Page 1 of 1

BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:53 pm
by ExpatVet
So, boss booked my flights for a trip in January (I asked for a different itinerary with a longer connection, but there you go) - in a nutshell, what are my chances? Flying LH.

Thanks in advance!

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
by steveinbc
My personal opinion. At FRA you will never do it.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:24 am
by masi1157
Of course he will. It is LH I assume?


Gruß, masi1157

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 pm
by EricAY05
A couple of weeks ago I had a similar 65min connection and even had time to enjoy the lounge for about 25min. On the outbound journey I had 55min and (unfortunately) made it just barely after the first flight was a little late. Would have loved to receive compensation and spend some time in the lounge.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm
by PatrickZ80
That's a tight connection. If all flights are on time, you should be able to make it. However if the first flight is delayed, good chance you'll miss your connection.

An alternative might be a direct flight on Ryanair to Treviso (there are no direct flights from Budapest to Venice, this is the closest available). You could suggest this to your boss. From Treviso airport there is a direct bus connection to Venice. Since Ryanair is most likely cheaper than Lufthansa your boss will be glad since it will save him money.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 pm
by LTU932
It could be doable since it is a Schengen flight, but I wouldn't bet on it. Get at least 90 minutes of connection.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:24 am
by upperdeckfan
I connect through FRA a lot and if BUD-FRA is on time you should make it. As both flights are schengen you just have to walk from one gate to the other. Gates are normally open until 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

To be more relaxed I hope you don't get a remote stand in FRA, then you might have to run off the bus.

Final note, try to get a seat as forward as posible, it could be up to a 10-minute advantage to deplane.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 am
by debonair
ExpatVet wrote:
So, boss booked my flights for a trip in January (I asked for a different itinerary with a longer connection, but there you go) - in a nutshell, what are my chances? Flying LH.


If you miss your flight due to a delay which is not out of control for LH, you might be entitled for full compensation under EU law. If so, you can invite your boss for a beer for booking this tight connection! :highfive:

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm
by ExpatVet
PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's a tight connection. If all flights are on time, you should be able to make it. However if the first flight is delayed, good chance you'll miss your connection.

An alternative might be a direct flight on Ryanair to Treviso (there are no direct flights from Budapest to Venice, this is the closest available). You could suggest this to your boss. From Treviso airport there is a direct bus connection to Venice. Since Ryanair is most likely cheaper than Lufthansa your boss will be glad since it will save him money.

It would be cheaper, yes, but I am going for company training, and the Ryanair flight to Trevizo is only twice a week at the wrong time of day. (afternoon flight on Tuesday, I need to be there Tuesday morning)

Would prefer a direct flight, absolutely! Thanks :)

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:39 pm
by IAHWorldflyer
For what it's worth, I've been on a slightly delayed ( 15 minutes) flight into FRA, and I've seen LH call passengers with a tight connection ( they know who you are) to deplane first, and provide a car or minibus shuttle directly to that person's onward gate.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 am
by LH748
Doable but you need a bit of luck that both gates are close to each other

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 am
by ExpatVet
LH748 wrote:
Doable but you need a bit of luck that both gates are close to each other


Yep, i’m packing the running shoes :)

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm
by RamblinMan
As with anything work-related, you offered your advice to your superior, he chose to ignore it, so the consequences are on him. At this point I'd hop on the plane as booked and hope for a misconnect.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:09 pm
by dangerhere
I'm always amazed when people book such dog-legged routes. Surely it's possible to do a connection with a more logical routing, like Vienna or? Granted you get there on time, but the flying route is literally double the distance between Budapest and Venice, which is not even so far apart in the first place.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:19 pm
by masi1157
dangerhere wrote:
I'm always amazed when people book such dog-legged routes.


You know Lufthansa? You know Frankfurt Airport? People don't simply book such connections. These connections are offered for booking by Lufthansa. And they wouldn't continue offering them if a significant percentage of passengers regularly missed the connection. Of course that can happen and it happens from time to time. But in that case they would book you on the next flight, they pay a hotel if necessary, they pay a compensation etc. Personally I made a lot of connections at FRA with only 45', and all of them worked. Some required a bit of running and on some of them my bags didn't make it. But even that was rare.


Gruß, masi1157

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:24 pm
by dangerhere
masi1157 wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
I'm always amazed when people book such dog-legged routes.


