steveinbc
Topic Author

Worst seat mates in memory

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Just got off a YVR to YYZ Air Canada A321 an hour ago connecting to Tampa. In first row of economy (just missed out on the upgrade ....ouch!) And in the middle seat. This is NOT a knock at AC but OMG the passengers either side of me were the worst i can remember.
Window guy was hung over reeking of booze in sweats and delivering colorful burps! Added to that he proceeded to take his shows off and stick his feet up by the window .
Aisle guy decided he would own the middle arm rest as well as his aisle rest and actually had the nerve to ask me to move my arm when i accidentally touched his spreadeagled elbows. He compounded the delight of being his neighbour when he pulled out two highly spiced pork dumpling buns and munched on them at 8 in the [email protected]
What on earth has happened to common courtesy.
Anyhow. Rant over.. any good ones that made your blood boil recently?
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Flyingdevil737

Re: Worst seat mates in memory

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 pm

When I was flying on AirAsia between Penang and Kota Kinabalu last year, I was stuck with THREE screaming children around me for the whole flight, combined with the fact my earbuds were in my checked-in bags.

The only positive was I got myself one of those really good 1:200 A330 models
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.

vtdl

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 am

Next time, you should do the cough, sneeze, wipe it on your sleeve, then lead against the "highly spiced pork dumpling buns" guy.

steveinbc
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:04 am

vtdl wrote:
Next time, you should do the cough, sneeze, wipe it on your sleeve, then lead against the "highly spiced pork dumpling buns" guy.

Ha. I might well do that.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

PanzerPowner

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:37 am

I was sat next to a grossly obese man on a Hong Kong Airlines A330 shortly after the Xiamen Airlines incident at Ninoy Aquino International Airport, he needed a second seatbelt extension, demanded that the flight attendant put his bags into the carry on lockers as a flight attendant had done that previously, and stole my bread bun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

KentB27

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:36 am

A small woman who was about 5 foot nothing on a good day that took up more space than my 6'5" self did.

vtdl

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

A HKG-SFO flight on a pretty empty 747. I sat on the left side of the middle 4 seats and a lady was on the right side with 2 empty middle seats. She decided to lay flat on the seats to sleep. That was fine and I didn't care. But once a awhile, she would kick me. It happened 3 or 4 times. I should have changed seat but somehow I didn't.

aeromoe

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am

Tarom A318 from Bucharest to London February 2017. I'm in the window seat and a lad sits in the middle seat. Aisle seat remains empty throughout the flight. He never budged through the one hour ground hold at OTP (due to Storm Doris over the U.K.) nor during the entire flight to LHR. I think he did get up to use the restroom once but why on earth wouldn't someone take advantage of an empty aisle seat to give both pax more room. Still shaking my head over that one.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Kno

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 am

I’ve sat next to some unfortunately obese people which always sucks but I wouldn’t say they were rude. Other than that I can’t recall anything that was a big deal over the years.

aeromoe wrote:
Tarom A318 from Bucharest to London February 2017. I'm in the window seat and a lad sits in the middle seat. Aisle seat remains empty throughout the flight. He never budged through the one hour ground hold at OTP (due to Storm Doris over the U.K.) nor during the entire flight to LHR. I think he did get up to use the restroom once but why on earth wouldn't someone take advantage of an empty aisle seat to give both pax more room. Still shaking my head over that one.

Why wouldnt you just nicely suggest he move?

spacecadet

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:37 am

I've been reasonably lucky in that I don't remember any real horror stories. One thing that annoyed me, though, was on a flight where I had the aisle and another passenger had the window, and when I wasn't looking she at one point put *all* of her stuff on the empty seat next to me. It was there for the rest of the flight. It was as if she had two seats and I had one, when we both paid the same fare.

There's nothing you can really say in that situation. The seat doesn't belong to either of us, so I have no claim over it any more than she does, and it's not my place to police where other passengers put their stuff. It was just irritating, especially because she was constantly messing with stuff in that seat as she decided to use stuff or put things away, so I was constantly being woken up while asleep by rummaging sounds right next to me.

