SQ789
Topic Author

What happen to Southwest website.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Well I was trying to access the Southwest website despite I'm living in Thailand today and then I received an "You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/" on this server." message. Do anyone also get this similar fate as well when you live outside USA or Mexico?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

STLflyer

Re: What happen to Southwest website.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Southwest blocks international visitors from their website (although this block does not seem to be perfect as I've accessed it from overseas before). I don't know why - perhaps it's not wanting to comply with GDPR or other international laws and whatnot, or maybe there's some other reason for it. Seems silly, as they're potentially missing out on business from people visiting the US who need to fly domestically.

The times I've been overseas and needed to access it and couldn't, I just use a VPN with a US endpoint and get in with no problems.

BreninTW

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm able to access it from the UK ... so it's not likely to be GDPR-related.

Note that it's a secured (HTTPS) site, so if your ISP forces HTTP (as is the case in some countries that aren't so happy with web traffic being encrypted) you probably won't be able to access it.

Ziyulu

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 pm

This just shows how Southwest does not think outside the box.

SCQ83

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 pm

STLflyer wrote:
Southwest blocks international visitors from their website (although this block does not seem to be perfect as I've accessed it from overseas before). I don't know why - perhaps it's not wanting to comply with GDPR or other international laws and whatnot, or maybe there's some other reason for it. Seems silly, as they're potentially missing out on business from people visiting the US who need to fly domestically.

The times I've been overseas and needed to access it and couldn't, I just use a VPN with a US endpoint and get in with no problems.

I am in the EU right now and just accessed Southwest without any issue. I wonder if it has to be with Thailand being a hotspot for credit card fraud and card duplication?

PayaLebar

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Well I was trying to access the Southwest website despite I'm living in Thailand today and then I received an "You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/" on this server." message. Do anyone also get this similar fate as well when you live outside USA or Mexico?

I am unable to access WN's website either from Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore. And this situation has been like this for at least two months.

jjbiv

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Did you call them, send them a note, or ask on social media? Perhaps they would like to know about this. I’d imagine WN doesn’t sell a lot of tickets to international customers.

fraspotter

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 pm

This

BreninTW wrote:

Note that it's a secured (HTTPS) site, so if your ISP forces HTTP (as is the case in some countries that aren't so happy with web traffic being encrypted) you probably won't be able to access it.

seems much more likely than this

Ziyulu wrote:

Southwest is definitely not the airline that would come to mind as being guilty of "not thinking outside the box".
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

jplatts

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I have used some website reachability tools, and the Southwest.com website is accessible from Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica in addition to the United States. Southwest.com is also likely accessible from Aruba, the Bahamas, Belize, the Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman Island, Jamaica, and Turks and Caicos since WN serves destinations in these countries.

Countries where the Southwest.com website has been blocked include China, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Ukraine, and Vietnam, and all of these countries are located in either Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia, or Africa.

Rdeggendorfer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I’ve had problems accessing their site from Japan.

LAXintl

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Until a few years ago, SWA was designated "local sale only" for ticket issuance.

Current blocking of foreign IP is largely due desire to limit credit card and award ticket fraud.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

alggag

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 pm

This has been going on for literally years with no signs of improvement. I've personally been blocked from Europe and Asia and while Southwest claims to be working on a fix I wouldn't hold my breath. Using a VPN is basically your only option if you're being blocked.

I like Southwest but this is absolutely an example of them "not think(ing) outside the box" at least when it comes to IT.

ScottB

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm

alggag wrote:
This has been going on for literally years with no signs of improvement. I've personally been blocked from Europe and Asia and while Southwest claims to be working on a fix I wouldn't hold my breath. Using a VPN is basically your only option if you're being blocked.

I like Southwest but this is absolutely an example of them "not think(ing) outside the box" at least when it comes to IT.

I disagree. Since WN's business is entirely domestic and near-international, the volume of potential business they're losing by blocking foreign IP addresses is likely well under 1% of their existing business, if not under 0.1% Clearly they have done a risk assessment and come to the conclusion that the revenue from which they are walking away just isn't worth the risk of potential losses due to fraud.

Ziyulu

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm

What fraud can occur? It's not like there is no check of ID when boarding a plane.

CrimsonNL

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I cannot access Southwest website from any computer and/or IP address in the Netherlands. Super annoying! Had to use Tor browser to book my flights..

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

OA940

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

The block out a lot of foreign countries. Can't get in from Greece as well, and I've tried to on multiple occasions. I mean if they wanna miss out on customers...
A350/CSeries = bae

FriscoHeavy

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
What fraud can occur? It's not like there is no check of ID when boarding a plane.

You obviously do not know how credit card fraud occurs. Southwest thinks 'outside the box' (stupid cliche) more than any other airline. They are profitable year in and year out. Don't try to fix what isn't really broken.
Whatever

PatrickZ80

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm

jjbiv wrote:
Did you call them, send them a note, or ask on social media? Perhaps they would like to know about this. I’d imagine WN doesn’t sell a lot of tickets to international customers.

They're well aware of this, it has been the case for as long as their website exists. They just never did anything about it.

One of the things caused by this is that a lot of fare search websites also cannot read the Southwest website, so Southwest doesn't show up as an option or it shows without a fare displayed. SkyScanner for example doesn't show Southwest in their results. They get the same error when trying to access it to read the fares.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
They are profitable year in and year out. Don't try to fix what isn't really broken.

I have to disagree, there's a difference between profitable and more profitable. Southwest is making money, but who says they can't make even more money than they already do?

STLflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm

BreninTW wrote:

If an ISP forced HTTP, then nearly every major website would cease to work. The block is definitely on Southwest's end.

bob75013

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 pm

This topic comes up all the time on the Southwest customer blog. The facts are as follows:

1) It apparently costs money to make the website available in various international locations.
2) The airline makes the website available in locations flown to by the airline.
3) The airline has evaluated expected revenue/profit from tickets sold from locations that it does not fly to.
4) The evaluation seems to indicate that the revenue/profit received from those countries does not cover the costs of making the website available. So the website is not made available.

Thus, if you are international and want to access the website you have two options
1) Access via a US based VPN
2) Access via the Southwest app IN CELL DATA MODE. If you use wifi, you'll get the same error message referred to earlier in the thread.

Ziyulu

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

If they thought outside the box, they would have partnerships with many other airlines. If I want to fly to Asia, there is zero possibility that my domestic segment in the U.S. would be on WN.

bob75013

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
If they thought outside the box, they would have partnerships with many other airlines. If I want to fly to Asia, there is zero possibility that my domestic segment in the U.S. would be on WN.

Since WN is growing passenger numbers faster than the big 3 and is doing so more profitably than the big 3, I suspect that the airline doesn't particularly care about the loss of your business.

Ziyulu

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 pm

bob75013 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Since WN is growing passenger numbers faster than the big 3 and is doing so more profitably than the big 3, I suspect that the airline doesn't particularly care about the loss of your business.

This is the type of mentality that shows why American carriers are in so much trouble.

bob75013

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

This is the type of mentality that shows why American carriers are in so much trouble.

Thinking outside the box means NOT DOING what everyone else is doing. WN is thinking outside the box BY NOT DOING what you suggest.

And by profitability and passenger growth numbers, Southwest is hardly in trouble.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

When an airline is successful as Southwest, sometimes there is no reason to re-invent the wheel. This is the airline that made money when everyone else was losing.

bob75013

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Question for you and the mods: why are you pursuing a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread : southwest website availability?

cledaybuck

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

American carriers aren't in trouble.

dcajet

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

What trouble, and so much of it, exactly? American carriers are currently the most profitable ones in the world.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

bob75013

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

May I suggest that we stay on topic:

What happen to Southwest website.

TMccrury

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

I use a VPN which lets me "pretend" to be somewhere else. So you may try something like that.

EvanWSFO

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 pm

alggag wrote:

This is not just a Southwest thing or an airline thing. Lots of IP addresses from corporations are blocked from what can be considered as 'at risk' nations for hacking.

