PatrickZ80
Topic Author

Multi-airport cities: Best and worst airport-to-airport connections

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 pm

A lot of cities got more than one airport, but how convenient or inconvenient it is to get from one airport to another varies per city. Some cities offer a one-seat ride between them, others take a lot of connections.

The best I've personally experienced is Bangkok, there's a dedicated bus service between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang that runs frequently and is free as long as you got a ticket for a flight from the other airport (you have to show this to the driver). Worst would be London, it can be a real pain in the ass to get from one London airport to another.

eastafspot

Re: Multi-airport cities: Best and worst airport-to-airport connections

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Honestly, I tend to avoid at all cost any trip involving an ORY <-> CDG transfer, but if there is no other choice or fare difference too steep, the former Les Cars AIR FRANCE now called "Le Bus Direct" is totally free of charge for Flying Blue Elite Plus members (Gold + Platinum), which is a nice perk worth €21, regardless of the carriers involved.

At Nairobi in Kenya, there is only one option from/to NBO, to/from Nairobi's second airport Wilson (WIL): taxi or Uber ;)
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Air Uganda, Kenya Airways and Rwandair...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm

I've always wondered if we will ever see an airside transfer between airports in a city. To me it seems easy, using a train that never stops on the way. Or it could even stop at a downtown location that has it's own security line. This of course combined with the ability to check luggage through, it could be transported on the same train but you never notice because it's in a separate car. The train could even have a sealed section that is outside of customs / immigration. Kind of like the terminal trains that exist in many places, but with a longer ride. This would seamlessly link two airports into one. Why is it not happening anywhere?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

masgniw

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Does anyone know the percent of layovers that happen at different airports in the same city? I'm guessing this only occurs to a tiny, perhaps microscopic, number of travelers.

aklrno

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:08 am

Occasionally I have to fly long haul out of SFO, and I start my trip at RNO. Since the RNO-SFO 30 minute flights can often have 3 hour delays due to weather, I may instead fly to OAK and take BART airport to airport. Its not one seat (3 actually) but it is one ticket. The air train from OAK to the BART station is about 10 minutes and drops you inside the Coliseum Bart Station.
There is a train change (I think at Balboa) that is made on the same platform. Step off the first train and then step on to the next one usually. About 90 minutes, but since OAK is pretty reliable and so is BART, I'd rather spend 90 minutes on Bart then have to plan a 3-5 layover at SFO. Inevitably when I give myself 4 or 5 hours at SFO everything is on time, If I try the connection that UA recommends they end up rebooking me on some terrible substitution.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Speaking solely on the United States, there's not a single airport-to-airport connection I can think of between commercial facilities within the same metropolitan area:

These are the metropolitan areas with more than one commercial airport within its general "gravity". Airports that market themselves as "alternatives to" airports, like Milwaukee as Chicago's third commercial airport, are excluded.

THE BAY AREA: Nothing specific between SFO, OAK, and SJC except for public transport as discussed (and nothing from MRY or STS).

LOS ANGELES: Step outside the airport boundaries and you are at the mercy of LA traffic. No trains, no light rail, just buses.

SAN DIEGO: Commercial service at CLD is just beginning (again), it will be entirely O&D.

TEXAS: Both drives from DFW to DAL and IAH and HOU are subject to the whims of the traffic gods, and the likelihood of transfers between any of those airports is more remote than discovering the secret to faster-than-light travel by tomorrow.

CHICAGO: Again, mostly unheard, and the airports are very distant from each other, but possible via Orange and Blue Line, scheduled at 1 hour, 14 minutes via the Loop.

FLORIDA: Miami to Fort Lauderdale to PBI - I don't have any information on this, but is this even done anymore?

DC: From BWI to DCA is actually straightforward: Amtrak to Union Station and a quick Metro trip to DCA. IAD, on the other hand, might as well be in West Virginia in terms of connecting to/from this airport to another airport.

