wnflyguy
Topic Author

Speculation: Delta possible takeover of Hawaiian?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:55 am

Some Rumours coming that DL is going to further this battle in the West by buying Hawaiian Airlines.
With it's world wide network this would give it a huge advantage over WN and AS in the Hawaii market.

Thoughts?

Flyguy
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

mjoelnir

Re: Delta possible takeover of Hawaiian?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 am

My thoughts are that some posters are obsessed with take overs and mergers.

stlgph

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

Agreed. I really don't get the obsession. The endless discussion and suggestion of every airline merging with another by some people is pure stupidity in its finest form.

It's called airliners.net for a reason, not airliner.net
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MIflyer12

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
With it's world wide network this would give it a huge advantage over WN and AS in the Hawaii market.

I don't see the mainland-Hawaii market as a big enough prize to attract Delta. Delta is a $44 Billion business. Hawaiian had operating revenues of $2.7 Billion last year. HNL as a hub to Asia? No, no, no.

enilria

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Agreed. I really don't get the obsession. The endless discussion and suggestion of every airline merging with another by some people is pure stupidity in its finest form.

It's called airliners.net for a reason, not airliner.net

It won’t help with business traffic which is their focus. It puts them back heavily in Japan. And I hate mergers. Just no.

kavok

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Exactly. What is the benefit to DL in this?

If DL wanted to add a mainland USA to Hawaii flight, they would. Nothing is stopping them, as shown by the recent MSP and future DTW additions.

As far as intraisland flying, those operations can’t be that hugely profitable. Besides, DL has the codeshare agreement in place so they get half the benefits anyway. If anything, this service becomes less profitable in the future if WN ever begins their long announced intraisland flying operation.
Last edited by kavok on Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IPFreely

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:39 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Some Rumours coming that DL is going to further this battle in the West by buying Hawaiian Airlines.

Some rumors coming? Could you please elaborate -- when are these rumors going to come, and from where? Is there a source? Is it reliable? Is there more than one independent source? Is there any evidence?

jbooser

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:44 pm

I don’t understand these posts. No airline would gain anything taking Hawaiian over. They’re practically a niche airline. The competition with Hawaiian is minimal and the cost far outweighs the advantages compared to other airline mergers such as UA/CO, DL/NW, WN/FL, HP/US/AA.

KICT

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 pm

What was the benefit in AS buying VX? There was none, aside from eliminating a competitor and locking out JetBlue from a meaningful west coast presence.
Delta buying HA would do the same. Airlines are not jobs programs, and they do not exist to make you "feel good".
People are saying. Believe me.

IPFreely

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Thoughts?

Flyguy

Earlier you posted that Southwest was buying Hawaii:

wnflyguy wrote:
Rumors are swirling around about WN buying someone.

Leading the water cooler buzz is COPA.
2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

So my question is how would the Copa deal work out?
Would WN just operate them as a separate airline or Southwest SA operated by Copa.

I have no inside info this is just sharing the rumor buzz.
With both Pilots and FA hard sale for their respective new TA on contracts.
Conspiracy theories are WN making moves to buy someone else.

I think Copa would fit quite well within WN.
As would B6.
I don't think buying Hawaiian would being much value.

Flyguy

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1344459&p=19109723&hilit=buying#p19109723

At that time you wrote that buying Hawaiian wouldn't bring any value. Why does it now give DL a huge advantage?

flyfresno

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Adores hawaiian own their A330s? 717s? A321s? The biggest reason I see for acquiring them would be those three fleet types that Delta seems to love...

MIflyer12

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:24 pm

flyfresno wrote:
Adores hawaiian own their A330s? 717s? A321s? The biggest reason I see for acquiring them would be those three fleet types that Delta seems to love...

A330s and 321s are a readily-available commodity - new, used, or leased.

Delta will, over the next 12 months, take delivery of more A220s than the entirety of 717s in the HA fleet.

HA's fleet (of anything!) isn't big enough to give Delta new economies of scale in operations. 24 A330s? Delta already has 42, and 25 A339s on the way.

SteelChair

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:37 pm

A couple of HND slots?

FlyHappy

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:46 pm

to echo others, we'd love to hear the basis of this rumour?

