Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steveinbc
Topic Author

Best luggage for the frequent traveler

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:28 am

I've probably spent something crazy like $2000 over the past ten years trying to find the perfect piece of carry on luggage. I've had Samsonite, Travelpro, Heys, Swiss Gear, Delsey among others and they've ended up largely being a disappointment. I end up gifting them to my family and friends who are quite happy to take them. The most expensive has been the Travelpro which was and remains the best choice of the mainstream/ not totally crazy price brands.

However I was on Austrian Airlines a couple of weeks ago and their in flight magazine had a seasoned traveler swear that the Aluminum carry on by Away luggage (New York) was the best hed ever bought. So I ordered one and its coming tomorrow. One thing that convinced me was a 100 day no quibble return which is great since I have three trips planned between now and December. It also has an inbuilt charger for your phone. So I'm very excited. Maybe I've got the Holy Grail...I will provide an update after my next trip on 15 October

Anyone bought a must have carry on? Or dream about one they'd want?
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

RushmoreAir

Re: Best luggage for the frequent traveler

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:40 am

My Eagle Creek load warrior has lasted ~10 years and ~500k miles and is still going strong. The newer version (linked below) seems to get a few mixed reviews, but I can vouch that mine has been absolutely 100% reliable and will probably last for a while yet.

https://www.rei.com/product/895850/eagl ... -duffel-22
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:12 am

Briggs and Riley Baseline series. Worked for me for 12 years of corporate flying including lots of airline travel and still looks new. A wheel was broken off, they FDX’s a replacement to the hotel.

GF

fbgdavidson

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 am

I'm a Tumi guy.

I've had my black ballistic nylon laptop bag since 2005, that I also used for daily work use, and it's held up amazingly well. The stitching started to get frayed on the strap and it was replaced FOC. Otherwise it looks brand new.

I also have a matching 20" G4 roller bag that has served me well since 2008. Hundreds of flights, all continents and a few cobbled streets. I've valet checked it quite a bit and the only issue I've had is one of the lower side supports started to split so I've patched it up. It's a bit like a Tumi version of a Rimowa dent :D

Away luggage seems to be marketed very heavily and the features do seem quite attractive. I'm yet to hear from any really regular flyers that have used it to see how it holds up.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Georgetown

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:52 am

My Tumi ballistic rollaboard has lasted though 10 years, 2 million miles, nearly 1,000 flights. With the exception of a little bit of fraying around an outer-pocket zipper that was fixed free of charge, it works and looks great. Worth every cent.
Let's go Hoyas!

trijetsonly

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:20 am

steveinbc wrote:
I've probably spent something crazy like $2000 over the past ten years trying to find the perfect piece of carry on luggage. I've had Samsonite, Travelpro, Heys, Swiss Gear, Delsey among others and they've ended up largely being a disappointment. I end up gifting them to my family and friends who are quite happy to take them. The most expensive has been the Travelpro which was and remains the best choice of the mainstream/ not totally crazy price brands.

However I was on Austrian Airlines a couple of weeks ago and their in flight magazine had a seasoned traveler swear that the Aluminum carry on by Away luggage (New York) was the best hed ever bought. So I ordered one and its coming tomorrow. One thing that convinced me was a 100 day no quibble return which is great since I have three trips planned between now and December. It also has an inbuilt charger for your phone. So I'm very excited. Maybe I've got the Holy Grail...I will provide an update after my next trip on 15 October

Anyone bought a must have carry on? Or dream about one they'd want?

Be careful. Most airlines now list luggage with inbuilt chargers as prohibited items. Those inbuilt chargers are usually based on lithium cells that are not allowed in dropped baggage. As long as the cells can be removed and are removed you should be fine but that's kind of dumb.

Back on topic: I'm a Rimowa guy, just for the looks of it. I've gotten Rimowa alu luggage only so far but right now I think about switching to a polycabonate model which is lighter and less prone to dents and scratches.
Happy Landings

OlafW

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:30 am

I've had a Samsonite 2-wheel bag for about ten years now. Don't now the model name, but by today's lineup it seems like a Base Boost or Xblade.I remember that back in the day there was one cheap model which had awful wheels and got a lot of bad reviews for them alone (it almost felt like it had no wheels when you dragged it along). The next up in line, which is the one I got, has much better ones. So far, nothing broke although I carried it around for many business trips by plane, train and car, only one screw at the handle has come a bit loose. Plus, at about 2.2 kg, it's pretty lightweight, leaving much room for luggage.

IAHFLYR

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm

I've had two TravelPro roll-a-boards in the last 18 years, love them. I can pack for a week in a cold climate in them without any problem. Heck my Wife can even take hers for a week trip to Europe and not have any issues with space. Find them to be very durable, good number zipper pockets for stuff like keys, wallet, passport etc., and fits in almost every overhead bin vertically except for the first two rows of the older B737, 738 and 739's that UA has. The newer planes with the larger bins they fit vertically without an issue and also the 22" x 9" size.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

VSMUT

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:37 pm

My favorite for short trips is a duffelbag. Being flexible, it can fit in spaces otherwise inaccessible to your normal rollaboard, such as the last vacant space in a corner of the overhead locker. Lacking a proper lock and looking less conspicuous, I am never asked to gate-check it. It's much easier to bring with you on a bicycle too. Biggest downside is that you have to be more careful with ironed shirts etc., to avoid crumpling them.
It has completely replaced my rollaboard. I still bring my rucksack on every trip for valuable and brittle stuff, and on longer trips I take a full-size suitcase.

Coal

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Tumi or Rimowa.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

N707PA

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:55 am

For luggage that I would have to check, it would have to be Travelpro. Rimowa, Tumi, Hartmann, etc. are just targets for theft at the carousel (in the US).

syvjeff

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Discussing luggage can sometimes be like discussing religion. It’s really a personal thing. I’m going to share some of mine.

I’m a business casual traveler and have two ways to carry on.

1. I use a soft bag - Redoxx Skytrain that is just short of carry on limits. I like it because it can carry more than most roller boards and has back pack straps. Great for long airport walks. There are lower cost options like the Rick Steves back door bag.

2. For more formal packing I have a Tumi 2 Wheeled International. Build like a tank. It’s exacly US3 carry on size. Two wheels definitely give you more room than four. However I heard they plan on discontuing this model.

3. Since this is a personal choice for you, go online and look. My wife got me a Travelon bag that I would not have picked myself to carry my laptop and I’ve grown to really like it. My daughter is using Rick Steves bags and they are durable. When I have to bring practically my whole office with me my Tom Bihn backpack is the best. All of these brands have carry on bags too.

4. Finally- the luggage industry has changed a lot. Tumi is under new ownership. I’ve heard rumors that Rimowa has upped their prices and changed materials since their ownership has changed. Away seems like it’s well built and marketed by the same investors who created Parker-Warby eyeglass and Harry’s shaving brands.

vhtje

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:37 am

Antler. I have had a medium-sized roller case for nearly twenty years. It has been on countless trips and around the world multiple times. During that time it has been through untold rough handling both by myself and baggage handlers. The handle on the top is only now starting to show signs of abuse, but it will see me to Australia and back next month before I replace it.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

dredgy

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 am

Away - bigger carry on with pocket.
https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/bigg ... -on-pocket

I need the pocket since I like to be able to have access to an iPad easily but my mum has the normal carry on without the pocket and it's such a great suit case. Not very common so is easy to spot coming off the carousel, probably the best interior layout of any case I've used. I've never used the Aluminium one, but the plastic is so expandable. I did 3 months around the world - half the suitcase contained clothes, the other half contained a myriad of camera equipment and I still had room to stow 8 bottles of beer/wine as souvenirs.