richcandy
Topic Author

Boeing tours from Seattle

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi

I am going to be in Seattle in a few months time and when I am there I want to visit Boeing.
There are a number of 4.5hr tours from Seattle that include a factory tour and also the Future of Flight centre.

However is that really long enough?
Is the Museum of Flight at the same place?
The Museum of Flight also offers Boeing Field tours on Saturday and Sundays. Is that worth doing?

Thanks

Alex

EvanWSFO

Re: Boeing tours from Seattle

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:46 pm

If you have access to your own transportation, I'd recommend taking in both at your leisure. Everett is not a bad drive depending on where you are staying (I was in Lynnwood so it was super easy).. A friend of mine and I did the PAE assembly plant tour twice, and spend ample time in the Future of Flight Museum. By accident of a wrong turn we stumbled on what was then the side of PAE where Bob Bogash and his team was restoring the first 727. The next day we went down to BFI for the Museum of Flight. We happened to stumble across Mr. Bogash again and he gave us a personal docent tour. If the above itinerary you describe includes both, that might be pushing it.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:34 am

The Museum of Flight is at Boeing Field while the Boeing Factory tour is in Everett, which is quite some distance away.

I spent one whole day in 2012 covering Everett & BFI, and even then I felt rushed even though I started very early in the morning. So give it some time and you'll be able to enjoy the experience better.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm

As recommended above do not waste you time/money with a tour, do your own tour. The Museum of Flight at BFI is just south of downtown Seattle and each time we've gone we have spent about 2.5-3 hours enjoying the museum. The Boeing Factory Tour is very structured and IIRC is about 2 hours in length from the time you start till return to the visitor center. Then you have the store where folks like to wander about as well. Driving around PAE is amazing the things you can stumble on to so for me it's a do it yourself time. Also, buy tickets ahead of time as they have been known to sell out.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.