I guess sort of related to that, I did sit directly next to one woman once whose stuff somehow just kept worming its way into my seat. It wasn't intentional and she was stuck with the middle seat where I know you have less personal space, so I felt bad mentioning it. Her headphone cord was the most annoying thing; it was just constantly in my lap, and I did physically move it to her side several times. But then she'd do stuff like put her phone on the arm rest, which first meant that I couldn't use it, and then of course the phone would eventually fall into my seat (she was a little on the heavy side and would just naturally bump things to my side - again, also not something I could really bring up). This kind of thing happened many times throughout that flight.

Neither of these flights were ruined by these people or anything, they were just kind of annoying.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

MIAspotter

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 am

November 2011 on a flight to DOH from HKG onboard Qatar Airways, plane was jammed packed full, and my seatmate was a chubby Kuwaitian man, who apparently never knew the existence of deodorant, guy reeked of BO and every little move he made just wafted his scent around the cabin, those were the worst 9hrs of my entire life.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

upperdeckfan

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 am

You don't need to remember your seat mates when you are travelling solo and get a middle seat on a 2-5-2 DC10.

I got it on KL's 9-hr AMS-CCS DC10 in the mid 80's and will never forget.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

hitower3

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm

I once sat in a middle seat, next to an elderly person with a breath that made me wonder if he was still alive. Well, he was very much alive and has a whole lot of things to tell me. I didn't want to be unkind so I kept listening.
I would have appreciated to have a lockable nose like a dolphin...

jetblueguy22

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 pm

I’ve been pretty lucky to not have any real duds next to me, though I think I put on a face of leave me alone when I’m onboard.

But in October I flew IND-ATL in the middle seat with a Catholic priest on my left and an Imam on my right, that joke practically wrote itself
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

JPhoto

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 pm

On a long overnight LAX-AMS flight I was in the middle seat next to a man who was complaining that there was only one choice of dinner left by the time the FA reached our row, he wanted chicken and nothing else, that annoyed me already. The FA went out of her way to get him the chicken from the J cabin, which he refused! At that time I was suprised the FA was still friendly to him. I told him very direct to shut the f*** up and be quiet the rest of the flight. I also offered him $2 to buy a chicken burger at Mc Donalds in AMS. His reply is not something I can post here, at least I didn't hear him for the remaining 8 hours of the flight.
PDX-AMS

angusjt

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 am

On a SIN-PER Scoot flight two years ago I was sat next to a bloke who I assume booked 2 seats for himself, he took off his shoes and socks and rested his bare feet towards me for a little under half the flight.

On another occasion (a QF a330 SYD-PER) I was sat next to an older dude who'd take the little wine bottles off the flight attendants trolley and secretly stash them in his seat pocket and put the rubbish in my own, he'd also trash talk the F/As to me after they'd try and interviene to stop him drinking.

Nothing against either airlines, the vast majority of people I sit next to happily mind their own business.

directorguy

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 am

On my last flight the woman next to me kept pestering me throughout the flight. First she made me stow her carryon in the overhead bin. She couldn't find audio jack, wanted me to set up a movie for her to watch, then proceeded to blame me when she didn't like the movie. She kept telling me to give her more room throughout the flight. During the meal service she actually scolded me for ordering a soda. The lady did give me some of her dessert (she told me she was dieting anyway).

That lady is my mom :D :D

smallmj

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 pm

directorguy wrote:
On my last flight the woman next to me kept pestering me throughout the flight. First she made me stow her carryon in the overhead bin. She couldn't find audio jack, wanted me to set up a movie for her to watch, then proceeded to blame me when she didn't like the movie. She kept telling me to give her more room throughout the flight. During the meal service she actually scolded me for ordering a soda. The lady did give me some of her dessert (she told me she was dieting anyway).