ScottB

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

That may be true for you personally but there's a pretty significant number of people who self-connect at major gateway airports like LAX between WN and foreign carriers. Yes, they have to buy separate tickets and have to claim and re-check bags, but it's quite possible to realize significant savings that way.

Partnering with foreign carriers doesn't come for free, either.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
One of the things caused by this is that a lot of fare search websites also cannot read the Southwest website, so Southwest doesn't show up as an option or it shows without a fare displayed. SkyScanner for example doesn't show Southwest in their results. They get the same error when trying to access it to read the fares.

Several years back, Southwest sued Orbitz (back when it was collectively owned by most of the U.S. legacy carriers) for displaying its fares without permission and for constructing itineraries which WN would never sell to customers (presumably in an attempt to make WN look overpriced).

Historically (up until 25 years ago) WN was on the big reservations systems which were generally owned by legacy carriers. WN was kicked off of Apollo (owned by UAL) and SystemOne (owned by CO) in 1994 which ultimately led, almost by accident, to WN being so successful with their more direct relationship with the customer. WN built a brand that was strong enough to draw customers to book directly, rather than through reservations systems/online travel agencies. And tying this back to the direct subject of this thread, apparently WN's brand is strong enough that some potential customers in countries with zero WN marketing presence want to book with them.

Yossarian22

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:36 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
alggag wrote:

This is not just a Southwest thing or an airline thing. Lots of IP addresses from corporations are blocked from what can be considered as 'at risk' nations for hacking.

Yep, my wife and I live in China, and we have to set our VPN to a U.S. server for Southwest and also for her to access her credit union’s website.

Oddly enough, Southwest tickets are actually sold on the Chinese travel website, C-Trip.

Yossarian22

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:40 am

ScottB wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

That may be true for you personally but there's a pretty significant number of people who self-connect at major gateway airports like LAX between WN and foreign carriers. Yes, they have to buy separate tickets and have to claim and re-check bags, but it's quite possible to realize significant savings that way.

Partnering with foreign carriers doesn't come for free, either.

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Several years back, Southwest sued Orbitz (back when it was collectively owned by most of the U.S. legacy carriers) for displaying its fares without permission and for constructing itineraries which WN would never sell to customers (presumably in an attempt to make WN look overpriced).

Historically (up until 25 years ago) WN was on the big reservations systems which were generally owned by legacy carriers. WN was kicked off of Apollo (owned by UAL) and SystemOne (owned by CO) in 1994 which ultimately led, almost by accident, to WN being so successful with their more direct relationship with the customer. WN built a brand that was strong enough to draw customers to book directly, rather than through reservations systems/online travel agencies. And tying this back to the direct subject of this thread, apparently WN's brand is strong enough that some potential customers in countries with zero WN marketing presence want to book with them.

I self connected last January, booked a $60USD Southwest flight CVG to MDW, flew ORD>KEF>DUB the following on Wow, self connected again to Amsterdam, got from Cincinnati to Amsterdam for $250 USD.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

Yossarian22 wrote:
I self connected last January, booked a $60USD Southwest flight CVG to MDW, flew ORD>KEF>DUB the following on Wow, self connected again to Amsterdam, got from Cincinnati to Amsterdam for $250 USD.

But for sure you didn't get that combination out of a search engine, you've looked it up yourself.

Several search engines are able to assemble a self-connect for you, Kiwi.com is the best example of this. They mix and match everything together. The trick with Kiwi.com is that you should use it for searching, but not for booking. They add a fee on top of the fares they found. When you manually book those same flights that's always cheaper than have Kiwi.com book them for you.

I've self-connected myself too. Just a few months ago I flew Transavia Eindhoven to Copenhagen, self-connected there to Norwegian Copenhagen to Los Angeles. Return I flew Norwegian Los Angeles to Barcelona, again self-connected to Transavia from Barcelona to Eindhoven. The whole trip cost me about € 450 return.

DesertAir

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm

I had this problem years ago. I could not access the WN site from Tijuana, Baja California. The access was being blocked by the local provider Infinitum. The WHY was never answered but a company tec unblocked access.