You know Lufthansa? You know Frankfurt Airport? People don't simply book such connections. These connections are offered for booking by Lufthansa. And they wouldn't continue offering them if a significant percentage of passengers regularly missed the connection. Of course that can happen and it happens from time to time. But in that case they would book you on the next flight, they pay a hotel if necessary, they pay a compensation etc. Personally I made a lot of connections at FRA with only 45', and all of them worked. Some required a bit of running and on some of them my bags didn't make it. But even that was rare.


Gruß, masi1157


I do indeed know both very well. What I mean is more that, that is this was the routing I simply wouldn't book with LH just because they offer it. Of course they will offer it, but most people should not assume that LH or KLM are suddenly the only way to get from A to B or C. Most likey the person booking it for the OP couldn't give two fiddlers about that aspect yet they will be wondering in a few years how the firm needs to find cost savings from somewhere, or why the rate of inflation keeps rising lately.

I get that in this case some HR person / the boss booked this using the company card and without much care. My point is that a bit of due diligence and research would have produced far better results than a detour as far north west as Frankfurt. My attitude would be that if the connection routing is crap, don't book it. There's no reason in Europe for such back tracking unless you are flying long haul and even then it's questionable in some cases. A quick look and I found BUD-VIE-VCE with OS, offering less stress and the same level of service, far less backtracking and a far more efficient route for everyone, just as one example.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:44 pm
by masi1157
I would assume we are talking about the flights BUD 6:20 8:05 FRA 8:55 10:10 VCE. At least that is the only one I can find with a 50' connection at FRA. It was probably booked because of the early arrival at VCE at 10:10 to get the guy to the company training the same day. The only alternatives I found so far around that time of day are BUD 6:00 8:20 CDG 9:35 11:15 VCE on (obviously) AF and BUD 6:20 8:20 BRU 9:50 11:25 VCE on SN. Both get you to VCE an hour or more later and are even worse of a detour. Out of the three, which one would you book or recommend?


Gruß, masi1157

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:44 am
by upperdeckfan
dangerhere wrote:

I do indeed know both very well. What I mean is more that, that is this was the routing I simply wouldn't book with LH just because they offer it. Of course they will offer it, but most people should not assume that LH or KLM are suddenly the only way to get from A to B or C. Most likey the person booking it for the OP couldn't give two fiddlers about that aspect yet they will be wondering in a few years how the firm needs to find cost savings from somewhere, or why the rate of inflation keeps rising lately.

I get that in this case some HR person / the boss booked this using the company card and without much care. My point is that a bit of due diligence and research would have produced far better results than a detour as far north west as Frankfurt. My attitude would be that if the connection routing is crap, don't book it. There's no reason in Europe for such back tracking unless you are flying long haul and even then it's questionable in some cases. A quick look and I found BUD-VIE-VCE with OS, offering less stress and the same level of service, far less backtracking and a far more efficient route for everyone, just as one example.


You are simplifying it big time, there are plenty of reasons beyond "stress" and "route efficiency" why a route like this is booked,

Time of departure from origin.
Time of arrival to final destination.
Total time - including layovers - .
Cost

As said in the last post, in this case the earliest arrival time was LH through FRA. If you need be in Venice as early as possible without having to get there the night before it doesn't sound a crap routing to me.

Last week I flew VLC-AMS through LIS, I made a 55 minute conection with no hassle. I had an appointment for dinner in Amsterdam and I bet you it was the shortest total flying time with a reasonable departure time out of Valencia - not having to wake up at 4'00 - .

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:22 pm
by dangerhere
upperdeckfan wrote:
dangerhere wrote:

I do indeed know both very well. What I mean is more that, that is this was the routing I simply wouldn't book with LH just because they offer it. Of course they will offer it, but most people should not assume that LH or KLM are suddenly the only way to get from A to B or C. Most likey the person booking it for the OP couldn't give two fiddlers about that aspect yet they will be wondering in a few years how the firm needs to find cost savings from somewhere, or why the rate of inflation keeps rising lately.

I get that in this case some HR person / the boss booked this using the company card and without much care. My point is that a bit of due diligence and research would have produced far better results than a detour as far north west as Frankfurt. My attitude would be that if the connection routing is crap, don't book it. There's no reason in Europe for such back tracking unless you are flying long haul and even then it's questionable in some cases. A quick look and I found BUD-VIE-VCE with OS, offering less stress and the same level of service, far less backtracking and a far more efficient route for everyone, just as one example.


You are simplifying it big time, there are plenty of reasons beyond "stress" and "route efficiency" why a route like this is booked,

Time of departure from origin.
Time of arrival to final destination.
Total time - including layovers - .
Cost

As said in the last post, in this case the earliest arrival time was LH through FRA. If you need be in Venice as early as possible without having to get there the night before it doesn't sound a crap routing to me.

Last week I flew VLC-AMS through LIS, I made a 55 minute conection with no hassle. I had an appointment for dinner in Amsterdam and I bet you it was the shortest total flying time with a reasonable departure time out of Valencia - not having to wake up at 4'00 - .


Perhaps, I suppose my attitude to this is: different strokes for different folks ect.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:11 pm
by mchei
Been there, done that :)
LH has been paying more attention to these tight connections recently in the context of their excellence program. I don’t recall the name of this service program but after all the issues LH had due to the Air Berlin downfall and the insane growth of Eurowings, it’s getting better. I was picked up at the aircraft and was driven to the bus of my connecting flight twice in the last couple of weeks at FRA and MUC.
I would go for it, to be honest.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:35 pm
by ExpatVet
Just as a minor update, the inbound flight was delayed due to deicing, so it wasn't enough...well it would have been,but the departing flight fra-vce decided to close the gate 7 minutes early. (and I ran like hell too!)

Getting from the remote stand to the terminal took forever.

Looking forward to the "I told you so" conversation ;) first flight i've missed in 5 years. Got rebooked on the next flight so no biggie.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:16 pm
by upperdeckfan
Shame for you...

That's the issue with FRA, chances of a remote stand are bigger than anywhere else...wish you better luck next time

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:36 pm
by devron
Enough delayed to get compensation?

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 pm
by debonair
devron wrote:
Enough delayed to get compensation?


No, de-icing or better weather is an act of god, outside of the control of the airline. So, no compensation. However, if LH is living up to its 5star status, they have offered vouchers for food & drinks.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm
by devron
debonair wrote:
devron wrote:
Enough delayed to get compensation?


No, de-icing or better weather is an act of god, outside of the control of the airline. So, no compensation. However, if LH is living up to its 5star status, they have offered vouchers for food & drinks.


Ah correct a free beer, cool (might have been to early for this)

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 am
by ExpatVet
debonair wrote:
devron wrote:
Enough delayed to get compensation?


No, de-icing or better weather is an act of god, outside of the control of the airline. So, no compensation. However, if LH is living up to its 5star status, they have offered vouchers for food & drinks.


Nope, not a thing!

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm
by senatorflyer
ExpatVet wrote:
debonair wrote:
devron wrote:
Enough delayed to get compensation?


No, de-icing or better weather is an act of god, outside of the control of the airline. So, no compensation. However, if LH is living up to its 5star status, they have offered vouchers for food & drinks.


Nope, not a thing!


Problem with tight connections is that even if you do make it, sometimes your luggage doesn’t.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm
by VSMUT
ExpatVet wrote:
debonair wrote:
devron wrote:
Enough delayed to get compensation?


No, de-icing or better weather is an act of god, outside of the control of the airline. So, no compensation. However, if LH is living up to its 5star status, they have offered vouchers for food & drinks.


Nope, not a thing!


Did you have to wait over 2 hours?

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:09 am
by ExpatVet
VSMUT wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:
debonair wrote:

No, de-icing or better weather is an act of god, outside of the control of the airline. So, no compensation. However, if LH is living up to its 5star status, they have offered vouchers for food & drinks.


Nope, not a thing!


Did you have to wait over 2 hours?


Yes, a hair under 3 hours.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 am
by VSMUT
ExpatVet wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:

Nope, not a thing!


Did you have to wait over 2 hours?


Yes, a hair under 3 hours.


Then you are entitled to a meal voucher, no excuses. My experience is that you may have to ask for them at the service desk.

Re: BUD-FRA-VCE, 50 minute connection

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am
by ExpatVet
VSMUT wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Did you have to wait over 2 hours?


Yes, a hair under 3 hours.


Then you are entitled to a meal voucher, no excuses. My experience is that you may have to ask for them at the service desk.

Ah well. Will remember for next time. Thanks! :)