This post is proof that this forum needs a 'like' function.

readytotaxi

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Back a few years ago I was travelling on CO in Businessfirst on a 767. I was in an aisle seat next to a African man, from Ghana I think, anyway he suffered from terrible body odour. Shortly after takeoff I went forward and asked to change seats, no problem as there were two empty. The old 767 had a 2-1-2 config and I sat at the back in the empty middleseat, shortly afterwards the passenger who had been behind me joined me sitting in the other empty seat infront of me. We looked at each other and laughed. Could not have done 8hrs with that, and the FA when serving lunch leaned over and said I know what you mean now.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

gtargui

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 pm

This has to go to my sister on a ORD-MAN flight in Business (Probably with AA) over 10 years ago.
As we start our descent she throws the lasagne we had before we went to sleep all over herself and hear seat. My mum who is sat with my crying toddler brother in front of us gets me to sit with him whilst she tries to clean my sister's mess up. FA is obviously pissed because we're in descent and need to be sat in our seats so she's shouting at my and my mum with my three year old brother and eight year old sister bawling their eyes out.

Best seatmate I've ever had was also on that flight. She was a businesswoman sat across from me and she helped my sister and I to break the tag on the noise cancelling headphones we had, and chatted to us for a little bit about where we were going. After we landed she told my mum she knows how hard it is to travel with multiple children alone and that she did a really good job.

DirectPupdog

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Many moons ago flying SJO-ATL I sat next to the stinkiest person I've ever smelled in my life. He was dressed in a business suit but smelled like hadn't showered in months. I spent most of the flight in the lavatory. Every few years I still get a whiff of that guy sometimes.

zrs70

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 pm

spacecadet wrote:
I've been reasonably lucky in that I don't remember any real horror stories. One thing that annoyed me, though, was on a flight where I had the aisle and another passenger had the window, and when I wasn't looking she at one point put *all* of her stuff on the empty seat next to me. It was there for the rest of the flight. It was as if she had two seats and I had one, when we both paid the same fare.

There's nothing you can really say in that situation. The seat doesn't belong to either of us, so I have no claim over it any more than she does, and it's not my place to police where other passengers put their stuff. It was just irritating, especially because she was constantly messing with stuff in that seat as she decided to use stuff or put things away, so I was constantly being woken up while asleep by rummaging sounds right next to me.

I guess sort of related to that, I did sit directly next to one woman once whose stuff somehow just kept worming its way into my seat. It wasn't intentional and she was stuck with the middle seat where I know you have less personal space, so I felt bad mentioning it. Her headphone cord was the most annoying thing; it was just constantly in my lap, and I did physically move it to her side several times. But then she'd do stuff like put her phone on the arm rest, which first meant that I couldn't use it, and then of course the phone would eventually fall into my seat (she was a little on the heavy side and would just naturally bump things to my side - again, also not something I could really bring up). This kind of thing happened many times throughout that flight.

Neither of these flights were ruined by these people or anything, they were just kind of annoying.

This reminds me of a situation years ago, flying CVG-BOS. I was in F on a DL 727. I had the window. Aisle was empty. After the meal service, the guy in the row behind me took his half eaten meal and put it on the empty seat next to me. It annoyed the hell out of me, and I told him so.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

LH658

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:15 pm

DXB - KHI sitting across 3 drunk guys trying to light up cigarettes, and spilling alcohol everywhere.

aeromoe

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Kno wrote:
I’ve sat next to some unfortunately obese people which always sucks but I wouldn’t say they were rude. Other than that I can’t recall anything that was a big deal over the years.

aeromoe wrote:

Why wouldnt you just nicely suggest he move?

