F27500
Topic Author

Lack of Cabin Service on Piedmont/American Eagle Flight

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 pm

My partner flew on an American Eagle (Piedmont) flight this AM from Wilmington, NC (ILM) into Philadelphia (PHL).

This was the 5:59am departure on an EMB145. The flight is scheduled for approx 1:25 duration , but the airborne time was about 1:05.

There was absolutely zero attempt at any kind of cabin service by the flight attendant. She made it clear by her body language (sitting on her jumpseat on her Kindle) that she had no intention of providing a beverage service. No mention was made in the announcements of one, or that it was even available by request. She just offered -and did- nothing.

This was an early morning flight with certainly a sufficient duration to make a trip down the aisle and serve coffee and juice off the cart. Is there some rule at AA or Piedmont that a flight of this duration doesn't qualify for cabin service? Or was this just a lazy flight attendant?

It was a perfectly smooth flight, and there was no announcement of the service being suspended due to turbulence.

FAs, last I knew are still (as much as many of them hate to admit it) there to provide service as well as performing the safety aspect of their job.

I am a former FA myself (from back in the 80s working on commuter prop planes) and there is NO excuse for that BS of "not enough time" in this case. It takes very little time to pass through the cabin with a beverage cart and serve 50 pax.

Is this "legacy" service? Is it the norm at AA Eagle/Piedmont? Sad if so. The race for the bottom continues, I guess.

maps4ltd

Re: Lack of Cabin Service on Piedmont/American Eagle Flight

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 pm

No. There's usually a snack service, consisting of Biscoff and drinks on an AM flight. This was probably a one-off. I didn't get cabin service on a 1:24 blocked AA 738 from STL-ORD, but it was super bumpy due to storms and we were delayed two hours due to that weather.

They should make a pass on Piedmont flights of that length. The FA was just lazy, probably.

September11

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Most likely it was the captain's decision
Airliners.net of the Future

Jshank83

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Random question. I was on an AA (I think Trans states but not 100% sure) 145 in August and you could tell the FA had a bad attitude while everyone was boarding (The flight was something like 3 hours delayed, so I am sure that didn't help). He also was really young. It didn't help that there was a passenger that didn't listen to him while pushing back to stay in his seat and the FA threatened to kick off anyone else that got up (which I think was perfectly acceptable to announce). He did seem to get in a better mood as the flight went on. You could just tell he wasn't very experienced. But this was a long way of asking, Do FAs usually start on this type of plane as their first experience or how does it work? You would think they wouldn't get stuck on a plane as the only FA if they are new but I also figure those routes are pretty low on the totem pole. I rarely fly on 145s (this was only my 2nd time ever) so I don't really know how things work. Just looking for some background from people who know more than me.

Thanks.

TVNWZ

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Assuming the PIC did not order her to stay seated, I'd have pushed the FA call button. There for a reason.

airtran737

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 pm

F27500 wrote:
My partner flew on an American Eagle (Piedmont) flight this AM from Wilmington, NC (ILM) into Philadelphia (PHL).

This was the 5:59am departure on an EMB145. The flight is scheduled for approx 1:25 duration , but the airborne time was about 1:05.

There was absolutely zero attempt at any kind of cabin service by the flight attendant. She made it clear by her body language (sitting on her jumpseat on her Kindle) that she had no intention of providing a beverage service. No mention was made in the announcements of one, or that it was even available by request. She just offered -and did- nothing.

This was an early morning flight with certainly a sufficient duration to make a trip down the aisle and serve coffee and juice off the cart. Is there some rule at AA or Piedmont that a flight of this duration doesn't qualify for cabin service? Or was this just a lazy flight attendant?

It was a perfectly smooth flight, and there was no announcement of the service being suspended due to turbulence.

FAs, last I knew are still (as much as many of them hate to admit it) there to provide service as well as performing the safety aspect of their job.

I am a former FA myself (from back in the 80s working on commuter prop planes) and there is NO excuse for that BS of "not enough time" in this case. It takes very little time to pass through the cabin with a beverage cart and serve 50 pax.

Is this "legacy" service? Is it the norm at AA Eagle/Piedmont? Sad if so. The race for the bottom continues, I guess.

It was filed for :54 in the air. Take off ten minutes and you’re down to :44 minutes. Take of :20 more minutes for the in range and you’re down to :24 minutes. There may have been anticipated turbulence that didn’t come to fruition and the captain decided that it wasn’t worth trying to rush through it. Add in the early hour and the fact that people don’t want to be bugged at that time, and it might have been worth it to not do a service.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
No. There's usually a snack service, consisting of Biscoff and drinks on an AM flight. This was probably a one-off. I didn't get cabin service on a 1:24 blocked AA 738 from STL-ORD, but it was super bumpy due to storms and we were delayed two hours due to that weather.

They should make a pass on Piedmont flights of that length. The FA was just lazy, probably.

I’ve has service on MQ 145 flights as short as CLL-DFW. Unless there was weather or threatened weather that caused the captain to keep the f/a seated, laziness is correct.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

F27500
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 pm

September11 wrote:
Most likely it was the captain's decision

Then shouldn't an announcement to that effect have been made? Nothing was said. And there was no turbulence to use as an excuse anyway.

SyracuseAvGeek

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 pm

I was on a Piedmont operated E145 from PHL-GRR which was over two hours, we didn’t get any service at all
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

bridge29

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:18 am

I've flown PHL-MDT on Piedmont (seriously like 20 minutes in the air) several times and have at least been served biscoffs every time. Water is even occaisonally offered. YMMV.

F27500
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 am

airtran737 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

It was filed for :54 in the air. Take off ten minutes and you’re down to :44 minutes. Take of :20 more minutes for the in range and you’re down to :24 minutes. There may have been anticipated turbulence that didn’t come to fruition and the captain decided that it wasn’t worth trying to rush through it. Add in the early hour and the fact that people don’t want to be bugged at that time, and it might have been worth it to not do a service.

No -- sorry. Why then in the past was it always possible for airlines to offer cabin service on sectors even shorter than this .. on planes larger than this? It IS do-able. There should be no issue with a FA (even if godforbid- she would have had to move a little bit swiftly) offering a cart service on a leg like this. Particularly on an early flight when coffee or juice would have been welcomed.

If indeed the captain told the FA to remain seated due to turbulence in the forecast, shouldn't an announcement have been made to that effect explaining why there would be no service?

It just comes across as lazy and sloppy and yet another example of lousy service.

jman

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 am

F27500 wrote:

Maybe rather than waiting to badmouth the crew member on here, they could've gotten up off they're butt and gone to go ask for a drink if it was that big of a deal. Or maybe even press the call bell, thats what its there for, for people that are too lazy to get up and do something themselves

Cubsrule

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 am

airtran737 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

WN does full food and drink services on flights as short as 42 to 45 minutes in the air all day every day.

F27500
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 am

jman wrote:

Maybe rather than waiting to badmouth the crew member on here, they could've gotten up off they're butt and gone to go ask for a drink if it was that big of a deal. Or maybe even press the call bell, thats what its there for, for people that are too lazy to get up and do something themselves

Don't be ridiculous. Why shouldn't this FA have done a standard cabin service? Why should a pax have to go beg a FA for a beverage? It should have been offered. Beverage service IS part of a flight attendant's job description.
Last edited by F27500 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

F27500
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 am

Cubsrule wrote:
WN does full food and drink services on flights as short as 42 to 45 minutes in the air all day every day.

Absolutely! That's what motivated and professional cabin crew do! Ones who take pride in the service they give their customers. WN crew hustle .. their service is terrific.
Last edited by F27500 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvanWSFO

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 am

jman wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I flew CDG-DFW on AA this past summer. For a period of at least four hours, the FA's did not make a single pass through the cabin. A gentleman in the row ahead of me got up to approach the FA's mingling in the galley. I was close enough I could hear him ask for water for his wife who was feeling ill. He was told to return to his seat. The water appeared 30 minutes later. A paying passenger should not have to get up and approach a FA that should be doing their jobs, regardless of the stage length.

ceo@afg

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:03 am

I hope your partner complained to the airline giving flight, time and dates. It seems totally unacceptable if the norm is to serve customers on comparable flights.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." Steven McCroskey, Airplane!

questions

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:33 am

It was a combination of three things:
1. AA’s race to the bottom
2. Commuter carrier not paying jack and therefore scrapping the bottom of the candidate barrel
3. Lazy FA

I have also had full beverage service on short hops by WN and AS. The FA’s have announced that they will attempt a beverage service; they may not get to everyone; be prepared in advance to state your beverage choice; and only one beverage per passenger. When they made it through the cabin, they announced it to applause. In other words, they established reasonable explanations and had fun with it. That would not happen with a lazy FA flying for a commuter airline of AA. Doug the Drunkard would be appalled if it did.

From the FA’s and service offering perspective I don’t understand why FA’s/airlines believe a full beverage service is necessary on such short hops. Why not an abbreviated beverage service. Certainly that AA FA could have announced:

Due to the short duration of this flight I am unable to provide a full beverage service to the whole cabin. However I will come through with water and orange juice... and of course, Biscoff cookies. Thanks in advance for understanding. Again, my name is [insert]. If I can do anything else to make your flight more enjoyable please let me know.

That would have been a proactive, service-oriented FA doing her job. Instead your partner experienced a lazy FA who did the bare minimum and couldn’t be bothered with serving her passengers because her book was more important.

questions

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
I flew CDG-DFW on AA this past summer. For a period of at least four hours, the FA's did not make a single pass through the cabin. A gentleman in the row ahead of me got up to approach the FA's mingling in the galley. I was close enough I could hear him ask for water for his wife who was feeling ill. He was told to return to his seat. The water appeared 30 minutes later. A paying passenger should not have to get up and approach a FA that should be doing their jobs, regardless of the stage length.

This as opposed to hard working FA’s who pass through the cabin every half hour with water 1) to take care of their passengers (hydration is important at high altitudes and to reduce jet lag); and because they’re bored and want something to do (I’ve heard FA’s say this).

Airlines should send surveys after each flight to every passenger asking 10 questions related to basic service delivery. They can then 1) understand to what degree they are performing and 2) tie it back to FA’s working a particular flight offering remedial service training where needed. Technology can help with this. Measure the heck out of it and call out what’s working and not working... from the passengers’ perspective. This will not happen at AA as long as Doug the Drunkard is “leading” the airline.

Novaboy2525

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 am

I was on an AA/PSA flight this fall on a CRJ900 from CLT to SAV, the flight left on time and it was clear the entire duration of the flight, however as soon as we were all seated the flight attendants announced there would be no cabin service due to the quick duration of the flight. On the return flight operated by AA mainline (A319) they provided water or juice and Biscoff cookies, so maybe the regional flight attendants are a bit lazy with seeing what they can get away with?

smi0006

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38 am

F27500 wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

No -- sorry. Why then in the past was it always possible for airlines to offer cabin service on sectors even shorter than this .. on planes larger than this? It IS do-able. There should be no issue with a FA (even if godforbid- she would have had to move a little bit swiftly) offering a cart service on a leg like this. Particularly on an early flight when coffee or juice would have been welcomed.

If indeed the captain told the FA to remain seated due to turbulence in the forecast, shouldn't an announcement have been made to that effect explaining why there would be no service?

It just comes across as lazy and sloppy and yet another example of lousy service.

Agreed! As a former FA with QFLink on a Dadh-8 200 & 300 We used to do 50mins MEL-DPO/LST and do a PM snack service - hand out snack boxes, Tea run, coffee run, followed by red wine and white wine, and a show beer and soft drinks requests, we’d then do another wine run until bottles were empty and clear in. And we had no carts everything was handrun. On the Q400 they had half carts so was a lot quicker and smoother. We actually used to offer more service on Link flights than many mainline jet routes.

Yeah it was a mad rush, but was just part of the role, and pax were stunned at the service and loved it- they understood if we didn’t quiet get to them. Flights literally flew by we were so busy. I could think of nothing more boring than sitting in a jumpiest waiting for a flight to pass- and we would have been murdered if we ever pulled out a kindle or magazine. We used only ever read if it was rough and we were in the rear jumpsear out of sight, forward junpseat it was smile and chat with pax in row one. Sorry sloppy and lazy crew!

crownvic

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 am

jman wrote:
F27500 wrote:

It's jack**s responses like yours, why so many don't want to fly anymore. Yes, how about we have the entire plane get up in flight, all move forward at the same time and have the plane go into a dive, because of how you think the issue should be handled.

Sancho99504

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 am

It's interesting, I've had service on AS/QX SEA-PDX/PDX-SEA in both cabins and zero service on DL in Y. Last DL SEA-PDX flight was 3 years ago, so I don't know if it's changed, but definitely different. I've also have had/seen a full beverage service on full 757s TUL-DFW while no such luck on an ER4.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

flyingdoc787

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:52 am

I fly between Moline, IL and Chicago quite often (ERJ145; CRJ 200/700) and never know what kind of inflight service I’ll get. Published flight time is around 1 hour 5 minutes, but of course actual time up in the air is around 20-30 minutes... sometimes the FA gets up and offers water, sometimes there’s nothing at all. Obviously at least a water run can be done, if the FA so desires. I just roll my eyes when the FA says that “due to short duration of the flight, there won’t be any beverage service today”. And I’ve learned to give a compliment to FA’s who care enough to serve something...

geologyrocks

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm

jman wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Do you tell the flight crew that you actually want to take off and be flown to your destination when boarding or do you assume they’ll do their own job on their own?

PI4EVER

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:00 pm

I think this was a one off as well, because generally the Piedmont crews are known for good personable service. I've flown them on the Dash 8s out of PHL and received beverage service on every flight with exception of one that was a short BWI-PHL segment that was quite bumpy.
The majority of Piedmont people are proud of their heritage for good service, and are excited at having jet equipment in the fleet now. There have been some changes with crew bases, increased trip segments and duty hours and service expectations, but I'm not aware of a large group of disgruntled people at the carrier now. Piedmont has a solid future in the AA network as a subsidiary and will have extensive service thru the PHL and CLT hubs. Overall a good group of people and this one F/A may have let down her company and fellow employees.
I too suggest you contact Piedmont and provide flight #, date and segment flown with the passenger's name and record locator included in your correspondence. You can contact them via their corporate website "Piedmont-Airlines.com/Corporate" or via the Customer Service email link on AA.com. I would personally call or write the corporate office in Salisbury, MD.
watch what you want. you may get it.

F27500
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 pm

He did drop an email to AA Customer Service and printed & sent one to Piedmont (since their portal was acting flaky each time he went to send ... it kept rejecting .. hmmm )

Its just irritating that there can be such inconsistency in whats offered in the cabin .. and that its dictated by whether or not you are lucky enough to get a motivated crewmember .. or a lazy one with a lousy attitude.

That's what he wanted to get across. Just something for them to address, since I think some FAs feel like they can just make up their own rules and disregard the service aspect of their job (or their airline's policy on what is to be offered) when they feel no one is watching.

jman

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:57 pm

geologyrocks wrote:
jman wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Do you tell the flight crew that you actually want to take off and be flown to your destination when boarding or do you assume they’ll do their own job on their own?

I'm a FA so i prefer if someone was to come down to the galley if they want to give me rubbish or want a drink or something, rather than be annoying and press a call bell because they want they're rubbish taken away because they wouldn't give it to me when i just went through and took the rubbish from everyone else

Super80Fan

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:15 pm

questions wrote:
It was a combination of three things:
1. AA’s race to the bottom
2. Commuter carrier not paying jack and therefore scrapping the bottom of the candidate barrel
3. Lazy FA

I have also had full beverage service on short hops by WN and AS. The FA’s have announced that they will attempt a beverage service; they may not get to everyone; be prepared in advance to state your beverage choice; and only one beverage per passenger. When they made it through the cabin, they announced it to applause. In other words, they established reasonable explanations and had fun with it. That would not happen with a lazy FA flying for a commuter airline of AA. Doug the Drunkard would be appalled if it did.

From the FA’s and service offering perspective I don’t understand why FA’s/airlines believe a full beverage service is necessary on such short hops. Why not an abbreviated beverage service. Certainly that AA FA could have announced:

Due to the short duration of this flight I am unable to provide a full beverage service to the whole cabin. However I will come through with water and orange juice... and of course, Biscoff cookies. Thanks in advance for understanding. Again, my name is [insert]. If I can do anything else to make your flight more enjoyable please let me know.

That would have been a proactive, service-oriented FA doing her job. Instead your partner experienced a lazy FA who did the bare minimum and couldn’t be bothered with serving her passengers because her book was more important.

Great post, you hit the nail on the head. I've been on intra Texas flights (WN) that got full beverage service, a 20 minute Hawaiian flight where we got juice and maps, a 40 minute hop from Vancouver to Washington where we got water, and a 40 minute hop from Connecticut to PHL on a Piedmont Dash 8 where there was full beverage service. Even on a quick 40 minute AA hop from ORD to DTW we got full snack service in F and Y got free juice or water.

