evank516
Topic Author

Frequent Travelers: How do you maintain or lose weight?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:23 pm

If this needs to be moved to a different thread, feel free to move it.

I know there are many, many frequent travelers on here, myself included. I can't imagine everyone else but myself on here is blessed with that fast metabolism that many of us wish we had, so I thought I would reach out to other frequent travelers to see what your method was for maintaining, or losing weight while still traveling around the country or the world on a frequent basis. I've been struggling with my weight all my life, I pretty much kept the same diet routine (with the exception of trying to eat like a normal person instead of barely eating at all on some days) since 2014. It worked for a long time, I lost over 100 lbs. Now, over the last year, I gained 20. My travel has skyrocketed and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon, so I thought I'd see what others in my boat may do to try to maintain their weight or keep their weight loss efforts from being interrupted. Do you use the exercise equipment at your hotel? Do you maybe not go out to eat that night after a long meeting or event? What works best for you?

cofannyc

Re: Frequent Travelers: How do you maintain or lose weight?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm

A couple of things that I do when traveling that has allowed me to keep losing weight through 2018 and into 2019 even though travel was quite high:

* Wake up in the morning to get some sort of physical exercise in (I would normally work out at night, but too easy to make excuses after a day of work)
* Plan! If I know I have an evening event or drinks with a client or whatnot, I eat lighter during the day
* I carry protein bars and other decent snacks with me (easy to pop a few in my laptop bag) so that I can skip calorie laden hotel breakfasts
* Don't feel like you have to eat just because things are free. I spend a lot of time in lounges and on planes, but never feel a compulsion to eat everything and drink everything just because it's included in my ticket price

evank516
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:56 pm

cofannyc wrote:
A couple of things that I do when traveling that has allowed me to keep losing weight through 2018 and into 2019 even though travel was quite high:

* Wake up in the morning to get some sort of physical exercise in (I would normally work out at night, but too easy to make excuses after a day of work)
* Plan! If I know I have an evening event or drinks with a client or whatnot, I eat lighter during the day
* I carry protein bars and other decent snacks with me (easy to pop a few in my laptop bag) so that I can skip calorie laden hotel breakfasts
* Don't feel like you have to eat just because things are free. I spend a lot of time in lounges and on planes, but never feel a compulsion to eat everything and drink everything just because it's included in my ticket price

The last one really resonates with me. If I get upgraded to first class I never say no to more snacks or drinks to the point where I don't even want to be upgraded anymore.

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:00 pm

What, an endless supply of bloody marys and biscoffs isn’t part of a sound health regimen?

I travel once a week during the busy months, but I never control myself on planes. I go all in. I just eat healthy and get in exercise when I am not on a plane. The easiest thing to do is just limit processed carbs, sugar, and seed oils and eat infrequently.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 pm

I'm not a frequent flyer myself, only a few times a year. However I'm pleased to be one of those people that can eat anything and not put on any weight. According to my length I'm too skinny but it just won't come on. I don't really care, I feel fit and that's what's most important.

I do notice that, the few times I do fly, I eat more than regularly and most importantly more fat. That's allright, I can have it. What also plays a role is that I'm kind of on a budget and therefor pick the cheapest available tickets. This makes that I don't have access to lounges and the food on board is mostly buy-on-board. To save a few bucks I often bring my own food on board instead of buying it (which I also often end up doing). One of the things I always bring on board is a piece of fruit as they don't have that on board by default.

LAXintl

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Stay active and moderate your food intake while keeping to as much a regular schedule/routine as you can.

While travelling I tend prefer to eat a more normal meal in the lounge and only nibble on food on planes. I avoid all sweets and alcohol onboard also.
At my destination will ensure I get regular exercise whether this is getting 10,000 steps walking the streets or in a mall, or an actual workout based on available facilities.

Yes travel can easily destroy your home routines, with a bit of discipline and planning you should still be able to accomplish your goals when on the road.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cofannyc

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:32 am

evank516 wrote:
cofannyc wrote:

The last one really resonates with me. If I get upgraded to first class I never say no to more snacks or drinks to the point where I don't even want to be upgraded anymore.