I did at the very beginning. Either a non-English speaker or just wanted to stay put in the center seat.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

dfwjim1

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:45 am

Back in 2005 I flew on HA from LIH to HNL and the guy sitting across the aisle from me was a hippy type that was poorly dressed and reeked of BO. Fortunately the flight was only 30 minutes; any longer and I would have requested a seat change.

vtdl

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:43 am

spacecadet wrote:

I was going to ask if she is cute and if she is onto you. That was until the second to last sentence. You disappeared me, my friend:)

vtdl

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:43 am

spacecadet wrote:

I was going to ask if she is cute and if she is onto you. That was until the second to last sentence. You disappeared me, my friend:)

Airstud

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:19 am

directorguy wrote:

Jeez, you know something - only after reading this post did I realize that the last time I was aboard a plane with my mom was in 1979!!!!
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 am

I may have been a "worst seat" guy a few years ago.

I refer to my partner as "brosband" because we have been together for about 11 years and are both straight acting and have no official marriage certificate but we are together.

Anyway, we flew OAK-LAX-HNL on DL. This was my first time to Hawaii and his fourth. I had the middle seat, he had the aisle and some high school boy had the window. He didn't even look out the window like ever! I watched "Frozen" for the first time and part of "Priscilla" and when we got close to HNL, I was getting excited. I kept leaning over trying to see out the window and the boy next to me was annoyed.

Yes, I was "that guy".

It was better on the flight back. I had the window HNL-OGG and it was a red eye OGG-LAX so nearly everyone was asleep. I have landed at LAX many times, so I didn't need to see anything.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

VSMUT

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:27 am

Worst by far was on a train. It was the silent compartment, in a row of seats facing each other. A woman got on halfway through the ride, in the seat facing mine. At first she wanted the blinds pulled down, despite the sun facing the other way. Then she got on her phone. People immediately started telling her to stop the call and stay silent, to which she got angry and shouted some vulgarities back at them, before stowing the phone again. Next she proceeded to kick me on my shins, because insisted on stretching her legs (I had folded my legs as close to my seat as possible). In the end, a quick and hard stamp placed on her foot made her behave, but not without a load of loud complaints from her, to which everybody hushed her again.

On airplanes, I've mercifully not had any really bad experiences. There was an obese passenger recently who wanted me to raise the arm-rest to allow him to fit, to which I refused. Then there was a mum who couldn't control a child, which kept kicking me on my arm and shoulder. Screaming babies. An elderly couple who dropped a suitcase on me. There was even one time when a local gentleman insisted that I had to give up my seat and give it to him, despite the ticket quite clearly saying that he was in the back of the plane. But they were all isolated experiences that took place just once in a flight.

bhxalex

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:17 pm

I was flying PEK-CGK with Air China on one of their ghastly high density 333s about 2 weeks ago and a Malaysian boy, maybe 12 years old, was sat next to me. He squirmed for the whole 7 hours, kicking my legs as I tried in vein to sleep. He also spilt his drink everywhere twice and after apologising the second time, him and his mother struck up a brief conversation with me. After I said it was my first time to Indonesia, he preceded to make some very ill advised comments about Indonesia, and also it's population. His mother was visibly angry and embarrassed and rightly so. I'd say about 90% of the pax on-board were Indonesian (Based off only about 20 of us headed to the Foreign passport booths at CGK and the place was deserted) I'm sure some pax must have heard what he'd said, certainly made me feel uncomfortable, combined with the awful service and pitiful hard product on the AC 333s, it must go down as one of my worst flights.

Eindhoven

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm

One day I was flying EIN-TFS on HV and had an elderly lady sitting next to me. A few rows ahead was a young couple with a baby and it was clear they belonged together. In fact, the woman next to me was the grandmother of the baby. So far no problem. However it turned out that she was overly worried about her grandson and constantly yelled for every small thing. "Oh, my grandson has spilled a bit of his food. Stewardess, have you got a wipe?" She just kept going on like that and just wouldn't take no for an answer. Even "be with you in a moment" wasn't good enough for her, she didn't see that the stewardesses had other things to do as well and also had to cater for the rest of the passengers. No, it was just her and her grandson. The parents didn't say anything, eventhough the baby is primary their responsibility and not the grandmothers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind children on a plane. I don't mind it when they cry or shout, after all that's what they do. They can't help it. However adults need to know their place and this woman clearly didn't.

Austin787

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:57 pm

Once on a IAH-DME flight on Singapore, the girl next to me fell asleep on my shoulder. Not wanting to make a scene I let it slide. At least she was attractive...lol.

LH748

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Luckily I can't remember any horrible direct seat neighbor but I've encountered a few very weird ones sitting closer than I would have liked.
Last September on an AA71 flight from FRA to DFW there was a guy sitting in front of me who collected all his trash next to his seat and it kept falling into my legroom. There were at least 3 cans of soda, some small gin bottles, all the wrappers from the meal service and lots of other things piled up between his seat and the fuselage. No idea why he didn't give any of it to the flight attendants. I constantly feared that an open can he placed there would fall over and ruin my shoes.
On another AA flight from CLT to FRA there was a (possibly high) guy sitting across the aisle and listed to some very loud hard metal music which I heard way too well through his headphones. He would constantly move his head and feet to the beat and it just made me nervous and uncomfortable. I think he had the music running for about 80% of the entire flight. If he didn't already have damaged hearing, he definitely had after the flight.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

happytraveller

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:37 am

One thing that I am noticing more and more is that passenger behaviour and courtesy is getting worse and worse now. Many passengers have absolutely no respect for anybody else on the aircraft. Had some terrible seat neighbours over the years, but two of my regular pet hates are
1) the passengers who board late then will try and smash your bag into a half its size so that they can force their (oversized) bag in and
2) the passengers who sit in the seat behind you, then when they want to get up hold your headrest to help them get up, then suddenly release your headrest so that you are launched forward.

Jerry

N14AZ

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Austin787 wrote:
Once on a IAH-DME flight on Singapore, the girl next to me fell asleep on my shoulder. Not wanting to make a scene I let it slide. At least she was attractive...lol.

Hey! Wrong thread! This thread is about worst seat mates! ;-)
seb146 wrote:
I may have been a "worst seat" guy a few years ago.

The same here, I guess I once was the worst seat mate.

I was sitting next to a man from India and he watched one Bollywood movie after the other and really enjoyed since he laughed all the time and so on.

After working for some hours I decided to watch Prometheus. I noticed that he watched into my screen with open mouth each time someone exploded from the inside out or burnt to death... he looked so shocked, I guess he had never seen a horror movie before... actually, I had a guilty feeling since he was in such a good mood.. until I started to watch that movie.

MartijnNL

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Last Friday I took a flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Billund, Denmark. We boarded the Embraer 190 via stairs. While on the bus to the aircraft it was announced that both doors were open for boarding and that passengers with low seat numbers should use the front door and the ones with high seat numbers the rear door.

A middle aged coupled seated in the very last row boarded the aircraft through the front door. They were struggling against a stream of passengers, completely unnecessary and quite annoying. Upon finally reaching their seats they found the bins to be full, so they started pulling out other passengers' bags to make room for their own. Luckily the flight attendant stopped that ridiculous behaviour.

jupiter2

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Flew SYD/BKK/LHR in the 90's on QF, I had the window the window seat. In BKK a group of Italians boarded, including a rather large mama and son who took the middle and aisle seats next to myself. Their size wasn't a bother to me at first, they were polite and weren't really encroaching on my space. Unbeknown to me though, they each popped sleeping tabs with their meal and shortly after they were in the land of zzzzzz's......for the next 9 hours. I was trapped, couldn't climb over them to get out, or even over other seats. Suffice to say when they finally did stir about 90 mins out of LHR, they basically got shoved out of the way as I made a bee line to the loo.

YIMBY

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Last century I had unpleasant experiences with people smoking and drinking. The worst was one Aeroflot flight where half of the pax were drunk, some quite heavily and there almost broke a fight (most were evidently western tourists). Particularly at Alitalia there were passengers not respecting the non-smoking compartment. Today it is much more rare to find drunks and smoking has almost disappeared.

Once I had next to me an Italian lady with a dog - she insisted to change her middle seat to my window seat as that would be better for the dog and at the end I accepted, even though had particularly opted for the window. All the travel - fortunately not very long - she had all kind of accommodations for the dog that was very nervous. The FA's had to tell her the rules and she was reluctant to obey.

Max Q

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:45 am

Sat next to a guy who pulled out a pack of cards shortly after pushback

He didn’t want to play cards , he just shuffled them (in the really loud end to end manner) non stop for about an hour

I managed to avoid suggesting to him where he could put his cards and to give him credit he did stop when I asked him to

He would have done it the whole flight though, I found it amazing no one else was bothered by it

Nervous habit I think
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Gr8Circle

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:04 pm

I was on a flight from BLR to BOM on an IC A320 many years ago.....had the window seat (as usual :))…..the guy next to me was a talkative type and struck up a conversation with me immediately on boarding.....problem is, he just didn't stop even when we were on the runway and I kept ignoring him and looking out f the window......kept asking me questions and I had to ignore him throughout the takeoff roll....found it very annoying :)

N14AZ

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
I was on a flight from BLR to BOM on an IC A320 many years ago.....had the window seat (as usual :))…..the guy next to me was a talkative type and struck up a conversation with me immediately on boarding.....problem is, he just didn't stop even when we were on the runway and I kept ignoring him and looking out f the window......kept asking me questions and I had to ignore him throughout the takeoff roll....found it very annoying :)

Good to know that you kept your nerves... others were not that lucky...

varig_dc10

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Last week I was on an RJ-85, sat in a window seat, just under the wing. The middle seat next to me was empty and their was a passenger sat in an aisle seat.

The presence of the wing means that the overhead bins are smaller. So much so that the passenger in the aisle seat had to put his bag on the floor, in front of the middle seat.

But he couldn’t get the bag under the seat in front of the middle seat. So it ended up blocking my egress out of the seat.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t going anywhere, it was only a short flight. But it could have been a problem if there had been an emergency.

The passenger in the aisle seat was either oblivious to the issue or just didn’t care.

I was also annoyed with cabin staff for not doing something about it.

I didn’t say anything, because I didn’t want to cause a fuss.
Maybe I should have done?

bgm

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 am

Gr8Circle wrote:

This happens to me a lot, but 99% of the time on domestic flights in the US. For some reason, Americans just love to chew your ear off. I've had unsolicited conversations from my seatmates about everything from their intimate medical issues to their affairs/love lives, illegal activities, you name it. I eventually will put on my headphones, often followed by a tap on the shoulder to remove them so I can continue to hear about the latest drama in their lives. Aren't shrinks supposed to deal with this stuff? :scratchchin:
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

vhqpa

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 am

I'm lucky in that I can't recall every sitting next to an unpleasant seat mate.

The only thing I can come up (and it's quite petty) is last year on a AEY-RKV flight. On a Q400 I was sitting at the window next to an Icelandic giant (not obese, just tall and quite broad shoulders). I don't know how he managed to fit into the seat but I spent most of the flight leaning into the sidewall. But it was only a 30 minute flight, and he was probably more uncomfortable than I was.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

VapourTrails

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:52 am

vhqpa wrote:
I don't know how he managed to fit into the seat but I spent most of the flight leaning into the sidewall.

Yes, this has happened to me also. Again, on a short flight. Yes, he probably felt worse than what I did that is true.

I don't recall a worst seat mate stand out here. Gee, maybe that is yet to occur! :scared:

I recall one on a flight between MEL and CBR in recent years, where about ten minutes from landing, this girl, about twelve years old I am guessing, started brushing her long-ish hair, and she flicked it into my face - while brushing it as if there was no one else around. :sour:

On a flight from BNE to CBR a guy sat next to me who was clearly a smoker, and he reeked, it was emanating from his clothes and his body. Not aircraft-travel friendly. :expressionless:

On a recent flight, one pax called another pax out on using a mobile phone - he was covert texting - not talking. He looked annoyed, but did comply, I assume because the guy made an example of him in a rather loud voice. The point being that people who flout the laws and who are ignorant on planes can be really irritating.
A.net member: 2001-2004, 2014-

AirAfreak

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:20 am

Somewhere over North Carolina in the winter on an evening USAir flight. Cabin lights on bright as the sun. Nothing to see outside by the glare from the interior cabin lights. I’m at the window seat trying to eat my chef’s salad on the 23 minutes flight between Charlotte, NC, USA (CLT) and Asheville, NC, USA (AVL) on the Boeing 737-400. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a human submarine sandwich in the middle seat kept rocking back and forth, back and forth trying to look out of the window while knocking my arm and my salad onto my tray table. I’m only 127lbs at the time; he was easily 300+! He didn’t apologize for knocking half of my dinner into the tray table. What a great way to begin my annual President’s Day Weekend holiday to visit Granny.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Gr8Circle wrote:

Good to know that you kept your nerves... others were not that lucky...

DING DING DING!! We have a winner!!

At boarding, if I am going to share my row with people, I will always smile, acknowledge them, and if I am on the aisle, I will say, "please do not hesitate to let me know when you need out". This to me usually goes a long way in setting the tone. I never have had any of the issues as mentioned in the OP's title, but I do have two stories to go along with it:

DL MD-90, MSP-SAN. I sat next to a Coptic Christian Egyptian doctor flying to San Diego for a conference (in coach, no less!). A very pleasant guy, but he literally talked the entire flight. I got a few words in, but he talked and talked and talked. I don't know if it was nerves, but he was actually kind of interesting, and he didn't yell or scream, but good grief could he talk!!

My favorite story is a "be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!" story: September, 2003, BWI-PHX-SAN. For the BWI-PHX leg, my traveling companion and I had two aisle seats right next to each other. As we boarded the plane, we had a choice: a very large young man in the middle seat spilling into the others, and a mother with an "infant" in the other middle seat. My companion chose the mother and child, and I took the large man.

He ended up being one of the nicest people I have ever flown next to, and although he didn't completely fit, I could get the armrest down, and all was good.

The child proceeded to throw up the entire flight, which seemed to last forever. Mom was embarrassed, and although we could all hear, Brian was closest.

PHX-SAN we sat next to a guy who chewed "tabacc-ee" the entire trip, staring straight ahead, not saying a word to either of us. Thank GOD that was less than one hour, as that is disgusting.

Spark94541

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 am

I've done well, mostly, especially on longer legs. For the most part we are 3 people stuck close for the flight. I get a window seat, and sit there, and move only if nature requires. I try to move out when they move out.

There were two shorter legs that stand out. One was a Spirit Airlines flight from Oakland to Las Vegas. I see that there are two guys who weigh about 450 each, and I'm 200. There was nothing wrong with the guys, but 3 of us filled the row. And it wasn't just one guy, because we equally took our share.

Another was a flight from SAN to SFO. This time I get a middle seat next to guy who tops 300. The window was occupied by an average sized passenger (+150), so there wasn't a lot of room. Virgin America didn't have passengers pull the window shades, so I had no perspective of when were landing.

I had one more that stood out, but not necessarily a bad seatmate since the seatmate is my work wife. We're not married but have worked together for a long time. SWA from MDW to OAK. We get two seats together, but since I'm not an a-hole, she gets the window. And for some reason they couldn't get the temperature right on the plane. It's December, and by the time we get to Oakland that plane is past 80 degrees. Not quite miserable, but not comfortable. She has a mild auto-immune reaction and is really uncomfortable, which makes the situation even worse. If I was flying by myself, it would have warm and not great, but that was one long 4 hours.

cranberrysaus

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Got stuck once on an ATL-BWI flight where my sleeping seatmate was passing gas most of the flight.