LH658
Topic Author

Travel Reward Credit Cards

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:24 am

What is the best travel reward credit card out their? One that allows you to transfer points to different airlines? Any that have no annual fee? Looking for US credit cards, thanks.

Tenaja85

Re: Travel Reward Credit Cards

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm

My go-to is the Capital One Venture card, as I can use points on any airline or travel purchase. No annual fee. The drawback is that it doesn't provide access to lounges or some of the other perks that an AmEx card would (but most cards with perks also come with an annual fee).

jmdc861

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve without question!

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Tenaja85 wrote:
My go-to is the Capital One Venture card, as I can use points on any airline or travel purchase. No annual fee. The drawback is that it doesn't provide access to lounges or some of the other perks that an AmEx card would (but most cards with perks also come with an annual fee).

Can i transfer the points to airlines that are partnered with Capitalone? Or I can only redeem through capitalone travel page? Like with Chase sapphire Preferred & Reserved I can transfer my points to Marriott, United, BA, and other airline partners. So can I do the same with Capital One Venture Card ?

Tenaja85

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 pm

LH658 wrote:
Tenaja85 wrote:

Can i transfer the points to airlines that are partnered with Capitalone? Or I can only redeem through capitalone travel page? Like with Chase sapphire Preferred & Reserved I can transfer my points to Marriott, United, BA, and other airline partners. So can I do the same with Capital One Venture Card ?

They do provide that option; this site gives a good comparison of each card:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/capital- ... preferred/

FriscoHeavy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:59 pm

I second the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, but it does have a steep annual fee. I find the fee to be worthwhile for my wife and I, but someone else may not. We put virtually all our spend on it and I typically transfer the Ultimate Reward points to United MileagePlus once a month. However, there are a handful of airlines, hotels, etc you can transfer them to as well.

The customer service for the card has been outstanding and I've never been 'shut down' while using it abroad. Simply put, I feel very comfortable with this card in my wallet while traveling.
Whatever

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Sapphire Reserve isn't in my area. Though Sapphire Preferred seems like something, I can do. I have the Amex everyday card, though it only benefits my Delta account. I fly UA or star Alliance most of the time.

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm

I hear transferring points to BA avios, Avianca, or Alaska Airlines is good, as they you can redeem less miles for more travel. Is that true?

spacecadet

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 am

All of the good cards have an annual fee, there's no way around that. You're looking for a free lunch, and as the saying goes, there is none.

I have a Chase Sapphire card; for me it's basically useless as it has about five total airline partners and they're completely random. And even it has a fee.

The only non-fee cards worth anything are some of the airline cards, if you happen to fly that particular airline a lot. But some people do, so for them it does make sense.

I fly a few different airlines and the only card that gets me anywhere is AMEX Platinum, which has a pretty hefty fee. But when I compare its fee with the thousands of dollars I've saved on business and first class on ANA and others flying internationally, it's worth it. Plus paying for TSA Global Entry, Uber, bag fees on domestic flights, etc. But you need to be a really frequent flier, and probably an international one, for that to be worth it.

So I guess the main point is that you need to look at the airlines you fly, or are willing and able to limit yourself to in the future, and figure out what card(s) work with them. If you can do that with a single airline, then go for their card. Otherwise, it's unlikely you're going to find one without a fee.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

DesertAir

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm

For the last 10 years I have been flying monthly between SAN y SMF. WN has frequent daily service so the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Card is right for me. Double miles on WN and partner purchases. UA and AA have connecting service in LAX and AS has only 3 flights a day. I began with the Chase Southwest Card when I moved to Tucson for work. I needed to travel between TUS and SMF frequently for family and business. WN provided that best connecting service, much better than the former AW.
If you jump around to different airline, the Capital One sounds like a bet, but if you fly one particular route, it is better to accumulate on one airline for increased benefits.

fbgdavidson

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

I have:
-AMEX Platinum Card - 5x Membership Rewards on all airline purchases is huge. Plus a ton of partners and plentiful transfer bonuses
-British Airways Chase Visa - 10% off all BA transatlantic fares
-American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Mastercard - This was my primary card before AMEX Platinum went to 5x MR on airline purchases. I use this rarely now but Barclays keep waiving the annual fee.

