come to anything ...

FlyRow

Re: Your thoughts on Surinam Airways ?

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:00 pm

It's very unreliable, and very underutilised. It used to stand for hours and hours on a remote stand before being used again. I believe TUI-Netherlands used it for some flights in the down-time.
But i've never seen a trip report sad to say. But I would take KLM/TUI instead of Surinam Airways if I would fly AMS-PBM..
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

mxaxai

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Only one way to find out: Step aboard yourself! And add it to your list of flown aircraft.

rlwynn

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:10 pm

What does underutilised have to do with anything?
I can drive faster than you

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:26 pm

I've heard they weren't very satisfied about it.

Their previous A340 was an ex Air France aircraft and although it was old it was comfortable. But due to it's age they had to replace it with another A340 a couple of years ago, which they found at China Southwest Airlines. But this aircraft has a lower seat pitch and worse IFE. It's not as comfortable as their previous A340. As Surinam Airways doesn't have the money to update the interior it still has the interior from China Southwest.

I agree it would be better to fly either KLM or TUIfly Netherlands. Both of them use newer and more comfortable aircraft on this route.

JAGflyer

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Suriname does not really have any long-distance ties or demand other than it's colonial allegiance with The Netherlands. They do not require additional long haul aircraft (unless they were to retire the A340 and obtain something like an A350 or B787).
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

FlyRow

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

rlwynn wrote:
What does underutilised have to do with anything?

It's just weird that a very small airline uses it's plane so inefective. It's on the ground 3 days a week in Amsterdam.

He asked my thoughts on Surinam Airways, I think this is a weird thing about the airline so I don't see why you're being difficutl.
Last edited by FlyRow on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

LGAviation

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:29 pm

If you're asking how it was, I'm going to throw my ten cents in from I think two years ago:

I needed to go from Guyana to Suriname on a given date and booked an SLM flight for I think it for $120 one way a few weeks ahead. When I checked back I think two weeks or so before travel, I found that they had moved my flight from Tuesday to Thursday and wouldn't offer any refund or anything online. So my only option was Caribbean Air to Trinidad and Tobago and self-connect there to the next Surinam Air flight with the POS-PBM leg being $180 alone. In the end that flight operated and I visited their head office in Paramaribo: No chance of a refund, I found an agent that promised me a refund via email but in the end the money never arrived. Back in the days, Insel Air was so much more reliable in the Dutch speaking Caribbean.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

Dutchy

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
(unless they were to retire the A340 and obtain something like an A350 or B787).

I believe they can't because they cannot comply with ETOPS rules, so that's why they need a 4 engined a/c, unless they wet lease a B787 or A350. Since they have an agreement with TUI, I wonder if they can't get a B787 on wet lease from them.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

AWACSooner

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Flew SLM from POS to CUR last year on a 733...and the flight left ON TIME...no complaints whatsoever. But, as is the case with most airlines from that region, you roll the dice when you book tix and fly with them.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 pm

LGAviation wrote:
If you're asking how it was, I'm going to throw my ten cents in from I think two years ago:

I needed to go from Guyana to Suriname on a given date and booked an SLM flight for I think it for $120 one way a few weeks ahead. When I checked back I think two weeks or so before travel, I found that they had moved my flight from Tuesday to Thursday and wouldn't offer any refund or anything online. So my only option was Caribbean Air to Trinidad and Tobago and self-connect there to the next Surinam Air flight with the POS-PBM leg being $180 alone. In the end that flight operated and I visited their head office in Paramaribo: No chance of a refund, I found an agent that promised me a refund via email but in the end the money never arrived. Back in the days, Insel Air was so much more reliable in the Dutch speaking Caribbean.

Not a very reliable service I understand. Sad to hear, but I guess it's a prestige project for the country to have it's own airline …

LGAviation

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am

Mortyman wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

Not a very reliable service I understand. Sad to hear, but I guess it's a prestige project for the country to have it's own airline …

Maybe it's more than a prestige project for them with Surinam otherwise getting pretty much scraps aside from the KLM link. There isn't even Copa in town, Insel Air is weaker now and using Venezuelan ac to my knowledge and Gol to Belem doesnt give you connections up north. For a country in Surinam's location, regional integration and business won't develop if the solution is always fly via Amsterdam to your neighbouring country.

Short side note with my story, I only found out because I was an aviation nerd and continually monitored prices to see if I made a good deal and only when they offered no more flights on that day I became curious and found that they had quiety changed the date without any email or anything whatsoever.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

dredgy

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 pm

I’ve never flown the A340 but have seen it parked in Paramaribo and have flown their 737, which was an experience - business class seats are old school lounge style, and even face backwards. I was stuck back in economy though and it was one of the least comfy flights I’ve ever had. Here’s a video I made in getting from PBM to EZE, since the flight was so late I didnt get a lot of footsge on the Surinam flight, but still; https://youtu.be/h4G_z1OlrWY EDIT: Nevermind, only one glimpse of the Surinam flight made it into the video. I’ll have to try and find photos.
The in flight magazine actually lists a lot of details (in poorly translated English) about the A340 and it’s maintenance procedures and stuff like that. There was about four pages on it iirc.