SQ789
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:45 pm

DesertAir wrote:
I had this problem years ago. I could not access the WN site from Tijuana, Baja California. The access was being blocked by the local provider Infinitum. The WHY was never answered but a company tec unblocked access.

You know what DesertAir, I think WN website can only be accessed in USA only. Even though it's blocked in Mexico too despite they have flights to/from Mexico. That's another difficulties for Mexicans who are flying with WN. They served some destinations in Mexico such as MEX and CUN.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Ziyulu

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm

I also heard of many doing self-connects and missing flights without getting a refund. Very risky.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I also heard of many doing self-connects and missing flights without getting a refund. Very risky.

No doubt this occasionally happens, but not as many as some make it sound. The thing is that when a self connect goes right (and that's mostly the case) you hear nothing about it. You only hear about it in case it goes wrong.

Of course you should not cut your self-transfers too tight, it remains a risk. With plenty of time to make your transfer the chance of missing it is almost zero.

FlyHappy

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Yossarian22 wrote:

Oddly enough, Southwest tickets are actually sold on the Chinese travel website, C-Trip.

Really???? can you expand on this, sounds very interesting!

Yossarian22 wrote:

to be fair, MDW/ORD (the following day) really isn't a self connect; hope you got a "Chicago Dog" or something in that time ;)

Ziyulu

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 pm

In the early 2000s, AA never flew to China. I was able to access AA's website in China. AA even had offices in China.

L410Turbolet

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am

CrimsonNL wrote:
I cannot access Southwest website from any computer and/or IP address in the Netherlands. Super annoying! Had to use Tor browser to book my flights..

Martijn

Where's your self respect? Why do you give money to an airline that is quite obviously not interested in your business?

Chemist

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

Well on WN at least you get credit for any changes with no additional fees, and you can apply the full purchase price to a new flight. Not so with hardly (or any) other carriers.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 am

Ziyulu wrote:
In the early 2000s, AA never flew to China. I was able to access AA's website in China. AA even had offices in China.

Maybe because AA is a global airline and WN isn’t? I don’t know why you care so much about this
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

747Whale

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:05 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Until a few years ago, SWA was designated "local sale only" for ticket issuance.

Current blocking of foreign IP is largely due desire to limit credit card and award ticket fraud.

SWA doesn't block foreign sites.

I just accessed it from a foreign site, no problem.

Foreign countries block access, not SWA. Take it up with the countries.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:27 am

747Whale wrote:

Why would foreign countries block access to Southwest?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

747Whale

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
747Whale wrote:

It's already been addressed in this thread. SWA isn't blocking visitors from foreign countries. The foreign countries are limiting what websites can be visited.

Again, take it up with the countries. There are numerous countries from which websites can't be reached or a workaround must be used. Talk to their service providers. It's not SWA.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:20 pm

747Whale wrote:
SWA doesn't block foreign sites.

I just accessed it from a foreign site, no problem.

And why would just about every foreign country block access to their website?

Besides, the error message is clearly coming from the server itself. You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/?" on this server.

This indicates that the server can be reached (it can be pinged as well, Reply from 2.21.43.142: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=60), but when it comes to loading the website on the server an error occurs. And that error occurs on the Southwest server.

So no, the countries are not to blame. They allow access to the Southwest server, that's proven. Southwest is to blame, they block access to foreign connections. It's somewhere in the website loading script.

It's known that occasionally someone is having a positive glitch and the website does load from outside the USA, but that's definitely not standard. Most of the time it doesn't load.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 pm

747Whale wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
747Whale wrote:

It's already been addressed in this thread. SWA isn't blocking visitors from foreign countries. The foreign countries are limiting what websites can be visited.

Again, take it up with the countries. There are numerous countries from which websites can't be reached or a workaround must be used. Talk to their service providers. It's not SWA.

Bull. Why the hell would other countries block Southwest. They're not a competitor to anyone outside the US.

I know how countries block websites, and frankly the way it appears on my screen shows that it's Southwest that's doing the blocking, not other countries.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO