vaughanparry
Topic Author

Help needed finding aircraft flown on in '90s and '00s

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Greetings all. I'm trying to discover which aircraft operated flights that I took in the US in the '90s and '00s. For example, where might I find out which specific DL 757 took me from PHL to ATL in April 2004? While http://www.lhr-lgw.co.uk is proving a goldmine for flights to/from the UK, I was wondering if there were anything similar for the US? Do feel free - politely! - to direct me to any existing threads on this topic (I've had very little success with Google). Ta!

stburke

Re: Help needed finding aircraft flown on in '90s and '00s

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Go here: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/DL_Select ... ble_ID=236

Select "prezipped file"

Select month and Year

Open file with Excel (it's yuge - might take a while)

Filter by date, carrier, and route

You should have a list of all the N numbers - it does not show the aircraft type, however. So you'll have to cross check that.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

stburke wrote:
Go here: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/DL_Select ... ble_ID=236

Select "prezipped file"

Select month and Year

Open file with Excel (it's yuge - might take a while)

Filter by date, carrier, and route

You should have a list of all the N numbers - it does not show the aircraft type, however. So you'll have to cross check that.

Agreed to the validity of the source. Here's a variation on the above instructions:

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/ONTIME/

Click on either "departures" or "arrivals" in the list under "Detailed Statistics"

On the next page, immediately click on "all statistics", so you get everything.

Choose Philadelphia or Atlanta (one or the other, depending on whether you are doing arrivals or departures). Then choose your airline, and the date. You should find your airplane from that!

An important note: no N-numbers are available before January 1, 1995. I got REALLY excited when I saw more detail had been added to their database, going back to 1987, but alas, the N-numbers are lost to history.

vaughanparry
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Great work, guys! Sincere thanks to you both for such prompt and helpful replies. Several missing registrations now found with more to come, no doubt, when I can back come back to this tomorrow.
Have a great evening
VP

casvv

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:55 am

After reading this forum for many years as an avid reader, I have always been happy to just read. This topic has finally made me create an account and respond! This is amazing, I have been keeping track of all the flights I've ever flown but I'm missing a couple of airplane registrations for my first few flights. These flights are to and from the US, but the website you've provided seems to be within the US only. Is there also data available for flights into and out of the US?

Also, is there similar data available for flights within Europe?

BritishB747

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

casvv wrote:
After reading this forum for many years as an avid reader, I have always been happy to just read. This topic has finally made me create an account and respond! This is amazing, I have been keeping track of all the flights I've ever flown but I'm missing a couple of airplane registrations for my first few flights. These flights are to and from the US, but the website you've provided seems to be within the US only. Is there also data available for flights into and out of the US?

This is also a problem I have been struggling with. I have been looking for a number of flights from the 90's/00's in Europe, and the LHR-LGW site was very useful for getting information on the British Midland flights I took to Heathrow many years ago. However, it seems that such a resource does not exist for airports outside of London.

The only method I have been able to use is to figure out is by looking at old poor quality photographs that I took when I flew. I've managed to figure out that I flew on G-LSAD with Jet2 as it used to be in an all white scheme in 2007, and I have a photo descending the stairs at FAO from a white Jet2 752. This isn't fool proof however, as I have a photo at GLA of a Spanair MD-80 and an Air 2000 757. I know I have flown on both, but cant remember what I was flying on that time.

If you have the dates, type of aircraft, airline and destination you flew then you could always try the Plane Logger site. People record their flights, and some even record their sightings. It is a very long shot but you might find something there of use. It would be a very long process though.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3

HeyTK

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm

casvv wrote:

https://planefinder.net/ has helped me find a number of flights from a few years back. Just click Map and then Playback and also put in a filter to narrow down to the exact flight.