dik909
Topic Author

How do you prepare for a flight ??

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Any special rituals you go through before flying ? Old habits ?? Special things you bring along ?

Me ? Well, if I'm flying to a new airport I'll look up the ATC frequencies so I can listen on my scanner after landing. I also like to look up the history of the bird I'm flying after it's pulled into the gate and the registry is made known.

Well ? Spill it !! :)

eastafspot

Re: How do you prepare for a flight ??

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:22 pm

For new airports, I use to check the weather forecast to see the wind directions and choose the best side for the window seat during take off or landing!
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Air Uganda, Kenya Airways and Rwandair...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm

eastafspot wrote:
For new airports, I use to check the weather forecast to see the wind directions and choose the best side for the window seat during take off or landing!

Nice !! I wish I had the freedom to choose/change my seats so easily at the last moment !! :D

I tend to sit on the north side of the aircraft, so the sun isn't blinding me when I try to look out the window.

My wife & I will make an Atlantic night flight next month (DTW-CDG); I chose north-facing seats then, too, so we can hopefully see some Northern Lights ! :)

cofannyc

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I pack a bag and go to the airport.

A bit tongue in cheek, but the reality is 95% of my travel is for work so I see it as essentially commuting not something that I particularly enjoy. On a short flight, I'm working on the plane. On a long flight, I'm getting as much sleep as possible to hit the ground running.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Like a crewman from one of the starships named "Enterprise", I prepare for a flight by planning as many of the details over which I have control as possible.

* Keep an eye out for changes in our itinerary.
* Watch the weather in both the transfer city (if needed) as well as the destination location.
* Review the rental car & driving instructions.
* Review hotel instructions.

On the day before, pull out the suitcases. When it is time to pack, I go down the checklist of items of clothing and pack accordingly. Toiletries & liquids are a separate checklist. Then to the single carry-on - pack that as well.

Final step: as time gets close, track down the registry of the airplane(s) of the initial flight(s). More than once I have been unable to read the tail number of an airplane, and knowing it in advance is a nice thing. That information gets easier to find every trip.

99% of the time everything goes right, but that 1% - I try and be as prepared as I can, in case something goes askew.

Gemuser

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:28 am

As well as most of the above a week before I start cutting down on alcohol & coffee. Basically all my flights are usually an 8-10 hour sector followed by a 14-16 hour sector. I find it very important to manage fluid input carefully other wise I get to the end and just want to sleep for a day or two, where as if I follow my routine I can get to Europe and be ready to go. This includes drinking plenty of water before, at the airport and on board, which can be tricky with the current stupid restrictions on fluids.

Gemuser

Markus34

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi everyone. I usualy do nothing special because I am not afraid of flying but I know that a lot of people have rituals to deal with their fears. So it will be interesting to read something special.

LH658

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:58 am

Nothing really specific, though i take ear plugs, headphones, and usually grab a meal or a snack.

If the airlines gives you a hot or cold towel in economy like Emirates or Qatar, I clean my face/hands then afterwards I use it to wipe down the tray table.

MIAspotter

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:09 am

For short flights, usually make sure I´ve packed everything and that I have as little hanging around me as possible when going thru security (I chuck my keys and leftover coins inside my carryon, so I just keep my wallet and phone plus belt) on the geeky side, I check FR24 to see the reg of my plane and see where it is, and also where is coming from (if departing from base) then I pat it just before stepping onboard and another one when deplaning.

Long flights: Pretty much the same, make sure I have everything, check-in online, enough time for bag drop, etc. Oh and try to check what sort of IFE is available during that month (at least you can do that on QR, I am sure more airlines have that feature on their website too)

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

PanzerPowner

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:11 am

Get the food, boarding pass, passport, clothing is optional and head to the airport with phone in hand for photos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

dik909
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 am

LH658 wrote:
If the airlines gives you a hot or cold towel in economy like Emirates or Qatar, I clean my face/hands then afterwards I use it to wipe down the tray table.

That's a good idea, wiping the tray table down..

PanzerPowner wrote:
...clothing is optional...

Well duh, that's a given. :lol:

388crazy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:24 pm

dik909 wrote:
I chose north-facing seats then, too, so we can hopefully see some Northern Lights ! :)

I am flying JFK-MAD soon, does this flight normally go north enough that there is a chance of seeing the northern lights?
320,321,332,333,346,359,388,737,738,739,74L,744,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W,788,789,CR7,CR9,DH4,E145,E170,E175,MD88
4O,6E,9W,AA,AI,AS,AZ,BA,CX,D7,DJ,DL,EK,EY,FJ,IB,IR,JJ,JQ,KQ,LB,LH,MH,MI,NZ,QF,SG,SQ,TG,TP,TT,UA,VA,VY

IADCA

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm

388crazy wrote:
dik909 wrote:
I chose north-facing seats then, too, so we can hopefully see some Northern Lights ! :)

I am flying JFK-MAD soon, does this flight normally go north enough that there is a chance of seeing the northern lights?

No, not even close. DTW is much better, but still not too high of a chance.

spacecadet

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:53 am

I will usually re-download the airline's app both for check-in and in case it's required for IFE (as in AA's case). I also make sure my tablet, phone and bluetooth headphones are fully charged.

At the airport while waiting for the flight, I will always look up where the plane is in advance. Most of the time I can figure out which plane is designated to service my flight, and I can see whether it's on an inbound flight or waiting at the airport. That helps me know before the airline announces anything whether or not the flight will be delayed or on time. (In other words, if I see an inbound flight with an ETA 20 minutes after my departure, I know we're going to be delayed.)

I used to check the weather radar for the route using a radar app that I have, but unless there's a hurricane or something, I don't really do that anymore. At some point you've got to trust the pilots to know what they're doing and get the flight around major weather.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

evank516

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Nowadays I just stare at the upgrade list 72 hours before departure and see if I clear.