Mortyman
Topic Author

Norwegian launches free WiFi on long-haul routes

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 am

Norwegian launches free WiFi on long-haul routes

Next year, over half of Norway's long-distance aircraft Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft will be equipped with wireless internet connection, writes Check-in.dk.

So far, most of the company's shorter European routes have had free WiFi, but when Norwegian now acquires free WiFi on long-haul routes, it becomes the world's first low-cost carrier in the world that offers it on intercontinental routes, the newspaper writes, which has receaved the info from Norwegian.

First long-haul flight with free WiFi is rolled out in mid-January.

It will eventually be possible to choose between two packages:

• Basic Option: This WiFi package allows you to surf the web, read emails and send sms.
• Premium Option: is a high-speed connection that lets you stream music, movies and TV shows, for example, through Netflix.

https://www.check-in.dk/norwegian-lance ... 0-93192621

How much of an expence is this for Norwegian ?

sonicruiser

Re: Norwegian launches free WiFi on long-haul routes

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:23 am

Nice to see DY keeping its edge sharp. Really awesome move, it will be a hit with pax especially on long haul.

GalebG4

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 am

I think that the rest of the airline industry will go this path when it comes to wifi. You give people extremely slow internet and then tell them if they pay they can use normally. So naturally if there is no IFE as it is not on Norwegian narrow bodys 737’s, you are 100% going to get boost in ancillary revenue. Probably won’t work that good for short haul but on long haul 100%.

a350lover

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 am

Free wifi
"Unlimited" and complimentary alcohol when flying Premium
No extra charges for seating in first rows of economy without row of seat in front.
... and we could keep adding...

From a consumer point of view this makes Norwegian the nicest travel option (when things go right and you don't end up on a Wamos flight).

From a marketing and finance point of view, it looks like Norwegian is rather stubborn with its model and the marketing guys of this airline sort of "played truant" when the lesson "up-selling" & "increasing revenue" were given.

FlapsOne

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am

The best just got better. It’s a great option to maximise revenue whilst providing basic service for those who don’t want to pay. I used inflight WiFi for the first time on one of the MEB3 to send the odd snap of the trip to family and it was nice and enough for me. For those who want to stream then they can upgrade to that.

mooseofspruce

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am

Their 7th 787-9 and onward (out of their current fleet of 24) had the extra satcomm installed during production, so I guess these will be the aircraft that will have it first (with the article mentioning that the most recent delivery, G-CKWP/Mark Twain, already being equipped with the service aspect of it). For starters that at least covers all but one of the 787-9s based in LGW under the NAUK AOC (G-CJGI the exception), since the other 787-9s shuffle around the other destinations.

Sounds exciting, was waiting for this to happen but too I wondered about the cost or if they'd ever even find a contract provider for long haul. Of course now it'll be an even bigger setback to those getting Wamos'd.

Article also mentions their 737 MAX 8s getting it, which is good to hear after reading from one or two video trip reporters that the MAXs didn't have the WiFi turned on.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

LupineChemist

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah, I really just want wifi on board to be able to send basic whatsapp messages or text emails. Maybe with the occasional photo attachment and I don't care if it takes a minute to load.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:20 pm

a350lover wrote:
Free wifi
"Unlimited" and complimentary alcohol when flying Premium
No extra charges for seating in first rows of economy without row of seat in front.
... and we could keep adding...

From a consumer point of view this makes Norwegian the nicest travel option (when things go right and you don't end up on a Wamos flight).

From a marketing and finance point of view, it looks like Norwegian is rather stubborn with its model and the marketing guys of this airline sort of "played truant" when the lesson "up-selling" & "increasing revenue" were given.

Some US adversing would be nice, last night during the first half od the College Football National Championship, I should have seen a Norwegain Ad. They nees to get the name out there. I have a niece in Denver and I had to tell her about Norwegain.

airlinereporter

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:03 pm

mooseofspruce wrote:
Their 7th 787-9 and onward (out of their current fleet of 24) had the extra satcomm installed during production, so I guess these will be the aircraft that will have it first (with the article mentioning that the most recent delivery, G-CKWP/Mark Twain, already being equipped with the service aspect of it). For starters that at least covers all but one of the 787-9s based in LGW under the NAUK AOC (G-CJGI the exception), since the other 787-9s shuffle around the other destinations.

Sounds exciting, was waiting for this to happen but too I wondered about the cost or if they'd ever even find a contract provider for long haul. Of course now it'll be an even bigger setback to those getting Wamos'd.

Article also mentions their 737 MAX 8s getting it, which is good to hear after reading from one or two video trip reporters that the MAXs didn't have the WiFi turned on.

Just because these aircraft have radomes does not necessarily mean there's any equipment in them. There's a very good chance they're empty as I have been told Norwegian will have to retrofit all existing aircraft.

PatrickZ80

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 pm

While this is great for the passengers, it's not good for their financial situation. After all this costs Norwegian money and they get nothing in return for it. They weren't doing too good already, decisions like this could be the final nail to their own coffin.

c933103

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
While this is great for the passengers, it's not good for their financial situation. After all this costs Norwegian money and they get nothing in return for it. They weren't doing too good already, decisions like this could be the final nail to their own coffin.

See other replies. When one started using the internet and feel it's getting slow, it's much easier to lure them into switching toward the premium option than all-or-nothing as passengers could read books, watch movie and do other activities. That's the same freemium model that's hugely successful in various fields.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.