HALFA
Topic Author

LATAM (JJ8151) GRU-LAS

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 pm

Does anyone here know if this flight is often weight restricted resulting in leaving either passengers or cargo/luggage behind in GRU? This flight is operated with a 767-300 and is scheduled at 13 hours and 15 minutes and the distance is 6,085 miles which seems close to this aircraft’s limitations. I am contemplating trying to fly as a non-rev pass rider next week but I don’t want to attempt it if there exists the possibility or even probability that I wont get a seat due to weight restrictions. Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated!

Mahalo!
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

FA9295

Re: LATAM (JJ8151) GRU-LAS

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:32 am

What an odd route; and one that I never knew existed...

The longest 767-300 route is currently BCN-LIM, which is 6,225 miles (the flight number is LP2431).

I wouldn't worry about any weight restrictions on your flight. LATAM knows what they're doing, and with such a long and thin route like GRU-LAS, I doubt the plane will be filled up all the way. A good amount of seats will probably still be open right before take off.

Ytraveller

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:53 am

FA9295 wrote:

The longest 767-300 route is currently BCN-LIM, which is 6,225 miles (the flight number is LP2431).

I wouldn't worry about any weight restrictions on your flight. LATAM knows what they're doing, and with such a long and thin route like GRU-LAS, I doubt the plane will be filled up all the way. A good amount of seats will probably still be open right before take off.

Brazil has long been a major source of international visitors to LAS. This is the first nonstop flight between LAS and Brazil, and it operates seasonally 3x weekly.

EvanWSFO

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:04 am

FA9295 wrote:

I think the more odd LAS flight will be when LY starts it's 1x a week service from TLV. Still this is rather unique.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

crownvic

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:38 am

HALFA wrote:
Does anyone here know if this flight is often weight restricted resulting in leaving either passengers or cargo/luggage behind in GRU? This flight is operated with a 767-300 and is scheduled at 13 hours and 15 minutes and the distance is 6,085 miles which seems close to this aircraft’s limitations. I am contemplating trying to fly as a non-rev pass rider next week but I don’t want to attempt it if there exists the possibility or even probability that I wont get a seat due to weight restrictions. Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated!

Mahalo!
HALFA

If you are going as a non-rev pass rider, you must know somebody at LATAM that can check loads. No?

chepos

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:29 pm

If LAS does not work out you can always go to LAX on AA, that flight on the 789 does not take weight penalties. It gets you close enough to LAS, easy hop from LAX.
Fly the Flag!!!!

HALFA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 pm

As of last night, the flight was showing 70 open seats so in theory, I shouldn’t have a problem being on standby but I used to have bad luck trying to nonrev on Varig’s nonstop from GRU-LAX back in the day as it was often weight restricted so I just wanted to make sure before I decide to go out of my way and fly to GRU from GIG to get to LAS. And to Chepos, yes, thanks for that! I have taken this flight also and it works well when I am connecting to HNL on HA at LAX. Unfortunately, AA’s flight from GRU to LAX leaves one hour earlier than JJ’s flight from GRU- LAS so I would have to chose one or the other as I don’t think I could realistically try for both and my ultimate destination is LAS this time so the JJ flight would be ideal if it all works out!
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

PPVLC

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 am

HALFA wrote:
As of last night, the flight was showing 70 open seats so in theory, I shouldn’t have a problem being on standby but I used to have bad luck trying to nonrev on Varig’s nonstop from GRU-LAX back in the day as it was often weight restricted so I just wanted to make sure before I decide to go out of my way and fly to GRU from GIG to get to LAS. And to Chepos, yes, thanks for that! I have taken this flight also and it works well when I am connecting to HNL on HA at LAX. Unfortunately, AA’s flight from GRU to LAX leaves one hour earlier than JJ’s flight from GRU- LAS so I would have to chose one or the other as I don’t think I could realistically try for both and my ultimate destination is LAS this time so the JJ flight would be ideal if it all works out!

RG's GRU-LAX was frequently full and there were always crews bringing relatives to LAX, I think you couldn't find a more difficult flight to compare with.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747