Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
LondonXtreme
Topic Author
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm

UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:16 pm

Will we see the new logo and livery any time soon? I expect to see new design coming for the first time in post merger era.
 
Themotionman
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Here we go again...

In my view, we are approaching some evolution of the globe brand. With the new colours coming in, if they were going to do an overhaul they would have done it then. I doubt there will be an change in the livery apart from perhaps bringing some form of the Dreamliner 'wave' on to the rest of the fleet. The globe is a versatile image and has some life left in it yet if they make some minor changes.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Is this a wish list thread or are UA actually considering a new livery ?
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 2086
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Is this a wish list thread or are UA actually considering a new livery ?


One of my long time acquaintances is still at UA and he has claimed that he has seen several different examples of a new livery. He went so far as to claim that one was "clownish." But if UA is internally circulating various examples of liveries, it would seem that a new brand campaign is in the works. Combined with the new uniforms just rolling out, I'd guess that a new brand will be rolled in 2019 - 2020 at the latest.

Further, I'd expect the new uniform and cabin colors to be reflected in the new brand, too.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
N649DL
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
Is this a wish list thread or are UA actually considering a new livery ?


One of my long time acquaintances is still at UA and he has claimed that he has seen several different examples of a new livery. He went so far as to claim that one was "clownish." But if UA is internally circulating various examples of liveries, it would seem that a new brand campaign is in the works. Combined with the new uniforms just rolling out, I'd guess that a new brand will be rolled in 2019 - 2020 at the latest.

Further, I'd expect the new uniform and cabin colors to be reflected in the new brand, too.


IMHO, no question since the uniform color branding (light green, purple, turquoise) is nothing the company has released before and there is zero gold.
 
CRJ5000
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 pm

When I first read this I thought "that'll never happen."
Then I thought of some of their image issues and growing/merger pains in the past few years and thought that maybe a bit of a re-brand wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...
 
User avatar
GEUltraFan9XGTF
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 pm

N649DL wrote:
IMHO, no question since the uniform color branding (light green, purple, turquoise) is nothing the company has released before and there is zero gold.


But those are legit "tulip" colors.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Hopefully they will! The 1990s globe does not feel United Airlines at all. It is odd they chose to call this airline United, but then use an image that represents CO. They should have just called this airline Continental then. United really needs to bring back some form of the tulip! It was much classier or change the name. This new airline feels much more like CO anyway. The old United had a much more premium feel to me as a passenger both in service and branding when compared to Continental.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Hopefully they will! The 1990s globe does not feel United Airlines at all. It is odd they chose to call this airline United, but then use an image that represents CO. They should have just called this airline Continental then. United really needs to bring back some form of the tulip! It was much classier or change the name. This new airline feels much more like CO anyway. The old United had a much more premium feel to me as a passenger both in service and branding when compared to Continental.


Oh get over yourself. That's the oldest argument on this forum followed by Airbus vs. Boeing. Yes, the globe was introduced in 1991 when CO was on the cusp of emerging from Chapter 11, but it works just fine and the UA branding is being tweaked further in UA's marketing department. What matters more is on the inside of the plane and not the outside, which is expensive to change. And the new UA isn't all that new any longer. UA and CO merged in 2010, SOC occurred in 2012. The merger was a mess, poorly executed, and the airline is finally emerging from a long slog of service issues.
 
User avatar
JBo
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:23 am

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 am

"Will United Airlines rebrand?" is the new "When will NW retire their DC-9s?" in terms of recurring questions on this forum.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen within the next five years. By then, United will have had plenty of time to digest and resolve the lingering effects of the CO merger, which would make the notion of a clean-sheet rebrand less upsetting to legacy CO personnel.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Hopefully they will! The 1990s globe does not feel United Airlines at all. It is odd they chose to call this airline United, but then use an image that represents CO. They should have just called this airline Continental then. United really needs to bring back some form of the tulip! It was much classier or change the name. This new airline feels much more like CO anyway. The old United had a much more premium feel to me as a passenger both in service and branding when compared to Continental.


I rather keep my name than the livery IMO, besides from a marketing stand point it seems more importante. But also they should've kept the blue tulip scheme, it was very good looking.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
sohanb82
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:37 am

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:04 am

They will not ditch the globe. They have made tremendous investment in the globe.
https://hub.united.com/united-evolving- ... 97361.html
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:06 am

sohanb82 wrote:
They will not ditch the globe. They have made tremendous investment in the globe.
https://hub.united.com/united-evolving- ... 97361.html


Airliners.net of the Future
 
Beatyair
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am

Leave it alone. United is striving to be better and they are making progress.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: UA rebranding?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
Hopefully they will! The 1990s globe does not feel United Airlines at all. It is odd they chose to call this airline United, but then use an image that represents CO. They should have just called this airline Continental then. United really needs to bring back some form of the tulip! It was much classier or change the name. This new airline feels much more like CO anyway. The old United had a much more premium feel to me as a passenger both in service and branding when compared to Continental.


I rather keep my name than the livery IMO, besides from a marketing stand point it seems more importante. But also they should've kept the blue tulip scheme, it was very good looking.


Yes I thought that was a strange decision and something that often puzzles me when US giants merge. Has the United name become somewhat tarnished in recent years what with various PR disasters ? Would 'Continental' be a better choice now ? What's in a name and does it really make much of a difference to the general flying public ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: seat1a and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos