xdlx
Topic Author

Around the World Route

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Is it even possible to consider a RTW route like the ones enjoyed by TW & PAA in the late 60's early 70's?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: REMOVED ALL CAPS FROM TITLE

Gonzalo

Re: AROUND THE WORLD ROUTE

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 pm

A couple of years ago I saw an unusual visitor parked on the ramp here in Antofagasta. I asked here in the forums, with the reg number, in case someone knew something about it.
Someone answered my question and the aircraft was a specially configured aircraft with only about 65 or 70 seats, IIRC it was a Boeing 737-800. It was a European charter company, and they were doing a Trip all around the world. They were coming from some place in Brazil, and after Antofagasta they continued to Easter Island, then Hawaii.
So, to answer your question, there are around the world trips, but only in charter mode and, probably, at a very high ticket price for the passengers.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

theobcman

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Dont think it would happen now due costs (Fuel/crew placement etc ...) The best you can get now will be one ticket flying one alliance but different carriers !

RJLover

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:32 pm

theobcman wrote:
Dont think it would happen now due costs (Fuel/crew placement etc ...) The best you can get now will be one ticket flying one alliance but different carriers !

I did exactly that just over a month ago! I flew on Air Canada, EVA Air, Singapore Airlines, and Ethiopian Airlines (all Star Alliance carriers).

YHZ-YYZ-TPE-SIN-ADL // ADL-SIN-ADD // ADD-DUB-YYZ-YUL-YHZ

Of course, if you're looking for strictly same plane service all the way around the world, you can always check this out... https://www.abercrombiekent.com/pagefli ... index.html. It's a touch on the pricey side though.

EDIT: Also, check out flight ICE1402 on your favourite flight tracking website. It is another Abercrombie and Kent around-the-world expedition that's in progress right now!
Last edited by RJLover on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YYZ // YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s):

trijetsonly

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
A couple of years ago I saw an unusual visitor parked on the ramp here in Antofagasta. I asked here in the forums, with the reg number, in case someone knew something about it.
Someone answered my question and the aircraft was a specially configured aircraft with only about 65 or 70 seats, IIRC it was a Boeing 737-800. It was a European charter company, and they were doing a Trip all around the world. They were coming from some place in Brazil, and after Antofagasta they continued to Easter Island, then Hawaii.
So, to answer your question, there are around the world trips, but only in charter mode and, probably, at a very high ticket price for the passengers.

This was one of the Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzflüge (cruise-flights).
Hapag-Lloyd (TUI) dos a couple of cruise flights every year in all-Business class configured A319 and 737. The last around the world trip was almost 3 weeks and 50.000€ per person.

Back to the original topic:
My last around the world flight on one ticket with one airline was on Air New Zealand in 2009. But it was not exactly as those famous PAA back in the day as it had two flight numbers (NZ1 and NZ2) and plane changes in LHR and AKL.
Happy Landings

ro1960

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 pm

I guess they are a thing of the past when multi stop routes were necessary due to the limited range of the aircraft. The RTW thing was just joining the eastbound and westbound routes but not really a proper route. I think UTA linked their Paris to PPT route via South East Asia to their Paris to PPT via LAX route making a loop around the globe but I doubt there was a real market for the whole route.

Nowadays there may be a small charter or special event market but not much more. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

flylondon

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:38 pm

The industry is going the other way - ruthlessly efficient hubbing and removal of 5th freedoms / tags among the legacies, and cherry picked P2P for long/med haul LCCs

The nostalgic days of once per week multi-stop routes with a 747 are gone

lordlogan

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I was looking at some round the world flight itineraries and found that some while they are not direct round the world flight services, I was surprised that some itineraries were possible with a single carrier, but always connecting at their hub. For example;
LHR-DEL-SIN-LAX-LHR you can fly all of the legs connecting at ADD for every flight with Ethiopian Airlines
LHR-LAX-BNE-SIN-LHR you can fly all of the legs connecting at ICN for every flight with Korean Air

I would have thought an itinerary such as this would be possible with EK or EY, although I haven't found one. Is anyone else intrigued to find some of these?

nikeherc

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Although Pan Am 1 and 2 were around the world flights, it is best to think of them as a series of point to point flights. Due to the limitations of early jets, even Tokyo was not a non-stop flight from LAX or SFO. You were going to stop in ANC or HNL. So Pan Am simply strung together a series of point to point flights with the same flight number. Of course, even Pan Am 1 and 2 weren't true around the world flights, since PAA could not fly domestically. You had to connect on another airline for the JFK - LAX or LAX - JFK portion of the trip.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

timz

Re: Around the World Route

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:05 pm

PA started flying across the US about 1967, and PA 1 was all-the-way RTW for a short time in the 1970s.

Dogbreath

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:57 pm

If you want to have a laugh check out the Flat Earth Society YouTube videos. Hilarious! According to them you cannot fly around the world, as you'd simply fall off the edge. I'm sure they wouldn't believe me when I explain to them I've done it many many times in my flying career. Now don't get me started about trying to explain to one of them the difference between a rhumb line and a Great Circle Track.
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

UPNYGuy

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Crystal (the ultra luxury cruise line) still does it. They have a specially equipped 772lr for this purpose, in a VIP config. They charter it from time to time, but they have it to do “air cruises” to fly the ultra wealthy around the world.

XAM2175

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:49 pm

I mean if anything it's easier to consider them now than ever before, as newer aircraft offer non-stop ranges previously thought unimaginable making it technically possible to fly RTW in less time and with fewer stops.

Except that in practical reality the reason they've gone is that the stops were generally necessary for technical reasons, not commercial ones. It's not a new trend either; QF broke their RTW chain in the mid-1970s when they ended NYC-LHR, although a small reminder of the olden days remains in the fact that QF3 and 4 are SYD-HNL and back.

Of course there are a few hold-outs - NZ's AKL-LAX-LHR is one such example, but they handed the other half over to alliance partners (mainly SQ) and actively prefer to the US-UK leg as a standalone route.

CollegeAviator

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Air India round trip DEL-SFO-DEL, all of it would be east bound all the way :)

dcs921

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:58 am

Not a passenger flight but 5X has around the world route: SDF-DXB-SZX-ANC-SDF. 5X76 covers SDF-DXB-SZX changes flight numbers to 5X77 for SZX-ANC-SDF. The flight takes about 44 hours using the same tail.

ro1960

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 am

ro1960 wrote:
I think UTA linked their Paris to PPT route via South East Asia to their Paris to PPT via LAX route making a loop around the globe but I doubt there was a real market for the whole route.

I stand corrected. The route I'm talking about was advertised as "Tour de Monde/Round the World" but the LAX-ORY or LAX-CDG was opertated by AF, not UT. So not sure it really qualifies as a RTW route.
http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/ut2/ut79/ut79-05.jpg
http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/ut64/ut64-05.jpg
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

Iemand91

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:41 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Air India round trip DEL-SFO-DEL, all of it would be east bound all the way :)

Or SQ22 and SQ22:
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 0330987521

Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

BravoOne

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 am

timz wrote:
PA started flying across the US about 1967, and PA 1 was all-the-way RTW for a short time in the 1970s.

I was flying for Pan Am in 1967 and do not recall any flying across the US. Crews who did the RTW trips were either fro KFK or SFO depending on direction of flight, They did a JFK-LHR-SFO or LAX combination, and then HNL to either GUM, HKG, and on around using different city pairs until they got back to JFK. About 12 days flying....as I recall. TWA had a similar pattern. FWIW, I never did one of these trips as they wen pretty senior at the time.

timz

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:31 pm

BravoOne wrote:
I was flying for Pan Am in 1967 and do not recall any flying across the US.

The timetable shows one flight a day Europe to JFK to SFO starting in 1967. Bullitt almost got it right -- the Pan Am flight the killer tried to escape on was SFO-JFK-FCO, which might have been true except the real-life flight was a morning departure from SFO.