Osiris
Topic Author

Is there a logic to BA's choice of aircraft on BA287 / BA286 (LHR-SFO-LHR)?

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi all.

Quick question that you aviation whizzes might have the answer to: I'm booked on BA287 LHR-SFO (and therefore BA286 SFO-LHR) in June, and currently it's showing as an A388. However, looking through the flight history this week, it's been a pretty eclectic mix of 772, 744 and 388. The latter is much more preferable for me, and given it's booked now I can't change anything, but I was just wondering is there a logic to BA's equipment selection on this flight, and whether the 388 is likely to remain in place (unforeseeable equipment changes notwithstanding of course)?

Cheers.

george77300

Re: Is there a logic to BA's choice of aircraft on BA287 / BA286 (LHR-SFO-LHR)?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Osiris wrote:
Hi all.

Quick question that you aviation whizzes might have the answer to: I'm booked on BA287 LHR-SFO (and therefore BA286 SFO-LHR) in June, and currently it's showing as an A388. However, looking through the flight history this week, it's been a pretty eclectic mix of 772, 744 and 388. The latter is much more preferable for me, and given it's booked now I can't change anything, but I was just wondering is there a logic to BA's equipment selection on this flight, and whether the 388 is likely to remain in place (unforeseeable equipment changes notwithstanding of course)?

Cheers.

As for currently it's 3 weekly (Mon,Thurs,Sat) A388 and 4 weekly B772 (Tues,Wed,Fri,Sun). The B744 were just three swaps for A380 while one went tech I believe. Very infrequent going back a few months.

As for June that will be Summer schedule, that rotation BA287/286 is upgauged to daily A388. So you should have almost 100% chance of the A388. Subject to a aircraft going tech.

theobcman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Most of USA have these eclectic mix of aircraft types. Does seem a bit all over the place right now. 787 issues dont help I guess.

I am booked in March on BOS-LHR which has just changed from A388 (I booked for that type) to B744 - only good thing is I'm now upper deck CW 747 !

Osiris
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am

george77300 wrote:
Osiris wrote:
Hi all.

Cheers.

As for currently it's 3 weekly (Mon,Thurs,Sat) A388 and 4 weekly B772 (Tues,Wed,Fri,Sun). The B744 were just three swaps for A380 while one went tech I believe. Very infrequent going back a few months.

As for June that will be Summer schedule, that rotation BA287/286 is upgauged to daily A388. So you should have almost 100% chance of the A388. Subject to a aircraft going tech.

Perfect!

Thanks a lot for the detailed clarification.