FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

35 Minute Connection at ADD

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Hello,

Beginning to look at some flight options from DFW-CPT. One of the options that comes up frequently is a connection in ADD (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) that is only about 35 minutes. Now, I understand this is a legal connection for them, but how do they pull this off? I wouldn't mind trying Ethiopian Airlines, but I would feel very uncomfortable with such a short connection.

You'd have to get off the plane and I presume go through security in ADD before reaching your next departure gate? Anyway, does anyone have any insights as to how often these connections are missed and if so, how they go about handling it?

Thanks
Whatever
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2289
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: 35 Minute Connection at ADD

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Hello,

Beginning to look at some flight options from DFW-CPT. One of the options that comes up frequently is a connection in ADD (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) that is only about 35 minutes. Now, I understand this is a legal connection for them, but how do they pull this off? I wouldn't mind trying Ethiopian Airlines, but I would feel very uncomfortable with such a short connection.

You'd have to get off the plane and I presume go through security in ADD before reaching your next departure gate? Anyway, does anyone have any insights as to how often these connections are missed and if so, how they go about handling it?

Thanks

Not sure why you’d need to go through security again? Seems possible though. I had a 2hr + connection yesterday in AMS but was able to walk to the correct gate in about 15minutes from getting off the first plane.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
LH658
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: 35 Minute Connection at ADD

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 am

Good luck 35 mins at Bole is a no no, maybe at Tulsa airport lol. ADD airport is over capacity. I suggest you get 2 hr connection incase of any delays etc.
 
debonair
Posts: 3235
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: 35 Minute Connection at ADD

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm

As I said, I am not a big fan of ET - especially their poor customer service!
But, one thing ET stands out is the arrival service at ADD! ET is providing pick up straight at the a/c in different groups, also for passengers with minimum connection. Had once the pleasure to be escorted off the a/c straight to my next gate.
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: 35 Minute Connection at ADD

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:50 pm

debonair wrote:
As I said, I am not a big fan of ET - especially their poor customer service!
But, one thing ET stands out is the arrival service at ADD! ET is providing pick up straight at the a/c in different groups, also for passengers with minimum connection. Had once the pleasure to be escorted off the a/c straight to my next gate.



Great information. Thanks for sharing that. So it sounds like they have the short connection down and plan accordingly for it (escort passengers directly to the next plane, etc).

This part make me feel a bit better. I wasn't sure if there were 'formalities' that needed to be taken care of in the terminal with immigration/security, etc.

Sincerely,
Whatever
 
LGAviation
Posts: 806
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: 35 Minute Connection at ADD

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
debonair wrote:
As I said, I am not a big fan of ET - especially their poor customer service!
But, one thing ET stands out is the arrival service at ADD! ET is providing pick up straight at the a/c in different groups, also for passengers with minimum connection. Had once the pleasure to be escorted off the a/c straight to my next gate.



Great information. Thanks for sharing that. So it sounds like they have the short connection down and plan accordingly for it (escort passengers directly to the next plane, etc).

This part make me feel a bit better. I wasn't sure if there were 'formalities' that needed to be taken care of in the terminal with immigration/security, etc.

Sincerely,


There definitely are no immigration checks in Addis. As for security, in my memory that depends on your destination and I remember that to be mostly the case for my Africa to Europe flights and not the other way around. I think it's more likely than not that you'll be fine but you have to keep in mind that service down to CPT is once a day and if you miss it you're either in for a 24 hrs wait or a connection via JNB on SA depending on how helpful ET staff want to be on the day.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos