Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richiemo
Topic Author

Boarding abuses

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Is it me, or does anyone else suspect that more and more people are abusing the boarding process and boarding earlier than they’re supposed to. Think about it; most people scan their phone or boarding pass themselves. The airline gate staff doesn’t even see them so how do they know what zone everyone is. I’m premier on UAL. So I get economy plus. Over the past several months, I’m forced to put my carry-on way towards the back, and I’m group 2!!!! That was never the case before. I can’t help but think more and more people are boarding in the wrong zone. That, or way too many people are qualifying for zones 1 and 2. Maybe this is more a UAL issue. But something seems off. It’s getting to the point where I’m going to have to check my luggage - despite being premier.

IADCA

Re: Boarding abuses

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 pm

richiemo wrote:
Is it me, or does anyone else suspect that more and more people are abusing the boarding process and boarding earlier than they’re supposed to. Think about it; most people scan their phone or boarding pass themselves. The airline gate staff doesn’t even see them so how do they know what zone everyone is. I’m premier on UAL. So I get economy plus. Over the past several months, I’m forced to put my carry-on way towards the back, and I’m group 2!!!! That was never the case before. I can’t help but think more and more people are boarding in the wrong zone. That, or way too many people are qualifying for zones 1 and 2. Maybe this is more a UAL issue. But something seems off. It’s getting to the point where I’m going to have to check my luggage - despite being premier.

It's a UAL issue, but it's not that people are boarding in the wrong zone. (You'd know if they were: the boarding scanner makes a horribly obnoxious sound when they try - I had someone from Group 2 try to cut in front of me to do it just this weekend.) The issue is that UA changed the boarding groups. Now that Golds get Zone 1 and 1Ks pre-board, you suddenly have a lot more people ahead of you in line if you're Zone 2. Sitting in E+ actually makes it worse since anyone in Group 1 (Gold and higher) is automatically able to select an E+ seat at booking when they pay for a regular economy ticket.

Wednesdayite

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm

richiemo wrote:

I can't recall exactly which flight (and therefore which airline - though it was either UNITED or DELTA), but on a flight from DEN last year a passenger just in front of me tried to board too early. When he scanned his phone, the machine told the attendant he was trying to board in the wrong group and he was sent away.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

richiemo
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm

Ok. Fair enough. Glad the machines alert everyone. Then shame on united for making being premier more of a drag then sitting in the back. They’re really not doin a lot we’ll these days IMHO

Judge1310

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 pm

OMG, the absolute HORROR of not having one's carry-on luggage right above them in the overhead locker. Pure trash of an airline, eh?

Heaven forbid you having to gate check a bag...

ncflyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 pm

It can be a bigger drag for people paying for economy plus legroom who don’t have status, you’re often in the last group before basic economy. There are signs on the bins to save the luggage space for e+ passengers but talk about something hard to enforce.

KUZAWU08

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 pm

The overhead bin isn’t a cargo compartment, it’s for securing personal items in the cabin. I’m not sure when it became yet another cargo compartment, and the fact that everyone insists on placing their 30+ pound bags there (which they will not touch during the flight) concerns me from a weight and balance standpoint. My suggestion... complimentary GATE check your bag through to final destination! Much safer... it’s accounted for in cargo, you won’t elbow some poor sap while trying to get it out of the overhead bin, and you don’t have to lug it across the airport. (Let someone else do the work). I started putting any essential items for the flight (maybe even toiletries/extra clothes) in a backpack or briefcase.

spinkid

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:03 am

KUZAWU08 wrote:
The overhead bin isn’t a cargo compartment, it’s for securing personal items in the cabin. I’m not sure when it became yet another cargo compartment, and the fact that everyone insists on placing their 30+ pound bags there (which they will not touch during the flight) concerns me from a weight and balance standpoint. My suggestion... complimentary GATE check your bag through to final destination! Much safer... it’s accounted for in cargo, you won’t elbow some poor sap while trying to get it out of the overhead bin, and you don’t have to lug it across the airport. (Let someone else do the work). I started putting any essential items for the flight (maybe even toiletries/extra clothes) in a backpack or briefcase.

