mandargb
Topic Author

Announcing Connecting Flight on Arrival

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:35 am

In US, major airlines, used to announce connecting flight information, during approach into their hub.
Don't they do it any more?
When did they stop the practice?

I know in the world of internet, somethings are available at your fingertip.
But not all passengers can do it in flight, and getting an idea of connecting gate is reassuring a bit.

I am not sure if this was discussed in any other forum.

jetblueguy22

Re: Announcing Connecting Flight on Arrival

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:42 am

At least on DL there are screens that you can see that info on when deboarding. I don’t exactly think it is critical this day in age
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

QXAS

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 am

Doesn’t happen when I’m on time but when ever I’m on a delayed AS flight into SEA they’ll give updates on connections. Usually accompanied by an “If you’re continuing to XYZ fear not you are on the right plane right now”. The Tuesday before Thanksgiving when SEA had ceilings of 100 feet which caused numerous delays on every carrier we were constantly updated from the beginning of the approach all the way to the gate. Only airline I’ve ever noticed this, even on delayed flights.

stlgph

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:51 am

I'm glad this has mostly stopped. The 15-20 minutes it took for those "who just aren't good at public speaking" to stumble through a list of connecting cities was always annoying.

When you land, you have service and *plenty* of time during the taxi in and parking at the gate to log online or get on the airline's app and see what's going on. If you're not hip enough to be able to do this in the year 2019 then too bad so sad.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

alggag

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:54 am

I personally find it annoying and really only worthwhile if a significant portion of the passengers on that plane are connecting on to the same short connection outbound flight.

Longhornmaniac

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:11 am

In the smartphone era, it's completely obsolete.
Cheers,
Cameron

stl07

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:29 am

These days on AA I hear a somewhat cheeky "If you have a connecting flight, look on the monitors at the airport" at the end of each flight

BTVB6Flyer

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:34 am

It used to happen on a lot of regional flights I took back, some 5 years ago. I always just listened to see where the people on the flight were connecting to, especially the INTL connections.

seemyseems

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:35 am

I’ve had a few flights on LH and LX and the crew announced onward connections that were probably quite tight on time. DL also announced the gate for my onward flight in MCO.
seemyseems

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:42 am

mandargb wrote:
In US, major airlines, used to announce connecting flight information, during approach into their hub.

Rarely, if ever.

I remember noticing in the late 1990's.

I know in the world of internet, somethings are available at your fingertip.
But not all passengers can do it in flight, and getting an idea of connecting gate is reassuring a bit.

Many times it is printed right on the connecting flight boarding pass, and I think nowadays the general public knows to check the monitors for the latest information. Most of them will need to get their bearings anyway, so they'll also be looking for a map or directions. Give them that effectively, and they'll be fine without any announcements.

c933103

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:50 am

stlgph wrote:
I'm glad this has mostly stopped. The 15-20 minutes it took for those "who just aren't good at public speaking" to stumble through a list of connecting cities was always annoying.

When you land, you have service and *plenty* of time during the taxi in and parking at the gate to log online or get on the airline's app and see what's going on. If you're not hip enough to be able to do this in the year 2019 then too bad so sad.

But then there are still places where it is illegal to use personal electronic devices during landing until the cabin door open

hoons90

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:50 am

mandargb wrote:

The last time that I've experienced this was in April 2014, when I flew YYZ-ORD on American Eagle (Envoy). I remember this because all of the connections that were announced were domestic, except for mine (Dusseldorf). Felt a bit gratifying to hear it, actually.

Sadly AA no longer flies ORD-DUS.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

ggflyboy

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:57 am

Happened on an AS flight I was on a few weeks ago into SEA. We were about 45 minutes late.

ncflyer

Probably not many travelers know this but I often double check my gate and arrival time on the airline app, as it will work over the planes WiFi, for free.
Last edited by ncflyer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

IPFreely

Years ago it was common for a FA to read an entire list of connecting passengers destinations and gates. Followed by "some gates might have changed, be sure to check the monitors." Very often the gates on the FA's sheet had already been changed. In the era of smartphones and airline apps, announcing this in the cabin is completely obsolete. If you turn your phone on after landing, you'll usually have a text updating you on the gate and departure time for your connecting flight.

DLASFlyer

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:12 am

The modern version is Delta FAs coming through with their tablets showing individual passengers their connections.

stlgph

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:15 am

c933103 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

But then there are still places where it is illegal to use personal electronic devices during landing until the cabin door open

Womp womp.

You can hire the cast of "The Lion King" to come on board and present the information in a song and dance (lions, tigers, and bears....oh my!) but none of it matters.

2 things will happen

You'll make your connection

Or

You won't.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Ionosphere

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 am

I always found it interesting to hear where other people are going. I haven't heard that PA made in about 4-5 years. When I was a FA I always made that announcement.

CarlosSi

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 am

I actually liked hearing the connecting destinations to see where everyone else was going. One man’s journey on a flight to San Fran may end there, but another man’s journey on the same flight continues on to Taipei.

ben175

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 am

When I flew QF SYD-JNB and our flight was 2 hours late, the cabin manager read out all the connecting flights on both SA and Comair to domestic destinations that passengers would now miss, and then their replacement services. Took a very very long time as she repeated everything twice.

Exyxy

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:32 am

On aa as soon as you have a signal on landing type aa flt # I.e. aa2345 Into browser info will show up. Do,us as well

Exyxy

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:33 am

Delta and United as well

Justapax

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 am

stlgph wrote:

I remember many a flight, sitting in Row 1, and the FA asking "what is SDF? Whjat is COD". I flew there so i would tell her...

