Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Vueling ... forget the website, use the mobile app

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:23 am

For some city-pairs in Europe, Vueling (VY) has by far the best frequency and equipment, and the worst seat pitch and EN website. I travel somewhat often to Alicante, Spain for meetings. Whenever possible, I pay for mainline service, which means getting to ALC without using Air Nostrum or Air Europa, which leaves Vueling (5X daily BCN/ALC nonstops on A320 and A321). VY has the most cramped seating in Europe, and I'm tall. This means I have to fly VY in an exit room, or spend 10 hours round trip on the EuroMed train. Now, the problem... actually buying tickets on VY, in advance. VY's website in English is broken 90% of the time when accessed from the States. Connection resets, time outs, hung screens, ugly. Res agents for Iberia on the US toll free number make an excuse and disconnect. One must pay per minute to speak to VY's res center in the UK, but I have always been disconnected while on hold. An appallingly hostile approach to distribution.

Now... the solution. Use Chrome with autotranslate on VY's Spanish website, or even better.... use the Vueling mobile app. The mobile app requires that you join Avios, but here why VY's mobile app is the ONLY way to deal with VY: you can do advance check in. If you haven't checked in before going to the airport, VY charges €15.00 to issue a paper boarding pass. Using the VY website, you may or may not be successful... and success is having a pdf emailed to you that YOU MUST PRINT OUT before going to the airport. Showing the pdf on your mobile device won't get you on board.

What a crazy way to run an airline, but it beats the train... at least in travel time.

dangerhere

Re: Vueling ... forget the website, use the mobile app

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:21 pm

A simple answer here is enjoy the time on the train (usually more relaxing and productive anyway) don't use and give your money to throughly sh!t airline.

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:30 am

If I can't get exit row seats, I either take a EuroMed or I don't go to Alicante. I would never fly VY other than BCN/ALC, and certainly not medium or long haul... too many cancellations.

My curiosity is how can VY stay in business having the worst distribution, worst customer service, worst hard product, and worst soft product in Europe? Price is paramount?

CrimsonNL

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am

I don't speak Spanish either, but is it really that big a deal to make a booking on their Spanish site? I mean you've flown them before so you know the product offerings, and the website structure. So it's not too hard to figure out what the Spanish words mean I'd say..

And yeah, price is paramount for passengers above everything else!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

SCQ83

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:20 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
My curiosity is how can VY stay in business having the worst distribution, worst customer service, worst hard product, and worst soft product in Europe? Price is paramount?

It all comes down to Barcelona. BCN is the largest European airport without a legacy-style carrier. It is the most "low-cost" among large Euro airports. So price is paramount and yields are low. The 2nd largest carrier in BCN is... Ryanair. Which is not SQ either.

The case you mention is an example of why VY works at BCN. If you want to go to ALC, it is either Vueling or the train. VY has the most frequencies to many Spanish and European destinations.

Outside BCN things are very different. VY has failed repeatedly in Europe (hence why LEVEL). Even in the rest of Spain (I don't mention Madrid), Vueling does not have a good reputation or network. In most medium-sized airports (PMI, VLC, ALC, AGP, SVQ, SCQ...), Ryanair has way more capacity than Vueling. The only exception is BIO, where Ryanair is not currently present (since they are subsidised in nearby SDR which is used as "Bilbao-West").

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:48 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
It all comes down to Barcelona. BCN is the largest European airport without a legacy-style carrier. It is the most "low-cost" among large Euro airports. So price is paramount and yields are low. The 2nd largest carrier in BCN is... Ryanair. Which is not SQ either.

The case you mention is an example of why VY works at BCN. If you want to go to ALC, it is either Vueling or the train. VY has the most frequencies to many Spanish and European destinations [from BCN].

Thanks, that explains alot... esp. VY's frequencies to the Canary Islands ex-BCN.

[email protected]

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:27 pm

FR starts SEN-BIO this April. In its pulldown menu, FR refers to SDR not as "Bilbao West" but simply "Santander".
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."