This also applies to hotel/conference buffets and daily expense allowances for me. I never feel the need to spend the maximum amount my company will reimburse. If I usually eat a chicken breast and veggies for dinner, I try to get something close not get a 94 oz steak and fries because I can.

Also at hotel/conference buffets, I do a loop to see what's on offer before I start filling up. That way I can eat the things I prefer, but not end up with 5 plates because I kept seeing more things once I started filling up a plate.

seat64k

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 am

Slow metabolism is a bit of a misnomer. Metabolism "speed" is determined by energy demand. People with a "fast metabolism" simply expend more energy one way or another. Mainly two:

[*] Deliberate exercise
[*] NEAT - Non-Exercise activity thermogenesis: energy expended that is everything except eating, sleeping and exercise. So everything from walking scratching your belly to working in the garden.

Travel presents us with lots of opportunities to increase (or decrease) NEAT. My shortlist:

[*] Get enough sleep! This is probably the most important. Sleep deprivation affects your ability to make good food decisions, and will make you less active. Ear plugs and an eye mask are your friends.
[*] Particularly when dealing with timezone changes, get a workout in as soon as you arrive. Hit it hard. It will definitely help with sleep on the first night.
[*] Skipping a meal every now or then when circumstances demand isn't a problem, but consistently under-eating has the same effect as not sleeping enough. To make it worse, it will degrade your sleep quality, causing a nasty feedback loop.
[*] Walk whenever you can. When I travel I only take public transport when it's not possible to walk (either dangerous or roads that don't make this easy). Especially when I'm traveling for pleasure, I walk as much as I can.
[*] Never sit down in an airport. Walk walk walk. I walk up and down every part of the terminal building. It helps that I'm interested in aircraft, I enjoy the view, but still. Walking is a great way to increase energy expenditure.
[*] Take the stairs. Always take the stairs.
[*] Carry your suitcase. Yes they have wheels. Carry it anyway.
[*] Restaurant food can be hazardous. Restaurants ramp up butter and salt to maximise the flavour. Salt is one thing, but butter is super calorie dense (as any fat is). 250g of mashed potato has the same number of calories as the spoon full of butter added to cream it up a bit. And you know they're not just using one spoon.
[*] Don't eat the nuts. Nuts are often provided as a snack - with food, before food, after food, with a drink, while waiting somewhere, on the aircraft, wherever. Most nuts are more than 500 kcal per 100g, and it's super easy to overeat on.

For my prefer to find a nearby local gym but I'll use the hotel gym if that's the only option. If neither option are available, see if the hotel has a pool, swim some laps. If that's out of the question, walk. If it's not safe out side, walk up and down the hotel corridors. I also do bodyweight exercises in the hotel room. Push ups, leg raises, squats, planks, static holds, etc.

If I travel somewhere where food - particular protein sources - might be an issue, I take some canned tuna, dried meat, protein bars, whatever I have handy.

ExpatVet

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am

Hotel gyms are a lifesaver. Don't need to do a full workout, but a 20-30 min walk in the morning gets you moving and any bit of exercise is a help. Also, alcoholic beverages are high calorie, plus if you're doing networking events, lots of little nibbles add up, alas.

Yep, I stood on the scale this morning. Oops. :p
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

dredgy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:52 am

Eat the local food.
I work 12-18 hour days at home, 7 days a week, so I’m often having fast food for breakfast, lunch, dinner. My metabolism is very fast, but it adds up. Even a week away sees me losing huge amounts of weight as I stick to local food. Also fixes my otherwise constant stomach problems, I’m the only person I know who’s gone to Delhi and had a big improvement in bowel movements.

Also walk everywhere. I hate hotel gyms - if I’ve got the opportunity to be in another city, I want to be out there seeing it, so usually walk a couple of hours a day, to and from appointments. (I do this at home as well)

NotCrazyPlane

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Eat healthy and make sure to get enough movement. Don't drink too much alcohol, it is bad on planes anyway.

blink182

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Echoing the above. Working out in the morning is easier than the afternoon when I have an array of excuses to not. If no gym, then request extra towels and work out in your room. If staying in a city center or tourist area i’ll run outside rather than the gym to sneak in some sightseeing.

