VTCIE
Topic Author

How do you pronounce airport codes?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 am

This has been discussed many years and many times before before, but...

Here I discuss only pronounceable airport codes, so BKK and CDG don't count. If you notice, almost all of the airports listed here (LAX and GRU being the biggest exceptions) are formed from the first three letters of the city.

Some airport codes I tend to pronounce letter-by-letter: A-M-S, I-S-T, A-T-H, F-R-A, P-E-K, G-R-U, P-E-R, etc. This is especially true when it ends with D: M-A-D, B-U-D, A-D-D, J-E-D, H-Y-D/S-Y-D, etc. (However, until a few years ago I would say 'Mad', 'Bood' (not 'Bud'), 'Hyd' and 'Purr'.)

Others I pronounce as a word: Lax, Del, Hel, Mel, Sin, Bos, Mex, Lis, Zag, Dub, etc. I know almost nobody says Lax—practically everyone says L-A-X the way they say E-V-A or A-N-A, but I can't. It's not natural.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

PatrickZ80

Re: How do you pronounce airport codes?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:28 am

Honestly, I almost never pronounce the airport codes. It's not natural. I just use their full names, either airport names or city names. It mostly depends on if a city has one or multiple airports.

For example New York John F Kennedy. I don't call it JFK, I call it John F Kennedy. That's it's name. Los Angeles LAX is a bit difficult because LAX is not only the code but also the airport name, but there's almost never the need to pronounce it. Los Angeles does have multiple airports, but when you're talking about Los Angeles airport everybody knows which one you mean.

steveinbc

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 am

Airport codes are stated as individual letters. I'm unaware of anyone pronouncing LAX as "lax" or Frankfurt as "frah" etc. The one thing that does always annoy/surprise me is why Canadians and Americans say "the" before an airport name such as there was a strike today at the Portland Airport. Europeans would drop "the"....I wonder why the difference?
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

mhkansan

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 am

Idk why, but my airline friends use airport code slang all the time.
PHL - We pronouce it like "fee-h-l" for some reason.
FRA - Said like a word.
LUX - ditto
ORD - We almost always say it as a word.
EWR - fun to pronounce.

There are others too. In casual parlance among others who understand what you are talking about, this is pretty common I think.

WN732

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 am

People who talk about Fresno can either say FAT or F-A-T. It's sort of a joke here.

IPFreely

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am

I, and everyone I know, either says the city or spells out the airport code. I know of nobody who pronounces the three letter code, with the one obvious exception of Sioux City.

CarlosSi

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:23 am

Hahah I like these threads. I recall a similar thread but with airline pronunciations instead.

A few of mine:

(K)AUS: (K)Aww-s
KSAT: K-Sat
DFW: D-F-W
IAH: ee-ah
WSSS: Wuss
EWR: Eww-err
MIA: Mee-ah
KLIT:
SFO: Ess-foe

Of course in reality I may not refer to them as such or people may have a hard time understanding which airport I'm referring to.

spacecadet

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:40 am

I can't think of an airport code that I pronounce. And like others have said, I don't usually use them at all in conversation; for some reason I only use them in writing. I will definitely write "PHX" but I will say "Phoenix". I guess it's just a form of shorthand, like texting "how r u" like all the kids do these days.

Actually I think it's usually fewer syllables to say the airport name than the code, while it's fewer letters to write the code. In fact the one situation where I can remember ever saying the code is SFO, which is fewer syllables than saying "San Francisco".
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

A333MSPtoAMS

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Most of the codes I spell out letter by letter. There are exceptions, such as FUK, HEL, SYD, MEL, YUL, EZE, DEN. Some I don't say the code at all : Boston, Seattle, Schiphol, Heathrow, Hartwick, Auckland, Haneda/Narita, etc
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com

Wednesdayite

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 am

Spell:
LHR
JFK
SFO
LAX
CDG
EZE
IAD
DIA (yeah, I know it’s not a real code - but so many round here use it).

Pronounce:
DEN
ORD
MAN
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

angusjt

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 am

I dont think I spell out any airport code that can be easily pronounced.

I.e. I'll say "lacks" for LAX but spell out JFK.

NozPerry

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 am

The only three I’ve ever pronounced as is, are HEL (just easier to say Hell), GIG and EZE (as Easy)
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

ghYHZ

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am

For Toronto YYZ…I would say Why-Why-Zed (as in 'Ed'...not Zee) and for Halifax YHZ: Why-Aitch-Zed

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am

For airports with pronounceable codes, I'd pronounce it:
Eg: KUL, PEN, SIN, LAX, SEA

For airports whose codes are not pronounceable, I'd spell it.
Eg: LHR, NRT, TPE, CDG

And some airport, I just don't bother and just say the name
Eg: IAD - Dulles, JFK - Kennedy, AMS - Amsterdam.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Coal

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 am

BKK = "Bee Kay squared"
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

hvusslax

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:57 am

From my interactions with passengers, it's only Americans that use airport codes at all and then only for a few specific airports. JFK, LAX and BWI are the ones I remember people saying. Otherwise it's just the name of the airport or the city.

Coal

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

hvusslax wrote:
From my interactions with passengers, it's only Americans that use airport codes at all and then only for a few specific airports. JFK, LAX and BWI are the ones I remember people saying. Otherwise it's just the name of the airport or the city.

Not really - In my line of work, me and my colleagues fly every week, and when people ask each other where they are (at least in Asia), we usually refer to the cities by their airport code.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

IADCA

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Honestly, I almost never pronounce the airport codes. It's not natural. I just use their full names, either airport names or city names. It mostly depends on if a city has one or multiple airports.

For example New York John F Kennedy. I don't call it JFK, I call it John F Kennedy. That's it's name. Los Angeles LAX is a bit difficult because LAX is not only the code but also the airport name, but there's almost never the need to pronounce it. Los Angeles does have multiple airports, but when you're talking about Los Angeles airport everybody knows which one you mean.

I suspect many New Yorkers would find this funny. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to the airport as anything other than JFK, and when the president is spoken about, he's typically referred to as JFK as well. Perhaps if someone pointed out that it could be pronounced as "Jay-"F*ck" we might get a new one. Evening delays due to congestion could be referred to as "getting Jay-F*cked."

I don't pronounce the airport codes - even ones that are pronounceable - except as jokes with my spouse, who is also a frequent flier. ("Where are you connecting? Ord or Den?" "Neither. Flying into Essfo this time.") We're a riot, I can assure you.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm

I pretty much always pronounce LAX, LAS, OGG, MAN, SYD, MEL. Others like BOS, SIN, HEL, MUC it kind of varies, sometimes I'll say it and sometimes I'll spell it. There really is no rhyme or reason to it, just what sticks in my mind.

One of my former colleagues always called EZE "easy".
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Confuscius

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 am

How would you pronounce SUX-CLT?
Ain't I a stinker?