Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

EK to impose lower baggage limits on Special Saver tickets to 15kg

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm

A friend of mine has come across this news, that EK is going to lower the baggage allowances from 20kg to 15kg for Economy Saver tickets & Saver tickets from 30kg to 25kg from the 4th February.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/ ... 8008108316

LAX772LR

Re: EK to impose lower baggage limits on Special Saver tickets to 15kg

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 pm

No real surprise. The shorter hauls to Europe and India totally make sense, though I wonder why the Americas are exempt whereas Australia/Oceania are not?

smi0006

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm

I think we need to all pray for the Checkin agents!!! Customers don’t read their baggage allowances.

It’s not uncommon for some EK destinations to have a 30kg baggage allowance and have pax arrive with 90kg of baggage, then have pax beg beg for help forgiveness leniency etc - and then argue for 20mins before stuffing it in their cabine baggage. When I worked Checkin for EK and we had a sale on to certain destinations we often had to open three counters t to process repacking of excess and would struggle to close flights on time - was a nightmare!!

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 am

So the Indian LCC Indigo provides a 30kg allowance to DXB from India but EK will only provide 15kg (and they charge more than Indigo). Good luck EK. I guess EK wants to fill their India flights with US connecting traffic and DXB resident Indians that need to fly EK because of FF programs? If not, this seems like it will really hurt them. Btw Jet offers 30kg and 40kg if you are on a migrant visa

Flightsimboy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:01 am

LAX772LR wrote:
No real surprise. The shorter hauls to Europe and India totally make sense, though I wonder why the Americas are exempt whereas Australia/Oceania are not?

Do you know how Indian sub-continent folk travel even on the short haul routes, especially those short hauls back home from the Gulf. No real surprise huh, your statement is a surprise lol. Europeans in general travel lighter. And with first baggage having a cost Canadians too try to fill their carry on with whatever they can fill in it. Line up at the EK and EY flights at YYZ and look at those bags....they are huge and often need to be repacked. Anything between 23kg and 32kg has an instant CAD 50 charge at least when I was guilty of paying it.

Just like EK has fewer Skywards Miles depending on the fare this move to lower the baggage allowance depending on the fare will not fair well with many esp in the Indian subcontinent which will lead to more excess baggage charges and as smi0006 suggested lead to begging at the counter and delays in closing the flight. The cheaper fare will be tempting but the shock at the counter will not be so nice. Hopefully their agents will inform them of this lower baggage allowance. 15kg is just 8kg more that the carry on baggage allowance of 7kg. What a joke!!

Emirates is really starting to give off signs they are trying every single method to make $$$ lol.

Ziyulu

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:11 am

Still better than North America carriers who charge for the 1st bag.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Do you know how Indian sub-continent folk travel even on the short haul routes, especially those short hauls back home from the Gulf. No real surprise huh, your statement is a surprise lol. Europeans in general travel lighter. And with first baggage having a cost Canadians too try to fill their carry on with whatever they can fill in it. Line up at the EK and EY flights at YYZ and look at those bags....they are huge and often need to be repacked. Anything between 23kg and 32kg has an instant CAD 50 charge at least when I was guilty of paying it.

Just like EK has fewer Skywards Miles depending on the fare this move to lower the baggage allowance depending on the fare will not fair well with many esp in the Indian subcontinent which will lead to more excess baggage charges and as smi0006 suggested lead to begging at the counter and delays in closing the flight. The cheaper fare will be tempting but the shock at the counter will not be so nice. Hopefully their agents will inform them of this lower baggage allowance. 15kg is just 8kg more that the carry on baggage allowance of 7kg. What a joke!!

Emirates is really starting to give off signs they are trying every single method to make $$$ lol.

Why do you act like it is criminal that they are trying to make more money? They’re a business, they should try to make more money. If anything it reinforces they are a business, not a state fed entity.

Not to mention bag fees are about the most normal fees a traveler would experience. Shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who has flown in the last 10 years

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:48 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Do you know how Indian sub-continent folk travel even on the short haul routes, especially those short hauls back home from the Gulf. No real surprise huh, your statement is a surprise lol. Europeans in general travel lighter. And with first baggage having a cost Canadians too try to fill their carry on with whatever they can fill in it.

...you don't seem aware that you've just reiterated my point! :lol:

Decreasing allowances, on a demographic populace who will check everything-but-the-sink, on a short-ish route that won't tax a widebody's performance capability = $$$$$$$$$$

Flightsimboy wrote:

You do realize that a corporation considers this a **good** thing, do you not?

And unless travelers show a major reactive shift in booking, which historically they won't, then no other airline is going to rush in as a white knight on any appreciable scale.

Ziyulu wrote:

Give it time.

People really need to accept the reality that, given another industry downturn or two... EVERY airline is going to be "Spirit" in the main coach cabin, or close to it.

And yes, that includes the almighty east Asian airlines and their "service."

Those who don't like it, will have the options of Y+ or W to book into.

Hear it now, see it later.

Ziyulu

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Since it is 23 kg for many other routes, 15 kg doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Flightsimboy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:

Why do you act like it is criminal that they are trying to make more money? They’re a business, they should try to make more money. If anything it reinforces they are a business, not a state fed entity.

Not to mention bag fees are about the most normal fees a traveler would experience. Shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who has flown in the last 10 years

The other two of the ME3 don't and hopefully they don't fall victim to this. Hey even a seat assignment is no longer free on Emirates unless you are a skywards member with the lowest fares. Not longer before they charge for the first bag. I am sorry but no airline in my past 20 years of travel have charged for a bag, including EK and i have flown numerous times with them. They clearly can't provide all those luxuries the world had some to know to receive from them. That is all I meant I never said it was a crime for them to make money. In essence the passenger now has to start bearing the costs something EK never had to do before. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

It is pretty normal here in North America to firstly pay for your bag, pay for your meal, pay for your headphones and blanket and the most ridiculous of fares within North America which sometimes compare to a one way fare to Asia lol. Sad how we have to travel in this part of the world. Emirates unfortunately is just becoming the same tensferring the costs to the passenger. Kudos to QR and EY heck even for that matter SV, WS and any other from the region.

Flightsimboy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:58 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Since it is 23 kg for many other routes, 15 kg doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Flip the numbers around it is 32kg on other routes. Certain type of EK passengers fill up to the maximum allowable with $$ penalties :).

Flightsimboy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Do you know how Indian sub-continent folk travel even on the short haul routes, especially those short hauls back home from the Gulf. No real surprise huh, your statement is a surprise lol. Europeans in general travel lighter. And with first baggage having a cost Canadians too try to fill their carry on with whatever they can fill in it.

Decreasing allowances, on a demographic populace who will check everything-but-the-sink, on a short-ish route that won't tax a widebody's performance capability = $$$$$$.

Oh!! Talk about misinterpretation on a lazy Sunday evening''s reply lol :) :white:

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:08 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

It isn’t criminal. It just seems odd. The flights to the indian subcontinent are filled with lower educated labor traffic that is not travel savvy. They are bringing back gifts and life supplies to their families (not really packing heavey with personal clothes). The Indian govt really resisted bag charges because it felt all Indians didn’t equally understand the system. Personally, I am shocked they kept the current allowance on US-india flights but not India-DXB/ME. EK’s fares are high to DXB and relatively cheap India-US. Ironic right where they are charging for bags. Just one more thing where the labor crowd gets milked in the ME. I don’t think Indian carriers will blink. At the most they will lower baggage to 25 lbs with a relatively cheap buy up to 30lbs. Let’s see.

Ziyulu

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Decreasing allowances, on a demographic populace who will check everything-but-the-sink, on a short-ish route that won't tax a widebody's performance capability = $$$$$$$$$$

Flightsimboy wrote:

You do realize that a corporation considers this a **good** thing, do you not?

And unless travelers show a major reactive shift in booking, which historically they won't, then no other airline is going to rush in as a white knight on any appreciable scale.

Ziyulu wrote:

Give it time.

People really need to accept the reality that, given another industry downturn or two... EVERY airline is going to be "Spirit" in the main coach cabin, or close to it.

And yes, that includes the almighty east Asian airlines and their "service."

Those who don't like it, will have the options of Y+ or W to book into.

Hear it now, see it later.

It's already happening in many parts of the world. And these are the legacy carriers.

BA and IB - no food or drink on short haul
NZ - no meals on flights to Honolulu
SK - no meals on short haul
FI - no meals on long haul
JL and NH - no snacks on domestic flights

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:26 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

America plays by different baggage rules IIRC, using pieces of luggage with a standard weight of 23kg per bag. It's the same for all the airlines I used to fly to America.

Apparently it applies to all North American countries (Canada/Mexico)