Diet-wise, 99.9% of hotel and airport croissants, cookies, muffins, fries, and burgers taste identically to each other no matter where in the world you are. Skip those and save the calories for the good spot in town with your team/client. That, and don’t eat because you’re bored and need to pass time.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

syvjeff

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:26 pm

I’m fighting the same battle being a relatively new road warrior. Here’s what I’ve been doing to watch the waistline.
*Drink lots of water- I’ve been carrying a water bottle with me the last 2 years and it helps everything from jet lag to just feeling better.
*Instead of airport restaurant food, I’ve been grabbing prepackaged fruits and vegetables.
*I use an Apple Watch to count my steps, so while at airport I walk the concourses. I’m at PHX today and started in MIA and have just under 10,000 steps in.
*I’ll admit I enjoy a good drink while I travel, but even at home I’m making it a point to cut down on the liquid calories.

UPlog

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:18 pm

An international pilot here.

Pretty simple - eat in moderation, and stay active.

Just because free food is shoved in your face, or you are an expense account does not mean you need to overeat or make bad choices.
Also stay active - at very least get a good walk in if you are not the gym exercise type person.

And yes, alcohol is not helpful in the air or on the ground and getting a good amount of sleep matters also.

janders

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Don't stuff your face, and exercise.

Both require self-control and discipline.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 pm

seat64k wrote:
[*] Restaurant food can be hazardous. Restaurants ramp up butter and salt to maximise the flavour. Salt is one thing, but butter is super calorie dense (as any fat is). 250g of mashed potato has the same number of calories as the spoon full of butter added to cream it up a bit. And you know they're not just using one spoon.

Salt is dangerous too, it makes you thirsty and want to order a drink. Most drinks contain lots of calories and thus make you fat. Instead of those high-calorie drinks, drink water or other low-calorie drinks like milk or fresh fruit juices. Soft drinks are known to contain lots of sugar which your body converts into fat. Same is true with pre-packed fruit juices, they can hardly be called juices anymore. Also be careful with alcohol, some alcoholic drinks also contain a lot of sugar and alcohol doesn't exactly help you burn fat.

LH658

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 pm

Choosing healthy foods to eat, eating at proper times like lunch at 12 or 1, dinner before 10. Obviously exercising.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:21 pm

LH658 wrote:
eating at proper times like lunch at 12 or 1, dinner before 10.

That can be difficult when flying through a good number of time zones.

I remember when I was flying to Los Angeles. I got up around 3 am and had breakfast. Then went to Eindhoven airport where my first flight left around 7 am. Around 8:30 am I landed in Copenhagen. That was 5 and a half hours after breakfast, so about lunch time. Since my flight to Los Angeles didn't include a meal I had decided to switch lunch and dinner around, so I had a good warm lunch in Copenhagen. Then it was time to board my flight to Los Angeles which left around noon.

Around 6 pm (dinner time) I took my lunch package that I had prepared at home out of my hand luggage and had dinner. But wait a moment! That was 6 pm European time, but 9 am Los Angeles time. Who has dinner at 9 am? I didn't care, for me it was 6 pm. Time to get a few hours of sleep, for as well as that went (not very well).

When the plane finally landed around 3 pm Los Angeles time (midnight back home) and after clearing immigration two hours later I felt hungry again, but was it time for breakfast or dinner? Looking at the clock (Los Angeles time) I decided it was time for dinner, even though my last meal had been dinner.

By the time I arrived at my AirBnB address I had been awake for 24 hours, not counting the attempted sleep on the plane. I didn't really sleep anyway, but made up for that afterwards. Surprisingly I woke up at a reasonable time (9 am Los Angeles time) and felt fit, no jetlag at all. Only I still had to go to the supermarket to get breakfast, I had felt too tired for that the night before.

VSMUT

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:32 am

Limit you meals, avoid snacks and sugary drinks.

For breakfast, don't go for the cooked breakfast, but try to find a bowl of cereals or similar. Instead of bringing yoghurt with you to the room, take some fruit. No more than 1 glass of juice. Avoid eggs and bacon.

If you have problems with restaurant portion sizing, try to keep restaurant visits down to just 1 per day. Find a supermarket and get something light for lunch, like a salad. At restaurants, avoid beef and pork, stick to vegetarian, chicken or seafood.

Keep some fruit or vegetables in your room for when you want some snacks.

Make sure to exercise multiple times daily. Take the stairs. Walk instead of taking a taxi or bus. Find a way to count your steps, and aim for a minimum of 10.000 per day. Get 8 hours of sleep daily. Don't worry about tucking in and sleeping a few hours more and skipping breakfast from time to time. Go sightseeing by foot.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That can be difficult when flying through a good number of time zones.

You can add night-flying to that. You will get hungry roughly every 6 hours you are awake, corresponding to breakfast-lunch-dinner. Stay awake overnight and you will start craving something about midnight again. Fighting the circadian rythm is tough, the body will start screaming for energy of any sort in order to stay awake and warm.

9w748capt

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:18 am

Lots of good advice in this thread! Except:

VSMUT wrote:

For breakfast, don't go for the cooked breakfast, but try to find a bowl of cereals or similar. Instead of bringing yoghurt with you to the room, take some fruit.

What's wrong with yogurt? Yogurt is one of the healthiest breakfast foods, IMO. High in protein and (potentially) low-fat and low-carb. Combined with fruit, that is quite a healthy breakfast! What on earth is the problem with yogurt?

Coal

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:04 am

1) Fruits, egg whites, and whole wheat toast for breakfast. Nothing else. Best is to order a car and then go for breakfast, so you have limited time and don't get tempted by the buffet

2) I usually have a 5 min lunch in between meetings. Lean protein, veggies, brown rice, or a salad or wrap. I have so little time I usually only manage to eat half

3) Always, always, always get the salmon with veggies for dinner. I have been to some pretty remote places, e.g. in Central Java, and the hotel had the salmon on the room service menu

4) Go to the gym daily. Even 15-30 mins daily is better than not going at all if you think you can't get a full workout

5) Skip airplane food. If you must eat on the airplane, order the low fat / low calorie meal or the fruit platter
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

VSMUT

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:44 am

9w748capt wrote:

VSMUT wrote:

For breakfast, don't go for the cooked breakfast, but try to find a bowl of cereals or similar. Instead of bringing yoghurt with you to the room, take some fruit.

What's wrong with yogurt? Yogurt is one of the healthiest breakfast foods, IMO. High in protein and (potentially) low-fat and low-carb. Combined with fruit, that is quite a healthy breakfast! What on earth is the problem with yogurt?

"Instead of bringing yoghurt with you to the room, take some fruit."

Many people bring some light food with them to the room after breakfast.

Yoghurt at hotels are also mostly the kind that is packed with sugar.

9w748capt

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:06 pm

VSMUT wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

VSMUT wrote:

The only people I see hoarding food from hotel buffets are Chinese tourists. Still quite irresponsible of you to try to claim that yogurt is in any way unhealthy.

It's also extremely easy to get plain yogurt at hotels. Just ask.

VSMUT

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Still quite irresponsible of you to try to claim that yogurt is in any way unhealthy.

Then I shall remain irresponsible :praise:

Osiris

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm

9w748capt wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

The only people I see hoarding food from hotel buffets are Chinese tourists. Still quite irresponsible of you to try to claim that yogurt is in any way unhealthy.

Yes, plain yoghurt i.e. natural, plain Greek-style yogurt does have various health benefits and is fine nutritionally.

Almost all other yogurts are packed with sugar and are pretty horrendous nutritionally.

It is irresponsible to say "yogurt is good for you" when, most of the time, this is completely incorrect.

