bluestreak
Topic Author

Delta switched my plane!

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Okay, I know this happens a lot in the airline industry. You book a flight a few months out, on a particular aircraft type, and the aircraft type is changed before your flight. In this case, I had booked a flight on Delta LGA-BOS for April 2019 on the new A220. This flight was booked specifically for the plane. I received an email from Delta today, notifying me that my flight has changed. I am now booked on a Republic E-170! So, instead of taking a knee jerk reaction, I am playing it cool, and looking at the alternatives. I could book an earlier, or later flight that day, but what if they change too? What about a different destination? I am actually booked later that same day out of BOS to ATL. So without paying change fees, or booking new flights all together, I am somewhat limited to LGA-BOS for that trip. I know I can catch the A220 on a later date, it will be around for a while, but I am still hopeful for this trip.

I am not whining, like I said, I know this happens. But what I would like are some suggestions, what would you guys do? Call Delta, and hope for understanding? Wait until the date is closer, and pick another LGA-BOS A220 flight? Or pick another A220 destination, and start over?

This has happened to me a few times in the past. I had booked a flight on USAir to get a flight on the BAC 1-11. USAir changed it to an F-100 before my flight, still cool though, but I never got on the 1-11. Also, I booked a ORD-MKE flight especially for the BAe-146. It was replaced with a boring CRJ-200 before my flight. I also had an MD-11 booked from LAX-ATL back in the day. The mad dog had a mechanical issue, and they re-booked me on a 757, which was not the Delta's fault, but still a bit disappointing. I never got the chance to fly on another MD-11, or 146.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good flight!
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

PSAatSAN4Ever

Re: Delta switched my plane!

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Been there, done that.

Many years ago, I booked SAN-DTW-BOS/BOS-ATL-SAN, with the final flight on a 767. Sure enough, they changed my flight to a 757, my second favorite from Delta. I called, was polite, told them, "since you made a change, may I make a change?" The agent was sympathetic, but there was nothing she could do.

Unless you fly Southwest, you'll never know exactly what the airline will do until you've touched down at your destination. It sometimes sucks for those of us that plan on a specific type, but it's always a crapshoot.

For our upcoming trip to Europe, our return portion of ZRH-SAN isn't currently showing if Edelweiss Air will extend their schedule for San Diego into October. However, with regards to that, we have flown this non-stop before (I have a trip report on it), and for the same price we can fly a United 787-8 to SFO and then take a short hop to SAN. Two weeks ago, however, the United website was showing 787-8's ZRH-EWR, ZRH-IAD, and ZRH-SFO. Today the EWR flight is a 767-300, and to IAD a -400. Lovely, but on my list. We will be going via SFO simply because of the new 787. Now, if they substitute something for it that day, I'm out of luck. But the 787 will be around for a while, so if not this time, maybe another.

Good luck on your quest!!

KLMatSJC

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 am

DL is notorious for aircraft changes. I remember a few years ago, I had a 4-flight trip with them. I booked four months out, and every single plane on the itinerary was different from when I booked the ticket. DL's aircraft aren't usually set in stone until around 45 days before the flight.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

IAHFLYR

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Heck all the airlines make schedule changes, it is going to happen more often than not even if it's a simple couple of minutes with departure/arrival times right down to the dreaded aircraft change. When this has happened to my schedule with UA, DL and AA if the change doesn't suit my travel plans for whatever reason (to include aircraft type) I've called and politely explained the situation and offered the agent my new itinerary....guess what, never been charged a change fee nor been asked to pay a higher fare if that is part of the new itinerary. Does that mean it will work for the OP, who knows unless you make the call and see.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

jb1087xna

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:03 pm

bluestreak wrote:
Okay, I know this happens a lot in the airline industry. You book a flight a few months out, on a particular aircraft type, and the aircraft type is changed before your flight. In this case, I had booked a flight on Delta LGA-BOS for April 2019 on the new A220. This flight was booked specifically for the plane. I received an email from Delta today, notifying me that my flight has changed. I am now booked on a Republic E-170! So, instead of taking a knee jerk reaction, I am playing it cool, and looking at the alternatives. I could book an earlier, or later flight that day, but what if they change too? What about a different destination? I am actually booked later that same day out of BOS to ATL. So without paying change fees, or booking new flights all together, I am somewhat limited to LGA-BOS for that trip. I know I can catch the A220 on a later date, it will be around for a while, but I am still hopeful for this trip.

I am not whining, like I said, I know this happens. But what I would like are some suggestions, what would you guys do? Call Delta, and hope for understanding? Wait until the date is closer, and pick another LGA-BOS A220 flight? Or pick another A220 destination, and start over?

