a350lover
Topic Author

Biggest hubs/for/single airline in the World

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:51 pm

In Europe, we don't have many examples comparable to the amount of planes which several hubs in the United States concentrate (the example of all of them is ATL, no doubts). I am curious for what are the biggest hubs for every airline and what's the amount of planes that overnight/concur at the same time.

Interestingly, although most of the network airlines (i.e. Air France, BA, Lufthansa, etc.) are heavily concentrate on a single (LH has two), main hub/s they don't tend to overnight in the hub, as they sit airplanes abroad for morning early departures. However, the low cost airlines which mainly operate on a turnaround basis, are the ones who sit together at one airport the largest amount of planes at night (i.e. Easyjet at LGW or Ryanair both in DUB/STN).

Any others you can think of, with figures?

SRQKEF

Re: Biggest hubs/for/single airline in the World

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:57 pm

a350lover wrote:
In Europe, we don't have many examples comparable to the amount of planes which several hubs in the United States concentrate (the example of all of them is ATL, no doubts). I am curious for what are the biggest hubs for every airline and what's the amount of planes that overnight/concur at the same time.

Interestingly, although most of the network airlines (i.e. Air France, BA, Lufthansa, etc.) are heavily concentrate on a single (LH has two), main hub/s they don't tend to overnight in the hub, as they sit airplanes abroad for morning early departures. However, the low cost airlines which mainly operate on a turnaround basis, are the ones who sit together at one airport the largest amount of planes at night (i.e. Easyjet at LGW or Ryanair both in DUB/STN).

The main reason legacy carriers sit their aircraft at outstations is to feed into the first connecting bank of the following day, while LCCs that concentrate on O&D traffic would rather avoid having to night stop their crew at an outstation with the expenses that come with it.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

SteelChair

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:03 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
a350lover wrote:

The main reason legacy carriers sit their aircraft at outstations is to feed into the first connecting bank of the following day, while LCCs that concentrate on O&D traffic would rather avoid having to night stop their crew at an outstation with the expenses that come with it.

I would add that for a large carrier it is impossible for them to overnight very many planes at their large hubs due to ramp and gate space limitations. They do have to overnight some of them at hubs for maintenance considerations though, the hub is where the best technical support resides.

a350lover
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:12 pm

So what airport ramps get to see the largest amount of planes overnight concurring? LGW sees around 50-60 EZY ACs planes. Vueling has around 50 in BCN during the peak of the summer season, and Ryanair numbers at Stansted are probably above that?

Dutchy

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:17 pm

SteelChair wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
a350lover wrote:

I would add that for a large carrier it is impossible for them to overnight very many planes at their large hubs due to ramp and gate space limitations. They do have to overnight some of them at hubs for maintenance considerations though, the hub is where the best technical support resides.

And widebodies need to be in the air overnight, for early morning arrivals. Ideally, network carriers have quite a few a/c at their main hup overnight.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

LupineChemist

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Not exactly overnight but the main bank at DXB is around 2 AM.

It's quite impressive to see all the 380s getting turned around and all the activity in the airport at that hour.

a350lover
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:49 pm

LupineChemist wrote:

It's quite impressive to see all the 380s getting turned around and all the activity in the airport at that hour.

Up to how many can be spotted together?

pdp

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Wizz Air UK’s whole fleet overnights at Luton. It’s 8 aircraft, but they’re all based there regardless.

Heathrow will look like a speedbird narrowbody car park at night.

MartijnNL

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 pm

pdp wrote:
Heathrow will look like a speedbird narrowbody car park at night.

While I don't have the actual numbers quite a few KLM 737's and KLM Cityhopper Embraers are parked at Schiphol overnight. At the same time I reckon a few dozen of them are overnighting at primary and secondary European airports, returning 'home' in the early morning. I guess this also goes for Air France, Lufthansa and a few other European airlines at their bases.

PerfectGriffin

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm

LupineChemist wrote:

There are usually around 70-80 EK aircraft parked at the terminals during their main arrival and departure banks.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:17 pm

a350lover wrote:

An interesting question! For the big European airports, I would imagine the largest amount of planes on the ground at one time would be after the North & South America flights have arrived after overnight flights but before the eastbound/other connecting traffic has departed. LH, for example, is famous for the large number of tech people flying Bangaluru to San Francisco via FRA and/or MUC, indicating there are definite "banks" for these kinds of connections. At the very least, this would be the time to go spotting if you're a wide-body spotter, because the little ones will be constantly coming and going, but the big birds congregate once or maybe twice per day.

Rdh3e

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 pm

a350lover wrote:

This is every major airline hub over 250 daily departures for the month of December 2018. The list is pretty dramatically different if you go by seats, but we're talking about flights here.

Rank, Airline, Hub, Avg Daily Departures for Dec18
    1 DL ATL 873
    2 AA DFW 723
    3 AA CLT 622
    4 UA ORD 579
    5 UA IAH 497
    6 TK IST 444
    7 AA ORD 441
    8 SU SVO 409
    9 UA DEN 404
    10 UA EWR 385
    11 LH FRA 367
    12 DL DTW 366
    13 AA PHL 351
    14 DL MSP 344
    15 AA MIA 341
    16 CA PEK 326
    17 AC YYZ 325
    18 KL AMS 318
    19 AF CDG 316
    20 BA LHR 307
    21 CZ CAN 306
    22 NH HND 297
    23 LH MUC 294
    24 AS SEA 293
    25 UA SFO 286
    26 AM MEX 258
    27 AA PHX 253
    29 EK DXB 250

lightsaber

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:57 am

Rdh3e wrote:
      a350lover wrote:

This is every major airline hub over 250 daily departures for the month of December 2018. The list is pretty dramatically different if you go by seats, but we're talking about flights here.

Rank, Airline, Hub, Avg Daily Departures for Dec18
      1 DL ATL 873
      2 AA DFW 723
      3 AA CLT 622
      4 UA ORD 579
      5 UA IAH 497
      6 TK IST 444
      7 AA ORD 441
      8 SU SVO 409
      9 UA DEN 404
      10 UA EWR 385
      11 LH FRA 367
      12 DL DTW 366
      13 AA PHL 351
      14 DL MSP 344
      15 AA MIA 341
      16 CA PEK 326
      17 AC YYZ 325
      18 KL AMS 318
      19 AF CDG 316
      20 BA LHR 307
      21 CZ CAN 306
      22 NH HND 297
      23 LH MUC 294
      24 AS SEA 293
      25 UA SFO 286
      26 AM MEX 258
      27 AA PHX 253
      29 EK DXB 250

First, thank you. The top EU is already IST! The new IST will enhance that. I did not expect SU at SVO to be #2 for the EU...

DXB barely making the list shows how impacted DXB truly is.

#20 BA at LHR shows how badly that airport needs runways. (Yes, plural.)

Lightsaber
      You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

Rdh3e

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 pm

lightsaber wrote:

If you go by seats as I mentioned the list is very different and EK DXB jumps to #2.

Why was this thread moved? This is clearly not a polls and preferences topic and moving it will prevent any meaningful discussion.

jumpjets

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:03 pm

lightsaber wrote:
      Rdh3e wrote:
        a350lover wrote:
        First, thank you. The top EU is already IST! The new IST will enhance that. I did not expect SU at SVO to be #2 for the EU...

#20 BA at LHR shows how badly that airport needs runways. (Yes, plural.)

Lightsaber

I may as well say it before someone else does, IST and SVO are of course not within the EU so the holder of the prize for EU airports would be LH at FRA. If you had said Europe as a continent then most [but not all] would accept that IST is the biggest.