It defies common logic, with no clear understanding of what value it would bring to DL vs the significant cost.
DL does as much HI flying as they care to... skimming the cream of premium routes and non stops from selected cities - what is the point of battling WN/AS over the lower yields of west coast to HI?
HA has no hub or fleet value to others. HA's value is as the dominant carrier of the Island state.... and thats how they will stay - independent and niche, quite reflective of their home base.

PlanesNTrains

Re: Speculation: Delta possible takeover of Hawaiian?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Thoughts?

Flyguy

This again? Let me hold my breath on your water cooler rumors.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

jayunited

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:02 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Thoughts?

Flyguy

I’m not sure where this rumor came from but I would rate this rumor the same way people rate UA merging or taking over B6 its B.S. As much as people would love to see mergers and takeovers continue in the U.S. market I think those days are over. No one is taking over HA or B6, these speculative threads are not based on any solid foundation it just people on a.netters wanting to see their particular airline extend it reach. The days where airlines merger in order to grow are probably over any future growth will have to take place organically.

DL747400

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm

I love mergers in general and I specifically love everything about this rumor, which has been circulating for at least 2 years now.

The handwriting is on the wall: HA will not remain independent. Someone WILL acquire them or merge with them. DL sees what is about to take place in the industry and has most certainly been contemplating how various transactions involving HA and other carriers would impact the competitive dynamics within in the industry. It isn't exactly a leap to think that DL has also actively considered whether it might make sense for DL to step in and be the acquirer, primarily to prevent HA from falling into the hands of a competitor.

When compared to some of the other larger, more complex mergers which have occurred, DL/HA would be a very easy integration.

Lots of pluses if this one comes to pass.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

questions

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 pm

DL747400 wrote:
I love mergers in general and I specifically love everything about this rumor, which has been circulating for at least 2 years now.

The handwriting is on the wall: HA will not remain independent. Someone WILL acquire them or merge with them. 1) DL sees what is about to take place in the industry and 2) has most certainly been contemplating how various transactions involving HA and other carriers would impact the competitive dynamics within in the industry. It isn't exactly a leap to think that DL has also actively considered whether it might make sense for DL to step in and be the acquirer, 3) primarily to prevent HA from falling into the hands of a competitor.

When compared to some of the other larger, more complex mergers which have occurred, DL/HA would be a very easy integration.

4) Lots of pluses if this one comes to pass.

This is just nonsense.

1) WHAT is about to take place in the industry? Provide some examples so that we can see how an acquisition of HA is relevant

2) How do you know M&A opportunities are a component of their strategy? There are other opportunities DL could be exploring that would produce better outcomes in meeting their growth objectives

3) So what if another airline acquired HA? What would DL lose if AA, AS, B6, UA or WN acquired HA?

4) Name three

HA may be an acquisition target in the future; however, it will not be by a US3.

nine4nine

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh good lord....here we go again.

A rumor from an FA who was told by an FO who was told by a ramper who was told by the barista at the terminal Starbucks that was told by a vagrant at the bus stop. Come on.........

DL and HA give me a break.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

dcajet

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Southwest buying COPA? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

N1KE

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:10 pm

The rumours I am hearing is that Delta will be merging with every airline in the world to become the super carrier of the universe and they are about to order 5000 A380’s. Also every aircraft in the world will be going to Delta from tomorrow. Why is every post on here related to Delta and how they will merge or buy everything.

EvanWSFO

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Thoughts?

Flyguy

US thus all you can do, speculation on mergers that won't happen. Until one of your prognostications come true, no one takes you serious.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

BC77008

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Keep Hawaiian my Hawaiian!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

questions

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Plus... and I can’t believe no one has mentioned this... we all know that the next acquisition in the US will be... B6 acquiring AS in two years... it’s been confirmed by all of the FA’s, FO’s, pilots, rampers, Alaska Lounge attendants, AND every friend of a friend of a friend in Seattle. Everyone knows about it. Everyone.

Just as soon as the old Virgin America interiors are replaced, B6 is going to buy Alaska. Many people say this. Many people. It’s going to be the finest airline. The finest. And only the best people will work there. Only the best. And people say, “You’re gonna have to paint all those planes again. That costs a lot of money.” Don’t worry folks. It won’t cost of a thing. Mexico is going to pay for it. Mexico is going to pay for all integration costs. “What healthcare plan will the employees have when we merge?” you ask. Only the best healthcare plan. Only the best. And let me tell you something else. Airliners.net is fake news people. Fake news.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:31 pm

No domestic airline is going to willingly take on the roll of inter-island flying in Hawai'i. The logistics of operating in Hawai'i are significantly different than anywhere else, including maintaining a fleet of airplanes with engines that can deal with the rigors of multiple short-haul flights in a warm & humid environment.