I seem to recall roller bags in the overhead ummmmm, my whole flying life, at least 30 years. Its nothing new and I feel pretty confident its not impacting the weight and balance of any large AC.

Your suggestion of a complimentary GATE check is spot on however. Its nice to fly with a small bag and avoid baggage claim and the fees. I've seen lots of airlines offer free checked bags at the gate. Especially nice if you are making a connection.

Indy

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 am

People carry on their luggage because they are too cheap to pay the bag fees. I'd like to see airlines make checked bags free and start charging people for carry-on luggage and large bags. This would speed up the boarding process and put an end to all of this nonsense. This didn't used to be a problem until the checked bag fees showed up.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

ikramerica

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 am

Judge1310 wrote:
OMG, the absolute HORROR of not having one's carry-on luggage right above them in the overhead locker. Pure trash of an airline, eh?

I want to have an eye on my stuff.

You might be the one to steal my things...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Airstud

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 am

richiemo wrote:
Ok. Fair enough. Glad the machines alert everyone. Then shame on united for making being premier more of a drag then sitting in the back. They’re really not doin a lot we’ll these days IMHO

I lived in SFO for ≈16 years and took them more times than I can now count, without a single complaint. That was of course in the pre-Smisek years.

Under Smisek, United didn't just quit being a customer-focused company, it became a putridly anti-customer company - and this was amply evident long before the dragging of Dr. Dao.
Pancakes are delicious.

AtomicGarden

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:43 am

Another boarding abuse: in my company, while probably not strictly enforced, you cannot/shouldn't be able to ask for a wheelchair for a single flight, you gotta have it for the whole itinerary or fill a medical form. Many people took advantage of it when flying from the USA to pass thru security faster!
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

ikramerica

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:43 am

KUZAWU08 wrote:

When they put doors on them. But a lot was different.

Used to be for hats and coats. You carried a briefcase or small bag which was stored under seat or by friendly staff. Airlines provided magazines and newspapers and playing cards. Planes were 1/2 empty, especially on some segments of milk runs.

Luggage service was complementary. Airports had ample porter services to assist anyone who needed it.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Judge1310

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:55 am

ikramerica wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

I want to have an eye on my stuff.

You might be the one to steal my things...

I'm going to presume you're being facetious there...

IPFreely

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 am

United has created a problem for itself by making Premier Silver status too easy to obtain. I was on a full MDT-ORD flight last year with an exceptionally long "group 2" line; the gate agent mentioned that about three-fourths of the passengers on that flight were Premier Silver or higher. When another passenger asked if that was unusual she said it was, but half was common. When 50-75% of the passengers expect preferential treatment due to being "premier", some of the "premier, but less premier" ones are bound to be disappointed.

United should consider upping the requirements for their Tiers to provide more differentiated benefits for their true frequent fliers -- instead of a "you're special, just like everyone else" approach. Or maybe the Silver level should be eliminated altogether.

antoniemey

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:49 am

IPFreely wrote:
United has created a problem for itself by making Premier Silver status too easy to obtain. I was on a full MDT-ORD flight last year with an exceptionally long "group 2" line; the gate agent mentioned that about three-fourths of the passengers on that flight were Premier Silver or higher. When another passenger asked if that was unusual she said it was, but half was common. When 50-75% of the passengers expect preferential treatment due to being "premier", some of the "premier, but less premier" ones are bound to be disappointed.

United should consider upping the requirements for their Tiers to provide more differentiated benefits for their true frequent fliers -- instead of a "you're special, just like everyone else" approach. Or maybe the Silver level should be eliminated altogether.

It's just as much that they give it as a promo for a few months via certain programs with continuation for a full year possible if you fly x number of times during the promo period as it is easy to obtain.

Truth be told, though, Silver doesn't get much beyond the higher boarding priority and very slim possibility of an upgrade.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Pudelhund

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:08 am

Indy wrote:
People carry on their luggage because they are too cheap to pay the bag fees. I'd like to see airlines make checked bags free and start charging people for carry-on luggage and large bags. This would speed up the boarding process and put an end to all of this nonsense. This didn't used to be a problem until the checked bag fees showed up.

