Noshow

Re: Getting Drunk on a Plane

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:29 pm

When you sit so close together like on a plane all the other people have to endure this slow move to intoxikation. Becoming louder, stupid jokes, lack of politeness and behavior and then the more robust states of fogging up. Please keep in mind how many people sometimes have to suffer because one guy thinks he needs a good time.

santi319

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 pm

This is the most pointless thread ever... comparing a metal tube full of fuel at 30,000 feet vs a sporting event is... a choice..

dangerhere

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 pm

I had an FR flight to Barcelona from SFX with work last month, ended up with a 3 hour delay due to bad weather in Barcelona area (tropical storm). Meant to leave at 19.40, took off at 22.45 after already de-planing and what was briefly looking like a cancelled flight. Since I already expected to be in hotel around 23.00 and hadn't eaten since that afternoon, after a while in the air had some food ordered with wine and then 2 more small bottles afterwards. All I will say is that while I'm not a nervous flier, the turbulence we hit around 30 minutes before landing made me very glad I had some wine in me :lol: The landing wasn't too bad until the last 50 feet or so and it looked very likely that one or both of the wings would be getting slammed onto the ground. Exiting the terminal, at around 2 am, I saw the palm trees at a 45 degree angle. Even if we perished, I would have seen the funny side after 3 glasses of wine :biggrin:

The point (pint :coffee: ) should be: like anywhere else, enjoy and behave yourself, don't bother anyone else and you won't find any trouble.

To be fair, the flight was pleasant despite the delays (almost entirely full of Catalans) and everyone was in good spirits. Excellent crew on Ryanair as well and can't fault them, certainly put Aer Lingus to shame these days.

Silverstreak

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 am

I've had 2 instances with drunks - both handled brilliantly by the cabin staff. The first was on a Finnair flight from JFK - Helsinki. My seat mate was going on to Warsaw and he was a little drunk when he got on. The FAs in time tried to avoid him as much s they could, but then he started to get loud and berating the airline as "it wasn't what it used to be". Meal service started and when the FA asked what the drunk guy wanted, she mentioned the 2 entrees. The pax said - "that's ALL"? She replied no. He asked what was the 3rd choice. She replied in Nordic coolness - "or you can have nothing". Priceless.

The next incident happened on a flight from Buenos Aries - MAD. The German really got blasted as he kept ordering drinks. The FA announced that they did not get all of the wines for the flight and apologized. Once again I had to get the drunk next to me! This guy opened up about his job in Brazil and how his boss no longer contacted him, etc. I thought this guy is going home to be fired! When he refused to obey the FA, they had a FO come back and took the drunk away. I was relieved when he was moved.

Noshow

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:49 am

Drunk to me means beyound behaving, uncontrolled, unable to fit in a group, just intoxinated. This is no state of mind to be onboard an airplane.

Lingon

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:23 pm

silentbob wrote:
If someone is drunk on a plane, then someone screwed up and violated an FAR. It's a violation to boar someone who appears to be intoxicated and it's also a violation to serve them enough to make them intoxicated.

But on an international flight you might have passengers who bought taxfree alcohol airside at the airport, consuming it in flight.

silentbob

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 am

zippy wrote:
In the United States in many states it's illegal for a bartender to serve an obviously intoxicated person. I'm unsure about other countries but there are similar duties of care in Australia as well. Some Korean restaurant in Sydney made the news a few months ago after getting a women falling down drunk and then leaving her on the sidewalk. That said, over the years I've had no problem getting an FA to overserve me. AC in Y and VX in F particularly come to mind.

FAs are usually more worried about a passenger getting upset and creating a scene after being cut off than they are for the problems that the passenger might cause if they were drunk. All it takes is one FA getting a letter in their personnel file for a passenger complaint and word gets around quickly.

CobaltScar

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 am

This is what I heard about drinking and flying:

1. you can't board someone on the plane who is drunk

2. if they make it on board and the FA notices they are drunk (other pax love to tell on their fellow pax they see drinking a lot at the bar near the gate by the way) they must and will be removed. And yes this does happen. Also every FA has a story about letting some nice quiet buzzed person fly, and then greatly regretted it once up in the air and they start to show their evil drunk side.

3. FA has to use their judgement when to cut you off inflight.

4. You CAN bring your own booze on the flight, but you can't self serve. If you want to drink it, you let the FA know and he/she will take the bottle and pour you your drinks.

Number 4 might vary from airline to airline, but I know for a fact some airlines #4 applies.

Just drink responsibly and there should be no issue.

DGVT

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:44 am

sixfootscream wrote:
We are all adults who should consume alcohol responsible.

Getting drunk on the plane is no issue. It only becomes an issue you when you start behaving like an idiot and cause an inconvenience to the cabin crew and fellow passengers.

Finally some common sense. Sadly in todays overregulated society we need to have a SOP for everything.

When it comes to having the freedom of getting wasted on a plane, nothing beats some backward communist country or dictatorship where alcohol consumption still is the social norm.

spacecadet

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 am

Noshow wrote:
Drunk to me means beyound behaving, uncontrolled, unable to fit in a group, just intoxinated. This is no state of mind to be onboard an airplane.

"Drunk" just means you've had enough alcohol to affect your motor skills and mood.

How you act in that state is still up to you. Being drunk is not an excuse to act like a jerk, although some seem to think it is. Probably about 50% of the entire adult world drinks to the point of feeling drunk on a regular basis. I've flown in first and business class plenty of times and a majority of the cabin definitely drinks enough to feel that way on the standard beverage offerings alone (in other words, not requesting anything beyond what's brought as part of regular service). An adult who is not an alcoholic who has a welcome glass of champagne and then a couple of glasses of wine with their meal is absolutely "drunk" already, especially on a plane at altitude where alcohol has greater effect.

