CobaltScar

Re: US Congress: Banned phone calls on planes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:17 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Per June 2018 published consumer survey here is passengers views on the possibility of using cell phones on board in future.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... hone-links

For US, 48% consumers want it to be allowed. Some nations like India and China are 70%+ in favor of inflight phone usage.

Different cultures have different tolerances for public behavior. Not surprised that India/China are in favor. I bet in Japan it would be 99.999 percent against cell phone usage in the plane. I know which I prefer.

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
And to think that there used to be payphones on airplanes...

Oh, come on now... If you are truly honest with yourself, you have to admit that the time to which you refer when many commercial airliners had Airphone and Verizon pay phones was back at a time in history when people and society in general were dramatically more civilized. People were much less "me" oriented and generally more concerned about how they conducted themselves in public, how they were perceived by others and how their actions impacted others. That concern is gone. That time is gone and it is never coming back.

From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

DL747400

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm

global2 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
"Congress could consider revising its ban in the future to permit calls made with muffling devices or from private booths installed on board”

I wonder how much airlines would charge for the use of phone booths since they would have to be installed where you now have seats. Unless they remove one more toilet or make them even smaller.
:lol:

I can also envision some passengers using a lav. as their private phone booth, hogging it for half an hour while other passengers who need to 'go' must wait even longer. Let's just keep the phones shut off for the duration of the flight please!

The solution to this potential problem is easy: Put a timer on the aircraft lavatory door locking mechanism. If you are not done with your "business" after 5 minutes, then ......... BING ........ the latch releases and the lavatory door pops open. :shock:

PROBLEM SOLVED :D

Redd

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:09 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Redd wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

The market did decide, hence why it passed.

Correct me if I'm missing something, but the market does not pass laws...

No. But the "market" bitches enough to congress & congress sometime does something.

It might be just me, but I have a hard time imagining people writing their congressman about banning phone calls on planes.

ro1960

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:14 pm

DL747400 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Oh, come on now... If you are truly honest with yourself, you have to admit that the time to which you refer when many commercial airliners had Airphone and Verizon pay phones was back at a time in history when people and society in general were dramatically more civilized. People were much less "me" oriented and generally more concerned about how they conducted themselves in public, how they were perceived by others and how their actions impacted others. That concern is gone. That time is gone and it is never coming back.

It also had to do with the cost of the calls that was prohibitively high. So nobody was making endless small talk calls. They tended to be brief.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

TWA772LR

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:18 am

DL747400 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

That's why the motto of the 80s was "greed is good"? Humans have always been and forever will be self-centered creatures. This is why I say social media is the panacea of mankind, the stuff happening today has always happened in some form throughout history. In fact, id take a guess and say that times today are better than theyve ever been in human history.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Max Q

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:17 am

We could all take a lesson from
Japanese society

They don’t make rules about cell
phone use on public transport,
their culture of privacy and
politeness just expects it

And they adhere to this
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

KentB27

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 pm

smithbs wrote:
Posters above have complained about the all-about-me culture, and it certainly annoys me too. But aren't you yourself falling for that all-about-me culture when you think that someone who annoys you should get prison time? And isn't that a dangerous precedent for society?

I seriously doubt that anybody is calling for prison time as a punishment for this. Only the most serious of convictions result in prison time. Don't be ridiculous. The chances of someone being convicted of a crime for violating this rule are slim to none. You would have to repeatedly refuse to comply with the crew's demands and intentionally be unruly. The assumption that ordinary people would get arrested and convicted of a crime for this is laughable at best.

DL747400

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Max Q wrote:
We could all take a lesson from Japanese society

And they adhere to this

You speak about the Japanese. This entire thread is about banning U.S. citizens pushing the U.S. Congress to ban cell phone use on planes. We are talking about Americans.

PanzerPowner

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 am

But my rights as someone who has diarrhea practically whenever a flight overflies Japan.
DL747400 wrote:
global2 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
"Congress could consider revising its ban in the future to permit calls made with muffling devices or from private booths installed on board”

I wonder how much airlines would charge for the use of phone booths since they would have to be installed where you now have seats. Unless they remove one more toilet or make them even smaller.

I can also envision some passengers using a lav. as their private phone booth, hogging it for half an hour while other passengers who need to 'go' must wait even longer. Let's just keep the phones shut off for the duration of the flight please!

The solution to this potential problem is easy: Put a timer on the aircraft lavatory door locking mechanism. If you are not done with your "business" after 5 minutes, then ......... BING ........ the latch releases and the lavatory door pops open. :shock:

PROBLEM SOLVED :D

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

Max Q

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 am

DL747400 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
We could all take a lesson from Japanese society

And they adhere to this

You speak about the Japanese. This entire thread is about banning U.S. citizens pushing the U.S. Congress to ban cell phone use on planes. We are talking about Americans.

You’re missing the point

The Japanese still have a culture
that values civility and respect for
others

These values just don’t exist in
America any more so laws have
to be imposed mandating reasonable
behavior
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

bgm

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:36 am

Good.

Most Americans seem to get off on the sound of their own voices, prattling away about inane crap loudly on their phones. Case in point: heard a guy recently on a flight just before departure announcing to the whole plane in graphic detail his trials and tribulations with explosive diarrhea that morning. :crazy:
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]