caliboy93
Topic Author

Thanksgiving, Turkeys, and Turkish Airlines

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:53 am

So does Turkey's flag carrier do something special on Thanksgiving for its US routes, given that the holiday centers around the turkey bird?

mercure1

Re: Thanksgiving, Turkeys, and Turkish Airlines

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:09 am

I doubt they do anything special as turkey the bird are not a commonly consumed item in Turkey.
Actually, I don't believe I have ever seen it on the menu anywhere in my years of visits.
mercure f-wtcc

leftcoast8

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:25 am

Wild turkeys are endemic to the Americas. They're not common in the Mediterranean.

I would assume lamb is more popular in Turkey (the country) than turkey (the meat).

dozerman

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:33 am

mercure1 wrote:
I doubt they do anything special as turkey the bird are not a commonly consumed item in Turkey.
Actually, I don't believe I have ever seen it on the menu anywhere in my years of visits.

It is consumed, although not as much as the US. It is not as common as chicken, beef or lamb, but it can be found in almost any supermarket in Istanbul.

Turks are kind of annoyed with the name mixup with the bird in English, so I guess thats why there isn't a big marketing campaign about this. But I did receive an email from TK yesterday about a Black Friday sale.

afterburner

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:50 am

I believe it's just a coincidence that the name of the country in English is the same as the name of the bird.

55flyer

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:47 am

afterburner wrote:
I believe it's just a coincidence that the name of the country in English is the same as the name of the bird.

Not a coincidence at all. Prior to the colonization of North America and the discovery of what we now call a turkey, the guinea fowl was imported into Europe via the Ottoman Empire as Tukey hens and Turkey cocks. So when the first colonists ran across a similar bird, they used the same term which was shortened later to just turkey.

French has a similar geographic mistake for the word turkey. Turkey is dinde in French shortened from poule d'inde or Hen from India. The poor North American turkey, Europeans just could not get his geographic origin straight!

TYCOON

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 am

And to add to the country/turkey/language mash-up, the animal "turkey" in Portuguese is "peru"!!

gokmengs

Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:15 am

caliboy93 wrote:
So does Turkey's flag carrier do something special on Thanksgiving for its US routes, given that the holiday centers around the turkey bird?

Wow what an ignorant thread and amazing its not locked by our normally sensitive hard working mods. The English name for the country Turkiye Cumhuriyeti and the English name given to the bird Turkey has nothing to do with each other. I assume you are American, I can go on about what Thanksgiving is where its only celebrated (I lived in the US for 18 years hold dual citizenship and love the country) I'm going to suggest your question is plain ignorant bordering on dumb. Sorry for the blunt reply.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

csavel

Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am

gokmengs wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

Wow what an ignorant thread and amazing its not locked by our normally sensitive hard working mods. The English name for the country Turkiye Cumhuriyeti and the English name given to the bird Turkey has nothing to do with each other. I assume you are American, I can go on about what Thanksgiving is where its only celebrated (I lived in the US for 18 years hold dual citizenship and love the country) I'm going to suggest your question is plain ignorant bordering on dumb. Sorry for the blunt reply.

Actually they do. As was pointed out upthread the first (English speaking) Europeans who saw the bird which apparently looked something like a bird common in Turkey called it Turkey. Not saying the bird and the country have anything to do with each other, because they don't - but the NAME of both certainly do.

Also, it isn't inconceivable that an airline might want to have an advertising campaign with a play on words. "Instead of eating turkey with all the turkeys in your family, eat halvah in TURKEY! Flights for only $$$"

So OP's question was neither ignorant nor dumb.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

dangerhere

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:13 pm

55flyer wrote:
afterburner wrote:

Not a coincidence at all. Prior to the colonization of North America and the discovery of what we now call a turkey, the guinea fowl was imported into Europe via the Ottoman Empire as Tukey hens and Turkey cocks. So when the first colonists ran across a similar bird, they used the same term which was shortened later to just turkey.