And just make carry-ons free for status holders (the frequent flyers). Problem solved. All the tourists will check their bags, and keep the necessities in their personal bag or pay for the convenience of a carry-on.

IPFreely

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:56 am

antoniemey wrote:
Truth be told, though, Silver doesn't get much beyond the higher boarding priority and very slim possibility of an upgrade.

You're right. But it still creates a problem as shown by this thread, where Silvers expect priority over most passengers even if most passengers are also Silver.

smallmj

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 pm

Some ULCCs charge for both full sized carry-on and checked baggage, but they charge a bit less for checked baggage. That probably helps with boarding and bin space.

Indy

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
Indy wrote:

And just make carry-ons free for status holders (the frequent flyers). Problem solved. All the tourists will check their bags, and keep the necessities in their personal bag or pay for the convenience of a carry-on.

Normally I'd be 100% behind it but these are some of the worst offenders. I've seen some of them with a roller bag, a soft side bag stacked on top of that, while carrying their laptop bag and a jacket. And if we are talking about a female traveler you can throw in a purse on top of that. If people with status are going to have a free bag then it must fit in the template and only one piece. It needs to be strictly enforced. In fact if they come with more than one piece or it doesn't it in the template then they should be forced to pay a bag fee of lets say $25 for the first bag and $50 for each piece after that. There are far too many of these types of people traveling with status. Strict enforcement would be an absolutely must. I'd be all for a $100 fee each time someone says "do you know who I am?" in objection to a bag fee. :-)
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Pudelhund

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:57 pm

IPFreely wrote:
antoniemey wrote:

You're right. But it still creates a problem as shown by this thread, where Silvers expect priority over most passengers even if most passengers are also Silver.

Most passengers are silver?

IADCA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
antoniemey wrote:

Not all the time, but - as the context above demonstrates - there are a number of flights in UA's system where you sometimes see 50%+ of the plane on the complimentary upgrade request list, meaning they're all at least Silvers. I've seen SFO-IAD upgrade lists with 90 names on them on 737-800s.

Pudelhund

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 pm

IADCA wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Not all the time, but - as the context above demonstrates - there are a number of flights in UA's system where you sometimes see 50%+ of the plane on the complimentary upgrade request list, meaning they're all at least Silvers. I've seen SFO-IAD upgrade lists with 90 names on them on 737-800s.

That has to be in the extreme minority of flights, and even so, if half the cabin is disincentived from bringing a carry on bag, that is still a lot better than it is now.

IADCA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
IADCA wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

That has to be in the extreme minority of flights, and even so, if half the cabin is disincentived from bringing a carry on bag, that is still a lot better than it is now.

It's certainly the extreme minority, but I was just pointing out that it does happen. I'd be interested to see how the carry-on charge would work in terms of money. Some people would almost certainly pay it just to avoid waiting for checked bags or avoiding the possibility of bags missing the flight. And one interesting point about the situation now on UA is that elites get free checked bags (1 for silver, 2 for gold, more higher), so you have some form of incentive already pulling in the same direction. Despite having free checked bags, I still almost never check one, and I might even pay to avoid checking one (if I didn't have status). Perhaps there is a middle ground - charging for carryons that don't fit under the seat - as what we're really discussing here is bin space, and that's disproportionately hogged by huge roll-aboards.

N776AU

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Indy wrote:

Most of my flights are on either Southwest or Delta. Anecdotally, I've noticed almost 100% of the time the Southwest flight will board significantly faster than a Delta flight on an aircraft of comparable size. I always figured this was the reason why.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

evank516

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
IADCA wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Not to mention SFO-IAD is a hub to hub route for United, so I'd expect to see lots of Silvers and higher. Silver is nice for certain things, but not others. I'm also not a fan of boarding early unless I'm in first class. What do I need to take extra time to sit on a plane for? Just because I boarded early doesn't mean I'm leaving any earlier.

IADCA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:27 pm

evank516 wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Not to mention SFO-IAD is a hub to hub route for United, so I'd expect to see lots of Silvers and higher. Silver is nice for certain things, but not others. I'm also not a fan of boarding early unless I'm in first class. What do I need to take extra time to sit on a plane for? Just because I boarded early doesn't mean I'm leaving any earlier.

Well yes, that is why it has so many elites, but the whole premise of the OP demonstrates one value of early boarding: your carry-on won't end up 20 rows behind you.

evank516

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:53 pm

IADCA wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Well yes, that is why it has so many elites, but the whole premise of the OP demonstrates one value of early boarding: your carry-on won't end up 20 rows behind you.

Yes, that is true. However Elites can check bags for free, maybe they should be encouraged somehow to do so, though I don't know how United could do that. With Delta, Gold and Platinum Medallion get two free checked bags up to 70 lbs each. I think Diamond gets 3 at 70 lbs each, and Silver gets one at 70 lbs. I never do carry on unless I have a tight connection because it doesn't cost me anything to check.

IADCA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:03 pm

evank516 wrote:
IADCA wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Yes, that is true. However Elites can check bags for free, maybe they should be encouraged somehow to do so, though I don't know how United could do that. With Delta, Gold and Platinum Medallion get two free checked bags up to 70 lbs each. I think Diamond gets 3 at 70 lbs each, and Silver gets one at 70 lbs. I never do carry on unless I have a tight connection because it doesn't cost me anything to check.

And as discussed, I hardly ever check them despite getting 3 free. Most of my trips are short enough that I don't need to, and there are relatively few things I want to do less at 5 am after getting off a redeye than wait 20 minutes for a suitcase that I could have carried myself without worrying about it getting lost or getting my stuff stolen.

Pudelhund

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:39 pm

IADCA wrote:
evank516 wrote:
IADCA wrote:

And as discussed, I hardly ever check them despite getting 3 free. Most of my trips are short enough that I don't need to, and there are relatively few things I want to do less at 5 am after getting off a redeye than wait 20 minutes for a suitcase that I could have carried myself without worrying about it getting lost or getting my stuff stolen.

I think you are missing the point of the suggestion. The suggestion is not for travelers like you. The suggestion is for enough price-sensitive leisure travelers to check large roller bags that would they would otherwise put in the overhead bin. If this reduced the number of overhead bin carry-one by even like 25%, it would go a long way to alleviating the bin space issue and lower boarding times in the process.

IADCA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
IADCA wrote:
evank516 wrote:

I think you are missing the point of the suggestion. The suggestion is not for travelers like you. The suggestion is for enough price-sensitive leisure travelers to check large roller bags that would they would otherwise put in the overhead bin. If this reduced the number of overhead bin carry-one by even like 25%, it would go a long way to alleviating the bin space issue and lower boarding times in the process.

No, I'm not - which is why I think it's an idea worth exploring. I think the world has changed enough in the past ten years that the value proposition of checked versus carry-on is now different enough that charging a premium for large carry-ons is an idea worth exploring. I'd think that's pretty clear from at least one of my posts, as well as being strongly implied by the fact that given the choice of carry-on (free) and checked (also free), I consistently choose the former.

opticalilyushin

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Indy wrote:

+1 for what you are saying, Indy! :bigthumbsup:

IPFreely

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18 am

Pudelhund wrote:

Not that extreme. For sure weekend flights and flights to tourist destinations will have a limited number of FF's. But try flying a business route at a popular time. Like a weekday DCA-ORD in late afternoon/evening, a flight I have taken frequently. It's pretty normal for over half the plane to be Premier and board in Groups 1 & 2. If every Premier thinks their status is getting them on ahead of others to grab overhead bin space, the ones at the end of the Group 2 line are going to find out otherwise.

Perhaps UA needs to increase the requirements to qualify for Silver or demote Silvers to Group 3 boarding.

seb146

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:56 am

I don't understand the need to board first or at least ahead of nearly everyone else. This has never made sense to me. I have been on WN and DL in the past five years. Both are easy enough to board but I just don't get "lemme on first!" mentality. We are all going on the same metal tube, breathing the same air.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!