As others have said you're going to pay an annual fee somewhere if you want even half decent rewards. As long as you aren't paying interest and are running even a few thousand a month through your account the rewards will easily cover your annual fee. In my case the effective fee on the Amex Platinum Card is way lower because of the airline credit and Uber credits alone. When you factor in other things such as Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits*, Saks shopping credits, etc. and in some years the true savings have covered my annual fee 10x over.

(*I shall concede on most hotel stays I use a Virtuoso agent which is free and offers near identical Amex FHR benefits but not all hotels are in both Virtuoso and Amex FHR.)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

invertalon

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 pm

I have the Southwest Credit card and it has been phenomenal. First with the 50,000 sign up bonus if you spend the $2,000 or whatever in three months, then I got a few referrals at 10K a piece… I had just around 100K points within a few months of having the card. My last three flights (Nashville, San Francisco and San Diego) for two from CLE have all been free, and I still have some 40K+ in my account to use. Girlfriend got the card as well and she has some 60-70K in her account too. So we probably won’t pay for a domestic flight for the next two years, honestly. Always building up more as I basically charge everything on it now. I pay off my balance in full on all my credit cards every month, so I can care less about interest rates or what they are.

Rental cars through southwest.com typically offer lower fares than I have seen on any travel site or direct via rental car website, and earn some decent points. I think a 5 day car rental got me like 2,500 points via southwest and the credit card, for example, for a $200 rental. Hotels are great too sometimes in terms of the points offered through the website.

Considering SWA is who we fly with domestic practically every time, I find it a fantastic value. $69 annual fee, but you get the 3500 points or whatever at renewal with that… So it’s a wash. By my girlfriend and I signing up for this card and doing some friend referrals at 10K a pop, we basically got 3 years of domestic travel free, doesn't get much better! (we fly 3 times a year or so).

B747forever

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Agree with the above. The SWA CC is pretty good. Signed up for it last year when they had a special promotion for California residents where you got the usual sign up bonus points and on top of that they offered a companion pass for a full year! Have had a blast using that this year flying all over the country with family members.
Work Hard, Fly Right

hawaiian717

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:12 am

Tenaja85 wrote:

If you have a no annual fee Venture card, you actually have VentureOne. Both cards are pretty awful.

Venture points are basically just cash back that you can only redeem against travel purchases. One Venture point is worth 1 cent. Venture gives 2 points per dollar with a $95 annual fee. Basically the same earning rate as the no annual fee Citi Double Cash.

VentureOne gives 1.25 points per dollar with no annual fee. I don’t understand why anyone would want this card over Capital One’s own Quicksilver card which is 1.5% cash back with no annual fee.

Tenaja85

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:53 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
Tenaja85 wrote:

If you have a no annual fee Venture card, you actually have VentureOne. Both cards are pretty awful.

Venture points are basically just cash back that you can only redeem against travel purchases. One Venture point is worth 1 cent. Venture gives 2 points per dollar with a $95 annual fee. Basically the same earning rate as the no annual fee Citi Double Cash.

VentureOne gives 1.25 points per dollar with no annual fee. I don’t understand why anyone would want this card over Capital One’s own Quicksilver card which is 1.5% cash back with no annual fee.

No, you just call each year and have them waive the fee. That's what I've done for years. Which is best depends on a lot of factors; for my patterns the Venture card is better than the Quicksilver card. To each his own.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-capit ... redit-card

FlyHappy

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:58 am

cardinal rule:
if you spend less than 2k /mo on cards, you're not gonna get much in the way of benefit from any card beyond the 1.5% cash back that you can get anywhere.
beyond that threshold, you are leaving money on the table by not getting one of the many $95/year cards from nearly everyone, who reward 2% or more (be it cash or points of some kind).. Edit: Citi Double Cash, as mentioned above - there's your answer for no annual fee and 2% back.

personal opinion - chasing "more travel for fewer FF points" is a foolish venture unless your travel is so flexible that you can take the promo dates offered AND you have very high spend.

if you have high spending (business?) you have so many ways to be rewarded, particularly leveraging the multipliers that many offer - 2x to 5x for spending on specific categories, specific merchants, using mobile pay, etc. That's ignoring the massive one-time bonus/sign up offers that these banks have to lure your business.

Coal

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 am

UOB Prvi miles. 2.4 points per S$ spent overseas is, as far as I know, the highest.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-MNL-SIN | SQ SIN-BKK-SIN | DL SIN-NRT-SIN | LH SIN-MUC-SIN

N174UA

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:19 pm

For me, it's the Delta AMEX Reserve card. I initially started with the Platinum card two years ago, but upgraded with a recent offer. I fly Delta exclusively, so along with having Silver Medallion status with them, this card is a great way to avoid fees, enjoy the lounges when my layover is an hour or more, get discounts/rebates on certain offers through Amex, and of course the bonus miles. I already get double miles when i use it to buy airfare through Delta, plus 5x more. That goes up when/if I reach higher Medallion levels.

The fee on the Platinum card was $195, but if you spend something like $3,000 in the first 3 months, that gets waived your first year. The reserve card is much more ($495), but that is offset by not having to pay $29 each time for the lounge, plus discounts that Amex offers on a wide variety of vendors, among other benefits also provided, like higher priority for upgrades, etc.. I put just about everything I spend on this card and pay it off each month, and for a year, that's about $25k. Delta's Reserve Card program with AMEX is that if you spend $25k, they waive the dollar spend requirement to reach Medallion status. For $30k, you get 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 "MQM"s towards Medallion status. If you use it enough and your spend reaches $60k for the year, you would get an additional 15,000 miles and 15,000 MQMs.

As I think another poster said, it really comes down to how often you travel, what airline you travel the most with, and what your typical spend is. Once you've determined that, I would combine it with an airline loyalty program like Mileage Plus, Medallion, etc., and concentrate your travel on just that airline, if possible.

B747forever

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:50 pm

N174UA wrote:
For me, it's the Delta AMEX Reserve card. I initially started with the Platinum card two years ago, but upgraded with a recent offer. I fly Delta exclusively, so along with having Silver Medallion status with them, this card is a great way to avoid fees, enjoy the lounges when my layover is an hour or more, get discounts/rebates on certain offers through Amex, and of course the bonus miles. I already get double miles when i use it to buy airfare through Delta, plus 5x more. That goes up when/if I reach higher Medallion levels.

The fee on the Platinum card was $195, but if you spend something like $3,000 in the first 3 months, that gets waived your first year. The reserve card is much more ($495), but that is offset by not having to pay $29 each time for the lounge, plus discounts that Amex offers on a wide variety of vendors, among other benefits also provided, like higher priority for upgrades, etc.. I put just about everything I spend on this card and pay it off each month, and for a year, that's about $25k. Delta's Reserve Card program with AMEX is that if you spend $25k, they waive the dollar spend requirement to reach Medallion status. For $30k, you get 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 "MQM"s towards Medallion status. If you use it enough and your spend reaches $60k for the year, you would get an additional 15,000 miles and 15,000 MQMs.

As I think another poster said, it really comes down to how often you travel, what airline you travel the most with, and what your typical spend is. Once you've determined that, I would combine it with an airline loyalty program like Mileage Plus, Medallion, etc., and concentrate your travel on just that airline, if possible.

The problem with any DL credit card is that you collect skypesos. DL is known for their horrible rewards program when it comes to using miles for tickets, especially in long haul premium cabins.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LTU932

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:57 pm

I'd probably get a Copa Connectmiles Visa card because I just love Copa Airlines. The only problem is that I'd have to sign a contract with Credomatic and I'm very hesitant about that.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LH658
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:40 am

Just got this offer today: Earn up to 75,000 bonus miles with the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card. Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in eligible purchases with your new Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership, and earn an additional 25,000 bonus miles after spending an additional $1,000 within your first 6 months.2 And remember, your miles don’t expire!

Just got that in a email today ^ though, I did hear Delta redemption sucks, compare to UA. I know a lot of people use Delta miles to partially pay for their flights. So if the flight is $400, you can use 10000 miles, only pay $300.

Is this offer worth it? It seems worth it, 75k miles for only $3,000 spent within 6 months. 75000 miles means, $750 dollars since, 10000 miles = $100.

LupineChemist

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
I second the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, but it does have a steep annual fee. I find the fee to be worthwhile for my wife and I, but someone else may not. We put virtually all our spend on it and I typically transfer the Ultimate Reward points to United MileagePlus once a month. However, there are a handful of airlines, hotels, etc you can transfer them to as well.

The customer service for the card has been outstanding and I've never been 'shut down' while using it abroad. Simply put, I feel very comfortable with this card in my wallet while traveling.

I will say that the fee really isn't that bad when you take into account the travel credit and extra earning. It's around $3700 of travel spend a year for it to make sense vs the CSP and that's taking into account zero value from the priority pass membership which can easily make up for the difference in one sitting with a couple friends.

einsteinboricua

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm

I have:
-Gold Delta SkyMiles (only keeping it active because it's my oldest card)
-UA Chase Mileage Plus (pretty much my everyday card)
-AA Red Aviator (use it for big purchases)

I've thought about closing the Chase and Red Aviator and getting the Sapphire Preferred but I don't travel that much to make use of its features. Besides, I like the priority boarding and free bag allowance that each card gives me.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

FlyHappy

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 pm

LH658 wrote:
Just got this offer today: Earn up to 75,000 bonus miles with the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card. Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in eligible purchases with your new Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership, and earn an additional 25,000 bonus miles after spending an additional $1,000 within your first 6 months.2 And remember, your miles don’t expire!

Just got that in a email today ^ though, I did hear Delta redemption sucks, compare to UA. I know a lot of people use Delta miles to partially pay for their flights. So if the flight is $400, you can use 10000 miles, only pay $300.

Is this offer worth it? It seems worth it, 75k miles for only $3,000 spent within 6 months. 75000 miles means, $750 dollars since, 10000 miles = $100.

there's no pat answer - it is worth it to you? only you can decide that -
But, you seems to be all over the board... you said you fly Star Alliance, that you want points transfer, and no annual fee. This branded Amex card gives you absolutely none of those things.....

LH658
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
LH658 wrote:

But, you seems to be all over the board... you said you fly Star Alliance, that you want points transfer, and no annual fee. This branded Amex card gives you absolutely none of those things.....

It a lot of miles, it seem worth it, for such low spending value compared to the United card. Wouldn't mind just using the miles, to spend on trips or using points, and paying the rest cash.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:24 pm

LH658 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
LH658 wrote:

It a lot of miles, it seem worth it, for such low spending value compared to the United card. Wouldn't mind just using the miles, to spend on trips or using points, and paying the rest cash.

You can't just look at the overall number of points, but rather the value of those points. Delta points are very hard to use, while United are pretty darn easy to use (at the cheapest redemption level). I'm not saying not to get the Delta card, but just make sure you are making an appropriate decision.
Whatever

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:56 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
LH658 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

You can't just look at the overall number of points, but rather the value of those points. Delta points are very hard to use, while United are pretty darn easy to use (at the cheapest redemption level). I'm not saying not to get the Delta card, but just make sure you are making an appropriate decision.

How is Delta points hard to use? You just pay with points and pay with fee, points usage fluctuate depending on day of travel. Am I right or wrong?

FlyHappy

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:22 am

LH658 wrote:

How is Delta points hard to use? You just pay with points and pay with fee, points usage fluctuate depending on day of travel. Am I right or wrong?

Delta's point redemption do not map directly of point = dollar value in a fixed way. They are much, much more crafty than that. I'll leave it to someone else to give a dissertation on it, but I'd suggest you carefully check sample itineraries for the kind of travel you do on their website, and compare points required vs cash price to gain an understanding.

hawaiian717

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:23 am

hawaiian717 wrote:

Updating this. As of today, Venture and VentureOne miles are transferable to 14 different airline programs (none in the US) at a rate of 2 Venture miles to 1.5 airline miles for most programs.

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:45 am

FlyHappy wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Delta's point redemption do not map directly of point = dollar value in a fixed way. They are much, much more crafty than that. I'll leave it to someone else to give a dissertation on it, but I'd suggest you carefully check sample itineraries for the kind of travel you do on their website, and compare points required vs cash price to gain an understanding.

I looked up some random flights during off season you can find flights to UIO for 25,000 points or 9000 points to LAX or even to OTP at 66,000 or FRA at 40,000. ICN at 50,000, YYC at 22,000 It all just varies, this was all round trip.

Obviously traveling during the weekends or let say holiday times it will cost you more miles etc.

Any input?

bagoldex

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

The Chase Sapphire Preferred seems to be considered the best entry-level travel-oriented card but asking what the best travel credit card is is like asking what the best type of food is. You’d probably have much better luck posting at Flyertalk but there are so many variables in people's travel and spending habits that the only way to know what is best for you is to do your own research, evaluate the additional perks associated with a particular card, come up with a realistic monthly spend estimate and figure out what makes the most sense for your circumstances.
Last edited by bagoldex on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyHappy

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:09 pm

LH658 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
LH658 wrote:

I looked up some random flights during off season you can find flights to UIO for 25,000 points or 9000 points to LAX or even to OTP at 66,000 or FRA at 40,000. ICN at 50,000, YYC at 22,000 It all just varies, this was all round trip.

Obviously traveling during the weekends or let say holiday times it will cost you more miles etc.

Any input?

whatever works for you is what's important.
I'll admit I'm fascinated as to where your origination is that would allow you to both fly to Quito and LAX for 25k and 9k Delta miles, respectively.
I fly DL more than other carriers, and I find it fairly difficult to redeem miles at reasonable value.

Happy Travels!

FriscoHeavy

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:11 pm

LH658 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Any input?

Look brutha, if you aren't going to get a card with an annual fee, it's probably not worth it. Delta miles are known as 'skypesos' are 'worth' much less than some other program due to the difficulty in redeeming for the cheapest award. If you are extremely flexible, then it may work for you, but most people aren't completely flexible to the degree it seems you are.

If you like Delta, then go for it. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole. Give me United, Southwest or American Miles any day of the week.
Whatever

LH658
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:16 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
LH658 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Any input?

whatever works for you is what's important.
I'll admit I'm fascinated as to where your origination is that would allow you to both fly to Quito and LAX for 25k and 9k Delta miles, respectively.
I fly DL more than other carriers, and I find it fairly difficult to redeem miles at reasonable value.

Happy Travels!

I just searched from the regular, destination search and selected miles only, I am searching from AUS & IAH. This was round trip during off season, I thought maybe these are the one way prices, but no I was wrong it the round trip prices, I was looking. According to some Travel Bloggers like TPG etc, they say Delta redemption aren't all that though you have to check different days etc, cause it varies. Though I mean I thought it decent offer of 75k miles for spending $3,000 within the first 6 months, was just thinking to use the miles for trips, or to deduct off of trip prices.