dik909
Topic Author

Most Disappointing Planespotting Experience Ever..

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Okay, bear with me here, I just need some feedback on this:

For as long as I've been a plane nerd, I've never been up close to an a380 during takeoff/landing. So, when it was announced just a couple weeks ago that Emirates was upping their 1x/day to 2x/daily service to Hamburg (where I live) with an a380, I knew that my moment was approaching. ^_^ Well, after checking the winds and Flightradar24, I concluded that Runway 150/330 was the best option, so I dragged my wife and her cousin along; they were mostly amused with how excited I was about it. Planes were landing & taking off from runway 150 (south-southeast), so we parked at the end and waited. Then, departing aircraft started taking off via runway 230 (southwest), but arriving aircraft were still arriving on 150. Puzzled, I said maybe we should go to the end of 230 so we can catch it flying overhead, so we did. Then, as we're there, the bird taxies to our end, and takes off to the northeast on runway 050, with the wind !? Landing airplanes were still coming in on 150, and all other takeoffs were at 230. But not this flight..

When I realized that it would not be passing us overhead, I was at least still somewhat excited to be behind it and hear & feel the roar from the four Trent 900s. Now comes the most disappointing moment of all: The airplane starts getting smaller, and smaller, and we realized that it was taking off. Suddenly it's in the air. Not only did we not feel even a slight breeze, but we didn't hear even the engines at all, despite being just ~200 meters behind it !? I thought we'd hear at least something, but no. Not even the faintest increase in sound, or wind. Again, we were just ~200 meters behind an a380 during takeoff, and there was not the slightest audible or wind disturbance.

Granted, I wasn't expecting to be holding onto the fence to stay up, like at St. Maarten, but at least something, right ? A stiff breeze ? Maybe one or two decibels of jet sound ?? Nope. Absolutely nothing.

Like, what ? Seriously ?? WTF !? How is this even possible !?

I am absolutely nonplussed...

VSMUT

Re: Most Disappointing Planespotting Experience Ever..

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm

I feel with you. I was at the end of a runway when one of those reengined Volga-Dnepr Il-76s appeared from behind a hangar and lined up. 300 meters away, and I didn't hear a sound.