9w748capt

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Osiris wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Yes, plain yoghurt i.e. natural, plain Greek-style yogurt does have various health benefits and is fine nutritionally.

Almost all other yogurts are packed with sugar and are pretty horrendous nutritionally.

Saying, "yogurt is good for you" is, most of the time, completely incorrect and would make you the irresponsible one.

The hell it is. As if the sugary yogurts are any worse than the other carb-laden choices often available at hotels. In the context of hotel buffets, yogurt is almost universally the healthiest option on the menu. At least yogurt still has a high protein content and improves gut health by restoring natural flora. You guys have obviously no idea what you're talking about so please stick to what you know. To say that yogurt is bad for you in the context of hotel breakfast spreads - that is so mind bogglingly asinine of a statement, even by a.net standards.

Osiris

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Osiris wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Saying, "yogurt is good for you" is, most of the time, completely incorrect and would make you the irresponsible one.

The hell it is. As if the sugary yogurts are any worse than the other carb-laden choices often available at hotels. In the context of hotel buffets, yogurt is almost universally the healthiest option on the menu. At least yogurt still has a high protein content and improves gut health by restoring natural flora. You guys have obviously no idea what you're talking about so please stick to what you know. To say that yogurt is bad for you in the context of hotel breakfast spreads - that is so mind bogglingly asinine of a statement, even by a.net standards.

Just because yogurt is slightly better than other sugary foods available at breakfast it does not make it "healthy", as you claim.

Like I said, anything other than plain, natural Greek-style isn't even remotely healthy. It's just another crashy carb.

You seem to be getting quite irate about this too... which is odd. Sorry to have to correct you, but I don't like the idea of people spreading bad info and then accusing others of doing likewise.

VSMUT

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:21 pm

9w748capt wrote:

The thread is about losing weight with a travel-intensive lifestyle. Debating that sugary yoghurts is in any way healthy for you in this context is nonsense, just stay away from them.

And I second the thing about your odd reaction.

9w748capt

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:31 pm

VSMUT wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

The thread is about losing weight with a travel-intensive lifestyle. Debating that sugary yoghurts is in any way healthy for you in this context is nonsense, just stay away from them.

You didn't say "sugary yogurts" in your original post, you said "take fruit to your room instead of yogurt." If you'd clarified that you meant sugary yogurts that would be one thing, but you didn't. And it's just a fact that while sugary yogurts are sugary like everything else, they still offer the general health benefits of yogurt. If you're trying to maintain/lose weight, yogurt is among the healthiest foods out there to help you do it. If you guys don't want to eat yogurt then by my guest, more for the rest of us!

trpmb6

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:58 pm

I actually find that when I'm traveling a lot I lead a much healthier lifestyle. Actually having time to use a gym? That would be a blessing. When I'm home I barely have enough me time as it is. Unfortunately the cost for travel is far worse - missing out on moments with the kids - practices and games missed etc. I'd rather have the struggle to stay healthy at home while juggling the parent life than have the luxury to work out whenever I want while traveling.

VSMUT

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

9w748capt wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

You didn't say "sugary yogurts" in your original post, you said "take fruit to your room instead of yogurt." If you'd clarified that you meant sugary yogurts that would be one thing, but you didn't. And it's just a fact that while sugary yogurts are sugary like everything else, they still offer the general health benefits of yogurt. If you're trying to maintain/lose weight, yogurt is among the healthiest foods out there to help you do it. If you guys don't want to eat yogurt then by my guest, more for the rest of us!

I checked the last 2 breakfast buffets I passed through, in a 5 star and a 4 star hotel belonging to major hotel chains. Not a single one had healthy yoghurts. Off the top of my head, I only experienced 2 hotels out of the hundreds I visited that offered the healthy variant. So yes, I will continue to maintain that yoghurt in a hotel isn't going to help you lose weight.