NYC: There have been times that buses have run between the airports, but a lot of that is stand-by for IROPS situations. Otherwise, you're on your own. And this is the ONLY place I have ever seen a U.S. airline offer a "transfer between airports on your own" connection.

IADCA

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Speaking solely on the United States, there's not a single airport-to-airport connection I can think of between commercial facilities within the same metropolitan area:

These are the metropolitan areas with more than one commercial airport within its general "gravity". Airports that market themselves as "alternatives to" airports, like Milwaukee as Chicago's third commercial airport, are excluded.

THE BAY AREA: Nothing specific between SFO, OAK, and SJC except for public transport as discussed (and nothing from MRY or STS).

LOS ANGELES: Step outside the airport boundaries and you are at the mercy of LA traffic. No trains, no light rail, just buses.

SAN DIEGO: Commercial service at CLD is just beginning (again), it will be entirely O&D.

TEXAS: Both drives from DFW to DAL and IAH and HOU are subject to the whims of the traffic gods, and the likelihood of transfers between any of those airports is more remote than discovering the secret to faster-than-light travel by tomorrow.

CHICAGO: Again, mostly unheard, and the airports are very distant from each other, but possible via Orange and Blue Line, scheduled at 1 hour, 14 minutes via the Loop.

FLORIDA: Miami to Fort Lauderdale to PBI - I don't have any information on this, but is this even done anymore?

DC: From BWI to DCA is actually straightforward: Amtrak to Union Station and a quick Metro trip to DCA. IAD, on the other hand, might as well be in West Virginia in terms of connecting to/from this airport to another airport.

NYC: There have been times that buses have run between the airports, but a lot of that is stand-by for IROPS situations. Otherwise, you're on your own. And this is the ONLY place I have ever seen a U.S. airline offer a "transfer between airports on your own" connection.

For the Bay Area, I'd add that depending on Caltrain timing, SFO to SJC is actually easier than OAK to SFO. A quick bus ride on either end but otherwise just a single seat train ride on a train that doesn't reek of weed.

In DC, you can do DCA to IAD via a single connection - just take the Metro to either L'Enfant (Yellow) or Rosslyn (Blue) and then catch the 5A. It's not always convenient, but if the times work you're not really worse off than DCA to BWI, which involves a train change on the Metro that can also delay you no matter which route you take (via yellow, change at Gallery Place; blue, change at Metro Center).

Lingon

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Never had to change between airports, but I imagine Moscow SVO-DME would be among the worst. Or SVO-ZIA.

evank516

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Getting from JFK to LGA or vice versa can be a complete nightmare. Public transit options are no good and roads are constantly clogged (I'm looking at you, Van Wyck). What looks like a 20 minute drive can really be an hour or so.

masi1157

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Honestly, I tend to avoid at all cost [...] but if there is no other choice or fare difference too steep

Ah, understood. You would pay any price as long as it is not too high. Good strategy! :bigthumbsup:

Gruß, masi1157
502 different segments on 98 airlines to 209 airports in 55 countries

zakuivcustom

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Let see...

I'll use East Asia as my basis:
Seoul (GMP/ICN): Actually a fairly straightforward transfer as the A'REX train (Only the slower "Commuter" Train, though) stops at GMP, taking 37 mins. If only the Express Train stops at GMP also, that would have been even better. I would put Seoul on top of my list.
Tokyo (HND/NRT): Connected by both Limousine Bus or a single Train Ride on the "Skyaccess" Line, both taking about 1.5hrs. Not quick (But that's mainly due to NRT being so far from Central Tokyo), but straightforward.
Osaka (ITM/KIX/UKB): KIX and ITM are connected with a bus (Not free, though), taking about 1.5hr, while a high speed ferry connect KIX with UKB, taking 30 mins. Again, not exactly fast, but that's b/c KIX is pretty far away from central Osaka.
Taipei (TPE/TSA): Connected by bus, about 50 mins-1 hr. Like Tokyo and Osaka, the time is so long mainly b/c TPE is somewhat away from central Taipei.
Shanghai (PVG/SHA): Either single Subway line (Line 2, although one need to do a cross-platform train change) or direct bus, both taking forever (~2 hr). Actually a fairly commonly used transfer, although for HSR departing at Shanghai Hongqiao Station next to SHA rather than inter-airport. Again, only takes forever b/c PVG is simply VERY far from central Shanghai, and Hongqiao for a "in city" airport is also not close to central Shanghai, either, at least compare to HND or ITM or TSA.

