Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Best Y+ from SEA

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 am

I'm gearing up to go to LHR late next year so I'm looking at air fares now.

Originally, I was drawn to BA's business class since there are some dates where it's rather cheap but for the dates I'm looking at, J is out of the question. The next option is Y+. Only 3 airlines offer a decent Y+ from SEA: BA, VS, and AF.

They all seem to be around the same price. I lean towards VS since(in addition of being a nonstop) I can book through DL and, since I plan to cancel the return leg, can reuse the money elsewhere.

But which one of these airlines would you say has the best Y+ product?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

IPFreely

Re: Best Y+ from SEA

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 am

There are two strikes against AF:
1. This far in advance you don't know if or when they will be on strike.
2. You seem to be looking to fly from SEA to LHR. AF does not fly this route.

That should limit the choices to BA or VS. Many posters on here will be certain that VS is far superior to BA based on important stuff like whether the FA smiles, if they get a cold vs. lukewarm muffin, or if they get a glass vs. a whole can of soda. Many others will feel that BA is far superior to VS for similar reasons. The truth is they are pretty much the same.

PatrickZ80

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Don't rule out Norwegian to Gatwick. I know Gatwick isn't Heathrow, but it's London anyway and the Economy Plus product on Norwegian is very good and very affordable.

PI4EVER

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:19 pm

The suggestion to consider DY to LGW is a good one; however, I too would consider VS for service and being a part of DL joint venture.
I would strongly suggest you consult fare rules and/or speak with a VS reservations agent on ticket value if you only fly one-way.
Don't assume you'll get "half" of the roundtrip fare, with or without penalty fees. Premium economy does not mean you have a "premium"
fully refundable ticket if you change the use of it after you fly the originating segment.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Eindhoven

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:15 pm

If you travel one-way that's one reason more to fly DY. They charge per one-way so you don't have to cancel the return flight, you can just book a one-way for half the price of a return. Legacies like DL, VS and BA don't offer this. I agree DY is the best option.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:09 pm

I hadn't considered DY. However, I'm concerned because of its seasonal flights. I have a cruise to catch on November 2 but I'd rather get there on the 1st to ensure I have at least 24 hours and not feel rushed. It looks like they fly every other day and looking at the schedule they'll likely have a flight on November 1 (arriving at LGW on the 2nd). I don't think there would be any reason for delays from Seattle other than very low ceiling or strong winds in the UK that prevent the flight from departing/arriving on time.

But its premium cabin is decently priced and if I can coordinate with the cruise line, then it seems like the best option.

PI4EVER

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Are you sailing from Southampton? If so, arrive in London on Nov 1 to overnight in London or Southampton. The rail and bus transfers takes several hours plus a taxi transfer to the pier. If you are using a cruise line same day transfer from the airport they still will not guarantee your transfer to the ship if you flight is delayed and you miss the last pick up time for the bus transfer.
I recommend arriving London or Southampton on Nov 1 to overnight and use rail, bus and taxi schedules to arrive at the cruise line pier by 1200noon on Nov 2. I recommend that because I've done it.
watch what you want. you may get it.

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:45 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I hadn't considered DY. However, I'm concerned because of its seasonal flights. I have a cruise to catch on November 2 but I'd rather get there on the 1st to ensure I have at least 24 hours and not feel rushed. It looks like they fly every other day and looking at the schedule they'll likely have a flight on November 1 (arriving at LGW on the 2nd). I don't think there would be any reason for delays from Seattle other than very low ceiling or strong winds in the UK that prevent the flight from departing/arriving on time.

But its premium cabin is decently priced and if I can coordinate with the cruise line, then it seems like the best option.

Usually there are no big delays on Norwegian but you never know. Recently when I flew them they were 15 minutes delayed, no big issue.

Isn't it an option to take one flight earlier (October 30, arrive October 31) and do some sightseeing in London prior to the cruise? The city is sure worth a visit and otherwise you wouldn't have time for that.

SRQKEF

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 pm

How much is FI J via KEF? They're multiple daily into SEA on a mix of 757s and 767s, offer quick but reliable connections to both LGW and LHR and their J product is in between regular Biz Class and Y+ on most airlines.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:09 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Isn't it an option to take one flight earlier (October 30, arrive October 31) and do some sightseeing in London prior to the cruise? The city is sure worth a visit and otherwise you wouldn't have time for that.

So that's why I'd prefer to leave on the 31st and arrive on the 1st. The cruise is 11 days long. At work I'd already be taking 2 days for travel to London, plus about 8 days for cruise and return trip. I'm kinda stingy with vacation :P

IPFreely

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:58 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm kinda stingy with vacation :P

One more reason to take the nonstop on BA or VS.