Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hynithuchi
Topic Author

Pricing on codeshare flights

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 am

When looking at the CA schedule between ZRH and PEK I noticed that fares on their own flights are exactly the same on the LX code share flight. Why wouldn't they sell seats on their own metal at a lower fare as they must be interested in filling up their own aircraft rather than LX ( which is probably a superior product anyway )? Do other airlines price such flights the same way ? Sorry if this subject was discussed before but I couldn't find an other thread relating to this.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Re: Pricing on codeshare flights

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:41 pm

You're expecting logic in airfares?

Seriously, though, if it's a code-share, it's probably "revenue-neutral", which means carriers split the cost on each routes such as these.

For example, this September, I am flying SAN-FRA on LH, and ZRH-SFO-SAN on UA on the return. Both LH and UA's website show the exact same fare and exact same flights, so in the end it doesn't matter with whom I book it, I've got the same flights. And UA and LH walk away with 50%.

Sounds like it's the same on your flights.

cofannyc

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Joint ventures are revenue neutral not codeshares. When CA sells on LX, they will pay LX whatever rate they agreed to and CA will keep anything above that.

What is happening here is that CA likely files one set of fares on ZRH-PEK for both CA operated and LX operated flights. Right now, the flights you're looking at have the same inventory class open hence the similar pricing. However, if the LX flight starts to fill or they forecast high demand, they will close that class and the LX operated flight will become more expensive than the CA operated option.

For example, departing 14AUG19 from ZRH, the LX operated flight is priced higher than the CA operated flight because LX has lower classes closed on the flight.

invertalon

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I just booked my codeshare flight (UA and Luftansa) to Germany... On Luftansa, the price was equal with United one day. The next, Luftansa was over double. So I booked through United for the cheaper rate, for the same exact flights. Watched over the course of a week before booking, it was constantly up/down and often times drastic. Never saw that type of behavior with say, Southwest, for example. Was quite amusing to say the least.