flybynight
Topic Author

SAS trans Atlantic service

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 pm

I used to fly SK a fair amount from SEA- CPH. In December 2018 I flew them again, but between EWR and OSL this time.

I flew economy over and business coming back, so an interesting comparison.

1 - SK makes you pay for any alcoholic drink in economy. That's new to me! I understand on discount airlines this happens, but not on a legacy carrier. Is this common, or a sad new cost cutting strategy that will become common place amongst legacy carriers?

2 - Seat and legroom - pretty much standard stuff here. The new interiors are pretty nice, but I sure would like a little more pitch. The lack of legroom on long haul flights is a negative trend. I don't think SK is different than most carriers here

3 - Business was obviously much nicer (A330 both ways by the way). The food was a little bland, but overall decent

4 - Storage area around the seat wasn't all that impressive

5 - F/A's were good. Not constantly in your face, but professional and obviously experienced

6 - New entertainment system was very good

Overall, Business was a decent package, but not a standout.
Economy seems to be just that. As a legacy carrier with a long history, I don't want to see SK become a discount airline. If this is a trend amongst all the legacy carries (regarding service), so be it.
Heia Norge!

superjeff

Re: SAS trans Atlantic service

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:12 pm

flybynight wrote:
I used to fly SK a fair amount from SEA- CPH. In December 2018 I flew them again, but between EWR and OSL this time.

1 - SK makes you pay for any alcoholic drink in economy. That's new to me! I understand on discount airlines this happens, but not on a legacy carrier. Is this common, or a sad new cost cutting strategy that will become common place amongst legacy carriers?

This has been pretty much the case for a few years now, on almost all carriers, although a few (including AA and DL) provide a free alcoholic beverage and/or wine with meals.

2 - Seat and legroom - pretty much standard stuff here. The new interiors are pretty nice, but I sure would like a little more pitch. The lack of legroom on long haul flights is a negative trend. I don't think SK is different than most carriers here

Again, standard for a while. 31" is the norm these days, some airlines are at 30". Pre-deregulation, 34" was standard, although not with the high density seating we have today.

3 - Business was obviously much nicer (A330 both ways by the way). The food was a little bland, but overall decent

5 - F/A's were good. Not constantly in your face, but professional and obviously experienced

Economy seems to be just that. As a legacy carrier with a long history, I don't want to see SK become a discount airline. If this is a trend amongst all the legacy carries (regarding service), so be it.

IADCA

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm

superjeff wrote:
flybynight wrote:

This has been pretty much the case for a few years now, on almost all carriers, although a few (including AA and DL) provide a free alcoholic beverage and/or wine with meals.

Again, standard for a while. 31" is the norm these days, some airlines are at 30". Pre-deregulation, 34" was standard, although not with the high density seating we have today.

Disagree on the response on 1). At least some alcohol is free in Y on most everyone TATL these days - at least parts of the pre-merger entities comprising today's major US TATL carriers (AA, DL, UA) used to charge for it, but no longer. It's actually a trend away from pay-to-drink. As far as I can recall, I've never been on flights on AF, LH, BA, that charged for it in Y. However, some competitors that impact SK a little more than other carriers - FI and DY - charge for alcohol in at least some economy fare buckets. One thing these carriers have in common is that they run a lot of TATL services from countries where alcohol is a much higher-cost item than elsewhere. That seems to have been followed by other carriers trying to rip off or compete with the business model (e.g., LEVEL), but not on the legacies within the same companies (for example. there is free alcohol in Y on both BA and IB TATL).
Last edited by IADCA on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superjeff

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 pm

IADCA wrote:
superjeff wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Disagree on the response on 1). At least some alcohol is free in Y on most everyone TATL these days - at least parts of the pre-merger entities comprising today's major US TATL carriers (AA, DL, UA) used to charge for it, but no longer. It's actually a trend away from pay-to-drink. As far as I can recall, I've never been on flights on AF, LH, BA, that charged for it in Y. However, some competitors that impact SK a little more than other carriers - FI and DY - charge for alcohol in at least some economy fare buckets. One thing these carriers have in common is that they run a lot of TATL services from countries where alcohol is a much higher-cost item than elsewhere.

No disagreement. I said "almost all carriers". no charge on BA, AF, VS, etc. but they do on some others, including EI, LO, and most American carriers, at least for some booze (over whatever they deem appropriate to include as complimentary).

IADCA

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm

superjeff wrote:
IADCA wrote:
superjeff wrote:

Disagree on the response on 1). At least some alcohol is free in Y on most everyone TATL these days - at least parts of the pre-merger entities comprising today's major US TATL carriers (AA, DL, UA) used to charge for it, but no longer. It's actually a trend away from pay-to-drink. As far as I can recall, I've never been on flights on AF, LH, BA, that charged for it in Y. However, some competitors that impact SK a little more than other carriers - FI and DY - charge for alcohol in at least some economy fare buckets. One thing these carriers have in common is that they run a lot of TATL services from countries where alcohol is a much higher-cost item than elsewhere.

No disagreement. I said "almost all carriers". no charge on BA, AF, VS, etc. but they do on some others, including EI, LO, and most American carriers, at least for some booze (over whatever they deem appropriate to include as complimentary).

I think part of the gap here is that I read his complaint as being the charge for "any" alcoholic drink - meaning that you pay for even wine and beer. That's pretty uncommon in my experience, whereas asking people to pay for mixed drinks is more widespread, especially on the US3, or drinks outside of meals (like AY).

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Yes, to be clear - ANY alcohol needed to be purchased in economy. Only water, juice and soda was free.

I think on legacy carriers this is still unusual. By legacy I mean carriers like - BA, KLM, LH, Finnair, Swiss, SK, etc
Heia Norge!

debonair

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 pm

flybynight wrote:
Yes, to be clear - ANY alcohol needed to be purchased in economy. Only water, juice and soda was free.

But not SAS flights from/to Tokio.

Finnair has also ONLY selected flights with free alcohol.

B747forever

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:11 pm

I would say that SAS has a solid J class with 1-2-1. Much better than many other European carriers. If you want to see what lack of storage space is, try BA club world. Having flown J with LH, BA, and SK between LAX-Europe, I would choose SAS over the others.
Work Hard, Fly Right

dangerhere

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 pm

flybynight wrote:

I think on legacy carriers this is still unusual. By legacy I mean carriers like - BA, KLM, LH, Finnair, Swiss, SK, etc

As mentioned above, Aer Lingus is another legacy where you will have to pay for booze.

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 pm

dangerhere wrote:
flybynight wrote:

As mentioned above, Aer Lingus is another legacy where you will have to pay for booze.

I wonder if this will become a trend in the ever-shrinking amenities on airlines.
Heia Norge!

JPhoto

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:57 pm

I flew them last September from EWR-CPH and CPH-ORD both in Y. You only get 1 soda for free with the meal, if you want more you also have to pay. That is something that you get for free at some LCC's!!

Besides that the flight was good and I would fly them again.
PDX-AMS

flybynight
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 pm

JPhoto wrote:
I flew them last September from EWR-CPH and CPH-ORD both in Y. You only get 1 soda for free with the meal, if you want more you also have to pay. That is something that you get for free at some LCC's!!

Besides that the flight was good and I would fly them again.

I've heard this about the soda.
Is that an SK policy at this point? One freaking soda on cross-Atlantic flights? If so that, is pretty shameful.
Heia Norge!