Most people in that state just go to sleep. Others with a tolerance may be totally fine to watch a movie and even request another glass or two of wine. And they will continue just keeping to themselves and enjoying the flight.

A very select few will act like jerks when they've had a few drinks. 100% of the time, these are people who *are* jerks but who just don't feel comfortable acting like it until they get a few drinks inside them.

The question is whether the other 99% need to suffer for the 1% of drunk jerks. And my answer is no, because if you've paid a couple thousand bucks for a ticket, you should not be prevented from consuming alcohol simply because someone *else* does not know how to behave.

So it's really a non-issue. Alcohol isn't the problem. Jerks are the problem.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

twicearound

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 pm

silentbob wrote:
zippy wrote:
In the United States in many states it's illegal for a bartender to serve an obviously intoxicated person. I'm unsure about other countries but there are similar duties of care in Australia as well. Some Korean restaurant in Sydney made the news a few months ago after getting a women falling down drunk and then leaving her on the sidewalk. That said, over the years I've had no problem getting an FA to overserve me. AC in Y and VX in F particularly come to mind.

FAs are usually more worried about a passenger getting upset and creating a scene after being cut off than they are for the problems that the passenger might cause if they were drunk. All it takes is one FA getting a letter in their personnel file for a passenger complaint and word gets around quickly.

Incorrect. FA's are extensively trained at dealing with this type of situation, and are not "afraid" of cutting you off. First of all, legally they are required to, and if they don't they could face serious repercussions. Second, 9 out of 10 passenger complaints don't even make it across an FA's desk and even the ones that do are rarely kept in any records. Airlines are actually very wary siding with a passengers complaint.

zrs70

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 pm

For those who are writing that they drink and act fine... but then say they don’t remember giving out their phone number....

For those who are writing that when they drink, they are social and affable and have a good time with others on board....

If you had a video monitor on you and watched it, you might be surprised to see that those around you are not so thrilled.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

cincydavid

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:15 pm

I personally like having a double vodka with some sort of mixer to calm my nerves at the beginning of a flight. I might have a drink every 90-120 minutes after that to maintain my bearings.

I will confess that when we fly CVG-TPA on Delta, we tend to depart around 9am, and I am sometimes the only person on the flight ordering a double to start my day. I actually had an FA razz me once when I ordered..."ah, so we have an alcoholic in the group". I saw the humor but I suspect some people might have gotten their feelings hurt.

I don't communicate with other passengers, except my wife because I can't hear what's going on very well, so I just kind of shut down and go into my cocoon...might read, might stare out the window, but be assured I won't talk anyone's ear off.

I will admit to a pub crawl at IAH during a layover en-route to CUN...that was fun, if a little hazy.

Makes me want to fly somewhere warm and have drinks on the way.

spacecadet

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:51 am

zrs70 wrote:
For those who are writing that they drink and act fine... but then say they don’t remember giving out their phone number....

For those who are writing that when they drink, they are social and affable and have a good time with others on board....

Both straw man arguments.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

WA727

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 am

Flying domestic first, I order wine and lose track of how many times the FAs top off my glass. One can easily over imbibe rather than ordering a specific cocktail or beer which they have go back and make.

neutrino

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm

In my many hundreds of flights through the decades, I had encountered a drunk close by only once. It was on a short 2-hr hop from BKK to SIN on a TigerAir A320 maybe 10or so yrs ago. I was on my customary aisle seat whilst he was by the window, with nobody between us.
Already slightly inebriated on boarding, he kept on ordering his cans of beer after the seatbelt sign went off. After the third serving, he started behaving amorously towards the air stewardesses, holding onto her hand longer than necessary at the points of receiving his drink and paying & getting his change.
At one point, around his 5th or 6th, he even tried to touch her buttocks. Luckily for them both, I reacted in time to divert his hand away. The lady thanked me for my intervention and request that I try to restrain him from any further untoward behavior. Also fortunate that the drunk was not really abusive but just annoying.
After I read him the riot act, including the heavy punishment of ass-whipping by SIN's no-nonsense laws, he did quiet down somewhat. He still want his beer though so I "negotiated" with him that he would have to obey me if I help convince the FAs to continue selling him his poison.
He eventually had something like 8 cans but caused no major annoyances other than incessant slurred talking, in a moderate tone. He was very unsteady on his feet when we deboard but by then, my self-assumed "responsibilities" were over and was mightily glad to not see him again.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

flipdewaf

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Noshow wrote:
When you sit so close together like on a plane all the other people have to endure this slow move to intoxikation. Becoming louder, stupid jokes, lack of politeness and behavior and then the more robust states of fogging up. Please keep in mind how many people sometimes have to suffer because one guy thinks he needs a good time.
I think you'll ind that I become much funnier, much more sophisticated and also much better at handstands when I have had a few drinks and I don't even need to talk about my increase in animal magnetism :duck:

Fred

silentbob

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:16 am

twicearound wrote:
silentbob wrote:
zippy wrote:

Incorrect. FA's are extensively trained at dealing with this type of situation, and are not "afraid" of cutting you off. First of all, legally they are required to, and if they don't they could face serious repercussions. Second, 9 out of 10 passenger complaints don't even make it across an FA's desk and even the ones that do are rarely kept in any records. Airlines are actually very wary siding with a passengers complaint.

I am well aware of the regulations, as well as the way it plays out in reality at certain airlines.