Side note - HKG to/from SZX, connected by a ferry between Skypier in HKG and Fuyong Pier in Shenzhen, without needing to enter Hong Kong, and with checked luggage going all the way to Shenzhen Airport (I believe you still have to re-check your luggage at Shenzhen Airport, though; going from SZX to HKG you can checked the luggage at Fuyong Pier IIRC). It's actually easier to get from HKG (the airport) to SZX than Hong Kong proper to SZX anyway.

Another of note is Paris, with Le Bus Direct Line 3 between CDG and ORY, taking about 1 hr 15 mins.

As for "worst", I will say NYC. Seriously, JFK and LGA are only 11mi apart, but the time it takes to get between the two is more comparable to some of the airports above which are 20-30mi apart (if not more).

T18

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 pm

I can think of one airport to airport connection in the US but its worthless. St Louis has metro link from Lambert to Mid-America but no-one is flying out of BLV except Allegiant and the air force as, it is also Scott AFB. Made even more pointless as STL is not a hub anyway so very few flyers are connection for anything here. NYC really needs a good JFK-LGA-EWR connection, Washoington could use something from IAD-DCA.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Cubsrule

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 am

It’s almost worthless, but YYZ to YTZ actually isn’t bad. UPExpress to Union Station and then the free bus or a ~15 minute walk to YTZ. It’s about 45 minutes landslide to landside.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

SCQ83

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 am

I self-connected once between MXP and BGY. There is a dedicated bus that does not go through Milan (I recall they stopped somewhere, maybe Monza?). So it is actually MXP-Monza-BGY serving the residents of Monza for both airports. Quite smart.

Yet the trek is quite long and expensive and there are few daily frequencies. And obviously driving all the time around Milan metropolitan area, the traffic was quite horrendous. Otherwise there would be always the option to change in Milano Centrale.

smallvoyageur

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Worst would be London, it can be a real pain in the ass to get from one London airport to another.

Little tip Patrick, some of the lines of National Express coaches serve between airports, especially between the LCC and ordinary airports say LLA, STN, LHR and LGW. This is more for people going to the airport then moving between airports, such as 787 From Cambridge to Gatwick, actually goes to Stansted, Heathrow and Gatwick as the bus go to Gatwick. ;)

SRQKEF

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Worst would be London, it can be a real pain in the ass to get from one London airport to another.

Little tip Patrick, some of the lines of National Express coaches serve between airports, especially between the LCC and ordinary airports say LLA, STN, LHR and LGW. This is more for people going to the airport then moving between airports, such as 787 From Cambridge to Gatwick, actually goes to Stansted, Heathrow and Gatwick as the bus go to Gatwick. ;)

Lulea, Sweden? :scratchchin:
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Jshank83

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm

T18 wrote:
I can think of one airport to airport connection in the US but its worthless. St Louis has metro link from Lambert to Mid-America but no-one is flying out of BLV except Allegiant and the air force as, it is also Scott AFB. Made even more pointless as STL is not a hub anyway so very few flyers are connection for anything here. NYC really needs a good JFK-LGA-EWR connection, Washoington could use something from IAD-DCA.

MetroLink doesn’t go all the way to BLV anyway. STL has a fair amount of connections now (southwest is over 20% connecting, might be close to 30% now) but they aren’t going to BLV for flights from STL as you mention.

smallvoyageur

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:49 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Lulea, Sweden? :scratchchin:

Whoops, I meant LTN. :lol:

spacecadet

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm

evank516 wrote:
Getting from JFK to LGA or vice versa can be a complete nightmare. Public transit options are no good and roads are constantly clogged (I'm looking at you, Van Wyck). What looks like a 20 minute drive can really be an hour or so.

Right now, yes, and probably for the last few years. But I've lived here a lot longer than that and it's not "normally" that way. And hopefully, when all the construction is done on both the Van Wyck and LGA, it'll be back to normal again.

It really *should* be a 10 minute ride, and at certain times it still is, even today. But I hope that when everything's done, it is again at all times of day.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

evank516

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm

spacecadet wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Right now, yes, and probably for the last few years. But I've lived here a lot longer than that and it's not "normally" that way. And hopefully, when all the construction is done on both the Van Wyck and LGA, it'll be back to normal again.

It really *should* be a 10 minute ride, and at certain times it still is, even today. But I hope that when everything's done, it is again at all times of day.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm born and raised here as well with a large gap for the 2000's (but I was still back and forth). Let's face it, the Throggs Neck Bridge has been under construction since before I was born, so we're already knocking on 30 years there. I'm not betting on any construction on the Van Wyck being done any time soon. LGA maybe, but it was a nightmare before the LGA construction began.
Last edited by evank516 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T18

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
T18 wrote:

MetroLink doesn’t go all the way to BLV anyway. STL has a fair amount of connections now (southwest is over 20% connecting, might be close to 30% now) but they aren’t going to BLV for flights from STL as you mention.

Someone had told me you could take metro to Mid-Am but it does look like its just the AFB side. Add that to the reasons Mid-America Airport is pointless I guess.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

jetwet1

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Not even close, I've done LHR-LGW more times than I could count, very easy on the national express service, except of course when someone has managed to close the M25.....I also did STN-LGW a few times when MaxJet was flying, not to bad as long as you didn't have large suitcases.

LupineChemist

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 pm

I've done a LTN-LHR connection with the mrs. and found a one way car hire that was cheaper than two tickets on the national express bus.

Also not particularly hard logistically but BKK - DMK has a free bus if you have a ticket at the other airport but Bangkok traffic is something else. Though it will be a lot better once the BTS extension is up and running.

FromCDGtoSYD

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:34 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Seoul (GMP/ICN): Actually a fairly straightforward transfer as the A'REX train (Only the slower "Commuter" Train, though) stops at GMP, taking 37 mins. If only the Express Train stops at GMP also, that would have been even better. I would put Seoul on top of my list.

The express train used to call at Gimpo but they realized people weren't paying the premium to shave off 5 mins, and it was also affecting the duration of the trip from Seoul station to Incheon.

You can also take the KAL/Asiana limousines that will drop you off infront of your respective terminal. If you fly one of the two carriers you even get a discount (used to be free). Takes about as much time as the train (subject to traffic of course).

Didn't know about the free BKK DMK shuttle. Last time I took a grab and it was the worst thing even. Traffic just outside of BKK and the gauntlet into DMK, full of Grabs and Taxis... terrible experience.

L410Turbolet

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

I apologize for slightly off-topic post but it's not worth starting a whole new thread for just one question.
I am looking at a BA itinerary: PRG-LHR/LGW-MCO (all on one ticket).
There is 3:15 hours allocated for the Heathrow to Gatwick transfer.
Is it manageable... on Monday morning?
What if the inbound flight from PRG is late and/or I get stuck in the traffic?
If I miss the connecting flight due to one or both reasons above, is it treated as a no-show or is it still BA's job to reroute me to MCO?

PatrickZ80
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:24 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:

Short answer, no. Certainly during rush hour you just won't make it. Well, you might if you're lucky but I wouldn't bet on it.

A333MSPtoAMS

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:03 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
I apologize for slightly off-topic post but it's not worth starting a whole new thread for just one question.
I am looking at a BA itinerary: PRG-LHR/LGW-MCO (all on one ticket).
What if the inbound flight from PRG is late and/or I get stuck in the traffic?
If I miss the connecting flight due to one or both reasons above, is it treated as a no-show or is it still BA's job to reroute me to MCO?