N14AZ

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:44 am

Some very good advices here in this thread.
cofannyc wrote:

I prefer to do it in the evening and to skip dinner. Over the years I became addicted to treadmills... :-) In some good hotels they have very good machines, I love those where you can follow a trail in Grand Canyon, New Zealand or Tibet on your screen.
cofannyc wrote:

I also do this. Usually you know when you will get invited. So I skip lunch or dinner accordingly. It did not work though in one city in China, where people were so proud about their breakfast culture. So our partner invited us for breakfast, lunch AND dinner... pheeew
cofannyc wrote:

Exactly. This was a lesson I had to learn at the beginning.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:15 pm

I agree, there are tons of good tips in here! I'm gluten intolerant so whole wheat toast is obviously a no no for me, but there are lots of other options in here. I think from now on I'll be packing some work out clothes and trying to hit the hotel gym at least once during my trip. I'm usually away on weekends and I work out at home 5 days per week (when I'm not traveling) using an elliptical machine. I think I can manage 30 minutes on a treadmill while I'm gone. Might be good to switch it up anyway. Most of the hotels I use for work are LaQuintas and Choice Hotels so I don't expect much in the way of amenities, but my normal lifestyle at home involves low carb Monday through Thursday, carbs allowed Friday to Sunday, but gluten free 7 days a week. Thanks for your advice everyone! I'm going to give a few of these ideas a try.

9w748capt

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:59 pm

VSMUT wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I checked the last 2 breakfast buffets I passed through, in a 5 star and a 4 star hotel belonging to major hotel chains. Not a single one had healthy yoghurts. Off the top of my head, I only experienced 2 hotels out of the hundreds I visited that offered the healthy variant. So yes, I will continue to maintain that yoghurt in a hotel isn't going to help you lose weight.

Good for you. Literally every hotel we've ever stayed at had plain yogurt on offer. Keep pounding this ridiculous "advice" though, whatever makes you feel better.

seat64k

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 am

Osiris wrote:
Just because yogurt is slightly better than other sugary foods available at breakfast it does not make it "healthy", as you claim.

Like I said, anything other than plain, natural Greek-style isn't even remotely healthy. It's just another crashy carb.

You seem to be getting quite irate about this too... which is odd. Sorry to have to correct you, but I don't like the idea of people spreading bad info and then accusing others of doing likewise.

No one food is "healthy" on it's own. Fruit is healthy but if you eat nothing but fruit, your diet is far from healthy.

Furthermore, whether you eat plain unsweetened greek yoghurt or the sugary hotel yoghurt has no bearing on whether you lose or gain wait. See below.

VSMUT wrote:

Weight loss has nothing to do with weather a particular food is "healthy" or even sugary. Absolutely nothing. You can lose weight while eating nothing but Twinkies. Or Mcdonalds, if that's your bag. And still improve your bloodwork in the process. Weight loss has everything to do maintaining a caloric deficit.

In case you think I'm being facetious and can't be bothered to read the links, I'll summarise:

Mark Haub, professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, demonstrated how a caloric deficit works by maintaining a convenience store diet for 10 weeks. He ate Twinkies, Doritos, Oreos and other treats but limited his intake to 1800 kcal per day. He lost 27 lbs, BMI dropped from 28.8 to 24.9, LDL ("bad" cholesterol) decreased and HDL ("good" cholesterol) increased by 20% each, triglycerides went down 39% and body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/06/health/la-he-fitness-twinkie-diet-20101206
https://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/yes-you-canlose-weight-with-twinkies/

and

In an effort to challenge Morgan Spurlock's movie "Supersize Me", Ryan Williams dropped 16 lbs and went from 10.85% to 7.59% body fat while eating nothing but McDonalds. The difference is Spurlock ate around 5000 kcal a day while Williams limited himself to 2500, and later 2300.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/weight-loss-diet-fat-mcdonalds-calories-nutrition-super-size-me-ryan-williams-exercise-a8632016.html
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/weight-loss/29yearold-lost-weight-and-body-fat-by-only-eating-mcdonalds/news-story/70a1d95fe6c122d0da467ae2b3e04ef5

These experiments have been done with all manner of junk food. The result is always the same.

So fighting over sweetened vs unsweetened yoghurt for weight loss is futile. It doesn't matter. Just eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight.