Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aic97
Topic Author

Future Norwegian Long Haul flights

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm

What destinations do you guys think NORWEGIAN LONG Haul could be adding in the near future?

a350lover

Re: Future Norwegian Long Haul flights

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Rio seemed to be the most inmediate addition to the LGW network after they drop SIN from January next year. Hasn’t opened for reservations yet.

One contact said recently “no more destinations are expected to be added” until all the RR issues with the engines are 100% sorted out. They don’t want to keep the rate of wetlease that they ve been needing lately, not only for the costs that provokes, but also for the bad image which that gives the airline often needing to accommodate pax onboard old planes when they are expecting a brand-new 787

Bigant0408

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 pm

I know I mentioned this in another thread but for USA they mentioned earlier in the year DTW, PHL, MSP as possible destinations from LGW once they receive the A321LR. Overall I thinking they might tap a lot of Eastern European cities connecting to LGW like Prague and Budapest just to make a few

axiom

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 pm

LGW-TPA, ARN-MCO and FCO-FLL start later this month. FLL-MAD begins in March. I believe these are their only upcoming LH flights open for booking.

tcaeyx

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:24 pm

LAX-MXP was announced a couple months back, but they've since retracted these plans. I'd imagine it is still in the cards.

Bogof7478

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I’d like to see them attack traditionally expensive regions from europe- south america, south africa, japan etc.

believeinflight

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Also start flying to India - not just BOM and DEL, but also secondary cities like Hyderabad and Bangalore - with the demand and cheap fares, I do see this happening in the near future.

Spruill7716

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 pm

MCI,CHM,JAX-LGW. The top three unserved markets in the US for transatlantic flights. I think that the ultra low cost option will the first to enter the transatlantic market in JAX.

uconn99

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Spruill7716 wrote:
MCI,CHM,JAX-LGW. The top three unserved markets in the US for transatlantic flights. I think that the ultra low cost option will the first to enter the transatlantic market in JAX.

Does anyone have information on how many people travel from JAX to Europe daily? I would be surprised if JAX received a transatlantic flight anytime soon, is there enough biz travel and wealthy households in the JAX metro to support such a flight?

I would think with the amount of flights on the short hop JAX-ATL alone would be convenient enough. Its not like 400 people are flying JAX-LON to justify such a flight, most will have to connect state side or in London/Dublin anyway to get to their destination. Plus MCO is about a 2-2.5 hour drive anyway correct?

L0VE2FLY

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 pm

SAN, if not LGW 787 nonstop, something like CDG/ORY/AMS-YUL-SAN with the 737/A321LR, which would make them the only airline serving Paris and/or Amsterdam direct and Montreal nonstop.

dcajet

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 am

Intra-Americas routes with A321NEO LR based in Argentina, most likely to Ft Lauderdale, beginning Q4 2019.

Cunard

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 am

I've always been rather surprised that Norwegian have never started LGW to BWI as I always imagined that this route would have been announced long before the likes of Austin and Tampa.

SkyVoice

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 am

LGW-CVG . . . Gatwick was Delta's original TATL destination from Cincinnati. The demand for this route is still there. If Delta does not want to serve this route, why not let Norwegian LH have a crack at it?

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:14 am

Cunard wrote:
I've always been rather surprised that Norwegian have never started LGW to BWI as I always imagined that this route would have been announced long before the likes of Austin and Tampa.

I believe they flew that route in the past, but it didn't live up to their expectations. They might start it again in the future with the A321LR, but the 787 was too much for it.

In general, I can see them adding more routes from their existing destinations. For example Seattle is currently only flown from Gatwick, but they just might add Copenhagen - Seattle or Barcelona - Seattle.

Spruill7716

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:16 am

uconn99 wrote:
Spruill7716 wrote:

Does anyone have information on how many people travel from JAX to Europe daily? I would be surprised if JAX received a transatlantic flight anytime soon, is there enough biz travel and wealthy households in the JAX metro to support such a flight?

I would think with the amount of flights on the short hop JAX-ATL alone would be convenient enough. Its not like 400 people are flying JAX-LON to justify such a flight, most will have to connect state side or in London/Dublin anyway to get to their destination. Plus MCO is about a 2-2.5 hour drive anyway correct?

Travel Weekly reports that JAX-Europe yielded 93,311 between Sept. 2016-Aug.2017. which averages to 262 per day. With the right marketing, and tourism from both sides of the route, I think the flight could easily reach 400 per day. Jacksonville is also a fairly large business center. The Financial Times recognized JAX as one of the world's two emerging global banking and finance powerhouses. It's home to one of the three Mayo Clinics in the world and one of six MD Anderson partnerships in the U.S. JAX also has one of the biggest logistics, IT, manufacturing, and aerospace industries in the country, along with an extremely heavy military presence. One of the largest US Naval Bases in the world is in Mayport. Jacksonville has fairly large European population, especially Bosnians. Here's an article about it: https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20110423/NEWS/801252960. Then of course you have your typical tourist attractions, like the beach, St.Augustine (the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement within the borders of the continental United States.) , the Jacksonville Jaguars (who play an annual game in London, and have a surprisingly large fan base there), and so on. I really do believe that a seasonal long haul flight like Condor's FRA-MSY or Norwegian's MCO-LGW would be viable in JAX.

a350lover

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 am

Any future route from USA, other than the current offer, I can only see it happening to LGW. Thus, in general terms, I can't picture Norwegian adding much more to Europe as they did lately (MAD, AMS, FCO, BCN...). They should stick to LGW & Scandinavia and create a good network to feed the TATL business. Hopefully they find the right formula, and the oil does not rise a lot.

LAX772LR

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:51 am

Cunard wrote:
LGW to BWI as I always imagined that this route would have been announced long before the likes of Austin and Tampa.

Though no idea why, considering that AUS in just 4yrs has grown into a larger market to LON than BWI as a standalone.

Hell, AUS-LON is already larger than (in terms of nonstop pax) than SAN-LON, MSP-LON, and DTW-LON.

JakubH

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 am

I could see them experimenting with Prague. I will not be surprised if PRG-LAX, PRG-YVR and PRG-ORD become overnight hits!

mooseofspruce

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 am

If they ever get the Siberian overflight rights (whether by the Swedish AOC or otherwise), look out HKG, NRT, or elsewhere in East Asia.

I wonder if they'll ever start CPT or DUR? Bjorn Kjos mentioned these destinations but it's been a while since then.

DY has previously been interviewed to start an A321LR base at DUS, but since then AB went bust and LH/EW picked up some of the pieces, honestly not sure if even then they can start there. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised to see DUB become a larger and mixed MAX/A321LR transatlantic base, but without onward transfer flights or a LON-size O/D to support it and with EI there I'm questioning the viability of a larger base.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

I believe they flew that route in the past, but it didn't live up to their expectations. They might start it again in the future with the A321LR, but the 787 was too much for it.

In general, I can see them adding more routes from their existing destinations. For example Seattle is currently only flown from Gatwick, but they just might add Copenhagen - Seattle or Barcelona - Seattle.

You're probably thinking of DY's FDF/PTP services from BWI; I don't believe they've ever had scheduled transatlantic 787 service but some users have noted BWI officials had been trying to add them to the selection.

tcaeyx wrote:
LAX-MXP was announced a couple months back, but they've since retracted these plans. I'd imagine it is still in the cards.

Correct, one of several casualties (severity varying) from the RR engine troubles. Last word on LAX-MXP was that it was suspended to summer 2019.

LupineChemist

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 am

VCV? :duck:

QuawerAir

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:09 am

On lentoposti.fi (in Finnish), there is a picture of the CEO Bjørn Kjos introducing possible future long-haul network to be operated with Boeing 737 MAX 8. The map shows that Norwegian plans to launch flights to destinations such as Fortaleza, Natal, Recife, Salvador, Accra, Lagos, Muscat, Karachi, Lahore, Delhi, Almaty, Ürumqi and Ulaanbaatar. According to talouselämä.fi, Norwegian plans to launch long-haul flights from HEL within next two years. So, future long-haul flights might be to/from these destinations.

a350lover

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am

Certainly LGW-South Africa (CPT was mentioned) is a route with potential. Maybe Durban or Johannesburg if they want to play a role in business.

TC957

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 am

The Norwegian situation with Siberian overfly rights is one to watch. If they get the permission, I'd expect LGW - NRT to be followed pretty soon followed by other Scandinavian points to NRT also.

a350lover

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 am

TC957 wrote:
The Norwegian situation with Siberian overfly rights is one to watch. If they get the permission, I'd expect LGW - NRT to be followed pretty soon followed by other Scandinavian points to NRT also.

Are there any updates on this?

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:43 pm

a350lover wrote:
Certainly LGW-South Africa (CPT was mentioned) is a route with potential. Maybe Durban or Johannesburg if they want to play a role in business.

True, but they're not the only one seeing this potential. London - South Africa is quite a busy market with a lot of competition.

Instead they might start for example Copenhagen - Cape Town which is entirely unserved. They'd have the whole market to themselves instead of having to share it with others. I know, the market between Copenhagen and South Africa is smaller than the market between London and South Africa. However what market share will they be able to achieve on the London market? Let's say 20%. Then you get the question what is more, 20% of London or 100% of Copenhagen.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Spruill7716 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
Spruill7716 wrote:

Travel Weekly reports that JAX-Europe yielded 93,311 between Sept. 2016-Aug.2017. which averages to 262 per day. With the right marketing, and tourism from both sides of the route, I think the flight could easily reach 400 per day. Jacksonville is also a fairly large business center. The Financial Times recognized JAX as one of the world's two emerging global banking and finance powerhouses. It's home to one of the three Mayo Clinics in the world and one of six MD Anderson partnerships in the U.S. JAX also has one of the biggest logistics, IT, manufacturing, and aerospace industries in the country, along with an extremely heavy military presence. One of the largest US Naval Bases in the world is in Mayport. Jacksonville has fairly large European population, especially Bosnians. Here's an article about it: https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20110423/NEWS/801252960. Then of course you have your typical tourist attractions, like the beach, St.Augustine (the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement within the borders of the continental United States.) , the Jacksonville Jaguars (who play an annual game in London, and have a surprisingly large fan base there), and so on. I really do believe that a seasonal long haul flight like Condor's FRA-MSY or Norwegian's MCO-LGW would be viable in JAX.

Kjos has mentioned Memphis a couple of times over the years

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-New ... -US-cities

There is this from Travel Weekly as well.

But aviation analyst Mike Boyd of Boyd Group International in Denver predicted the trend will only grow stronger.

"The big eye-opener is that Sacramento came out and said they are going to try to get Europe service," Boyd said. "Five years ago, that would have been cause for a drug test. Now it's a valid objective."

Legacy European carriers such as BA and Air France, Boyd said, need to expand their North American networks in order to increase their feeds through connecting hubs London Heathrow and Paris Charles de Gaulle.

Midsize U.S. cities with strong financial or industrial sectors, as well as cities like Kansas City and New Orleans, which serve large, multistate, drive-in catchment areas, are especially desirable. Boyd predicted that Columbus, Memphis, San Antonio and Sacramento, Calif., will be among the next markets to get their first nonstops to Europe. And even smaller markets, like Grand Rapids, Mich., and Sarasota, Fla., could see seasonal nonstops to Europe.

Meanwhile, Boyd said he expects that Cincinnati will get a BA flight to London in the next two years. The city is the home of Procter & Gamble, its airport already offers service to Paris and it will soon have Iceland service. Kansas City, he said, is likely to get additional Europe flights.

