Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Taxi645
Topic Author

What would an A350NEO look like?

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm

The Bloomberg article hinted at the A350NEO: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... gined-a350

What would an A350NEO actually look like?

As I've argued before the A350 is on the heavy side for it's wingspan, especially for past 2025 standards pushing for laminar flow. Also already it has plenty of range, there doesn't seem much sense to increase range much further. Finally the required diameter of ultrafan type engines on an A350 weight plane within a 64m wingspan restriction is also quite a challenge.

There seem two path's to convert the increased SFC of those ultrafan type engines into competitive airliners:

1 Increase length/capacity to improve CASM rather than range which is not needed.
This has the negative side effect that span loading will be relatively high by 2025 standards (might require folding wings) and engine diameter will probably require extensive engine integration rework/cost to get them on the wing.

2 Reduce fuel load/weight to reduce both the required engine diameter and thus reintegration cost and improve span loading to help with laminar flow.
This however in the past have been difficult because parts are designed for a higher MTOW.

What do you guys reckon?
Innovation is seeing opportunity before obstacle.

BravoEchoNov

Re: What would an A350NEO look like?

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

I would mostly look at what changes were made to the A320neo and A330neo. Obviously, engines would be the largest change. Changes to the landing gear may be necessary if the new engines have a larger diameter. Aerodynamic efficiencies will likely be made to the wings but I highly doubt Airbus will put new wings on the A350 in order to keep costs low.

With all that being said, I don't think Airbus will develop the A350neo for at least 15+ years. The current generation A350 should (I think) sell quite nicely for many years to come.

Eyad89

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Taxi645 wrote:

As I've argued before the A350 is on the heavy side for it's wingspan,

A359 and 788 have the lowest span loading for any widebody out there, even when including the 77X in the comparison. How did you conclude that it's heavy for its span?

But I agree that a better engine would give it a range boost that would render the higher MTOW variants useless for most airlines.

An A350NEO would also mean a 787MAX in the making. That would make a 787-10MAX a real tough competitor for the A359, since it won't have the range advantage anymore.

Slash787

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:54 pm

It would look different than the B787 Max.......

Taxi645
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
Taxi645 wrote:

A359 and 788 have the lowest span loading for any widebody out there, even when including the 77X in the comparison. How did you conclude that it's heavy for its span?.

The A330NEO is much lower for instance. If not for the 65m limit I reckon the A359 would've had 68m span. By post 2025 aero standards, from which onwards ultrafan would be roughly available, optimal span loading will be even lower.
Innovation is seeing opportunity before obstacle.

Vladex

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
Taxi645 wrote:

A359 and 788 have the lowest span loading for any widebody out there, even when including the 77X in the comparison. How did you conclude that it's heavy for its span?

But I agree that a better engine would give it a range boost that would render the higher MTOW variants useless for most airlines.

An A350NEO would also mean a 787MAX in the making. That would make a 787-10MAX a real tough competitor for the A359, since it won't have the range advantage anymore.

Now tell me , isn't 787 ground clearance too low to install a wider engine ? It's way down there in the tires line of vision. Just like 737 , it may be compromised with the future engine installation
787-10
787-8