910A
Topic Author

US Congress: Banned phone calls on planes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 am

As part of the must pass FAA reauthorization bill:

Members of Congress are some of America’s most frequent fliers, so perhaps it is no surprise that even the regulation-wary voted this week to prohibit in-flight voice calls as part of a reauthorization package for the Federal Aviation Administration. The rules codify the will of most consumers and airlines alike.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... a29a232a55

spacecadet

Re: US Congress: Banned phone calls on planes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:00 am

There's a lot to like in this reauthorization bill.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

neomax

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:44 am

I will never understand why people are so hypocritical about talking on planes. People talk in the car, on the bus, on the train, in the office, yet all of a sudden, do it on a plane and you’re the worst person alive.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 am

I’d say the car, the bus, the train, and planes are no place for phone calls. I don’t like hearing people blaring out their personal issues, problems, anger or flirts in public.

Old fashioned I guess, but when I get a phone call in a public location, I hit ignore or walk off to somewhere private.

gf

Newark727

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:51 am

This is the first thing Congress has done that I've approved of in decades

Varsity1

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 am

neomax wrote:
I will never understand why people are so hypocritical about talking on planes. People talk in the car, on the bus, on the train, in the office, yet all of a sudden, do it on a plane and you’re the worst person alive.

On an airplane you are often 10 inches from someone else's face, with no alternatives.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

crownvic

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 am

neomax wrote:

Well lets use our head:
1) If you are in a car, you are more than likely with people you know.
2) Car and Bus - You can get up and move or get off at the next stop.
3) In the office, you can tell the person to shut up.

Do either of #2 or #3 above on a plane and you will either die or you will be classified as an unruly passenger heading to a diversion airport!

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:09 am

neomax wrote:

The attitude reflected in that comment is very typical of people who think it's all about them and that they should have the right to do anything they wish, regardless of how it affects others.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Max Q

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 am

DL747400 wrote:
neomax wrote:

The attitude reflected in that comment is very typical of people who think it's all about them and that they should have the right to do anything they wish, regardless of how it affects others.

Well said

This is a very sound policy, if people
are allowed to use voice calling in
flight it would make for a hellish
experience
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Max Q

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:19 am

neomax wrote:

Yep, you pretty much are
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

GuruJanitor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:11 am

neomax wrote:

As someone who has reguarly commuted via bus, train and plane at various points in my life, no one, and I mean NO ONE is okay with you pulling your phone out for a call. Anyone who does this is instantly the most disliked person in the train car/cabin/bus. There are entire instagram and twitter accounts devoted to shaming people who talk on the phone on public transit. This is probably the first piece of legislation in years that +90% of all Americans would agree with.

LAXintl

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:15 am

Very short sighted imo, especially as voice calls become ever more common on foreign airlines.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

T18

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:18 am

Just throwing this out, I'm more okay with you using your phone on a flight than while driving your car.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

UPlog

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:19 am

It seems to me as we live in an ever more connected world that calls would become the norm.

As a pilot I get to position on overseas airlines regularly and have flown multiple carriers that offer such technologies. I have seen people use their own cell phones and never been bothered nor noted any odd looks by others. Its really a non event in an already white noise filled cabin.

mercure1

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 am

Could be another competitive handicap for U.S airlines.

I guess the question is how many posters have personally experienced this technology?
I have and have not been bothered by people near me in conversation. Honestly if I did not see them holding their mobiles or with ear pieces, I would not have known they were on the phones.
mercure f-wtcc

janders

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 am

Dumb to make a law.

Simply should let the market decide.
Let airlines offer the feature and let market place decide based on consumer action whether its sticks or not.

Each airline can decide on its own if the feature is a benefit or hinderence to their market position.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

smokeybandit

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:16 am

Other interesting things from the bill

-Gives flight attendants a 10-hour rest period between flights, rather than eight hours, from the time their flight touches down until their next takeoff.
-• Bars airlines from bumping a passenger who already has been seated on the airplane.
-The bill would allow the government to shoot down a drone that “is identified as high-risk and a potential target for unlawful unmanned aircraft activity.”
Last edited by smokeybandit on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

smokeybandit

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 am

janders wrote:
Dumb to make a law.

Let airlines offer the feature and let market place decide based on consumer action whether its sticks or not.

Each airline can decide on its own if the feature is a benefit or hinderence to their market position.

The market did decide, hence why it passed.

Redd

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:46 am

smokeybandit wrote:
janders wrote:
Dumb to make a law.

Correct me if I'm missing something, but the market does not pass laws...

rbavfan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:50 am

smokeybandit wrote:

-Gives flight attendants a 10-hour rest period between flights, rather than eight hours, from the time their flight touches down until their next takeoff.
-• Bars airlines from bumping a passenger who already has been seated on the airplane.
-The bill would allow the government to shoot down a drone that “is identified as high-risk and a potential target for unlawful unmanned aircraft activity.”

The wording on bumping after on board needs to be more clear. The way it's been commented on it would block them from removing them, even if they agree to payment to do it. Need to be specific to that. issue as well.

rbavfan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 am

Redd wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
janders wrote:
Dumb to make a law.