BWIAirport

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 am

Not directly related but I think relevant:

In May, I flew on a school trip BWI-ATL-EZE on DL. We were a group of about 30. Our itinerary said we had a 47 minute connection between the BWI-ATL flight and the ATL-EZE flight. Naturally, the BWI-ATL flight was delayed about 20 minutes, so we were all a little anxious about making our connection. According to Flightaware (whose gate info tends to be pretty accurate) we were supposed to arrive at the B gates at ATL. However, the FA announced upon landing that we would be parking at an E gate, where the A330 to take us to EZE was parked. She didn't give a reason for this, but we had a feeling they moved the arrival gate to accommodate our large group. Is it reasonable to assume that, or was this likely just a coincidence? And to tie it closer to the thread topic, is it common to make last-minute adjustments like this to accommodate connections?
Next flight: Jan 3 AA609 BWI-CLT A321
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 744 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

cedarjet

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Not directly related but I think relevant:

In May, I flew on a school trip BWI-ATL-EZE on DL. We were a group of about 30. Our itinerary said we had a 47 minute connection between the BWI-ATL flight and the ATL-EZE flight. Naturally, the BWI-ATL flight was delayed about 20 minutes, so we were all a little anxious about making our connection. According to Flightaware (whose gate info tends to be pretty accurate) we were supposed to arrive at the B gates at ATL. However, the FA announced upon landing that we would be parking at an E gate, where the A330 to take us to EZE was parked. She didn't give a reason for this, but we had a feeling they moved the arrival gate to accommodate our large group. Is it reasonable to assume that, or was this likely just a coincidence? And to tie it closer to the thread topic, is it common to make last-minute adjustments like this to accommodate connections?

I would say it was definitely to accommodate your group.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

MIflyer12

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:08 pm

c933103 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I can't click my heals and do a direct plane-to-plane connection - the boarding door needs to be open before I can connect.

The iPhone happened in 2007. Gate and concourse monitor got bigger, with higher resolution. Carriers - some carriers, anyway - got better at pushing info out to FA devices/gate monitors/airport monitors/apps simultaneously. A print-out given the FAs 20 minutes ago is obsolete.

compensateme

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:23 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I can't click my heals and do a direct plane-to-plane connection - the boarding door needs to be open before I can connect.

The iPhone happened in 2007. Gate and concourse monitor got bigger, with higher resolution. Carriers - some carriers, anyway - got better at pushing info out to FA devices/gate monitors/airport monitors/apps simultaneously. A print-out given the FAs 20 minutes ago is obsolete.

Happened long before the smart phone or fancy LCD displays. Instead of reading connecting flight information in flight, NW preferred its gate agents greet passengers with such information, which also allowed them to direct them to their gate or assist with IRROPS. DL quickly adapted this.
Nobody cares what your next flight is...

Wednesdayite

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Certainly not common, but still happens occasionally. Heard connection information this year on a couple of United flights into Denver.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77. CR2/7. ER145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

knope2001

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Still happens on occasion -- had it on Southwest ISP-BWI this fall.

Although I'd guess for the large majority of connecting passengers either they use other resources or they don't pay attention/forget, it still probably has some benefit. It can help people get their head in the game and offer confirmation and reassurance to nervous or less experienced fliers. And on occasion it can give a heads up to a late gate change.

But what I really like about these announcements is that they tell you where your inbound is sending connections to. Obviously it's just a sample of 1, but (for example) on my flight out of Islip several weeks ago where they announced connections I found it interesting there were a few less obvious connections (like maybe Rochester and Grand Rapids if I recall) but nobody connecting to Chicago or Atlanta.

spacecadet

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:46 am

It still happens but of course the airline knows how many passengers are connecting to different flights. They generally will only announce connecting flight info if a certain number or percentage of passengers are connecting to that flight.

In the old days, connecting flights were more common and most people shared the same one. When I used to fly NYC-SFO, for example, it was common for flights to stop at ORD for fuel reasons. So the airline would always announce the connections because a large percentage of passengers would be making the same connections. Nowadays, most people fly non-stop and if there is a connection, it's something somebody did through Kayak or whatever so it's going to be different for most passengers just based on whatever was cheapest. It's not a common connection.

I still hear connecting flight info when it's obvious that a large number of passengers would share that. But usually, they don't announce anything because everybody has different connections, or no connection nowadays.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:55 pm

c933103 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

not in the USA, where the question was asked about why US carriers no longer do it.
you can use your phone or handheld device as soon as you land in the US, and the flight attendants usually announce that.
no reason to have these annoying announcements in the US, which pretty much takes care of the OP's question

EricAY05

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Happened to me on LH couple of weeks ago. Annoying as hell! No matter what they say on the plane, I will still check my departing gate on the monitors at the airport to make sure and so should everyone else. I remember when AY's MD-11 were flying around and when landing in Helsinki they would add connecting flight information to the flight map loop on the overhead screens. Annoying as hell, as well!

vhqpa

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm

I noticed AF did it on approach to CDG, but with the crew's heavily accented English I could barely understand what was being said.

Also had a QF flight BNE-SIN that was running an hour late. There was an announcement for pax connecting on 3K to BKK that they wouldn't make their connection and had been rebooked on a TG flight.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Coal

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:02 am

SQ put relevant (e.g. relevant to pax on board) connecting flight information in the IFE 1 hour prior to landing.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-MNL-SIN | SQ SIN-BKK-SIN | DL SIN-NRT-SIN | LH SIN-MUC-SIN