Georgetown

Re: Best vacation you’ve ever been on?

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:03 am

Driving from San Diego to Los Cabos. Absolutely stunning: 1,000 miles of desert terrain surrounded by water. Lots of hidden palm oasis, tiny towns off very long dirt roads, deserted beaches. Was before many of the drug issues began to affect Baja. Would still do it now but would be more cautious. I still spend a lot of time on the east cape and haven’t had a problem.
Let's go Hoyas!

LH658

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 am

Panama for 5 days, Switzerland and France 10 days, Amsterdam 3 days, Turkey 3 days, New Zealand & Australia 15 days, Vancouver for 5 days.

passyflyer

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:50 pm

In this order:
USA California & Southwest in 2005
Japan in 2017
Hong Kong in 2001
Ireland in 2002
Kitzbühel ski holiday December 2017

Berevoff

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:52 am

I'll have to say a three week Seabourn cruise through the Mediterranean. It changed my thoughts about small boats forever...its the only way to cruise.

I took two weeks to hike the John Muir Trail and while not very physically relaxing it was one of the most pleasurable "vacations" I've ever done.

citationjet

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:13 am

Berevoff wrote:
I'll have to say a three week Seabourn cruise through the Mediterranean. It changed my thoughts about small boats forever...its the only way to cruise.

I totally agree with the small ship experience. The best cruises I have been on include the 100 pax Sea Dream Yacht Club, 150 pax Wind Star Spirit, 540 pax Silversea, 700 pax Regent Seven Seas, 980 pax Crystal Serenity, 1,200 pax Oceania Marina, and river cruises with 150 passengers. I avoid any ship that has more than 1,200 passengers. For comparison, the Royal Caribbean Oasis holds 6,780 passengers.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

whiskeyhotel

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Pretty hard to choose any particular vacation as a favorite. Some have been truly memorable and exceptional. In no particular order:

Safari in Botswana's Okavango Delta

Torres Del Paine National Park in Chile

Cradle Mountain National Park in Tasmania

Ryokan stays in Japan

Seeing polar bears and Northern Lights in Churchill, Manitoba (and getting there on a Calm Air Do 328-JET)

Bukhara and Khiva in Uzbekistan (historic Silk Road cities)

The Azores (so cheap, and so wonderfully beautiful)

Lake Atitlan in Guatemala

Lijiang Old Town/Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in Yunnan, China

Namibia's Skeleton Coast and Dune Sea

Yflyer

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:27 am

Eastern Africa, specifically Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania, in August 2016. I was between jobs at the time, and had gotten a good severance package from my old job. Since I had plenty of money, and nothing but free time, I went and booked the trip I'd always waned to take. It was spectacular! The highlights were tracking gorillas at Bwindi National Park, and the incredible diversity of wildlife in the Serengeti. And for the av geek, a flight on a C208 from Arusha to Zanzibar. I literally had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't watching a nature documentary on TV; I was actually there.

MrHMSH

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 am

For me it's got to be Vietnam, I went in 2016 on a volunteer project/cultural exchange and loved it, I went to Hanoi, Sa Pa, Ha Long Bay, Ninh Binh, Da Nang, Hue and Saigon. I loved it so much that I got a job here in 2017, and I am still here! I harbour ambitions of riding a motorbike/scooter from SGN to HAN, but I haven't found anyone crazy enough to do it with me yet! It's a beautiful country and there are so many amazing things to see.

Next trip: to Da Nang/Hoi An in 3 weeks.

devron

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:36 pm

I am on a quest to visit every country in the world and the climb the 7 summits. Nepal (Summit of Barunche), Denali, Seycelles, Maldives, Vienna all hit my favorate list.

But every place I visit with my family is just great and beat the most goreous destimations I visited alone. I start to find europe boring as I just traveled it to much.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Picture it: New York City, 1987. I was 21, and this was my first "big boy" trip I had ever taken. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but within 24 hours I was jay-walking like a native. Picked up on the vibe of the city and loved every second of it. This was back in the day when a travel agent made all the plans, and the NYC Visitors' Bureau had a booklet of all the package tours one could buy, including the hotel, one Broadway show, one dinner at Mama Leone's, Circle Line brunch cruise, and a Gray Line tour. I made damn sure, too, that I flew on a 747 to get there - TWA flight 840 LAX-JFK.

From the era before one could take pictures on their personal phones digitally, I unfortunately have next to no pictures. But I have the memories that are still as vivid as the day they happened.

I've been to Hawai'i many times, and I have a trip report here from my 2017 trip to Germany on Lufthansa in business, but that first fabulous trip will always be #1.

spacecadet

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 am

Berevoff wrote:

This is on my bucket list. I've taken three cruises so far, all on big ships (Emerald Princess, Carnival Victory and Adventure of the Seas). I loved all of them but the last one, on Adventure, convinced me that the bigger a ship gets, the more it just turns into a mega-mall. They need to use all that additional space to make money, but at a certain point, adding more passengers risks overwhelming the more popular restaurants and shows. So it seems like as ships get bigger, the natural tendency is to just make bigger retail plazas inside. I still loved that cruise but I found the design of the ship kind of off-putting. On the second day, I remember saying to my wife "this ship is just a mall." It took me a day to realize it.

Those small ships tend to be a lot more expensive, though, so my wife and I are gonna have to save up for a while...
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

directorguy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Been on so many great trips it's hard to pick just one. There is a trip that I love replaying in my mind so I'll go with that.
In September 2015 we did a Mediterranean cruise with MSC Fantasia. We flew direct into BCN and transferred to the cruise ship the same afternoon. It was a 7 night cruise and each day we got to see a new place. Marseille, Genoa, Naples, Messina (Sicily), Malta, Palma de Mallorca and back to Barcelona.
It is of course frustrating to visit a beautiful or even extraordinary place, and be forced to leave after a few hours. To do things properly, one needs time, money, and health to see things at leisure. I loved Naples- we struck a bargain with a taxi driver to see Pompeii AND do a city tour. Ate some real pizza napolitano. Had a gelato. Picked up some fantastic shirts and sweaters I still wear to this day.
Messina in Sicily was beautiful- so charming, so unassuming and the easiest to explore. As soon as we stepped off the ship, I found a quiet cafe serving coffee and cannoli. Had a lovely walk visiting random churches and taking pictures. Visited a cheese shop and were treated very warmly by the people there. The funniest thing is, I had expected Messina to be the most boring day. Instead turned out to be the best stop.
The ship itself was fantastic- cabin was brilliant with a balcony. Lots of amenities on board that I didn't make full use of. The benefit of a cruise is you remain checked in throughout your trip in one place. No packinf/unpacking and hauling suitcases up and down. Very convenient esp if you're with family.
We tend to fetishize travel- always wanting to see the real thing, the hidden gems, to not be another ugly tourist. But that takes time, money, health and energy- and not everyone has them in equal measure. A cruise ship was a great way to see so much without having to spend so much time organizing things.

spacecadet

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:00 pm

directorguy wrote:
A cruise ship was a great way to see so much without having to spend so much time organizing things.

I think people here are "getting there is half the fun" types to begin with, and cruise ships definitely fit that bill. On my first trip to SXM, I had never taken a cruise before and one of the things we did was go to Phillipsburg one day and watch the cruise ships depart (there were 5 of them there that day). And I remember feeling jealous of those people because I'd never taken a cruise, I love the water, and I love ships, but for some reason we thought it was crazy expensive. I said to my wife "someday, we'll be a couple of those people." And a couple years later, we were! Stopped at Philipsburg on our first cruise. And as we departed, I remember standing on our balcony looking at the exact spot where we sat watching the ships leave a couple years before, and making that declaration. It was a perfect circle.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!