747Whale

Re: Gratuity for Flight attendants

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 am

JayWings wrote:
LX015 wrote:
So, to a degree it weakens the argument that flight attendants are there for passengers’ safety and not as wait staff. One doesn’t tip a police officer or TSA agent or doctor...

But I can’t tell you the last time I was served a drink or a sandwich by a police officer. I also couldn’t recall when a waiter was expected to be the first to respond to a medical emergency. I can’t imagine a first responder being asked to hold and entertain a baby for a stressed out parent. And who would ask a baby sitter to troubleshoot the WiFi or explain why the entertainment system won’t work?

Flight attendants are expected to juggle numerous responsibilities and fill many different roles. That shouldn’t be used as an excuse to not tip them. I think good flight attendants are some of the most deserving and often least rewarded customer service professionals around. Just my 2 cents.

I have been approached by a hoard of blue-hair little old ladies in a hotel lobby and asked if I'd carry their luggage out to the bus. Apparently my pilot uniform looked to them like the bus driver uniform. I didn't try to explain it to them. I carried their luggage.

As a first responder and firefighter, I was handed kids, asked to hold dogs, etc. As a pilot riding home in the back of the airplane, I've found myself landing kneeling over a patient in the galley because that's what was needed. Different roles, different needs, and as a pilot, and mechanic, I've repaired my own aircraft (you fix it, you break it) and company aircraft in the field, to get us going. I've landed at a maintenance base, delivering an aircraft for an inspection, then spent the rest of the night helping an understaffed crew do the work. Far more than you might think.

I don't know about not expecting a professional to get his or her hands dirty or work outside of the the job description, but it's happened for me a lot.

As for tipping flight attendants, I do have a problem with that notion. Making it available to a passenger, maybe, but if a passenger wants to tip, it's probably better to offer cash, and most flight professionals will decline. Many moons ago when making the mind-blowing sum of 500 a month as a pilot, many of us did get tips and had we not, it would have meant a lot of very gaunt pilots. Today I'm occasionally offered a tip, for which I thank the offeror their kindness, and politely decline, usually with the pass that I'm not allowed to accept (but thank you so very much anyway).

Now, I do make more than a flight attendant, so it would be presumptuous for me to speak on their behalf and I won't attempt, but as a passenger, I would find it rather irregular and in my opinion, inappropriate.

AirAfreak

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:05 pm

I went on a first date with a man that tipped our waiter slightly less than 10 percent of the total restaurant bill. He occupied much of our waiter’s time with excessive requests during the service and it was distracting and exhausting to watch. Tipping is a test of the type of person I am dealing with, so it goes without saying that I declined his second dinner invitation. I dodged a bullet.

With that being said, if you have an issue with tipping your flight attendant for a service provided at discounted airfares on a low-cost/budget airline, it is most likely you cannot afford your excursion; plan better or stay home.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

747Whale

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:01 am

I do have an issue with it, but rather than plan to stay at home, I go because I'm driving the bus.

Pudelhund

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm

This is ridiculous on so many levels. A real race to the bottom for budget airlines. Never going to fly Frontier because of this.

ricport

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:24 pm

I can't stand the tipping culture here in the U.S. It's incredibly irksome when I order takeout at a restaurant, pay by card, and then am expected to leave a tip on the receipt. I'd much rather just pay a little more and not be expected to tip. So, my vote is he!! no to this horrid "idea."