I would be very hesitant to say yes by public transport. You might just get to the airport as your flight is boarding. But you *might* be ok if your flight is on time and you take a taxi or ride share. Generally it's 45-60 minutes per car between the two airports.

Please review this page regarding transfer between airports by British Airways. They recommend a minimum of 3 hours time between flights. Please note you will need to pick up any luggage and recheck it at the other airport.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/in ... onnections

I can't respond to the rest of your question about if you miss connect. I would suspect they would see you were doing a transfer and reebok you on the next available flight.
As of Sept 2018 I've flown 404,800 miles on 242 flights on 47 airplane types with 54 airlines traveling thru 96 airports in 42 countries. I've visited 58 countries with 1 more this year.
http://globe-trekking.com/vg/en

spacecadet

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:23 pm

evank516 wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm born and raised here as well with a large gap for the 2000's (but I was still back and forth). Let's face it, the Throggs Neck Bridge has been under construction since before I was born, so we're already knocking on 30 years there. I'm not betting on any construction on the Van Wyck being done any time soon. LGA maybe, but it was a nightmare before the LGA construction began.

Road construction here does seem to take a ridiculous amount of time. But I can at least see progress being made on the Van Wyck; the bottleneck has at least moved up to the ramp leading to the GCP (which is currently two narrow lanes with no shoulder, forcing everyone to slow down). Supposedly the entire Kew Gardens Interchange project is going to be finished in 2021. We'll see.

I used to commute to work every day from just past JFK on the Southern State Parkway to Manhattan, which took me past JFK, up the Van Wyck and past LGA before heading back down the BQE. Before the Van Wyck construction began, it was a consistent 10 minutes between both airports, every day. I'm sure there are even posts from me here from that time period talking about how quick it was. As soon as that Kew Gardens Interchange construction began, it became a total mess. I had to even change my commute to take the Cross Island instead of the Van Wyck, even though that's much longer by distance. I definitely think it's the KGI project, more than the LGA construction, that's the problem. But I know that even if they finished the KGI project, things will not be back to normal until LGA is finished too.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ojjunior

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:51 pm

GRU-CGH are pretty well connected with paid bus services about 3x cheaper than cab and waaaay faster once buses can use special traffic lanes that cars can't. However GRU is 24/7 and CGH isn't so between 12AM and 6AM services are pretty rare and frequencies varies according the day.

Back in 90's there were regular turboprop flights CGH-GRU-CGH once or twice a day with the defunct Passaredo and Trip Airlines, just memories now.

cedars747

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Transfer between airports in Buenos Aires (Aeroparque Jorge Newbery and Ezeiza) is not simple.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

RJNUT

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:44 am

I took Blue Line to Orange Line last Fall from ORD-MDW.. UA Express and AM Eagle were starting there mid to late afternoon antics, so I "high-tailed" it to MDW for WN to MCI. It was mid -week rush hour and it took forever but worth it!

timpdx

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:30 am

I've done LTN-LGW. That trip along the M25 will give even this Los Angeles native pause. It's a serious hike on the National Express bus. I do not wish to repeat that connection ever. FR to DY.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

smallmj

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm

I was once considering a trip with an LGA-JFK transfer. After looking at the logistics I chose a different routing. What a mess.

canmau

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Istanbul has got to be one of the most problematic locations should you wish to transfer airports. While it is technically possible to get near SAW from IST by public transport, it would require 2 metro line changes and then transfer onto a taxi or bus at the end of the line, taking at least 2.5 hours. The traffic, considering one needs to get across from the European to the Asian side, is horrendous should you attempt to take a bus (with a transfer in the equivalent of downtown Istanbul) or a taxi. If it you leave IST at 3am, you could get away with little over an hour without the traffic. If you get stuck in rush-hour, it's a guaranteed minimum of 3 hours.