Aptivaboy

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Exactly why would HA consent to this? What would HA gain by being bought? I really don't see any up sides for HA. They'd cease to exist as an independent entity. Why would they want to do this? I just don't see it unless we're in the middle of another depression or significant recession, worse than the last one, and a merger or takeover is the only way for some fragment of the operation to survive, a few employees to keep their jobs, and the shareholders to retain some minimal equity. Nope, I just don't see it.

WeatherPilot

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:45 pm

I thought we all agreed that AS was going to buy HA and then B6 was going to buy AS? /s

as739x

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
KICT wrote:
What was the benefit in AS buying VX? There was none, aside from eliminating a competitor and locking out JetBlue from a meaningful west coast presence.
Delta buying HA would do the same. Airlines are not jobs programs, and they do not exist to make you "feel good".

AS buying VX to reduce West coast competition and growth from SFO and the the entire Bay Area, one of the most profitable regions in the US and World vs. DL buy HA and own a boat load of low yield markets to the islands. Not even a comparison!!
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Tailwinds

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:56 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
I thought we all agreed that AS was going to buy HA and then B6 was going to buy AS? /s

And then SY buys them all, and the resulting company will be named People Express.

Tailwinds

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:17 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
No domestic airline is going to willingly take on the roll of inter-island flying in Hawai'i. The logistics of operating in Hawai'i are significantly different than anywhere else, including maintaining a fleet of airplanes with engines that can deal with the rigors of multiple short-haul flights in a warm & humid environment.

If QX had been at the top of their game a year ago I think they could have taken over for WP. Still might be able to, but AS isn't in the mood for risk. But with AS already operating all the necessary stations, the marginal cost to QX of adding inter-island flights isn't much more than the direct operating cost, whereas WP needed those same flights to pay for the whole company. Spending a year or two building loyalty through inter-island might have been a good way to withstand the pressures of WNs MAXes.

DL747400

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:29 pm

:rotfl: I love it how so many people in this thread are getting their shorts in a twist over this topic.

It is both entertaining and fascinating to dwell on all of the "what if" scenarios that people like the OP bring up for discussion. Yes, this IS a rumor and the OP made that quite clear, but if you can take a step back and remove all of the second hand emotion from the equation, IMO these scenarios are rather entertaining to contemplate.

In my opinion, HA, B6 and AS will each either acquire another carrier or will be acquired by another carrier.

I say let the speculation (and entertainment) continue.....

adam47150

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Why would a DL acquisition automatically be the end of HA? Couldn't DL decide to keep HA as is and create some North American version of IAG?

flyabr

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Wonder if an HA buy-out by DL would lead to cancellation of the 789 order??

bgm

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Have they run out of FAs having sex in the toilets, so now they need some new gossip?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

77H

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 pm

DL747400 wrote:

The handwriting is on the wall: HA will not remain independent. Someone WILL acquire them or merge with them. DL sees what is about to take place in the industry and has most certainly been contemplating how various transactions involving HA and other carriers would impact the competitive dynamics within in the industry. It isn't exactly a leap to think that DL has also actively considered whether it might make sense for DL to step in and be the acquirer, primarily to prevent HA from falling into the hands of a competitor.

Lots of pluses if this one comes to pass.

Doubt the DOJ would approve. Would give the hypothetical carrier way too much market share to/from and within the Hawaii market. While it’s not as large or important as the large metros on the mainland the “to/from” market is large and would become anti-competitive.

77H

GSPSPOT

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 am

Sweet mother of... Is it April 1 again??
Great Lakes, great life.

DL747400

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm

adam47150 wrote:
Why would a DL acquisition automatically be the end of HA? Couldn't DL decide to keep HA as is and create some North American version of IAG?

I don't necessarily think that a DL acquisition of HA would automatically have to mean the end of HA, but DL would have to get approval from their pilot's union to operate HA as you describe. Not holding my breath.