Memphis has quite a bit of upside on possible Euro tourism travel, particularly on the music and food side of things. Plus, you have the continued growth of River cruising and Memphos is a major start/stop point for those. Meanwhile a direct flight , particularly on an LCC bird, could attract passengers from nearby that otherwise would just connect from the nearest airport, like Little Rock and Jackson MS, even Birmingham AL.
I would highly question year round service but a couple of events, some relating to Elvis, take place in the off season in and around Memphis. Memphis has a burgeoning Oct Music fest that Bookends the Memphis on May Music Fest and the Johhny Cash event across the river in Arkansas happens in Oct as well.

BA going daily from Nashville shows there could be something there.
Last edited by WaywardMemphian on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nascar1

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Next step for Norwegian should be launch routes from EZE such as BCN or MAD.

LUKAS10

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
On lentoposti.fi (in Finnish), there is a picture of the CEO Bjørn Kjos introducing possible future long-haul network to be operated with Boeing 737 MAX 8. The map shows that Norwegian plans to launch flights to destinations such as Fortaleza, Natal, Recife, Salvador, Accra, Lagos, Muscat, Karachi, Lahore, Delhi, Almaty, Ürumqi and Ulaanbaatar. According to talouselämä.fi, Norwegian plans to launch long-haul flights from HEL within next two years. So, future long-haul flights might be to/from these destinations.

When I look at the map it feels like Norwegian wants to be everywhere and for everyone, but it may lead to being nowhere and for no one. Some of those connections make absolutely no sense and scream 'IT WON'T MAKE MONEY'. I understand the intention of connecting global cities across the Atlantic but I don't believe they'll ever make something like 'ARN-ULN' work. They should rather focus on their current bases in Western Europe/USA and stop experimenting with connecting all dots at any cost.

by738

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Could EDI - Florida on 787 work or EDI- YHM Toronto summer only?

Aic97
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm

by738 wrote:
Could EDI - Florida on 787 work or EDI- YHM Toronto summer only?

EDI is not a very big market, but I think toronto should work, even year round.

dcajet

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 pm

nascar1 wrote:
Next step for Norwegian should be launch routes from EZE such as BCN or MAD.

It appears they intend to first launch long haul with the A321NEO LR first, around Q4 2019. 787 flying would come after that.

LetsGoOutside

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 pm

What will happen to Norwegian's Gatwick flights after Brexit? I understand the flights are operated by Norwegian UK but isn't it a subsidiary of a non-UK entity? If so, before open sky agreements, the US always looked at the ultimate owner to determine an airline's nationality (for instance, before the transatlantic open sky agreement, LH could not have flown LHR-JFK even if they set up a UK-certificated subsidiary for this purpose: the US would have deemed the sub a German airline). I think I read somewhere the UK will need to secure a new air traffic agreement from the US after Brexit since current flights are under the umbrella of the EU-US open-sky. Is it clear that non-UK airline (e.g. Norwegian) would be able to fly UK-US under this new authority?

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:25 pm

LetsGoOutside wrote:
What will happen to Norwegian's Gatwick flights after Brexit? I understand the flights are operated by Norwegian UK but isn't it a subsidiary of a non-UK entity? If so, before open sky agreements, the US always looked at the ultimate owner to determine an airline's nationality (for instance, before the transatlantic open sky agreement, LH could not have flown LHR-JFK even if they set up a UK-certificated subsidiary for this purpose: the US would have deemed the sub a German airline). I think I read somewhere the UK will need to secure a new air traffic agreement from the US after Brexit since current flights are under the umbrella of the EU-US open-sky. Is it clear that non-UK airline (e.g. Norwegian) would be able to fly UK-US under this new authority?

This is all unclear, nothing has been decided yet. It could turn out any possible way, nobody knows for sure.

baje427

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 pm

I would think some Caribbean destinations for the winter months would work LGW-BGI LGW-MBJ for example.