Unless there is predicted bad weather or the flight is 20-30 minutes long, there is absolutely no excuse.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

geologyrocks

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 pm

jman wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:
jman wrote:

I'm a FA so i prefer if someone was to come down to the galley if they want to give me rubbish or want a drink or something, rather than be annoying and press a call bell because they want they're rubbish taken away because they wouldn't give it to me when i just went through and took the rubbish from everyone else

It’s unfortunate that people expect you to do you’re job without having to ask you.

maps4ltd

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 am

crownvic wrote:
jman wrote:
F27500 wrote:

It's jack**s responses like yours, why so many don't want to fly anymore. Yes, how about we have the entire plane get up in flight, all move forward at the same time and have the plane go into a dive, because of how you think the issue should be handled.

What am I reading? "Make the plane go into a dive." This has got to be one of the dumber posts I've read.

September11

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 am

I miss the days of free hot meals along with beverage service on 45-minute flights on full DC-9 or 727 plane. Always good to see flight attendants acting extremely busy. Hard for me to understand today.
Airliners.net of the Future

Airstud

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:09 am

maps4ltd wrote:
snack

Mmmmmmmm... snack.
Pancakes are delicious.

crownvic

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:19 am

maps4ltd wrote:
crownvic wrote:
jman wrote:

What am I reading? "Make the plane go into a dive." This has got to be one of the dumber posts I've read.

Well genius, if your are on a 50 seat RJ and all 50 passengers rush to the front of the plane, yes, the plane will pitch down.

Chemist

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 am

Cubsrule wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I was just going to say this. They've done a full 737 service BUR-LAS on flights as short as 40 mins in the air. They start taking drink orders before takeoff.

That's the difference between service orientation -- and not.

maps4ltd

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:23 pm

crownvic wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Well genius, if your are on a 50 seat RJ and all 50 passengers rush to the front of the plane, yes, the plane will pitch down.

"Pitch down" and "go into a dive" are two very different things. 50 pax would not make the plane pitch down to such an extent that it would be called a "dive." That's not how planes work.

RamblinMan

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:23 pm

airtran737 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Thanks to both of you for validating my thoughts amid lots of accusations of fanboyism and AA-bashing on here.

Race to the bottom isn't continuing, I'd say it's been won. I'd sooner book Spirit than AA anymore.

:54 in the air is plenty of time for a drinks run. I've been on a LOT of WN MDW-BNA runs in my lifetime, they rarely take much more than an hour in the air. Without fail, morning flights have at least a coffee/OJ/water run, always full beverage service in the afternoons. Only route I've ever flown on DL with no drinks service is CHA-ATL, which is about 0:25 in the air (shortest mainline flight in the system, I think).

Some carriers at least act like they care about their paid customers, and others don't. It really is that simple.

maps4ltd

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Airstud wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
snack

Mmmmmmmm... snack.

And your signature is "pancakes are delicious..."

:spin:

aklrno

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Chemist wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

I was just going to say this. They've done a full 737 service BUR-LAS on flights as short as 40 mins in the air. They start taking drink orders before takeoff.

If we're going to make a contest out of this, I've gotten a drink (about half the time) on WN flights from OAK to RNO and the reverse I think the airborne time is 30 minutes more or less. The aircraft gets to flight level 230 and eastbound starts the descent before getting to the Sierra crest. You are warned to drink quickly, not sip your beverage.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:25 pm

aklrno wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

If we're going to make a contest out of this, I've gotten a drink (about half the time) on WN flights from OAK to RNO and the reverse I think the airborne time is 30 minutes more or less. The aircraft gets to flight level 230 and eastbound starts the descent before getting to the Sierra crest. You are warned to drink quickly, not sip your beverage.

That's consistent with my experience. If the time in the air is about 40 minutes or longer, they pretty consistently get the service done on smooth flights. If it's shorter, it's more hit or miss.

spacecadet

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46 am

RamblinMan wrote:
:54 in the air is plenty of time for a drinks run.

I agree, I've done SEA-PDX in the morning - on Alaska - and been specifically offered *beer* at that time of day.

If the captain decided there was going to be turbulence and a service wasn't to be offered, there should have been an announcement to that effect. These are paying customers, not cattle. Part of the ticket price is a drink/snack service.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Chemist

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 am

spacecadet wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:
:54 in the air is plenty of time for a drinks run.

I agree, I've done SEA-PDX in the morning - on Alaska - and been specifically offered *beer* at that time of day.

If the captain decided there was going to be turbulence and a service wasn't to be offered, there should have been an announcement to that effect. These are paying customers, not cattle. Part of the ticket price is a drink/snack service.

I thought you were going to say that if there was turbulence they'd offer whiskey instead.