French has a similar geographic mistake for the word turkey. Turkey is dinde in French shortened from poule d'inde or Hen from India. The poor North American turkey, Europeans just could not get his geographic origin straight!

eh no: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Turkey#Etymology

chepos

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:03 pm

This thread is kind of silly, Turkish Airlines most probably knows today is a holiday in the US but most probably they don’t know or would really care a bird is the main dish for many today.
Fly the Flag!!!!

gokmengs

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:50 am

csavel wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

Actually they do. As was pointed out upthread the first (English speaking) Europeans who saw the bird which apparently looked something like a bird common in Turkey called it Turkey. Not saying the bird and the country have anything to do with each other, because they don't - but the NAME of both certainly do.

Also, it isn't inconceivable that an airline might want to have an advertising campaign with a play on words. "Instead of eating turkey with all the turkeys in your family, eat halvah in TURKEY! Flights for only $$$"

So OP's question was neither ignorant nor dumb.

You are factually wrong, yes I'm aware that doesn't make a difference on anet... Doubt you'll take the time to read, but here is a very helpful read....

"The word turkey has been used to refer to “land occupied by the Turks” since the 1300s and was even used by Chaucer in The Book of the Duchess. The word Turk is of unknown origin, but it’s used in such varying languages as Italian, Arabic, Persian, and many others to refer to people from this region. The land occupied by the Turks was known as the Ottoman Empire from the 1300s until 1922.

Following World War I and the fall of the Ottomans, the republic of Turkey formed, taking on the name that had long referred to that region. Makes sense, right? Turks live in Turkey. As for the turkey with wings, Meleagris gallopavo is an odd-looking bird that’s known for its bare head, wattle, and iridescent plumage. It’s from North America (not the Middle East).

How did the land occupied by the Turks become associated with a North American bird?
To understand this, we have to get to know another bird: the guinea fowl. This bird bears some resemblance to the American turkey. The guinea fowl is actually native to eastern Africa and was imported to Europe through the Ottoman Empire.

Ah, we are seeing a connection! Once imported, Europeans came to call the guinea fowl the turkey-cock or turkey-hen, because the bird came from the Turks. When settlers in the New World began to send similar-looking fowl back to Europe, they, out of familiarity, called them turkeys.

But, every language seems to have radically different names for this bird, and so Turkey the nation is definitely the first and correct usage of the word.
The Turkish word for the bird is hindi, which literally means “Indian.” The original word in French, coq d’Inde, meant “rooster of India,” and has since shortened to dinde. These names likely derive from the common misconception that India and the New World were one and the same. In Portuguese, it’s literally a “Peru bird,” and in Malay, it’s called a “Dutch chicken.”

source: https://www.dictionary.com/e/turkey/
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

csavel

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi gokmengs

I am really not sure what the point is you are trying to make. I fear we are arguing about two separate things. Your last post actually proves (mostly) my point. I was wrong about the guinea fowl native to east africa, actually thought it was native to west Africa as well as North Africa and the middle east, but again. neither I nor many other people in this thread are saying the bird and country have anything to do with each other. Perhaps we weren't clear on that. We ARE saying that the NAME for the bird and the NAME for the country are related because of the mislabelling of the bird 300 years ago - even if that was a mistake. Thus in native English speakers minds there is a linguistic connection. In native French speakers' minds there is a linguistic connection between the bird in question and India, also incorrect. So it goes with language. You can't regulate it and you can't make it logical.

So back to aviation - the original poster I think was asking whether it made sense for Turkish airlines to perhaps play on the (unintentional and incorrect) connection between the NAME for the bird and the NAME of the country to promote going to Turkey and not having to sit through another dysfunctional Thanksgiving dinner listening to your angry uncle. Actually not such a bad idea.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

directorguy

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Turkey the bird is called a different country name in every language.
In English it's turkey.
In French its Indian chicken
In Egypt it's Greek chicken.
In Malay it's Dutch chicken
In Greek it's French chicken

The list is actually longer but this is off the top of my head.

ACCS300

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Painfully ignorant thread OMG.

We also have Thanksgiving in Canada, early October but many visiting Americans assume it's Thanksgiving in Canada when they travel here during their US Thanksgiving Break! I even received an email from StubHub wishing me Happy Thanksgiving, on US Thanksgiving and telling me about great Thanksgiving Events here in Vancouver, even though it wasn't Thanksgiving here. About as bad as the poster's thread.

FlyRow

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:14 am

Lock this thread....
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380