This has happened to me a few times in the past. I had booked a flight on USAir to get a flight on the BAC 1-11. USAir changed it to an F-100 before my flight, still cool though, but I never got on the 1-11. Also, I booked a ORD-MKE flight especially for the BAe-146. It was replaced with a boring CRJ-200 before my flight. I also had an MD-11 booked from LAX-ATL back in the day. The mad dog had a mechanical issue, and they re-booked me on a 757, which was not the Delta's fault, but still a bit disappointing. I never got the chance to fly on another MD-11, or 146.

They should let you change for free because the carrier technically changed from Delta (mainline) to Republic (connection). I don't know off-hand what limitations there are to this (IE, if you have to keep the same day of departure, etc), but there shouldn't be any financial penalties for switching flights, at least on the same day. I've done it successfully before when a mainline flight changed to a regional one. Needed a phone call versus trying to do it on their website though.
| A319/20/21/33 | B717,722,733/5/7/8/9,744,752/3,762/3 | CR1/2/7/9 | D95 | E145/75 | M82/8/90 |
Next up: XNA-ATL-PWM-ATL-XNA

KLDC10

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Delta is pretty well-known for this unfortunately. It has happened to me a few times - in fact, every MD-80 flight I've ever booked with Delta has been swapped for another aircraft type, usually the MD-90. Last year I was booked to fly aboard an A319 from Boston to Atlanta - not particularly exciting, but it would have been my first flight with that specific A320-family sub-type. As I sat at the gate looking at an A320 instead, the app was still insisting it was an A319 ;) Thankfully I had much more luck catching the DC-9.

In this case, you could try calling Delta and explaining the circumstances. They might be more sympathetic because the A220 is a new type and plenty of people will be out to fly on them, which of course often translates into good publicity for them. Can't hurt to try.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

evank516

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:37 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
bluestreak wrote:

They should let you change for free because the carrier technically changed from Delta (mainline) to Republic (connection). I don't know off-hand what limitations there are to this (IE, if you have to keep the same day of departure, etc), but there shouldn't be any financial penalties for switching flights, at least on the same day. I've done it successfully before when a mainline flight changed to a regional one. Needed a phone call versus trying to do it on their website though.

I've heard on here that Delta is very good about allowing ticket changes in the event of an itinerary change. I definitely encourage the OP to call.

Kno

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 pm

It really sucks when that happens, but we are in a small minority of people who care or even notice what kind of plane we'll fly on. I don't usually book my flights more than a month or two out and I rarely have this problem - at that point the airline is pretty set in stone about the type they'll use.

Why even book a flight for April now? It's a common myth that booking incredibly far in advance gets you better prices anyway and LGA-BOS seems like the kind of trip you can plan on short notice at a low cost.

Either way, definitely call and try your luck!

johns624

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Kno wrote:
Why even book a flight for April now? It's a common myth that booking incredibly far in advance gets you better prices anyway and LGA-BOS seems like the kind of trip you can plan on short notice at a low cost.

Either way, definitely call and try your luck!
Sometimes it helps a lot. My wife and I booked a multi-city trip for June/July 2019 seven weeks ago and got a great price. We are flying DL DTW-AMS on the 350 in PS and coming back FCO-DTW D1 and it is only costing us only $2597. It's up to $4300+ now.

buzzard302

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 pm

I'm surprised Delta would have any sympathy or care regarding a plane change. A majority of passengers on the plane have no idea what type of plane they are on. You booked a flight from point A to point B at a specific time slot. As an enthusiast I get the disappointment, but I don't see how Delta us obligated to do anything.

RRTrent

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Similar happened to me with AA a few years back. Booked a flight with a connection in ORD that would have me on an MD80 down to MCO, our flight from DUB was delayed and we missed the connection and ended up on a 737 down later that day.

MAH4546

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 am

buzzard302 wrote:
I'm surprised Delta would have any sympathy or care regarding a plane change. A majority of passengers on the plane have no idea what type of plane they are on. You booked a flight from point A to point B at a specific time slot. As an enthusiast I get the disappointment, but I don't see how Delta us obligated to do anything.

This is an operator change. The flight went from Delta to Republic. By law, Delta is required to offer a free refund or flight change.
a.

buzzard302

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:17 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
buzzard302 wrote:

This is an operator change. The flight went from Delta to Republic. By law, Delta is required to offer a free refund or flight change.

Gotcha, I should have read a little closer. In that case, call and plead your case OP. You should get what you are hoping for.