Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Obzerva
Topic Author

The most disconnected Alliance member?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 am

After several years of no alliance activity, there seems to be a lot of talk about alliances and membership recently which lead me to wonder, who is the most disconnected member of an alliance?

Who has the least interaction, code shares, or routes to other members hubs?

The disconnection may not be a bad thing, they could be in the alliance because of the fact that the rest of the alliance doesn’t serve the area, so they need that particular member to help fill the gap.

I’m thinking for oneworld it’s probably S7?

Not sure on the other alliances.

Kashmon

Re: The most disconnected Alliance member?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:41 am

cathay is the sluttiest alliance member.... esp for a founding member.....

seabosdca

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:52 am

SQ likes to pretend Star Alliance doesn't exist.

xiaotung

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 am

In terms of FFP earn/burn, NZ wins hands down.

TheEuphorian

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

In terms of geographical position: GA(Skyteam)

BREECH

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Obzerva wrote:

Based on what criteria do you make such a conclusion?
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

FlyingSicilian

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm

For the Value Alliance, I would say Nok based on my recent travels and connections with them. They did not play well Cebu on a long connecting ticket but YMMV.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

chonetsao

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Kashmon wrote:

I am sure Qantas tops that. Emirates, el Al, Alitalia, Air France, Air New Zealand, several pacific airlines, SAA, Jet Airways, Westjet, China Eastern and China Southern...codeshares also include a Taiwanese and a Korean airline, Kenya Airways etc.

dtw2hyd

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Generally, a founding member who got into an extra/intra-alliance JV affair.
All posts are just opinions.

eta unknown

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Funny I was going to say S7 too- I don't know what benefit they are receiving as most if their network is domestic.

With regards to the NZ comment above- U thought their earn rate was an outlier in being particularly bad.

LH748

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

In Skyteam it's either GA or SV
In OW it's definitely S7 (I still don't know why they dropped the nice Siberia name for the IATA code as a name)
In Star I would say it's BR
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

J343

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:54 pm

In oneworld, I would say MH and RJ. There are lots saying CX is not committed to oneworld but I think they have harmonious relationship with their fellow oneworld alliance partners. They may not have a JV or JSA with AA but they have extensive codesharing between flights from HKG and their US gateways. Frankly, I am surprised that AA put its code on their new HKD-IAD flights and put CX code on AA flights from DFW-HKG and LAX-HKG. They also have extensive codesharing with Japan Airlines.

raylee67

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 pm

J343 wrote:
In oneworld, I would say MH and RJ. There are lots saying CX is not committed to oneworld but I think they have harmonious relationship with their fellow oneworld alliance partners. They may not have a JV or JSA with AA but they have extensive codesharing between flights from HKG and their US gateways. Frankly, I am surprised that AA put its code on their new HKD-IAD flights and put CX code on AA flights from DFW-HKG and LAX-HKG. They also have extensive codesharing with Japan Airlines.

Besides AA and JAL, CX has extensive code-sharing with BA too, in Europe and in South Africa. It also code-share with LA to major points in South America thru SYD, LAX and JFK. Its code is also on S7's flights from Russian Far East to HKG. Although it used to have icy relationship with QF, now it also code-share with QF. It even tried to make it work with QR, establishing code-share service to eastern and southern Europe via DOH, when QR joined OW, but that did not work out. Not forming JV with partners doesn't make it "disconnected". Many alliance members to do form JVs with each other.

For OW, what about SriLankan? It doesn't even fly to the home base of most of the other OW members.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Ziyulu

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 pm

CZ in SkyTeam. They want out now.

xxcr

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm

For Star Alliance, i wanna say SQ is on the bottom. Its extremely hard to use miles to book award tickets through UA, AC, LH..... Even when it comes to buying a seat through a Star alliance carrier.
I still love them though lol!

blooc350

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:54 pm

SQ- I mean, they're the only member who doesnt paint their SA planes like the rest. Dont know any other airline that could get away with that unless its the coveted SQ brand.

Current SA livery

Old SA livery

J343

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

raylee67 wrote:
J343 wrote:

Besides AA and JAL, CX has extensive code-sharing with BA too, in Europe and in South Africa. It also code-share with LA to major points in South America thru SYD, LAX and JFK. Its code is also on S7's flights from Russian Far East to HKG. Although it used to have icy relationship with QF, now it also code-share with QF. It even tried to make it work with QR, establishing code-share service to eastern and southern Europe via DOH, when QR joined OW, but that did not work out. Not forming JV with partners doesn't make it "disconnected". Many alliance members to do form JVs with each other.

For OW, what about SriLankan? It doesn't even fly to the home base of most of the other OW members.

Yes I forgot to mention BA and LA/JJ. More recently QF and IB, at one point CX had a JV with QR for HKG-DOH but if I remember correctly, QR's plane were filled more than CX's. I genuinely don't think CX is disconnected from oneworld. As an example, when it comes to FF benefits, oneworld elite ff flying on CX a flight automatically gets preferred seating i.e exit row or extra legroom seats for free even when I was only Ruby through BA. MH is notorious for this, regardless of status, you still have to pay for advanced seat reservation.

In Star Alliance, I would say SQ is disconnected from the Alliance

Obzerva
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:44 pm

BREECH wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Based on what criteria do you make such a conclusion?

I was thinking as ETA Unknown posted because as a ratio of domestic to international flying goes, S7 doesn’t seem to interact a lot with other members hubs. That’s also why I indicated in my opening post that it’s probably the reason they were also invited so they call fill the large gap that is Russia in the network.
UL and RJ could also be argued, especially UL which seems to be a proxy way to India after the Kingfisher membership was aborted at the last second.

For those mentioning SQ for Star, another factor I’d add to that case would be the fact that most a lot of carriers include their regional carriers in the membership, however currently MI is excluded. Not sure if that is going to change when the MI brand gets dropped and it all becomes SQ (I’d imagine it would change but this is SQ...)

Obzerva
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

I am sure Qantas tops that. Emirates, el Al, Alitalia, Air France, Air New Zealand, several pacific airlines, SAA, Jet Airways, Westjet, China Eastern and China Southern...codeshares also include a Taiwanese and a Korean airline, Kenya Airways etc.

QF no longer codeshare with SA or AZ, they both codeshare with VA now. But yes, QF do like to play with others. Pretty sure you can KLM to your list now too.
They also the absolute minimum with painting the alliance livery on their planes, the 70+ 737s form the backbone of their fleet and fly to the most number of airports, and none in the alliance livery. Instead it’s one A330 and a 747, so rarely seen by most ports.

eamondzhang

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:41 am

chonetsao wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

QF however enjoys quite a good relationship with AA, BA, AY, JAL (won't be that bad as they have a JV together with Jetstar Japan) to name a few. (QF no longer has much relationship with AZ and SAA anymore).

SQ also at least enjoys good relationship with LH group, NH and has a JV with NZ (and even improving their relationship with UA).

Try to find some good partners within the alliance for CX.

Michael

zkncj

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 am

NZ used to be pretty bad (although they have just broken up with VA, but replaced that with QF).

They have an pretty tight partnership with CX on AKL-HKG, then of course they are friends with FJ,TN,VS. Also they website is happy to book you onto AF,KL,VS,BA etc between Europe and Asia.