Correct me if I'm missing something, but the market does not pass laws...

No. But the "market" bitches enough to congress & congress sometime does something.

smokeybandit

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:53 am

Airlines said they didn't want it. Passengers said they didn't want it.

Makes lobbying easy at that point

kalvado

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:07 am

Ban calls in flight or on a plane?
Calls "honey, we just landed, see you in 15 minutes" are fairly routine and cause little irritation. I am guilty of making some "I am on the train, be there in 20 min. Where do we meet?" calls. No dirty looks.
But once upon a time I was sitting next to a salesman who had phone out at all times. I was ready to start taking notes (to send to his competitor after the flight)

smokeybandit

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:23 am

"We just landed" phone calls don't happen in the air.

TheOldDude

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Thankfully alternate means of communication exist. Instead of making a voice call, one can text. Happens all the time, and fits well for the brief "we just landed" type message.

I suppose that the FAA will have to decide whether FaceTime and the like is a "voice call".

tonystan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:20 pm

DL747400 wrote:
neomax wrote:

Brilliantly said DL. We seem to live in an era of selfishness and vulgarity and the typical “look at me, I’m on my phone talking [email protected]” eejits are the culprits!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

tistpaa727

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Wait a minute...how is John McClane going to get screwed because his wife calls while he is trying to be stealthy? The movie plots that are ruined from this move...

I personally agree with this move - you are trapped when you board and have no recourse. On a bus, in the office, etc. you have options. On a plane - no options.
Don't sweat the little things.

Noshow

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Texting and mailing should keep everybody in the loop without polluting his onboard neighbors noise environment with useless chit chat about nothing. In an airplane seat you cannot move away this is why those idle talkers have to be regulated. Nobody would complain about some short "it's a boy or it's a girl" call for sure.

KentB27

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Unfortunately, people thinking about how their actions affect others seems to be largely absent in society today. It's sad that we even passed a law for this. It is rude to talk on your phone in close proximity to other people. A quick call is no big deal but yapping for more than a couple of minutes is selfish and inconsiderate to others. Unless it is an emergency, I always step away or downright ignore the call if I am in a crowded place where talking on the phone would disturb and annoy people. If people were more considerate of others this law would never have been passed in the first place.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
janders wrote:
Dumb to make a law.

The “market” can’t fine you or put you in jail. Any law is ultimately enforced by violence made legal by the state. The market actor can thrive or go bust.

GF

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:03 pm

janders wrote:
Dumb to make a law. Simply should let the market decide. Let airlines offer the feature and let market place decide based on consumer action whether its sticks or not. Each airline can decide on its own if the feature is a benefit or hinderence to their market position.

Disagree 150%.

Sadly, we live in a world where an increasing number of people are focused on their own wants and needs and show no awareness or concern for how their behavior is impacting anyone else. People from all socio-economic backgrounds people have demonstrated time and time again that they increasingly refuse to police themselves. When society cannot police itself (or adopts a "me too" self-centered attitude and refuses to do so), it is dumber to NOT make a law.

Why put hundreds of thousands of airline crew members in the position of having to become "cell phone police" ? Air travel is already a stressful experience for the vast majority of travelers. Why introduce yet another stress element into the already stressful cabin environment, when you are forced to sit for extended periods of time in close proximity to other passengers? Why allow behavior to take place in the cabin which will only serve as a catalyst for more conflict between passengers? Would you care to place a wager on how many additional inflight diversions are going to occur each year due to fights erupting over inflight cell phone usage?

A single person who doesn't know how to conduct themselves when they are in public should not be allowed to make the flying experience miserable for the dozens of people seated around them.

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:06 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Very short sighted imo, especially as voice calls become ever more common on foreign airlines.

Then that is a very good reason to avoid those foreign carriers who allow voice calls. It would be very helpful if someone could post a list of said carriers for everyone's awareness.

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 pm

UPlog wrote:
It seems to me as we live in an ever more connected world that calls would become the norm.

As a pilot I get to position on overseas airlines regularly and have flown multiple carriers that offer such technologies. I have seen people use their own cell phones and never been bothered nor noted any odd looks by others. Its really a non event in an already white noise filled cabin.

Umm, we are talking about AMERICANS traveling on U.S carriers here................ Nuff said.

ro1960

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:26 pm

"Congress could consider revising its ban in the future to permit calls made with muffling devices or from private booths installed on board”

I wonder how much airlines would charge for the use of phone booths since they would have to be installed where you now have seats. Unless they remove one more toilet or make them even smaller.
:lol:
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

CobaltScar

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:26 pm

People remain on their phones talking during taxi and during safety demo all the time. Not only effecting their own safety, but those around them as they distract and make it harder to hear safety demo. This law will make it easier to enforce. "FAA has made it illegal to have voice calls in a moving aircraft, please comply".

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Can you imagine a 6.5 westbound transcon sitting next to a super loud person making personal calls all flight six inches from your ear. Plane rage would reach a whole new level if this were allowed.

cschleic

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:05 pm

neomax wrote:

Linking calls on planes to cars or a workplace isn't a relevant comparison. The plane is an environment that has characteristics unlike the others. Typical trying to play down the subject by drawing in unrelated topics.

janders wrote:
Dumb to make a law.

The usual "let the market" decide argument. The market can't decide everything through business choices. As was pointed out, if the market - meaning other passengers on the plane - really demonstrate their feelings about it, most of them would end up in jail and on no-fly lists. The market has let its congressional representatives know how they feel and it's being pushed forward through legislation. That IS the market working in this case.

lavalampluva

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:10 pm

If someone is respectful of those around them I don’t have a problem with people using phones on aircraft.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

alberchico

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

That second rule is a direct result of the infamous United incident isn't it ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Bricktop

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't want to sit next to your mindless cellphone call on a plane any more than when you're sitting next to me at a restaurant. I am sick of the obnoxious me-me-me world. If a call could be done on a plane where the person wouldn't be yelling over engine and cabin noise, then maybe, but be respectful of those around you FFS.

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:34 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
If someone is respectful of those around them I don’t have a problem with people using phones on aircraft.

So when that someone is NOT respectful because they don't know how to be respectful, or because they refuse to be respectful, your comment clearly demonstrates the expectation that hundreds of thousands of crew members should be required to serve as "cell phone police." Putting airline staff in that position is UNACCEPTABLE.

Human beings do not have a God-given or Constitutionally-protected right to carry on cell phone calls anywhere, anytime, without restriction.

- Airlines don't want inflight voice calls.
    - Passengers don't want inflight voice calls.
    - The market has spoken.

smithbs

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 pm

I agree that there are many annoying habits of people all around, but I side with those who draw the line whether to make a law about it. Laws mean enforcement, records, fines, jail time, etc. All over cell phone annoyances? Sure, social pressure is fine to apply in these situations. But I don't agree with making cell phone use in the airplane illegal.

Sometimes I wish someone next to me would stop an annoying habit - we've all been there. But I don't wish them to be in jail, having a criminal record and/or paying fines over it.

Posters above have complained about the all-about-me culture, and it certainly annoys me too. But aren't you yourself falling for that all-about-me culture when you think that someone who annoys you should get prison time? And isn't that a dangerous precedent for society?

lavalampluva

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:03 pm

DL747400 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

So when that someone is NOT respectful because they don't know how to be respectful, or because they refuse to be respectful, your comment clearly demonstrates the expectation that hundreds of thousands of crew members should be required to serve as "cell phone police." Putting airline staff in that position is UNACCEPTABLE.

Human beings do not have a God-given or Constitutionally-protected right to carry on cell phone calls anywhere, anytime, without restriction.

- Airlines don't want inflight voice calls.
    - Passengers don't want inflight voice calls.
    - The market has spoken.

I qualified my statement with the word IF. I know that at least in the US this wouldn’t work. Americans are extremely selfish when it comes to what they want to do.

I know this would never work. Just wishful thinking on my part.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

mercure1

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:09 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Then that is a very good reason to avoid those foreign carriers who allow voice calls. It would be very helpful if someone could post a list of said carriers for everyone's awareness.

Well one of the biggest vendors SITA says its Mobile ONAIR product has 24 airline customers with 550 aircraft fitted (as of December 2017)

https://www.sitaonair.aero/products/on- ... ile-onair/

A quick search says among its customers are Aer Lingus, Etihad, Emirates, Malaysian, Turkish, Virgin Atlantic, SAS.
mercure f-wtcc

sixtyseven

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:10 pm

neomax wrote:

Probably mows his lawn at 8am on a Sunday.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

rw774477

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Its a result of these unlimited plans ...

I say allow calls in a secluded area if you REALLY MUST ..... but charging $10 per minute will make them brief

mercure1

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Per June 2018 published consumer survey here is passengers views on the possibility of using cell phones on board in future.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... hone-links

For US, 48% consumers want it to be allowed. Some nations like India and China are 70%+ in favor of inflight phone usage.
mercure f-wtcc

nikeherc

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:18 pm

To me the problem is not that someone uses the phone. An airplane is noisy enough that another conversation isn’t going to bother me. The problem is that people forget that the phone uses radios and amplifiers to transmit the call. People shout like they are trying to be heard 6,000 miles away. If everybody used a headset and spoke in a normal tone of voice there wouldn’t be so much resentment. Also they should keep their calls brief.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

global2

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm

ro1960 wrote:
"Congress could consider revising its ban in the future to permit calls made with muffling devices or from private booths installed on board”

I wonder how much airlines would charge for the use of phone booths since they would have to be installed where you now have seats. Unless they remove one more toilet or make them even smaller.
:lol:

I can also envision some passengers using a lav. as their private phone booth, hogging it for half an hour while other passengers who need to 'go' must wait even longer. Let's just keep the phones shut off for the duration of the flight please!

TWA772LR

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:44 pm

And to think that there used to be payphones on airplanes...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.